Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It seems like there's too much smoke without fire to suggest that Barcelona aren't making a move for Suarez. Like someone else stated earlier, the real question is what exactly was said to Suarez last Summer when he signed the contract. If we promised him he could leave this time, then we really don't have a leg to stand on. The next question then is, if we've going to let him leave, then what's the story with the release clause. I've seen all sorts of speculation on this from £52M to £70M. Even with Suarez's ban, we should be standing firm on this. The player is quite clearly in the top 3 of attackers in the world an if Real and Barcelona are both interested, then they should expect to have to pay top whack. Finally, if the player goes, then no swap deals please. Give us all the money upfront and we can talk about Sanchez at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Ugh, get a room.

IK09 did say he was going to bed for a few days if Suarez gets sold....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Seaba wrote: »
    IK09 did say he was going to bed for a few days if Suarez gets sold....;)

Tears make the best lube.

I'm off to After Hours after that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

murpho999 wrote: »
    So are you saying that Suarez should only be sold if we can buy Ronaldo or Messi?

Yes.
    Not going to happen, so don't sell him.

If he is going Falcao/Aguero/players of that ilk must be bought to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

At the moment the only two players that could replace Suarez in regards influence, goals scoring & creating and importance are Messi and Ronaldo! Trying to replace Suarez with one player will be nigh on impossible!

What we (may) need to do is replace his contributions with 2/3/4 players (which is incidentally part of moneyball), and this is much easier said than done!

On the upside if we can replace Suarez's contribution with let's say 3 players, then we reduce our dependence on one individual!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    At the moment the only two players that could replace Suarez in regards influence, goals scoring & creating and importance are Messi and Ronaldo! Trying to replace Suarez with one player will be nigh on impossible!

What we (may) need to do is replace his contributions with 2/3/4 players (which is incidentally part of moneyball), and this is much easier said than done!

On the upside if we can replace Suarez's contribution with let's say 3 players, then we reduce our dependence on one individual!

I'm not sure we'll get away with playing 14 players, but I like the way you think, Taidgh.

Also we shouldn't be attempting to replace Suarez if he does leave! We should be looking to replace and improve on what he brought to us!

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not sure we'll get away with playing 14 players, but I like the way you think, Taidgh.

Meh....united fans were talking about playing 12 players in their thread the other night, so why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Yes.

nope

you buy the 'next' Falcao/Aguero/Ronaldo/Messi etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Maybe it's just me but I do not think Suarez himself wants to play for Liverpool again. I think his superb performances last year were about him getting in the shop window again. I don't think he ever had real Liverpool loyalty and I don't think he has much time for Rodgers. Just my theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Meh....united fans were talking about playing 12 players in their thread the other night, so why not?

Imminent Howard Webb joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe we can use some of the money we get to give Coutinho extra shooting lessons.:p

Grayditch wrote: »
    Imminent Howard Webb joke...

I made it at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Birroc wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I not think Suarez himself wants to play for Liverpool again. I think his superb performances last year were about him getting in the shop window again. I don't think he ever had real Liverpool loyalty and I don't think he has much time for Rodgers. Just my theory.

Players with loyalty to a specific club are few and far between these days. I would say Suarez is about as loyal to Liverpool as he was to Ajax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Players with loyalty to a specific club are few and far between these days. I would say Suarez is about as loyal to Liverpool as he was to Ajax.

He'll be back there though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/luis-suarez-liverpool-striker-says-he-wants-to-return-to-ajax-but-not-for-a-while-9339848.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes.

I think Liverpool are now contractually obliged to sell him. That's the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Always copying United aye :cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sappy404 wrote: »

If Lallana was worth 25 million they'd be comparing the egg to him.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If Lallana was worth 25 million they'd be comparing the egg to him.

Depends on which came first, Lallana or the egg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm sure he will :)

:pac: :D

Actually the club needs to ditch Warrior and sign with Adidas and they will fund the 'homecoming'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This lad's a bit of a spoofer, but:

Tor-Kristian Karlsen ‏@karlsentk 7m
    According to my sources it's between Liverpool and a new improved contract with Bayern for Xherdan Shaqiri

Not too enthused by the prospect, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The fact of the matter is Suarez is a ticking time bomb on a countdown clock to a lifetime ban from football. At that time he becomes useless to anyone.

Liverpool need to extract the full amount we can for him and make sure he isnt a Liverpool player when that happens.

You dont look to directly replace Suarez and say to another player, there you go now you do the same as Suarez did last season. You dont replace like for like. What you do is you change your system, direction and approach.

The same happened when Rush left to Juve. We didnt just replace him with Aldridge, we also got Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton and took a different approach.

I believe that Rodgers already has it in his head to play one man up front with 2 players out wide supporting him along with 3 in midfield running and supporting from deep.

you could end up with for example 3 up front of Sturridge with Sanchez and Sterling supporting from wide with back up in midfield from Lalanna/Henderson and Gerrard which doesnt look too bad to me along with subs that include Lambert/Coutinho/Shaqiri(markovic)/Lucas/Allen/Can along with maybe one or two others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He's been fantastic in the World Cup.

Birroc wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I do not think Suarez himself wants to play for Liverpool again. I think his superb performances last year were about him getting in the shop window again. I don't think he ever had real Liverpool loyalty and I don't think he has much time for Rodgers. Just my theory.

This is based on nothing.

I watched every Liverpool game last season and I can't remember a player actually caring as much as he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It seems like there's too much smoke without fire to suggest that Barcelona aren't making a move for Suarez. Like someone else stated earlier, the real question is what exactly was said to Suarez last Summer when he signed the contract. If we promised him he could leave this time, then we really don't have a leg to stand on. The next question then is, if we've going to let him leave, then what's the story with the release clause. I've seen all sorts of speculation on this from £52M to £70M. Even with Suarez's ban, we should be standing firm on this. The player is quite clearly in the top 3 of attackers in the world an if Real and Barcelona are both interested, then they should expect to have to pay top whack. Finally, if the player goes, then no swap deals please. Give us all the money upfront and we can talk about Sanchez at that point.

Sanchez is one of if not the best attacking player we could hope for this summer.

We have to make him part of the deal and make him coming to us a condition of any sale. That gives us a huge advantage over Arsenal and Juventus as Barca won't want to derail the Suarez deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

rarnes1 wrote: »

I watched every Liverpool game last season and I can't remember a player actually caring as much as he did.

Exactly right. Suarez was excellent last year. If he goes I can't think of a more important player we have lost in the past 20 years. He is as close to irreplaceable as it gets for us.

Yeah, he only cried at Palace because he forgot tape Coronation Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

When Suarez gets on the pitch all else is forgotten. Contracts, dental care, everything. He wants to win. Whether that is for Liverpool or for Barca or a 5 a side friendly, it doesn't matter.

He played that way because he wanted to and he could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He is not a spoofer. He was director of football at Monaco and knows his stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm sure he will :)

Don't say that it's been my hope since he left in 2011!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Sanchez is one of if not the best attacking player we could hope for this summer.

We have to make him part of the deal and make him coming to us a condition of any sale. That gives us a huge advantage over Arsenal and Juventus as Barca won't want to derail the Suarez deal.

It isn't up to Barcelona though. Sanchez gets the final say.

I suspect he'll end up at Juventus, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

rarnes1 wrote: »

Maybe so but why didn't he apologise directly to Liverpool FC who will take the brunt of the 4 month ban?

"I apologise to Gieogio Chiellini and the entire football family"

#1 because he has no notion of staying and #2 because he feels he owes Liverpool nothing.

Maybe so but why didn't he apologise directly to Liverpool FC who will take the brunt of the 4 month ban?

"I apologise to Gieogio Chiellini and the entire football family"

#1 because he has no notion of staying and #2 because he feels he owes Liverpool nothing.

Suarez....will do anything to engineer a move away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its strange Liverpool have kept so silent. That leads me to believe a deal will be done. Just before the world cup Suarez said that he wouldnt be moving so it seems the owners have lost patience with him. I dont believe Brendan would want to let him go so Im guessing he has been also advised to stay silent on the subject.

We should have been drooling at being back in the Champions League with one of the best forward lines in Europe and and an improved squad but instead we are playing a guessing game and I for one am sick of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its strange Liverpool have kept so silent. That leads me to believe a deal will be done. Just before the world cup Suarez said that he wouldnt be moving so it seems the owners have lost patience with him. I dont believe Brendan would want to let him go so Im guessing he has been also advised to stay silent on the subject.

We should have been drooling at being back in the Champions League with one of the best forward lines in Europe and and an improved squad but instead we are playing a guessing game and I for one am sick of the whole thing.

Of course one should always believe what a footballer says shouldn't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Why would you bother though?

From the outside it looks like hes getting terrible terrible advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BBC put it on their front page that we're opening talks with Barcelona - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28112887

It looks like he's going. If he was staying, I think the club would have made a statement by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If not sanchez who do we get in ? Is falcao of to madrid ? He be a sensational replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

BBC put it on their front page that we're opening talks with Barcelona - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28112887

It looks like he's going. If he was staying, I think the club would have made a statement by now.

I agree it looks like he's going at this stage. Hope there's a lot of hard ball played and we get what we want.

If it does happen, I really hope Sanchez is part of the deal, I reckon he'd get at least 20 goals for us next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Can't see Barca meeting any release clause if we're interested in getting Sanchez. I hope we wait until the appeal is concluded before deciding anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I refuse to believe that hes leaving until i see him leaning on something in Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper, Barcelona's Training ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grayditch wrote: »
    It would be great to get Real into the mix. It's obviously not a genius, oracle like call, but whoever got him/gets him would/will win La Liga.

And I still won't watch it.
    Yeah, bloody spurs playing in La Liga as well. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

IK09 wrote: »
    I refuse to believe that hes leaving until i see him leaning on something in Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper, Barcelona's Training ground.

I was there once, lovely spot, still gonna puke in my mouth when I see him in a Barca jersey though... :(

Such is life - he's a goner lads.... :(

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Yeah, bloody spurs playing in La Liga as well. ;)

Spurs isn't playing for Spurs anymore, though. He's gone back to his birth name, after Spurs merged teams with Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

We know this day would come. It would feel a lot worse if he had played that season AND been flawlessly behaved for the last 3 seasons.

But the idea of him missing about 30+ games through suspension in that time, and dragging our good name through the mud repeatedly, makes it a lot easier to bear.

And let's remember - there is always another star on the rise. Maybe it's Origi, or Sterling, or Can, or none of them.
    There is a finite number of world class players, but it's not static...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

bad2dabone wrote: »
    This might sound a bit mad but if I was LS I would be very careful about a decision to go to Barcelona. Barcelona is Messi’s fiefdom, we can all see how given a bit more freedom Sanchez and Neymar have displayed their talents to the fullest. They’re simply not given the freedom to play like that at Barcelona, mostly because it’s messi’s team. Ronaldo hasn’t got such a hold on Real Madrid – Bale was integrated into the team far more successfully that Neymar into Barca.

Real is Ronaldo's fiefdom.

You could see that by the extent that Bale prostrated himself when he went there.

I think Messi is more involved with Barca's play than Ronaldo because of their respective positions on the pitch but off the pitch it sounds like the same story.

Yep, I hope if he goes anywhere, it's to Barca, because I want to see the carnage between him and Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Star and The Mirror both saying we are now looking at Yarmolenko so if you can't get one Ukrainian winger go for the other one :pac:

£15m price tag.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement