Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

greendom wrote: »
    If they sell Sanchez to another club, that would take care of the funds issue, surely ?

I assume JW will want cash largely up front. Most deals for Sanchez would involve staged payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Ya know, the funny thing is, we might not even need to replace his 30 PL goals next season. If we improved our defence and team we might not concede as many as we did last year and in fact could win the league (or secure top 4) with just 71 goals scored, which I believe is 30 less than we scored last season. In theory you only need 38 goals to win 38 matches. This logic has made me feel alot better about him leaving anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

With Falcao likely off to RM, perhaps Benzema is an option, but I'm not huge fan of his. Really struggling to think of other alternatives if we don't get Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah, offer us a full back, a guy we had before who isn't the same player anymore and a fella who, on his day, couldn't trap a bag of cement. All this to replace prob the 3rd most creative player in the world.

Thing is they are so arrogant they'd prob offer us that thinking we'd bite the hand off them.....excuse the pun!
    I'd fear that the transfer committee would be silly enough to accept it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder is there any chance PSG would sell Marquinhos now they have David Luiz and Thiago Silva as a centre back pairing.

Still think we really need to get two fullbacks as well.

How much do you think the "bite" will cost Liverpool? I imagine his price tag must have dropped 20-30% as a result.

Bite? What bite?? :confused:

slingerz wrote: »
    TBH the premier league has lost a bit in recent years with an exodus of the best players to Spain.

Recent years have seen Alonso, Mascherano, Song, Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez all look likely to leave for Barca/Madrid and impact on the quality in the EPL.

i think we here would all prefer, regardless of club allegiance to see the best players in the world playing in the EPL. The tax system in Spain versus the tax system in the UK is limiting that potentially.

On an aside, should football take off in the states then you may see MLS sides becoming the next major force league and attract a lot better/younger players based on the salaries that would become available there.

They will need to change the whole structure of the MLS with the player ownerships etc before it will ever become a major force in world football I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Cash plus Varane from Madrid would suit me.

A centre back pairing of Sakho-Varane would be out of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

While everyone is desperate for Alexis Sanchez to be part of the Suarez deal, I'm not so sure about him to be honest. Having watched him at Barca I thought he looked only so so. I would certainly be a bigger fan of Pedro.

I do realise he is a good footballer and might do well at Liverpool but I wouldn't expect him to perform at anywhere near the level of Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mormank wrote: »
    Ya know, the funny thing is, we might not even need to replace his 30 PL goals next season. If we improved our defence and team we might not concede as many as we did last year and in fact could win the league (or secure top 4) with just 71 goals scored, which I believe is 30 less than we scored last season. In theory you only need 38 goals to win 38 matches. This logic has made me feel alot better about him leaving anyway. :D

If we buy Dzeko and he scores 20 for us that will be 40 less for City so we will win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Just a shame Sakho is 'clumsy on the ball'

Fescue wrote: »
    While everyone is desperate for Alexis Sanchez to be part of the Suarez deal, I'm not so sure about him to be honest. Having watched him at Barca I thought he looked only so so. I would certainly be a bigger fan of Pedro.

I do realise he is a good footballer and might do well at Liverpool but I wouldn't expect him to perform at anywhere near the level of Suarez.

Only Messi and Clint would perform at the same level. Sanchez is the best of the rest, I wasn't a fan of him at Barca but his performances for Chile have been immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

x43r0 wrote: »
    A centre back pairing of Sakho-Varane would be out of this world

While we are at it, let's ask for Ronaldo?

No way will they sell Varane, he's the future...

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Only Messi and Clint would perform at the same level. Sanchez is the best of the rest, I wasn't a fan of him at Barca but his performances for Chile have been immense.

He has been good at the World Cup but I think his performances at club level are a better measure of him overall. He hasn't been great for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Dickerty wrote: »
    While we are at it, let's ask for Ronaldo?

No way will they sell Varane, he's the future...

No way - Ronaldo is pushing 30!

:pac:

Looks like Madrid are out of the running now.

Seems like they are about to buy James Rodriguez for £40million if they can sell di Maria.

Seems like they are about to buy James Rodriguez for £40million if they can sell di Maria.

Di Maria would be ideal for Liverpool. Fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It's like Football Manager in here today :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Why would Monaco sell him for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Why would you be expecting him to perform at the same level if he's valued at way less? If he was as good it'd be a straight swap. There's no realistic targets that would perform at the same level. It's like Spurs of last summer. Buy a number of players. Just hopefully better ones than they did

Knex. wrote: »
    Why would Monaco sell him for that?

I know losing Falcao and Rodriguez to Madrid for less than they paid really doesn't make sense unless it was in their contracts that they could leave for Madrid or Barca!

But I really couldn't see a team agreeing to that type of contract ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

There's no way in hell Monaco sell James for 40m... They'd be looking for bale money to even think about it.

8-10 wrote: »
    Why would you be expecting him to perform at the same level if he's valued at way less? If he was as good it'd be a straight swap. There's no realistic targets that would perform at the same level. It's like Spurs of last summer. Buy a number of players. Just hopefully better ones than they did

Well I didn't say I expected him to perform at the same level as Suarez to be fair. I guess my point is that I don't expect a huge amount from Sanchez if he does sign.

Someone like Di Maria could offer so much more in my opinion. If he is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's not as good as Suarez but he is a very good player and could score 20 goals a season in England or close to it. Don't think one player will replace what Suarez brings. His goals and assists will have to be shared amongst whatever players we bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He's not as good as Suarez but he is a very good player and could score 20 goals a season in England or close to it. Don't think one player will replace what Suarez brings. His goals and assists will have to be shared amongst whatever players we bring in.

Yeah this is my point. I just hope the deal gets done quickly (because I believe it will happen), so that there's enough time to spend

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If we buy Dzeko and he scores 20 for us that will be 40 less for City so we will win the league.

Now you're thinking outside the box, I like it! So by the same logic we should also try to sign...oh balls, I'm trying to think of another PL striler that got 20 goals last season that we don't already own but I can't think of one of the top of my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What happened to Mike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

monkey9 wrote: »
    What happened to Mike?

He got himself caught in up some serious whataboutery.

I'm sure he's been mentioned before but Bony is a player who could contribute hugely to Liverpool.

25 goals in 48 appearances for Swansea last season. Thats a serious return considering how poor they were.

Fabrizio RomanoVerified account
    @FabrizioRomano
    Shaqiri talks are ongoing between Liverpool and Bayern Munchen. #LFC wants Xherdan and had meeting with his brother. But now needs agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mormank wrote: »

You sir have funny logic.
    I don't like it but I wish you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/GoalsPerCompetition/1224-12

Hopefully the link posted right. Showing suarez goals for Liverpool in premier league. In 2013/14 his goals turned 7 games from draws to wins, and two to draws. So 23 points was his worth.

Now a lot of his goals were against teams where we scored high anyway so the argument could be made that any good striker would have gotten at least some of them. So with attacking football, sturridge and an adequate replacement, I think we will still be challenging for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I'm sure he's been mentioned before but Bony is a player who could contribute hugely to Liverpool.

25 goals in 48 appearances for Swansea last season. Thats a serious return considering how poor they were.

Please God, no.

Ah, now. Whatever Bony is, he's definitely not a "Please God, no" player.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Who is that guy?

Fabrizio with a blue tick.

Works for Sky Italia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If we ended up breaking even with Sanchez, Lallana and Shaqiri all coming in for the Suarez money, I'd be delighted.

While I don't want to see Suarez go, its pretty much inevitable. To bring in three players of that quality is probably as well as we could ever hope to do

looder wrote: »
    Please God, no.

25 goals in a relegation struggling team. If my calculations are correct, Bony would have scored 279 goals last season for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

IK09 wrote: »
    Whats worse, I swore to myself that I wouldnt get that attached to a player again. I swore that I wouldnt let them hurt me. Then Luis came along and I couldnt help it.

That's proper RAWK in meltdown material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hope this Suarez stuff gets done quickly so that we can be put out of our misery and club can get to work on replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

25 goals in a relegation struggling team. If my calculations are correct, Bony would have scored 279 goals last season for Liverpool.

Scored a lot of his goals from crosses. I think Liverpool put in the least amount of crosses in the Premier League last season. Not sure he really fits what Rodgers does.

Fabrizio with a blue tick.

Works for Sky Italia

I think he meant Shakiri.....get in the game Coulson.

Scored a lot of his goals from crosses. I think Liverpool put in the least amount of crosses in the Premier League last season. Not sure he really fits what Rodgers does.

If you had a powerhouse like Bony in the box you might be inclined to do it a little more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

All this talk of replacing Suarez with 3 or so players. Lads, do ye not remember Spurs last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Luis is or was a fantastic player for liverpool, one of the best ive seen but for some reason from day one i never took to him

Not even when he dived in front of Moyes? ;)

All this talk of replacing Suarez with 3 or so players. Lads, do ye not remember Spurs last year?

Well Suarez is going to leave unfortunately. The fee received should be reinvested in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bought the wrong players.

Suarez is a unique talent and he is not going to be replaced with a similar player.

A rethink of how the team plays is required and I think a few quality players are needed to fill the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The problems with Spurs is, they went for too many new players and too many potential type players.
    I don't think Shaqiri, Sanchez and Lalalanalanlalla are from the same mould as Spurs signings. Lallana has stepped up his performances for the last two years and might be a risk but I think the other two can be seen as bankers, or as close as you can get in football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

a huge bulk of the money for Suarez should be spent on the defence imo.

take away Suarez's goals and shore up the defence and we could do ok.

Suarez as an individual is irreplaceable though, best I've seen in a Liverpool shirt, by a distance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement