Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

GavRedKing wrote: »
    2m and youve a deal. :)

If thats 2m penny sweets then we may be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We are gonna regret selling him next May imo.

Probably, but he'd be going then anyway. Looks like we are spending plenty going by our signings and targets. Not getting Sanchez would worry me as I don't know if we could sign somebody like him otherwise. SSS, Coutinho and Lallana isn't half bad, those stats about Coutinho posted show we've one hell of a player on our hands at 21, with time to add goals to his end product.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's not the goals we will miss.

I have never seen a player with his will to win and work rate combined that is something money cannot buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Of course we will regret selling the 3rd best player in the world. Nothing new there. What surprises me at this stage is how much control over this whole situation Liverpool actualy have. This is not like in a computer game where whatever you says goes. We obviously have told him previously we would sell him, or there is a clause, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We will be without him for 9 league games minimum (that's assuming no injuries (and he is just back from knee cartilage surgery) or no more suspensions) and half of our CL group games.

There are a whole load of reasons why we should sell.
    - his suspension
    - his desire to leave
    - the risk of further and more severe bans.
    - the money we will get for him

Nobody wants him gone, but we have to be realistic. He has let Liverpool down badly yet again, and he is now, more than ever, something of a liability.

We could dig our heels in and keep him for 12 more months. But that's only 29 more PL games max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I think I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight!

Without Suarez we are fúcked, plain and simple! And I honestly don't trust the club to spend the money wisely.

The Resurrection is over, I have a major sad :(

You know we will draw Barca in the CL now!

murpho999 wrote: »
    He wants to leave for the second summer in a row. That's enough for me.

He's banned for the second start of the season in row too.

So what.

He did alright after wanting out last season didn't he. Fair chance you won't see another striker score that many league goals for a long time in a season.

I'd imagine almost all our players would be out the door if Madrid or Barca knocked. Let's be realistic.

Most have zero connection with the club, its just a job and pays the wages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The King is dead. Long live the King!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

At least you're selling him out of the country, better than selling him to someone like united and watching him win the title for them like rvp did.

Because that sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Tell barca to F off.
    He should not be sold as no one can replace him, no one. What's the point in selling him for 80M and reinvesting in the squad when judging from signings in the past about 60m will be wasted.
    Keep him and push even further for that premier league title.
    Keep him until the end of his contract and let him go for free then.
    At least we got his best years and think about it we would have made his transfer fee back 10 times over if he get another 4 years with him. Pssh 80m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think he was promised a move anyway, I just do NOT get why he bit someone at the World Cup. I always felt the last 2 bites were done for a move. That's what makes me worry about the chap mentally. People are going to try wind him up for the longest time, now to get a rise, because he's a little cracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Suarez goes for anything under £80m it'll be a bargain for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's not the goals we will me.

I have never seen a player with his will to win and work rate combined that is something money cannot buy.

Was also contagious to the rest of the team. Sturridge is great but unless he's feeling 100% he can slack off.

We will be without him for 9 league games minimum (that's assuming no injuries (and he is just back from knee cartilage surgery) or no more suspensions) and half of our CL group games.

There are a whole load of reasons why we should sell.
    - his suspension
    - his desire to leave
    - the risk of further and more severe bans.
    - the money we will get for him

Nobody wants him gone, but we have to be realistic. He has let Liverpool down badly yet again, and he is now, more than ever, something of a liability.

We could dig our heels in and keep him for 12 more months. But that's only 29 more PL games max.

He dragged us into the CL on his own, his goals, his assists, inspiring those around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd love to see a big chunk of the Suarez money go on a world class defender to partner Sakho

As good as our attack was last year, I love having a solid centre back pairing. Something we haven't had in a long while

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think he was promised a move anyway, I just do NOT get why he bit someone at the World Cup. I always felt the last 2 bites were done for a move. That's what makes me worry about the chap mentally. People are going to try wind him up for the longest time, now to get a rise, because he's a little cracked.

No way would he do that to Uruguay. Who he cares about a hell of a lot more than Liverpool. I think he just does the mad stuff completely on instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The Telegraph quote an Arsenal initial bid for Sanchez at £22m while in the Independent its £32m.

If Liverpool do manage to get him I'd guess Sanchez + £40m.

kfallon wrote: »
    He dragged us into the CL on his own, his goals, his assists, inspiring those around him.

Hate ****e like this I really do.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    At least you're selling him out of the country, better than selling him to someone like united and watching him win the title for them like rvp did.

Because that sucked.

RVP doing his very best in the World Cup, cause it'll be a while before he plays anywhere further than Wales.

I'm sorry,

...that was petty.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

GavRedKing wrote: »
    2m and youve a deal. :)

Wait... Who gets the 2m?

No way would he do that to Uruguay. Who he cares about a hell of a lot more than Liverpool. I think he just does the mad stuff completely on instinct.

Yeah, I genuinely was blown away by this bite. That made me rethink a lot of things, and worry a hell of a lot more.

Knex. wrote: »
    Wait... Who gets the 2m?

Moses forehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On a lighter note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Despite us blocking his move last summer to Arsenal, I think he played well last season because he was given concrete assurances that he would be allowed to leave if Barca or Real came calling.

If we deny the move this summer I don't think we'll see the level effort and performance we've seen last season. Didn't he go on strike or try to sue Gronigen when they wouldn't allow him move?

I will say that Liverpool have often sold their best player at or near his peak.

Keegan, Souness, Rush, McManaman, Owen, Alonso, Torres.

All were replaced and Liverpool won trophies shortly after nearly all of them left.

The show goes on.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Hate ****e like this I really do.

Hate it all you want but you'll see next season!

And I pray you're shoving this down my throat next May but I'm pretty sure you won't be!

Despite us blocking his move last summer to Arsenal, I think he played well last season because he was given concrete assurances that he would be allowed to leave if Barca or Real came calling.

If we deny the move this summer I don't think we'll see the level effort and performance we've seen last season.

I think he is all but gone.

That new contract must have had the widely reported concrete "buy out" clause.

My guess is Barca are trying to knock down the buy out fee and get him for cheaper but this deal may be wrapped up soon.

I would hope we get our business done before the deal gets announced. Negotiating when everyone knows you have a lot to spend gets tricky.

Hate it all you want but you'll see next season!

And I pray you're shoving this down my throat next May but I'm pretty sure you won't be!

Bookmarked :P

Seriously, the lack of appreciation you've given to BR and the rest of the squad for last season is disgusting though. No doubt your not alone in your view but every one of our regulars last season were immense. CL was not all down to Suarez but he did play a big part.

Think of the positives. We probably ****ed him out of a £40m deal to Arsenal, where he'd still be, with us lingering in 7th or 8th with no CL football.

Now we have CL and hopefully 80M. Let's not be greedy, he's been wanting to leave. I wish him the best and I hope he bites Gareth Bale's left nipple off, for the craic.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Think of the positives. We probably ****ed him out of a £40m deal to Arsenal, where he'd still be, with us lingering in 7th or 8th with no CL football.

Now we have CL and hopefully 80M. Let's not be greedy, he's been wanting to leave. I wish him the best and I hope he bites Gareth Bale's left nipple off, for the craic.

He should bite that stupid hairband off his head, that'd be worth the transfer fee alone.

BrPvRd1CcAA41V3.jpg:medium

• Advertisement

The absolute state of that chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So what.

He did alright after wanting out last season didn't he. Fair chance you won't see another striker score that many league goals for a long time in a season.

I'd imagine almost all our players would be out the door if Madrid or Barca knocked. Let's be realistic.

Most have zero connection with the club, its just a job and pays the wages.

Seriously, do you not think he has treated the club badly after how they stood by him?
    Not a mention of Liverpool in an apology that we know was done to placate Barcelona.

He has been a brilliant player for Liverpool and I will be sorry to see him go. But we need committed players in the squad.

Also, he is unstable and you just don't know what controversy he will bring and that is damaging to the club's reputation.

All very well saying he's a c*nt but he's our c*nt and all that or being hated for winning games but he has been attracting hatred for the wrong reasons and that is damaging to the club and its brand despite what people say here.

I think the powers that be have come to the same conclusion and seem keen to do a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It doesn't feel near as bad as Torres, Alonso, Masch, or even Owen.

Would be reasonably happy with Sanchez + £45m or £75m straight up. Definitely don't believe this is the disaster some are making out. He doesn't have to be replaced like for like, I have faith in Rodgers to bring in a top quality attacker and adjust the system accordingly. We are not Spurs.

The ban has certainly made me open up to his departure. Thought he had got his impulsive madness reasonably in check but I don't trust him not to do it again now. Happy to take the money and move on at this stage as much as I love him.

And think of the wages saved!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's about 95% likely to happen at this stage imo. I'll be very sad to see him go, although I won't miss the ever present controversy. We might not see a player that individually impressive play for us again for a very long time, but hopefully I'm wrong and we have a new superstar hero soon again (who will then inevitably leave as well).

I'm not sure why given his goalscoring record for us, but I still don't fully trust Sturridge to lead the line for us as the star striker. I know that a lot will disagree with me, but I still have niggling doubts about him long term, which I know is crazy given the evidence of the last 18 months. He is also fairly injury susceptible as well. I know the club is looking at several attacking options, so hopefully we'll be flexible and have strength in depth, but I'm nervous about life after Suarez (not that we'd have him anyway for a while even if he stayed).

Either way I'll be behind the team and manager fully and hopefully at the opening game roaring the redmen on as well if I can get a ticket before the game is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

On a lighter note.

Yeah but see how awkward he looks doing it? Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gareth Bale; That's what happens when you move away from the lads, and you have nobody around you who will straight up laugh in your face.

The fucking cut of him.

Bookmarked :P

Seriously, the lack of appreciation you've given to BR and the rest of the squad for last season is disgusting though. No doubt your not alone in your view but every one of our regulars last season were immense. CL was not all down to Suarez but he did play a big part.

He is our talisman, taking Suarez out of the Liverpool team is like taking Messi out of Barca or Ronaldo out of Real.

And we saw what happened to Barca when Messi went AWOL last season.

His inspiration to his fellow team mates is going to be sorely missed. I think people will underestimate how costly that will be.

He is our talisman, taking Suarez out of the Liverpool team is like taking Messi out of Barca or Ronaldo out of Real.

And we saw what happened to Barca when Messi went AWOL last season.

His inspiration to his fellow team mates is going to be sorely missed. I think people will underestimate how costly that will be.

I agree. I just dont agree that he deserves all the credit for "dragging" us to the CL as you stated earlier.

murpho999 wrote: »
    All very well saying he's a c*nt but he's our c*nt and all that or being hated for winning games but he has been attracting hatred for the wrong reasons and that is damaging to the club and its brand despite what people say here.

Sure most people hate Liverpool anyway and our fans! I don't buy into this damaging the brand thing at all tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Knex. wrote: »
    Wait... Who gets the 2m?

Ye can if he never ends up back at SW6. :cool:

• Advertisement

I agree. I just dont agree that he deserves all the credit for "dragging" us to the CL as you stated earlier.

That's fair enough, respect your opinion but I'm not sure we would have got CL without him especially as we missed Sturridge for parts of the season with injury.

Sure most people hate Liverpool anyway and our fans! I don't buy into this damaging the brand thing at all tbh!

Doesn't seem to bother Barcelona anyway. The club in the world who probably put the most effort into projecting a certain image of themselves.

Liverpool would still be hated by many in England if they signed 11 choir boys.

Doesn't seem to bother Barcelona anyway. The club in the world who probably put the most effort into projecting a certain image of themselves.

Tbh Real are every bit as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not sure why given his goalscoring record for us, but I still don't fully trust Sturridge to lead the line for us as the star striker. I know that a lot will disagree with me, but I still have niggling doubts about him long term, which I know is crazy given the evidence of the last 18 months. He is also fairly injury susceptible as well. I know the club is looking at several attacking options, so hopefully we'll be flexible and have strength in depth, but I'm nervous about life after Suarez (not that we'd have him anyway for a while even if he stayed).

I feel exactly the same, it's totally unfair to Sturridge considering he couldn't have started his LFC career any better, but I don't trust him to be our number 1 striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Many people hate Liverpool for the success that they had. Club rivalry and all that.

However, Suarez's diving, perceived un-sportsmanship behaviour , racism scandal and 2 biting incidents have attracted he wrong attention and has brought a more widespread unpopularity with it.

People not thinking it damages the brand are thinking as sports fans and not how business people would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I never rated Suarez anyway. Always felt he was blocking Aspas's progression at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Suarez-aspas = Messi-Sanchez. Just two big bullies stopping these super talented other guys.

Joking aside I don't get why people think Suarez owes is anything. He repaid the club for standing behind him by being a bit good at football last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

monkey9 wrote: »
    I never rated Suarez anyway. Always felt he was blocking Aspas's progression at the club.

Not just him either. Finally, Partridge, Dalla Valle, Pacheco, Teixeira will get a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Not just him either. Finally, Partridge, Dalla Valle, Pacheco, Teixeira will get a chance!

What about Neil mellor, he's been banging in the goals for the youth team. I hear he's dying to get a crack against arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I just dont understand any Liverpool supporter wanting Suarez gone or even satisfied with us selling him.

Big chunks of money are grand, but the fact is - short term at least, we won't sign another player on his level. The team will be worse off without him and we are losing a truly world class talent.

Suarez is a genius on the field and can make things happen out of nothing. If we get 60 million or 90 million, we are weaker without him next season. Ban or no ban.

Adding to that, our signings the last few years (suarez aside) have been pretty damn awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement