Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We are gonna regret selling him next May imo.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    If Suarez goes for anything under £80m it'll be a bargain for Barca.

As a Barcelona fan, anything like £50m + Sanchez is an absolute bargain that should be snapped up at the first opportunity. Alexis has had a good World Cup and his price as a makeweight is now at its highest, I'd say. Don't think it's a great deal for Liverpool.

Not sure how he'll do at Liverpool, but I'm not sure about any Liverpool signings until it's clear that it's a Rodgers signing instead of that transfer committee who Rodgers doesn't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The Telegraph quote an Arsenal initial bid for Sanchez at £22m while in the Independent its £32m.

If Liverpool do manage to get him I'd guess Sanchez + £40m.

you are bad at sums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

joe123 wrote: »
    I just dont understand any Liverpool supporter wanting Suarez gone or even satisfied with us selling him.

Big chunks of money are grand, but the fact is - short term at least, we won't sign another player on his level. The team will be worse off without him and we are losing a truly world class talent.

Suarez is a genius on the field and can make things happen out of nothing. If we get 60 million or 90 million, we are weaker without him next season. Ban or no ban.

Adding to that, our signings the last few years (suarez aside) have been pretty damn awful.

Not many do but there is a reality to the situation. He's gone this summer or next. Sanchez + 40/50Million is the best we can hope for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

An agreement with Barca should have conditions. Such as, for example, John W Henry being able to tweet 'sh1te' of a semi insulting nature. That way at least nobody really knows if you are about to come into a wedge of $. Its not as if there is any great hurry with Suarez suspension there, which, ironically, i think will be reduced now.

What are they smoking over there at the Nou Camp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This might give people a laugh.

2k9jUqx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

last ever moments of suarez on a football pitch for liverpool </3

155582.jpg

Did he not play against Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Grayditch wrote: »
    Did he not play against Newcastle?

Yes he played against Newcastle alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

His real last ever moments on the pitch for Liverpool:

489554683-luis-suarez-of-liverpool-with-his-children-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXt5HFlOxPc%2bx2T6W%2b2pNst%2b72fiF2ATRDhET4xeObaZtjs3K%2fEvawRpyDVh73ButGg%3d%3d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

thats right! crap!..well its a sight that ill remembr for a long time. what a great player hes been for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

joe123 wrote: »
    I just dont understand any Liverpool supporter wanting Suarez gone or even satisfied with us selling him.

Big chunks of money are grand, but the fact is - short term at least, we won't sign another player on his level. The team will be worse off without him and we are losing a truly world class talent.

Suarez is a genius on the field and can make things happen out of nothing. If we get 60 million or 90 million, we are weaker without him next season. Ban or no ban.

Adding to that, our signings the last few years (suarez aside) have been pretty damn awful.

Not sure if you're referring to me but I certainly don't want him gone as he is thrilling on the pitch and I would prefer to have the team built around him.

However he clearly wants to go and I think he has treated the club very badly.

In that case it's best if it happens quickly so club can take right measures.

Don't see how you can interpret that or other posts as people happy that he is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

2 quick points;

1) I'd rather we didn't sell under any circumstances. I'm happy for us to take the risk on future bans.

2) If he goes to Barca - I just can't see him and Messi playing well together. I think he'd end up being infuriated by Messi's "I don't run unless its to attack" policy, and I think they'd end up getting into each others way a lot. Tbh they're the exact two players I wouldn't pair together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    2 quick points;

1) I'd rather we didn't sell under any circumstances. I'm happy for us to take the risk on future bans.

2) If he goes to Barca - I just can't see him and Messi playing well together. I think he'd end up being infuriated by Messi's "I don't run unless its to attack" policy, and I think they'd end up getting into each others way a lot. Tbh they're the exact two players I wouldn't pair together.

Kind of like what's happening with Neymar and Messi atm. Adding Suarez to it will just cause chaos. And as was said earlier, the development of Sanchez was halted because of that.

+ we'd all love to see the Suarez, Sturridge, Sanchez attacking line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

dfx- wrote: »
    As a Barcelona fan, anything like £50m + Sanchez is an absolute bargain that should be snapped up at the first opportunity. Alexis has had a good World Cup and his price as a makeweight is now at its highest, I'd say. Don't think it's a great deal for Liverpool.

Not sure how he'll do at Liverpool, but I'm not sure about any Liverpool signings until it's clear that it's a Rodgers signing instead of that transfer committee who Rodgers doesn't play.

Alleged swap deals get too much attention. They are bandied about in gossip columns all the time but almost never happen. So forget about Sanchez as a makeweight. Liverpool selling Suarez could very well leave them in a similar position to Tottenham post Bale, a loss not worth the money received.

His real last ever moments on the pitch for Liverpool:

489554683-luis-suarez-of-liverpool-with-his-children-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXt5HFlOxPc%2bx2T6W%2b2pNst%2b72fiF2ATRDhET4xeObaZtjs3K%2fEvawRpyDVh73ButGg%3d%3d

There are unconfirmed allegations that he blew raspberry on that child's tummy when he thought the cameras weren't looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BBC have it on their front page that talks between us and Barcelona are progressing. While suspecting he'd go, never thought the day would come. Have to say I would be crushed if we were to lose him.

If we draw Barcelona in the group stages , I will be ripping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Snap back to reality
    (Oh - there goes gravity)

He's always had one eye on Spain.
    His wife's family are Catalans.
    Barca are one of only 2/3 clubs tyhat can be considered a step up from us (Barca, Real, Bayern), taking aside pure money (City, Chelsea, PSG).

So now matter how we love him or hate him, the FACT is that he wants to go, so whether he is trouble or not, it's very difficult to stand in his way. Particularly if they meet a fee stated in his contract.

All the steam-blowing cannot change that...

Well if his ban stands, he could well be suspended for both legs!

It's true, FIFA have suspended both of his legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dickerty wrote: »
    Snap back to reality
    (Oh - there goes gravity)

He's always had one eye on Spain.
    His wife's family are Catalans.
    Barca are one of only 2/3 clubs tyhat can be considered a step up from us (Barca, Real, Barca), taking aside pure money (City, Chelsea, PSG).

So now matter how we love him or hate him, the FACT is that he wants to go, so whether he is trouble or not, it's very difficult to stand in his way. Particularly if they meet a fee stated in his contract.

All the steam-blowing cannot change that...

You can probbaly included Milan, Utd, Arsenal, Munich in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

I just don't understand all the comments here basically knocking the club for selling Suarez. The way I see it is as follows:

- Suarez wanted to leave last summer
    - The Club played a blinder to keep him here and in return Suarez got a water tight release clause entered in his new contract
    - If reports are to be believed, the release clause was approx. 70 - 80 million for foreign clubs and 100 million for domestic rivals
    - A foreign club, Barcelona, will apparently meet his release clause despite his further biting incident

Can't see how anyone can blame the club / owners / manager here. As long as the release clause is met there's nothing they can do really. Whilst I hate to see him go, it's made slightly easier to take knowing he was going to miss a quarter of the season anyway and possibly more with injuries etc. The only way I will hold the club responsible is if they leave him go on the cheap - which I don't see happening.

BBC have it on their front page that talks between us and Barcelona are progressing. While suspecting he'd go, never thought the day would come. Have to say I would be crushed if we were to lose him.

After the Torres transfer I learnt that footballers are different animals to us fans so I don't get emotionally attached to them anymore.

Suarez doesn't give a **** about us or LFC as he was prepared to go Madrid, Barca and even bloody Arsenal in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

murpho999 wrote: »
    After the Torres transfer I learnt that footballers are different animals to us fans so I don't get emotionally attached to them anymore.

Suarez doesn't give a **** about us or LFC as he was prepared to go Madrid, Barca and even bloody Arsenal in the last year.

I was exactly the same, after Torres I said I'd never let it happen again....but that buck toothed, weird eared, biting, diving, racist just got under my skin and into my heart! That smile every time he scored! The finger pistol wagging celebration!

I can't be angry with him even if he leaves, just grateful we had him for 3.5 seasons of pure bliss. Best Liverpool player I've ever seen.....and I've seen quite a few!

I'm gonna be so sad when it's all confirmed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

This is the one good thing about buying English, you don't have to worry about how settled/unsettled someone's other half is. :rolleyes: Truth be told though the spouses are probably just used as a handy excuse most of the time.

noodler wrote: »
    You can probbaly included Milan, Utd, Arsenal, Munich in that!

Sorry, I meant Bayern not Barca twice!

Arsenal are not a bigger draw than us, not are United IMO, not this year at least.
    And Milan are shot completely, don't have either the money or the prospects...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

murpho999 wrote: »

Nail on the head ! Its the way of the modern game . If ever there was a player that deserved to show a group of fans and a club some loyality it should have been Suarez, but looks like that's going to be a one way street , just like every other modern day player . .

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's true, FIFA have suspended both of his legs.

You never fail!

It's his other end that they need to worry about.
    I have visions of him legless, biting his way across a pitch to attack someone, like an extra in The (non)Walking Dead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Can anyone begrudge him a move to Barca for a huge fee?

I personally cant. I'll be upset he's gone only because he won us games to be honest. I wont miss him as a person or anything. The whole pushing for a move to Arsenal snapped me back to reality. He is a professional footballer who wants and deserves to play for who ever he thinks are the best for him. It might suit him not to be the main man at a club. Or he may regret it. We seem to get the best out of our "star" strikers. Thats beside the point anyway.

Torres to Chelsea seemed far far worse at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This might give people a laugh.

2k9jUqx.png

Iago, now there's a Machiavellian countenance!
    Excellent foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I personally cant. I'll be upset he's gone only because he won us games to be honest. I wont miss him as a person or anything. The whole pushing for a move to Arsenal snapped me back to reality. He is a professional footballer who wants and deserves to play for who ever he thinks are the best for him. It might suit him not to be the main man at a club. Or he may regret it. We seem to get the best out of our "star" strikers. Thats beside the point anyway.

It was... Suarez going to Barca is a dream move for him, we get a chunk of change (and hopefully Sanchez) and he gets to play at one of the few clubs bigger than us

Torres moving was to a rival and felt like a betrayal at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Some lads on here would want to get a grip- getting 'emotionally attached to players' - and getting upset when they leave... how old are you guys?

deeks wrote: »
    I just don't understand all the comments here basically knocking the club for selling Suarez. The way I see it is as follows:

- Suarez wanted to leave last summer
    - The Club played a blinder to keep him here and in return Suarez got a water tight release clause entered in his new contract
    - If reports are to be believed, the release clause was approx. 70 - 80 million for foreign clubs and 100 million for domestic rivals
    - A foreign club, Barcelona, will apparently meet his release clause despite his further biting incident

Can't see how anyone can blame the club / owners / manager here. As long as the release clause is met there's nothing they can do really. Whilst I hate to see him go, it's made slightly easier to take knowing he was going to miss a quarter of the season anyway and possibly more with injuries etc. The only way I will hold the club responsible is if they leave him go on the cheap - which I don't see happening.
    I agree, I don't think anyone can blame the club here.

If you look at how this has played out, then the timeline of events from last Summer now makes perfect sense.

1. Suarez agitates for a move, making public his interest.
    2. Arsenal submit bids, eventually meeting a release clause.
    3. We tell Suarez he is going nowhere, especially at only £40M to a rival like Arsenal.
    4. Suarez's favourite destinations (Real, Barca) barely show any interest.
    5. Suarez's only option is to sign a new contract but is promised if Barca/Real come calling next year and meet a release clause, he will be allowed to go.

I think the key in all this was that Suarez himself probably wasn't that pushed on a move to Arsenal. More likely that Barca/Real were his targets, and that if he played his way into their thought (which he has clearly done) - then we could not stop him from leaving.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant Bayern not Barca twice!

Arsenal are not a bigger draw than us, not are United IMO, not this year at least.
    And Milan are shot completely, don't have either the money or the prospects...

Jesus, lets not get to carreid away after one season!

Obv I recognise UTD and Milan have no CL this season but they are still a massive draw. Easily comparable to us imo.

Arsenal, imo, are easily a bigger draw.

Bigger staudium, more than a decade or so of CL football, one of the most proven managers in the world, not about to lose Suarez. etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, lets not get to carreid away after one season!

Obv I recognise UTD and Milan have no CL this season but they are still a massive draw. Easily comparable to us imo.

Arsenal, imo, are easily a bigger draw.

Bigger staudium, more than a decade or so of CL football, one of the most proven managers in the world, not about to lose Suarez. etc etc.

Location is the biggest thing going for Arsenal

• Advertisement

I personally cant. I'll be upset he's gone only because he won us games to be honest. I wont miss him as a person or anything. The pushing for a move to Arsenal snapped me back to reality. He is a professional footballer who wants and deserves to play for who ever he thinks are the best for him. It might suit him not to be the main man at a club. Or he may regret it. We seem to get the best out of our "star" strikers. Thats beside the point anyway.

I can. He whinges about wanting to leave and believes that he should be allowed based on some random number in his contract. However he wilfully chooses to ignore the "don't act the bollix" clause in same contract. Biting people is not cool and he deserves to rot in the Liverpool first 11 for at least another year to atoll for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Vanolder wrote: »
    Some lads on here would want to get a grip- getting 'emotionally attached to players' - and getting upset when they leave... how old are you gus?

Who's Gus?

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Who's Gus?

Who knows, but whoever he is, he'd better get a grip!

dfx- wrote: »
    As a Barcelona fan, anything like £50m + Sanchez is an absolute bargain that should be snapped up at the first opportunity.
    You would say that!

I think it's Barcelona that are getting the bargain. Suarez will win the Champions League with Barcelona, the question is only how many times. Having a player who can do that is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ah crap!

• Advertisement

Ah crap!
    Do we need to chip in for a name change?

JoãoCarlosTeixeiraistheman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah crap!

GlenJohnsonistheman?

We'll fund it.

Some lads on here would want to get a grip- getting 'emotionally attached to players' - and getting upset when they leave... how old are you gus?

But it's ok to get emotionally attached to a club???

Why all the bitterness towards our players?
    Surely Eden Hazard is the man or Aguero is the man sounds better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kfallon wrote: »
    But it's ok to get emotionally attached to a club???

As long as you're not Gus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Turtyturd wrote: »
    GlenJohnsonistheman?

We'll fund it.

With his record van gall would be a great name

Ah here now, one of the best strikers we've ever seen at the club is about to leave and you feel no emotion whatsoever? When we smashed United up last season, or when Gerrard made that slip - did you feel nothing?

Why support a football club at all then? Maybe just to play silly buggers with stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Do we need to chip in for a name change?

JoãoCarlosTeixeiraistheman?
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    GlenJohnsonistheman?

We'll fund it.

All suggestions welcome! May go with a former legend as name change is a bit tedius now. I have lost faith in current 'false gods' Stigbjornebyeistheman or something similar!

It was... Suarez going to Barca is a dream move for him, we get a chunk of change (and hopefully Sanchez) and he gets to play at one of the few clubs bigger than us

Torres moving was to a rival and felt like a betrayal at the time.

Unless Real Madrid had come in?

All suggestions welcome! May go with a former legend as name change is a bit tedius now. I have lost faith in current 'false gods' Stigbjornebyeistheman or something similar!

Hammanistheman!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement