Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lauridallavalleistheman?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

All suggestions welcome! May go with a former legend as name change is a bit tedius now. I have lost faith in current 'false gods' Stigbjornebyeistheman or something similar!

Igorbiscanistheman ???

Hold on - Canistheman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All suggestions welcome! May go with a former legend as name change is a bit tedius now. I have lost faith in current 'false gods' Stigbjornebyeistheman or something similar!

VictoryMosesistheman?

CissikhoSakhoistheman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Djimitraoreistheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah crap!

Sanchezistheman?

#Hopefull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We could be waiting an awful long time to have one of the top three players in the world in the team again.

I don't fault the logic of the club or the player on this:

- he's a problem child and arguable commercial liability (though I think the best thing for Liverpool's commercials is anything that wins them matches consistently) and the fee represents a profit on his time here;
    - Barcelona is one of the biggest clubs in the world and he'll reckon he has a chance to win the CL while playing for them with Messi;

But from a competitive perspective we've gone from it all being possible to slugging it out for fourth place. People won't like it but it's the reality. You can't replace that kind of production no matter how many £20 - £30m players you throw at the problem. But more importantly, you don't replace that type of tactical threat / outlet. Him just being on the pitch meant we always had a chance at creating something out of nothing. Just get him the ball to feet, watch **** happen.

Nonetheless, a wonderful three and a half years capped off by the most exciting Liverpool season in a half decade (and arguably more). He doesn't owe us much imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully we can get Origi for this season coming & not loan him. If we got Sanchez which looks unlikely. I like to see us make a big offer to try & get Barkley from Everton.

Another question if he goes, how will it impact on Sturridge? Excuse the pun, but they both fed off each other brilliantly last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pandaistheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can get Origi for this season coming & not loan him. If we got Sanchez which looks unlikely. I like to see us make a big offer to try & get Barkley from Everton.

And Seamus Coleman while we're at it :)

Another question if he goes, how will it impact on Sturridge? Excuse the pun, but they both fed off each other brilliantly last season.

All depends on who is brought in. Going into next season with Sturridge as the main man up front will see a very frustrating season IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yes, but Sterling and Coutinho also fed Sturridge a great deal. And we have Lallana now as well, who has proven his ability to find a teammate, laid on a lot of goals for Rodriguez and Lambert over the last 2 seasons, but of whom like it to feet in the way Danny does...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

tok9 wrote: »
    Pandaistheman

Whatever about Suarez we can't afford to lose Panda!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

One argument is that rather that trying to replace Suarez with 2 or 3 attacking players would be to purchase some defenders so we wouldn't have to worry about needing strikers to bail us out like we saw last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, lets not get to carreid away after one season!

Obv I recognise UTD and Milan have no CL this season but they are still a massive draw. Easily comparable to us imo.

Arsenal, imo, are easily a bigger draw.

Bigger staudium, more than a decade or so of CL football, one of the most proven managers in the world, not about to lose Suarez. etc etc.

So one of the reason why these clubs are a bigger draw than Liverpool for Suarez is that they are not about to lose Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    So one of the reason why these clubs are a bigger draw than Liverpool for Suarez is that they are not about to lose Suarez.

Not about to lose thier top goalscorer and assister and the largest single component of what made them great last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

If Luis goes so be it, he's a great footballer but not irreplaceable. Athletics fans would have thought the same when we bought Torres, Juve fans when RM bought Zidane. In each case they either found an arguably better player or bought several players who possibly made them stronger as a unit. Liverpool if they're clever can do the same.

Much as we rave about Suarez remember we bought him for (only) 22 odd million. He wasn't exactly an established superstar that we broke the bank for. And there's another lad just like him plying his trade right now with an Ajax or a Groningen, the trick is to find him again.

noodler wrote: »
    Not about to lose thier top goalscorer and assister and the largest single component of what made them great last season.

They lose their best player on a near yearly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Really surprised and a bit disappointed that he's leaving the PL. You'd think people would have learned from Bale/Spurs and RVP/United - if you have world class talent up front you can make up for defects all across the pitch. And when you lose than talent it's nigh on impossible to replace.

A real shame to lose him, I think LFC have hit their peak as a result. Suarez is the definition of irreplaceable as far as the PL is concerned. I think it'll be a struggle for top 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

tok9 wrote: »
    Pandaistheman

We have a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Whatever about Suarez we can't afford to lose Panda!!

Sexual Harassment Panda?

murpho999 wrote: »
    After the Torres transfer I learnt that footballers are different animals to us fans so I don't get emotionally attached to them anymore.

Suarez doesn't give a **** about us or LFC as he was prepared to go Madrid, Barca and even bloody Arsenal in the last year.

What's your point then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mike65istheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Spurswantyourman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Mike65istheman
    Mike65wastheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

____IsTheMan

Saves on future pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What's your point then?

That the club should not be criticised for selling him and people should realise that Suarez is the one pushing for this and therefore the club should just get it over and done with quickly.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Thank you! I am not having that Arsenal are a bigger draw than us. What player cares that their dull stadium holds more dull fans? The atmosphere are Anfield is world renowned.

We can pay top wages, we can give CL football, we have a young improving team, and a manager who wants to win it all, not settle for CL mediocrity each year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Dickerty wrote: »
    Thank you! I am not having that Arsenal are a bigger draw than us. What player cares that their dull stadium holds more dull fans? The atmosphere are Anfield is world renowned.

We can pay top wages, we can give CL football, we have a young improving team, and a manager who wants to win it all, not settle for CL mediocrity each year...

They're also in London, which I'm sure could be a massive factor for a young, rich footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Young players see this as part of their career path, rather than getting stuck in a rut in the North West of England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Gusistheman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Didi Hamman is on the radio now and was talking about Suarez. His opinion is that he will be happy to see the back of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tritium wrote: »
    If Luis goes so be it, he's a great footballer but not irreplaceable. Athletics fans would have thought the same when we bought Torres, Juve fans when RM bought Zidane. In each case they either found an arguably better player or bought several players who possibly made them stronger as a unit. Liverpool if they're clever can do the same.

Much as we rave about Suarez remember we bought him for (only) 22 odd million. He wasn't exactly an established superstar that we broke the bank for. And there's another lad just like him plying his trade right now with an Ajax or a Groningen, the trick is to find him again.

Yeah he is:

- Torres was never a top three in the world player;
    - Juve's situation has always been very different to ours;
    - Liverpool have a poor record in the transfer market as a club over the past decade;
    - Yeah, I'm sure we can keep winning the lottery;

I wonder why people are compelled to write posts like the above? Who are they trying to kid with respect to minimising the significance of his departure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Liverpool lose their best players also. They just didnt have enough to lose year on year.

I can see why people would think Arsenal would be more of a draw. London, consistent CL and their best player isnt leaving. That last one is the biggest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Koncheskyistheman

Was Van Persie as important to Arsenal as Suarez is to Liverpool? I'd argue Suarez is far more important to Liverpool.

Have they not proven they will be in the Champions League regardless of who they lose year on year?

Arsenal in the Champions League: 15 straight years or something. More successful, experienced, respected manager.

Liverpool have been out since 2008. Rely heavily on one player over all others (top goalscorer and top assister) and that player will be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Why wouldn't they be? One good season in 5 years and Liverpool are the top club in England all of a sudden. Arsenal are a club run exceptionally with a world class respected manager, richer then most clubs in England and run in a exceptional way, to top it all off there based smack bang in London. You can talk about history all you want Arsenal have a great history also but do you think a player will take history into consideration. You may argue that Liverpool had a better season then arsenal but in the end Arsenal were about 2 wins off Liverpool and finished the season with silverware. They are an will be a much bigger draw for nearly all players out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bjørntorekvarmeistheman

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    Liverpool lose their best players also. They just didnt have enough to lose year on year.

I can see why people would think Arsenal would be more of a draw. London, consistent CL and their best player isnt leaving. That last one is the biggest

So, like when they sold Anelka, Overmars, Viera, Adebayor, Toure, Henry, Fabregas, Song, Nasri, RVP...

Yes, he finds good replacements, but Arsenal have sold their best players consistantly over the last decade.

I think you need to step away from this as a fan and think about a foreign player making the decision to come to Liverpool.

Why wouldn't they be? One good season in 5 years and Liverpool are the top club in England all of a sudden. Arsenal are a club run exceptionally with a world class respected manager, richer then most clubs in England and run in a exceptional way, to top it all off there based smack bang in London. You can talk about history all you want Arsenal have a great history also but do you think a player will take history into consideration. You may argue that Liverpool had a better season then arsenal but in the end Arsenal were about 2 wins off Liverpool and finished the season with silverware. They are an will be a much bigger draw for nearly all players out there.

Pretty much all this.

We have plenty of work to do to be seen as a bigger draw than Arsenal after the last 5 years and one great season isn't going to chnage that. It remains to be seen if we can cope with losing our best player - Arsenal have proven they can.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That the club should not be criticised for selling him and people should realise that Suarez is the one pushing for this and therefore the club should just get it over and done with quickly.

Could you blame him for wanting to go to Barca? He's owes the club fcuk all.

As you've said, footballers are different animals. Very few have any loyalty and would at the drop of a hat if a club of that stature came knocking.

I said last year I'd be happy if he gave us one more season and he did so best of luck to him.

Have to admit, I'm almost more worried about who we bring in than Suarez leaving.

2 top class forwards are needed to replace him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

BBC have it on their front page that talks between us and Barcelona are progressing. While suspecting he'd go, never thought the day would come. Have to say I would be crushed if we were to lose him.

If we draw Barcelona in the group stages , I will be ripping.
    Well if his ban stands, he could well be suspended for both legs!

I thought it was 3 CL matches he was banned for?

Now I know it has been an awful long time since Liverpool played CL football but he cannot miss both legs as the first 3 games are against the 3 teams in the group and typically the 3rd & 4th games are back to back.

Therefore if Liverpool draw Barcelona in the group stages and Suarez is transferred to Barcelona he should be available if fit and selected for one game and banned for one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So, like when they sold Anelka, Overmars, Viera, Adebayor, Toure, Henry, Fabregas, Song, Nasri, RVP...

Yes, he finds good replacements, but Arsenal have sold their best players consistantly over the last decade.

Funding new stadium development is tough on finances as you lot are sure to find out sooner or later.

• Advertisement

I'll be amazed if his ban isn't reduced if he goes to Barca?

In fact are there odds anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Im not agruing that at all. We have. But I was pointing out that Liverpool sell their best players too. Torres, Alonso and Mascherano just off the top of my head and now Suarez looks like leaving.

Put it this way, last season Arsenal bought one of the best players out there. This year Liverpool are selling one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Suarez scored or assisted 43% of our goals last season. Irreplaceable.

You are painting far too simple a picture. If you want to take the complicated route, how long will Wenger be there? Will they sell Ramsey or Ozil to a rival, as they have consistantly sold their best players at their peak? Why have they not broken into the top 2 for TEN years? (we've been there twice)
    Always the bridesmaids.

Or if you keep it simple, and remember that Liverpool is a cosmopolitan city, and roughly the same distance flight back to Barca where his gf is from. He's a footballer, he'll think about football first. The NW of England is good enough for tons of Spanish and South American players, it's not Iceland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

You are painting far too simple a picture. If you want to take the complicated route, how long will Wenger be there? Will they sell Ramsey or Ozil to a rival, as they have consistantly sold their best players at their peak? Why have they not broken into the top 2 for TEN years? (we've been there twice)
    Always the bridesmaids.

Or if you keep it simple, and remember that Liverpool is a cosmopolitan city, and roughly the same distance flight back to Barca where his gf is from. He's a footballer, he'll think about football first. The NW of England is good enough for tons of Spanish and South American players, it's not Iceland...

Wenger just signed a three year contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement