Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

greendom wrote: »
    Funding new stadium development is tough on finances as you lot are sure to find out sooner or later.

You lot? Nice.

Arsenal build an entire stadium, cost almost £400M.
    Us lot are upgrading parts of an existing stadium for £150M.
    We will not be selling star players to fund the stadium, that is a standard infrastructure cost which will be ammortised over time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One good season in 5 years and Liverpool are the top club in England all of a sudden.
    Fail.

No one is saying we're the best club in England, but we're certainly up there. Yes, we have a pretty awful 3 seasons or so, but we've re-established ourselves.
    Arsenal are a club run exceptionally with a world class respected manager, richer then most clubs in England and run in a exceptional way, to top it all off there based smack bang in London. You can talk about history all you want Arsenal have a great history also but do you think a player will take history into consideration. You may argue that Liverpool had a better season then arsenal but in the end Arsenal were about 2 wins off Liverpool and finished the season with silverware. They are an will be a much bigger draw for nearly all players out there.
    Wrong. The London thing is ridiculously overrated. Players essentially want two things.

1. Money. Liverpool can match Arsenal here.
    2. To win trophies at the highest level possible. Both teams have won feck all in recent years.

If anything, I would have us as being slightly ahead of Arsenal as an attractive destination. At least we look progressive. Arsenal seem happy enough to be perennial 4th placers.

Suarez scored or assisted 43% of our goals last season. Irreplaceable.

Especially when you consider the amount of goals we scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dickerty wrote: »
    You lot? Nice.

Arsenal build an entire stadium, cost almost £400M.
    Us lot are upgrading parts of an existing stadium for £150M.
    We will not be selling star players to fund the stadium, that is a standard infrastructure cost which will be ammortised over time!

Apologies, it was meant with affection, even if it didn't come across that way.

Fair play to the Liverpool board if they can do it without affecting the quality of players bought (or not sold)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Fail.

No one is saying we're the best club in England, but we're certainly up there. Yes, we have a pretty awful 3 seasons or so, but we've re-established ourselves.

Wrong. The London thing is ridiculously overrated. Players essentially want two things.

1. Money. Liverpool can match Arsenal here.
    2. To win trophies at the highest level possible. Both teams have won feck all in recent years.

If anything, I would have us as being slightly ahead of Arsenal as an attractive destination. At least we look progressive. Arsenal seem happy enough to be perennial 4th placers.

Well then why does it seem Sanchez prefers arsenal.

egghead. wrote: »
    Well then why does it seem Sanchez prefers arsenal.
    When did he tell you that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ballague confirmed on SS this morning that Liverpool and Barca have been talking long before the WC about Suarez transfer
    It was always on the cards this year
    Lets see if Rodgers can find the 2014 version of when Keegan left and they brought in Dalglish...I trust in the man, he's not done too bad so far
    We should be moving on now and supporting the lads who are still wearing the red shirt for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

jonny666 wrote: »
    Put it this way, last season Arsenal bought one of the best players out there. This year Liverpool are selling one.

Ozil is fast becoming one of the most over rated players in the history of the EPL. The way some people are going on about him you'd swear he was exceptional at Arsenal. Decent player but for the money paid he had a very average season.

One of the best out there he certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

You are painting far too simple a picture. If you want to take the complicated route, how long will Wenger be there? Will they sell Ramsey or Ozil to a rival, as they have consistantly sold their best players at their peak? Why have they not broken into the top 2 for TEN years? (we've been there twice)
    Always the bridesmaids.

Or if you keep it simple, and remember that Liverpool is a cosmopolitan city, and roughly the same distance flight back to Barca where his gf is from. He's a footballer, he'll think about football first. The NW of England is good enough for tons of Spanish and South American players, it's not Iceland...

Dont mean to sound stupid here but if he thinks about football first why would he not go to arsenal, There is a good chance he hasn't a clue who Brendan Rodgers is or know much about the history of Liverpool. Saurez going is huge it send out mixed messages best player leaving the club. Like you said you can make it simple arsenal may not have been in the top 2 for the last 10 years but Liverpool have never won the premier league. You can argue both sides but Arsenal are a bigger pull. The have financed a new stadium and still maintained a top club status the days of arsenal selling there best players are over. I admire the way Liverpool are run dont get me wrong but its stupid to think there a bigger pull then Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ozil is fast becoming one of the most over rated players in the history of the EPL. The way some people are going on about him you'd swear he was exceptional at Arsenal. Decent player but for the money paid he had a very average season.

Yeah but that was only his first season. I dont think his pedigree is in doubt but rather his ability to produce it in the premier league which isnt always a given. See how he is this season imo.

• Advertisement

Bookmarked :D

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Ballague confirmed on SS this morning that Liverpool and Barca have been talking long before the WC about Suarez transfer
    Lets see if Rodgers can find the 2014 version of when Keegan left and they brought in Dalglish...I trust in the man, he's not done too bad so far
    We should be moving on now and supporting the lads who are still wearing the red shirt for next season

Ballague is a chancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Funding new stadium development is tough on finances as you lot are sure to find out sooner or later.

I said it last year. Stadium developments coinciding with Gerrard and Suarez no longer being around, will be tough for Liverpool to cope with and progress from.

At that time, I felt Suarez would be around for 2014/15 as well.

Ballague confirmed on SS this morning
    Not saying the move won't happen, but Balague has been spectacularly wrong on a lot of this kind of thing before. I think he's just regurgitating other rumours in the hope it makes him look like he's in the know.

Suarez scored or assisted 43% of our goals last season. Irreplaceable.

So you don't replace him with a single player. Coutinho was involved in 12 goals, Lallana is an upgrade there.
    Sterling was involved in 16 goals, but only got going 1/3rd of the way into the season, so he'll improve those numbers.
    And whoever replaces Suarez himself, Sanchez was involved in 38 goals for Barca, despite playing out wide usually and not starting every game.

PLUS, we can use the extra cash to improve the defense, so hopefully we don't NEED 101 goals to fall short of top spot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Suarez looks as if it's a done deal it's only a matter of agreeing the figure..

If Sanchez opts for Arsenal, who should we be targeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lol baltter is praising suarez for apolagising now, he will end up with a small ban when he moves to barca. Farcical stuff happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah he is:

- Torres was never a top three in the world player;
    - Juve's situation has always been very different to ours;
    - Liverpool have a poor record in the transfer market as a club over the past decade;
    - Yeah, I'm sure we can keep winning the lottery;

I wonder why people are compelled to write posts like the above? Who are they trying to kid with respect to minimising the significance of his departure?

We're compelled to write them because we don't agree with your prophets of doom stuff Lloyd, sorry if it bothers you so much (actually I'm not)

Suarez wasn't a top 3 player when we bought him. That came during his time at Anfield (though I'd argue we have slightly rose tinted glasses on here since he's only really done (exceptionally) well in the PL.

Zidane when sold to RM was one of if not the best players on the planet. Juve did what any club can do in that situation- the spent the money and bought some players. Critically they didn't do a spurs, they bought the players they needed rather than raided the sweetshop

Agreed we've been poor on transfers, but we haven't had fsg for the last decade. You'd hope the transfer committee is a recognition of the mistakes of the past and while they're not perfect I'm prepared to give them a bit if time rather than rushing to judgement.

Its not about winning the lottery. If it was we wouldn't see clubs using this strategy over and over again. It is different, and risky when you're competing with spending power like Chelsea and city but so is doing a Leeds and expecting to live outside your means. Realistically Liverpool can expect one marquee signing every season or two. The rest of the quality has to come through other channels.

Bookmarked :D

:pac:

In all honesty, do you think he is currently one of the best Midfielders in World football. I dont think he is even the best Midfielder at Arsenal.

• Advertisement

The have financed a new stadium and still maintained a top club status the days of arsenal selling there best players are over. I admire the way Liverpool are run dont get me wrong but its stupid to think there a bigger pull then Arsenal.
    Footballers don't give a stuff about stadiums or how well a club is run. They want trophies and cold hard cash! Right now, there's virtually no difference between what either club can offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

0028673 wrote: »
    Suarez looks as if it's a done deal it's only a matter of agreeing the figure..

If Sanchez opts for Arsenal, who should we be targeting?

Origi maybe? I know hes young but people are already getting tight trousers over him.

In all honesty, do you think he is currently one of the best Midfielders in World football. I dont think he is even the best Midfielder at Arsenal.

Honestly, he didn't perform quite to the level I was expecting when he was signed. He still showed enough quality to show that it was down to adjusting to the different demands of the EPL. Looking forward to finally seeing the player we bought come August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

klose wrote: »
    Lol baltter is praising suarez for apolagising now, he will end up with a small ban when he moves to barca. Farcical stuff happening.

Should we be surprised? Corrupt little scumbag. All the more reason to squeeze the situation for every last drop

Vicxas wrote: »
    Origi maybe? I know hes young but people are already getting tight trousers over him.

Not the answer. He's very raw and has great potential but we need quality now not potential.

klose wrote: »

He'll be back by September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I completely trust the man as a coach/manager of players he has been amazing in that job.

But when it comes to transfers of players be it him or the so called transfer committee whoever they are, I really don't think Brendan or the committee are a good judge of players.

19 players have now been signed since Brendan became manager with a total cost of £120m spent on those players.

Of those 19 players how many would make the starting 11 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

He looks good going forward, but his final ball/finishing needs work from what I have seen in the WC

Not the answer. He's very raw and has great potential but we need quality now not potential.

True, i'm not sure who else there is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Right, if Suarez is going, or gone, and Sanchez is telling us to pull the other one, who do people want to see brought in to bolster out attacking two or three?

I'd love Griezmann, personally. I feel he'd compliment Sturridge and Sterling as well.

We have Coutinho and Sterling who can play CAM, plus Lallana, so I feel we'd probably refrain from adding there. A winger or another striker would probably be my bet.

That's why Sanchez fits the bill so well, but what can ya do?

The Kono deal looks like its dead, from a Liverpool perspective. Shaqiri, its all gone quiet on as well.

I think the likes of Di Maria or Benzema, are absolute pipe dreams. Especially if we sell Suarez to Barca, but even if we didn't, I can't see either entertaining the thought of coming to us.

I understand why Suarez is being sold, but I can't help but feel that we may all very well be feeling a bit disappointed come September when we evaluate our squad.

If they had someone like Henry up front, he'd be made to look a lot better, but their current attack doesn't suit his style...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Connavar wrote: »
    He looks good going forward, but his final ball/finishing needs work from what I have seen in the WC

Reminds me of young Danny Welbeck, lots of effort and potential. Danny never really reached the level of a top 4 player but Origi might

If we get Sanchez, you can have Sanogo on loan ?

If we get Sanchez, you can have Sanogo on loan ?

Thanks, but id rather dip my willy in acid.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

He looks a talent but his only 19 and barely has a full season with Lille under his belt..

Shaqiri would be a nice addition but we have plenty wide players in the squad..

The more I think of it we need competition for Gerrard. it pains me to say it but I can see this being a huge problem for Brendan Rodgers. Need to be able to whip him off when he tires/ dips in form..

I've heard good things about the Bender brothers in Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Footballers don't give a stuff about stadiums or how well a club is run. They want trophies and cold hard cash! Right now, there's virtually no difference between what either club can offer.

I would put the cash before the trophies. Apart from this year's FA Cup, neither club had won a trophy for over 5 years.

London is a big draw for sure. Even just for the variety of travel connections.

Time for our scouts to shine methinks :)

Lukkaku is one who I wouldn't mind us taking a punt at

0028673 wrote: »
    I've heard good things about the Bender brothers in Germany?

A word of warning lads......dont google this at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Time for our scouts t shine methinks :)

The same scouts that gave us Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto, Cissokho, Moses I know the last were two on loan.

These scouts need to up there game abit.

Knex. wrote: »
    Right, if Suarez is going, or gone, and Sanchez is telling us to pull the other one, who do people want to see brought in to bolster out attacking two or three?

It has to be a true striker with the ability to work the channels.
    Sanchez is really a very good fit, I hope we go for him with both barrels.

After him, maybe see what happens with Falcao? If Monaco are willing to part with him, I would assume they have a replacement somewhere, but maybe that frees up Benzema? Or if Di Maria is actually available, he'd be a no brainer?

But there are not many box strikers around...we could go a different route and get Mandzukic??

• Advertisement

Is Sanchez the answer? Haven't seen enough of him but people seem to really rate him.

We need another finisher even if we get him thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Birroc wrote: »
    I would put the cash before the trophies. Apart from this year's FA Cup, neither club had won a trophy for over 5 years.

London is a big draw for sure. Even just for the variety of travel connections.

cough!!
    article-2106747-11EC950F000005DC-948_634x405.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Is Sanchez the answer? Haven't seen enough of him but people seem to really rate him.

We need another finisher even if we get him thats for sure

He's very good on the ball. I'd be very happy with him signing but we'd need to pick up another striker to make up for the goals we'll be missing without Suarez.

Kunkka wrote: »
    He's very good on the ball. I'd be very happy with him signing but we'd need to pick up another striker to make up for the goals we'll be missing without Suarez.

How many strikers are you planning on starting? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

How many strikers are you planning on starting? :)

Well from what I've seen from Sanchez his best position is behind the strikers. That leaves Sturridge and Lambert as out & out strikers. I'd rather have a bit more :p

Kunkka wrote: »
    As dikerty just pointed out. That would probably mean dropping sturridge(who got 20 goals last season)
    EDIT: Just posted after your response. I think Sanchez would be up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

What about making a push for mario Gomez . He has shown he can score goals and he is fairly big and powerful so he might be a good option for the premier league .

Di Maria, Benzema, and Sanchez - all good players, but none of these are likely to fill Suarez's shoes. Hoping that we can look at some of the other rising stars who are just below the radar (Markovic, etc.).

From an outsider's perspective the amount of goals you scored last year was just ridiculous. rather than try and score a similar amount this year, maybe you should be looking to tighten up your defensive system and improve personnel in that area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What about making a push for mario Gomez . He has shown he can score goals and he is fairly big and powerful so he might be a good option for the premier league .

That fooker wouldn't run to warm himself! What has he done in 2 years?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement