Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

greendom wrote: »
    From an outsider's perspective the amount of goals you scored last year was just ridiculous. rather than try and score a similar amount this year, maybe you should be looking to tighten up your defensive system and improve personnel in that area ?

why-dont-you-go-back-to-your-home-on-whore-island_o_1052361.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We should really be looking for Sanchez and Lukaku.

Although Chelsea would probbaly want more than 25m for him if theyd let him go at all.

Sanchez plus another quality striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Remove Suarez's goals from last year's haul, and we'd still have scored 70 goals, making us the 3rd most potent in the league after Chelsea (71) and City (102).

Scoring goals is not our problem. Indeed, you could say that trying to accommodate two strikers contributed to our poor defensive showing. If we can replace Suarez with an attacking midfielder capable of 10 - 15 goals a season, we'll be in good shape.

We don't need a like-for-like change; we should see this as an opportunity to rebalance the team, and shore up some of our problem areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vicxas wrote: »
    why-dont-you-go-back-to-your-home-on-whore-island_o_1052361.jpg

outstayed my welcome have I - fair enough - don't think i said anything too controversial :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

noodler wrote: »
    We should really be looking for Sanchez and Lukaku.

Although Chelsea would probbaly want more than 25m for him if theyd let him go at all.

Sanchez plus another quality striker.

No to Lukaku for me, really dont think he is worth the money that is required.

He definitly has potential but is very vey raw at the moment

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    outstayed my welcome have I - fair enough - don't think i said anything too controversial :D

Ah im just messing with you, we're a bit delirious here in the ol Liverpool thread for the clinically insane and panda perverts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If we only focus on trying to replace Suarez's goals/assists and not the other problems in the team, then next season will be a cluster ****.

Sure we need attackers to replace him but we cannot forget about the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Remove Suarez's goals from last year's haul, and we'd still have scored 70 goals, making us the 3rd most potent in the league after Chelsea (71) and City (102).

Scoring goals is not our problem. Indeed, you could say that trying to accommodate two strikers contributed to our poor defensive showing. If we can replace Suarez with an attacking midfielder capable of 10 - 15 goals a season, we'll be in good shape.

We don't need a like-for-like change; we should see this as an opportunity to rebalance the team, and shore up some of our problem areas.

That actually is a good idea . It would be nice to be able to watch a game where it doesn't feel like suicide football is on show . If LFC could get a better balance to the team they could make a huge push for the league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't think we should do anything to upset the fluency of the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

If & when Suarez goes i'l have gone from so looking forward to next season with so much expectation to expect a "meh" season.He is such a joy to watch & on the edge of your seat when he's on the ball.
    We are not going to replace that no matter who we get in.
    Also if we can't get Sanchez in the Suarez deal what makes people think we can attract that level of quality from somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

brevity wrote: »
    If we only focus on trying to replace Suarez's goals/assists and not the other problems in the team, then next season will be a cluster ****.

Finally, someone says it!

Speaking of defence, Lovern is acting up. Says he won't return for pre-season with Southampton as he no longer wishes to play for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Finally, someone says it!

Speaking of defence, Lovern is acting up. Says he won't return for pre-season with Southampton as he no longer wishes to play for them.

Cue lots of Liverpool fans being two-faced and saying he is right, they shouldn't stand in his way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

For someone whos only 24 Lovern has played 197 first team games for various clubs, thats mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I am a fan of Lovern's.. But at what cost? I've seen 20m being touted as a potential price.. That is excessive and we know Southampton are not gonna roll over and why should they they've got a barrel of cash for losing 3key players..

Is there any truth to the Bertrand rumours.. Very underwhelming if true..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would welcome Lukaku in to be honest. Has all the power and pace needed as well as being an aerial threat. Benteke is another option given his injury tho is unlikely this summer and Villa should be struggling next year so he might be coming available

Controversially enough, I wouldnt mind seeing Liverpool making a go to sign Barkley. Probably unlikely now that Lallana has joined tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

0028673 wrote: »
    I am a fan of Lovern's.. But at what cost? I've seen 20m being touted as a potential price.. That is excessive and we know Southampton are not gonna roll over and why should they they've got a barrel of cash for losing 3key players..

Is there any truth to the Bertrand rumours.. Very underwhelming if true..

Saw a good quote on Bertrand, questioning whether it was snobbery towards the signing of Bertrand as opposed to querying his quality following significant watching of his performances.

That said Ashley Cole on a free transfer would be my first choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are we gonna spend all next season saying after every game ' Suarez would have scored that, Suarez would have done this blah, blah, blah'? He was on the way out, whether he disgraced himself at the WC or not. Let's see how we progress now, if we're only a one man team then we will end up where we deserve to be, but I'd give BR more credit than that.

LS has brought great moments to the club, the same way Keegan, Dalglish, Fowler, Owen, Aldridge, Barnes, Torres, et al did, and thanks to him for that.

But the club goes on, some things are out of their control. YNWA, c'mon the 'Pool!!

slingerz wrote: »
    Saw a good quote on Bertrand, questioning whether it was snobbery towards the signing of Bertrand as opposed to querying his quality following significant watching of his performances.

That said Ashley Cole on a free transfer would be my first choice

Wages would be an issue here.. Not sure what his on but I would imagine it's a 150k plus and I could see the likes of Monaco paying that..

I would not be opposed to his signing - he has been class player for years and can give us leader in defence.

I would prefer a Rodriguez/Moreno type as a long term solution..

So we sign Louvren, then where do we put him in, beside Sakho?

That still leaves the lumbering mess that is Glen Johnson, unless we can move Enrique over and leave Flanno where he is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd welcome Lukakakakakaku with open arms. It would give us a few extra dimensions up front, he would compiment the attacking players we have.
    He'd also be handy at defending corners and leaving our more pacier players as the counter attacking threat.
    He also has the much needed EPL experience, so there would be no bedding in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren would be a very good signing. There is very few good CB's to sign. Id even pay 20m for him but hopefully we get him for about 15m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

With Bertrand I think it's the fact that he's 25 next month and has hardly even been first choice anywhere in his life apart from a brief spell at Villa last season as part of a terrible defence.

He might not be bad but he's almost certainly no better than what we already have. Plus Chelsea want 8M for him apparently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Anyone know how Hunterlaar is playing lately. I've seen him in the Netherlands squad and making a brief appearance in the WC.
    He's in his last year of contract and hitting 30 I think?

Would he be worth a punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lovren would be a very good signing. There is very few good CB's to sign. Id even pay 20m for him but hopefully we get him for about 15m.

Expect to overpay for players this summer. Other clubs will know Liverpool are cash rich and are very eager to sign players. They'll look extort as much as possible from any potential signing.

0028673 wrote: »

You could get Chiellini for less than that, he's out of contract next summer, although he seems like a Juve lifer...

All of the following are all also expiring next summer, some bargains to be had?

Toni Kroos
    Karim Benzema (rumours today in Spain that he's signed a new deal?)
    Marcelo
    Edin Dzeko
    Alan Dzagoev
    Sami Khedira
    Andriy Yarmolenko
    Dani Alves
    Iker Muniain
    Evgen Konoplyanka
    James Milner
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PS4FORLOSERS

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd welcome Lukakakakakaku with open arms. It would give us a few extra dimensions up front, he would compiment the attacking players we have.
    He'd also be handy at defending corners and leaving our more pacier players as the counter attacking threat.
    He also has the much needed EPL experience, so there would be no bedding in time.

I just don't see why Chelsea aren't giving him a fair crack in the first team. I think he is a great centre forward and if Suarez was to go I would snap him up. We'll take what Chelsea deem as Rubbish and turn them into stars a la Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Footballers don't give a stuff about stadiums or how well a club is run. They want trophies and cold hard cash! Right now, there's virtually no difference between what either club can offer.

Except liverpool can offer guaranteed CL football next season and arsenal can't yet.

Out of interest, do Liverpool fans think that a direct replacement for Suarez is really needed?
    I mean you could play with one striker (Sturridge) with lambert as a back up.
    Then use the Suarez money to improve defence and to find a replacement for gerrard.
    I think if you go for a top striker, you'll end up spending a large portion of the Suarez money.
    Torres/Carroll springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just don't see why Chelsea aren't giving him a fair crack in the first team. I think he is a great centre forward and if Suarez was to go I would snap him up. We'll take what Chelsea deem as Rubbish and turn them into stars a la Sturridge.

And Borini and Moses.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    So we sign Louvren, then where do we put him in, beside Sakho?

That still leaves the lumbering mess that is Glen Johnson, unless we can move Enrique over and leave Flanno where he is.

I think we'd need a new FB as well. If it's a LB, then we let Wisdom, Flanno and Glenjo fight it out. Apparently, Kelly will get a chance to make an impression at CB, god knows when since he's about 6th choice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dickerty wrote: »
    You could get Chiellini for less than that, he's out of contract next summer, although he seems like a Juve lifer...

All of the following are all also expiring next summer, some bargains to be had?

Toni Kroos
    Karim Benzema (rumours today in Spain that he's signed a new deal?)
    Marcelo
    Edin Dzeko
    Alan Dzagoev
    Sami Khedira
    Andriy Yarmolenko
    Dani Alves
    Iker Muniain
    Evgen Konoplyanka
    James Milner
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

A lifer in Italian football? They seem to transfer more than LOI players.

'Gotta play for them all'.

As for that list Munian sticks out like a sore thumb as a Coutinho type buy.

I think that Chelsea (maybe the owner) want to be like Real and have a star named player in every position. Lukaku doesn't fit that criteria for them. That's the only reason I can think of.
    Unless the player is throwing hissy fits and not accepting being a squad player and wanting confirmation he starts every game.

Dickerty wrote: »

Chiellini is a class player but I reckon playing a High Line would expose his lack of pace , much like it did with John Terry when AVB employed those tactics with Chelsea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Luis does go we have about a £120m roughly left in the transfer budget or £80m with Sanchez left give or take.

I'd be very happy with the below but it's only fantasy really if it's just cash without Sanchez.

Two Swiss players Rodriguez & Shaqiri £40m roughly

Lovern £20m roughly

Two Ukrainian wingers Konoplyanka & Yarmolenko £30m roughly.

We still need a RB and a Keeper.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A lifer in Italian football? They seem to transfer more than LOI players.

'Gotta play for them all'.

As for that list Munian sticks out like a sore thumb as a Coutinho type buy.

There is the odd one - Maldini, Totti, Baresi...

Muniain is one that has been mentioned, would need a lot of game time to get him back to the level expected a few years back...

• Advertisement

If Luis does go we have about a £120m roughly left in the transfer budget or £80m with Sanchez left give or take.

I'd be very happy with the below but it's only fantasy really if it's just cash without Sanchez.

Two Swiss players Rodriguez & Shaqiri £40m roughly

Lovern £20m roughly

Two Ukrainian wingers Konoplyanka & Yarmolenko £30m roughly.

We still need a RB and a Keeper.

You're getting £120 million for Suarez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

In other news we have again been linked with shaqiri with a few european journalists reporting that a deal is very close

Reread what I wrote........ his sale ontop of our transfer budget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Suarez doesn't comprise our entire transfer budget.

Reread what I wrote........ his sale ontop of our transfer budget!

Ah, I see. You didn't write that..

• Advertisement

If Luis does go we have about a £120m roughly left in the transfer budget.
    Ah, I see. You didn't write that..

I think I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah he is:

- Torres was never a top three in the world player;
    - Juve's situation has always been very different to ours;
    - Liverpool have a poor record in the transfer market as a club over the past decade;
    - Yeah, I'm sure we can keep winning the lottery;

I wonder why people are compelled to write posts like the above? Who are they trying to kid with respect to minimising the significance of his departure?

I wonder why people are compelled to write posts maximising the significance of significance of his departure? I guess opinions are there to be shared, especially on an internet forum. But seriously, i think the last 20 years of supporting the pool has worn you down to a point where positive thinking is just too painful for you to even contemplate! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If we could get our targets.Our team would be something like

______________Mignolet_____________
    Flanagan____Lovren___Sakho____Moreno
    ______________Gerrard______________
    ______Henderson_______Coutinho/Lallana
    _____________Sterling_______________
    _______Sanchez________Sturridge______

Its a big If. But it would a team capable of challenging for the PL imo.
    We could do with another DM. I think De Jong could a cheap & a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MD1990 wrote: »
    If we could get our targets.Our team would be something like

______________Mignolet_____________
    Flanagan____Lovren___Sakho____Moreno
    ______________Gerrard______________
    ______Henderson_______Coutinho/Lallana
    _____________Sterling_______________
    _______Sanchez________Sturridge______

Its a big If. But it would a team capable of challenging for the PL imo.
    We could do with another DM. I think De Jong could a cheap & a good signing.

Flanagan should only be a back up. He does a job but isn't quality. If we are getting a CB then one of Agger/Skrtel would need to go I'd imagine.

Also have we signed Can? Thats DM sorted I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Ashley Cole on a free transfer would be my first choice

Could we get Dani Alves for the same wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can. He whinges about wanting to leave and believes that he should be allowed based on some random number in his contract. However he wilfully chooses to ignore the "don't act the bollix" clause in same contract. Biting people is not cool and he deserves to rot in the Liverpool first 11 for at least another year to atoll for his crimes.

'Rot' in the Liverpool first eleven??? Poor phrasing there.

brevity wrote: »

Surely that was a given regardless of whether Suarez is sold or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bit of a false start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Odds on Suarez getting his ban either reduced or suspended altogether after he joins Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

monkey9 wrote: »
    'Rot' in the Liverpool first eleven??? Poor phrasing there.

Think that was a joke......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement