Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Gbear wrote: »
    We've probably got more money and the Italian league is a bit **** but it's a more or less guaranteed league title every year and CL, in addition to requiring less settling in, having already played in Italy.

Also it's in Milan and apparently he's into the sorts of things someone with that haircut would be into.

Juventus is in Turin, not sure but I dont think he'll struggle financially there.

He'd joining a serious squad with Pogba, Tevez, Pirlo , his countryman Vidal, Marchisio and Buffon.

Chuck Sanchez into that mix and they have a good shout at progressing well in the champions league.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just after reading that all is going smoothly between LFC and Barca. The one gap is that we are holding out for £80 million, and Barca are offerring £60 mil.
    That is a huge gap, I'm guessing that there is a figure of £80mil as the buyout, so we dont ain't not got to do nothing until that amount is met.

At this stage I've accepted that he is leaving us. I don't like it, but there is nothing we can do short of getting an Arsenal style petition together to try keep him at the club.

We want 80, they open with 60.

70 it is.

I'd be shocked if we got near 80 for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I am pie wrote: »
    Juventus is in Turin, not sure but I dont think he'll struggle financially there.

He'd joining a serious squad with Pogba, Tevez, Pirlo , his countryman Vidal, Marchisio and Buffon.

Chuck Sanchez into that mix and they have a good shout at progressing well in the champions league.
    Juventus don't have the money to buy Sanchez. Very unlikely he goes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lads forget bout Walcott we won't sell him to ye

Maybe an extra £1 would sweeten a potential deal

MD1990 wrote: »
    Juventus don't have the money to buy Sanchez. Very unlikely he goes there.

Depends, if Pogba isnt going to sign a new contract he has one yr left, that makes him a potential source of income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On Walcott: I was absolutely in favour of bringing him in when were were linked with him a while back (same window as Sturridge came in, I believe). I think his pace and directness would fit right in, and Sterling-Sturridge-Walcott would be frightening. One big caveat though, is that he's just returning from a serious knee injury, so there's definitely a risk there. Still -- if Arsenal nab Walcott, this one could work for all parties involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Walcott is decent but you'd need another attacker in as well as him

Arsenal wouldn't sell him to us anyway

I agree on both counts. I do think he showed his best form when played up the middle, after signing his new deal last season, so it's not impossible to imagine him playing as a pseudo striker either side of Sturridge, with Sterling on the other, with none a true winger and all capable of both getting into the box, or of beating a FB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »

Ask Ray and Ronnie to say nice stuff about them and we'll have a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just after reading that all is going smoothly between LFC and Barca. The one gap is that we are holding out for £80 million, and Barca are offerring £60 mil.
    That is a huge gap, I'm guessing that there is a figure of £80mil as the buyout, so we dont ain't not got to do nothing until that amount is met.

At this stage I've accepted that he is leaving us. I don't like it, but there is nothing we can do short of getting an Arsenal style petition together to try keep him at the club.

I doubt Liverpool would have valued him at £80 million last summer and that Suarez would have signed the deal knowing he intended to move at some stage

I'm guessing there is no release clause

70 it is.

Barca should be told "buy out clause of GTFO".

If we sell Suarez for anything under £80m we really are Saps of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

70 it is.

We want 80, they open with 60.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 70.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 75.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 75 + some gimpy squad player.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 80.....we still them to fúck off, he's our player so fúck off, you need to be taught a lessen you wankbags!

I doubt Liverpool would have valued him at £80 million last summer and that Suarez would have signed the deal knowing he intended to move at some stage

I'm guessing there is no release clause

Him signing a new contract would make little sense then, seeing as he definitely wanted out last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Derp. Dunno what happened to my brain there. "The Old Lady of Milan"?:o

On the Vidal point, I'd be surprised if he stays at Juventus forever, or even for more than a year.

Him signing a new contract would make little sense then, seeing as he definitely wanted out last summer.

Did he not sign the new contract after Liverpool made it clear they weren't selling him? A bump in wages for the season he was hardly going to turn down but if there was a clause in it that said a team must pay 80 million before you can leave I'm sure he would have objected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If Can has time to lean he has time to clean, get that lad a brush quick, let's see what his work ethic is like.

Brush?
    Pfft, can't he just invert that mop on his head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think the media are hung on the Sanchez thing as it seems that Barca are letting him go.

However, Liverpool have been linked with Tello and Pedro before so wouldn't be surprised it either of them come in the mix.

Barca have a few players that seem to be available - Xavi, Song, Deulofeu and Montoya also.

I think that an outright deal will be agreed soon though and then any other transfers to Liverpool may likely soon follow and they can then net the payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports this afternoon that lfc have had a £20 million pound rejected for lovren by the saints

Christ, 20m !! ....for Lovren!!!

Try and leave a few quid in the coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How much would it have cost to buy the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ricero wrote: »
    Reports this afternoon that lfc have had a £20 million pound rejected for lovren by the saints

The Southern Echo had it as one of their lead sports stories this morning.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11315980.Lovren_to_force_exit_from_Saints_with_pre_season_no_show/?ref=var_0&ref=mmsp

• Advertisement

Did he not sign the new contract after Liverpool made it clear they weren't selling him? A bump in wages for the season he was hardly going to turn down but if there was a clause in it that said a team must pay 80 million before you can leave I'm sure he would have objected

He signed a contract in December, a good few months after the Arsenal fiasco.

Nobody knows if there's a clause or not, all speculation.

He signed a contract in December, a good few months after the Arsenal fiasco.

Nobody knows if there's a clause or not, all speculation.

I'm just saying it doesn't make sense if there is one, because if there was it would most probably be in the 50-65 range but Barca would have triggered that already if their reported offers are true.

I think there isn't and both clubs will probably settle around 70-75 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

kfallon wrote: »
    We want 80, they open with 60.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 70.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 75.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 75 + some gimpy squad player.....we tell them to fúck off
    We want 80, they come back with 80.....we still them to fúck off, he's our player so fúck off, you need to be taught a lessen you wankbags!

Very similar approach to how we signed Carroll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Turtyturd wrote: »
    How much would it have cost to buy the club?

or just the soton academy

I'm just saying it doesn't make sense if there is one, because if there was it would most probably be in the 50-65 range but Barca would have triggered that already if their reported offers are true.

I think there isn't and both clubs will probably settle around 70-75 million

It does make sense alright that there's no release clause if there's offers as reported.

Yeah I reckon it'll be around the same sort of price range too tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

djPSB wrote: »
    Very similar approach to how we signed Carroll.

According to Newcastle it went like this:

LFC: We open for £30m
    Newcastle to themselves: errrr, we weren't expecting that much.... what do we do..... er ask for £35m?
    LFC: ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Would it have been cheaper to buy Southampton Football Club and asset strip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Would it have been cheaper to buy Southampton Football Club and asset strip?

Probably.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats the collective feeling here if suarez does leave for pastures afresh?

I think I speak for everyone when I say: if he goes, he'll never walk alone, but if he comes near our new no nonsense defence with nutmegs on his mind, he may never walk again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sky Sports 3 now - a man whose heart was broken when he was told he could leave the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kfallon wrote: »
    Sky Sports 3 now - a man whose heart was broken when he was told he could leave the club!

Salif diao ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A bit pessimistic about our chances next year - 4th could be a real struggle.

At the same time, now is probably the right time to sell, with his ban and his age. So I can't fault the club for entering into negotiations. He will miss a good chunk of next season and everyone in England will be waiting to pounce on his next misdemeanour, which will be punished severely. It is perhaps not worth the risk.

It all depends what we do with the money that comes in too. If Sanchez was included in part of any deal I'd be happy as it'd mean getting a 'marquee' player (to use the cliche). If we also moved in for Shaquiri and were still left with change, then I'd go as far as saying the club did very good business: Sterling, Sturridge, Sanchez, Shaquiri as a front 4 would be incredibly exciting and I imagine devastating too.

So in this scenario I'd be quite happy.

If we were to only go in for the likes of Origi (who I admit looks exciting but is still young), fail to land Shaquiri and makedo with a less proven player, then I wouldn't be happy at all.

I really hope we insist on Sanchez as part of the deal, even it results in us taking as much as £40m off the price of Suarez. £40m plus Sanchez would sit much better with me than a straight £80m, as I wouldn't be sure if we would strengthen well enough with just a load of cash.

As for Suarez, I can understand why he would want to go. He is no angel, but the extent to which he is villified and scrutinised in the English press must make him fed up. He shouldn't do what he does, but if he does it in Spain it will be a sub-story underneath the goals he scored, not front page news for weeks on end. Going to Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern is probably the pinnacle these days for the best players, so you can understand if Suarez wants to make that step up. I just hopes he leaves in the best way possible, doesn't cause a stink, and we get a fair price for him.

I wouldn't go along with those who might suggest he 'owes' us for 'sticking by him'.

However, if Barca don't stump up the requisite cash, I'd hope he'd put his head down and not rock the boat - he signed a contract very recently so whatever he agreed to in that, and whatever clause was included, he has to live with.

TLDR: Think now is probably the right time to sell him for a number of factors. I think he will go, there is genuine interest from a big team (not like last year). If we use this money aggressively to bring in the likes of Sanchez and Shaquiri then I'll be happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So they say negotiations are going well but I'd love to know how it takes so long.
    When you consider we bought Andy Carroll in 5 minutes.

It was like having an incredibly hot,way out of our league mentally unstable girlfriend. The good times were unbelievable but there were some hairy moments and high drama along the way. We'll always have the memories but we knew this day was coming.

We traded her in for as many camels as we could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

So I can come out and say it for sure now...I was Can's teacher in Frankfurt for the last couple of weeks and then he goes all the way to Liverpool and does his interview in German! ha! We practiced all these questions, tactics, footballing language etc but I guess he doesn't feel ready to speak in English yet. Two weeks are really nothing to be honest to get ready.

A nice chap all the same. He told me that he was in the starting 11 for the first time last year against Man. Utd at Old Trafford and I asked who did he swap his shirt with. He said it kept it for his mum. Would like to see him do well for us.

So I can come out and say it for sure now...I was Can's teacher in Frankfurt for the last couple of weeks and then he goes all the way to Liverpool and does his interview in German! ha! We practiced all these questions, tactics, footballing language etc but I guess he doesn't feel ready to speak in English yet. Two weeks are really nothing to be honest to get ready.

A nice chap all the same. He told me that he was in the starting 11 for the first time last year against Man. Utd at Old Trafford and I asked who did he swap his shirt with. He said it kept it for his mum. Would like to see him do well for us.

2 weeks to do an interview! Assume he had some sort of English otherwise that would be supremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

2 weeks to do an interview! Assume he had some sort of English otherwise that would be supremely difficult.

Like all Germans at 20 he has English already, a hell of a lot of vocab just a bit shy when speaking it. He said that Liverpool went after him a couple of years ago and approached Bayern when he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Did he teach ya any tricks? Yano, in return like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So I can come out and say it for sure now...I was Can's teacher in Frankfurt for the last couple of weeks.

There was me thinking you lived in Korea !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

That's class, I've been teaching English for the last few years, would've always have loved to get a footballer student, I'd say that class was some fun!

Any other insights into the game or about him as a player/person? Did you talk to him about any of his future teammates or give your opinion on them/Rodgers/the club? Any possibility of him asking you to continue teaching him in Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thanks, but id rather dip my willy in acid.....

Will Munny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The more I think of it we just tell Barca if Sanchez doesn't want to come to us then no deal unless its £80m cash and they don't sell him to and English rival.

If they sell him to an English rival we keep Luis.

The more I think of it we just tell Barca if Sanchez doesn't want to come to us then no deal unless its £80m cash and they don't sell him to and English rival.

If they sell him to an English rival we keep Luis.

Barca: Yeah, sure, deal (winking and nudging each other)
    Liverpool: Good, don't feed Luis after midnight. Send the money over asap
    Barca: OK (sign contract, send money)

Next day...

Barca: Hey, Arsene..listen, we were gonna call sooner but Brendan was being a bit weird. Anyway, listen, about that Chilean kid.

Barca: Yeah, sure, deal (winking and nudging each other)
    Liverpool: Good, don't feed Luis after midnight. Send the money over asap
    Barca: OK (sign contract, send money)

Next day...

Barca: Hey, Arsene..listen, we were gonna call sooner but Brendan was being a bit weird. Anyway, listen, about that Chilean kid.

Barca don't have that long before there appeal to be heard about there world wide transfer ban. We just hold out till it suits us.

Whats the wrost case: No deal is done and we keep Luis.

We hold all the cards here. well the players contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Marco Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Will Munny?

Mama? Is that you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sure he has been mentioned over the last day or so but Wilfried Bony is a player I would love us to sign if Suarez is definitely going.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sure he has been mentioned over the last day or so but Wilfried Bony is a player I would love us to sign if Suarez is definitely going.

Bony or Remy or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Does anyone think Liverpool are being taken for a complete ride with this Suarez issue? Liverpool pay the guy's wages so they should be the ones calling the shots during this 4 month ban. He is essentially being rewarded with a big money transfer while he is banned and Liverpool are paying his wages. Nuts. For example they should have the power to block all medicals, transfers etc. Something tells me that if this was Man Utd, FIFA and Barca would be less inclined to treat the club with such contempt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement