Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We will miss Suarez, that's without doubt. But i have no real issue with people who think we should sell now tbh.

He is a class player, but with such a 'murky' personality on the pitch that i think it might be the right time to sell actually. It will obviously be a gamble but tbh, its the club and the future of the club that comes first.

I think one thing that hasnt really been mentioned is that we know of the other 2 Madrid players who went for 80 odd million but Suarez will move (?) for similar money while being around 4 years older than those players when they moved and be much closer to his 'expiry date'.

In summation, he would be massively missed but i cant and wont blame the club for deciding to cash in. We will just gamble a bit on CL qualification next season. Even if Suarez stays, and even if he has a similar season, we simply will never get 80m again imho. Its a very tough one to balance up but i suppose we are talking about making an almost 60m profit on 1 player and also having his best years. Best years that the individual has done his best to get suspended for over 30 games despite never getting a red card.

I thought the madness was over after Ivanovic, but i dont think the club can do much more than what they have done already. One more moment of madness we lose the player domestically for a massive, and i mean massive length of time, which would force us to lower our valuation by serious serious money.

Its hard to even write and contemplate losing a player of that calibre but life goes on, was around when Kenny left, when Rush left etc etc.

Hand on heart, i take the 80m and say good luck even if it means CL in the balance. I honestly wouldnt be surprised at this stage if he sunk the jaw into Pepe next season, im happy to let another club take that gamble and give us 80m for the 'privilege'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sure he has been mentioned over the last day or so but Wilfried Bony is a player I would love us to sign if Suarez is definitely going.
    Bony or Remy or both.

Both good players, but I would hope for just that bit more.

I feel like if these guys are the replacements we're looking at top 4 being a real struggle. Sanchez would fill me with much more hope, and has a bit more versatility too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Morzadec wrote: »
    Both good players, but I would hope for just that bit more.

I feel like if these guys are the replacements we're looking at top 4 being a real struggle. Sanchez would fill me with much more hope, and has a bit more versatility too.

Sturridge scored 20 goals last season but I'm still not sold on him fitness wise.

I really would like to get a another out and out striker not a wing/forward.

I know we have Lambert and Broini I just don't think either of them could cut it fulltime if Sturridge was injured long term. League, FA Cup, League Cup and CL maybe Europa Cup.

We could do with at very least another striker like Bony or Remy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sure he has been mentioned over the last day or so but Wilfried Bony is a player I would love us to sign if Suarez is definitely going.

He's essential to Swansea remaining in the PL. Minimum they'd want for him would be around the £25m range imo.
    Bony for that or Sanchez for the region of £35m. For me its Sanchez all day. Even factoring in higher wages. More pace than Bony and he offers greater flexibility on team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Bony or Remy or both.

I wanted Remy before there was any talk of Suarez going with the idea of him playing RWF or back up striker when needed. Lambert kinda ruined that one.

I think Bony would score a **** load of goals for us.

Sanchez and Bony would be sweet with money still left over for a CB and LB.

Cole would prob be my 1st choice right now, maybe Marcelo, and Alderwierld or Lovren for CB.

Would also be delighted if we sign the Balotelli lad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Hidalgo wrote: »
    He's essential to Swansea remaining in the PL. Minimum they'd want for him would be around the £25m range imo.
    Bony for that or Sanchez for the region of £35m. For me its Sanchez all day. Even factoring in higher wages. More pace than Bony and he offers greater flexibility on team selection.

I still think Liverpool need a good centre forward though. A focal point for the attack. Sturridge won't play 50 plus games next season. I'm sure Lambert can do a job for us but I would like someone to challenge Sturridge properly. I think Bony could do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I hope we can get Origi for next season rather than loan him back. Though he was superb against USA the other night. Looks a great prospect.

I've seen a number of journalists intimating that Angel Di Maria wants to leave Real Madrid.

If as looks likely Sanchez chooses not to come to Liverpool, then the club should do all they can to get Di Maria. In fact I'd go as far as to say Di Maria should be ahead of Sanchez in the pecking order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Something tells me that if this was Man Utd, FIFA and Barca would be less inclined to treat the club with such contempt.

Why do you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bullet64

i was around when owen fowler macmanaman left thought it was the end of the world but we just get up and get on take the money and run before he causes us more problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

bullet64 wrote: »
    i was around when owen fowler macmanaman left thought it was the end of the world but we just get up and get on take the money and run before he causes us more problems

Jaysus Bullet, you must be ancient!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Why do you think that?

Obviously because Man Utd have won so many Premierships and CLs in recent years and are a huge club in financial and marketing terms i.e. they have more clout with FIFA. Man Utd would be all over this like a rash but Liverpool seem to be just sitting back allowing everyone else to decide what to do with Suarez. I think FIFA and Barca are taking the piss completely and should be put in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Morzadec wrote: »
    That's class, I've been teaching English for the last few years, would've always have loved to get a footballer student, I'd say that class was some fun!

Any other insights into the game or about him as a player/person? Did you talk to him about any of his future teammates or give your opinion on them/Rodgers/the club? Any possibility of him asking you to continue teaching him in Liverpool?

The class was really fun and it was not the first footballer / sports star we have taught before. In Köln they have some of the upcoming Formula 1 drivers. Back in the UK whenever it was back in the day, Linker learnt Japanese from the company so there is some history there.

He was a nice chap, a good student, had loads of questions and asked about the Sun. He knew about Hillsborough but not sure who the Beatles were :P He had only met BR at the time but was happy to met him. His agent is the same as Yesil's. Had a few pictures of him in Melwood and at the 'This is Anfield' sign which were pretty cool. I told him not to lean against anything but he didn't get it :)

We did a lot of training language focused on the pitch and a lot of slang as well. His vocabulary is good as I said and a lot of German words are the same related to football when you translate them.

As I said before, he seems like a nice chap, a good student, a bit shy about speaking English but understands a lot. I have his email address but yous are not getting it :P (like it is even real!)

The class was really fun and it was not the first footballer / sports star we have taught before. In Köln they have some of the upcoming Formula 1 drivers. Back in the UK whenever it was back in the day, Linker learnt Japanese from the company so there is some history there.

He was a nice chap, a good student, had loads of questions and asked about the Sun. He knew about Hillsborough but not sure who the Beatles were :P He had only met BR at the time but was happy to met him. His agent is the same as Yesil's. Had a few pictures of him in Melwood and at the 'This is Anfield' sign which were pretty cool. I told him not to lean against anything but he didn't get it :)

We did a lot of training language focused on the pitch and a lot of slang as well. His vocabulary is good as I said and a lot of German words are the same related to football when you translate them.

As I said before, he seems like a nice chap, a good student, a bit shy about speaking English but understands a lot. I have his email address but yous are not getting it :P (like it is even real!)

I'll think you find that he did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bullet64

cheers mate 50 tomorrow been there done that got the tee shirts

• Advertisement

Obviously because Man Utd have won so many Premierships and CLs in recent years and are a huge club in financial and marketing terms i.e. they have more clout with FIFA. Man Utd would be all over this like a rash but Liverpool seem to be just sitting back allowing everyone else to decide what to do with Suarez. I think FIFA and Barca are taking the piss completely and should be put in their place.

Yes, ours is a bigger club and more successful. But to be fair I don't think it would make a difference. This is an example of modern player power. A top player like Suarez holds all the aces. Barca aren't d*cking Liverpool around. Suarez is.
    And FIFA are just a joke. Money is their master. That's all they care about.

bullet64 wrote: »
    cheers mate 50 tomorrow been there done that got the tee shirts

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Knex. wrote: »
    Did he teach ya any tricks? Yano, in return like?

Just about the hair and how to make it perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are we being linked to lovern at all, i really would love if we signed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are we being linked to lovern at all, i really would love if we signed him

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yes, ours is a bigger club and more successful. But to be fair I don't think it would make a difference. This is an example of modern player power. A top player like Suarez holds all the aces. Barca aren't d*cking Liverpool around. Suarez is.
    And FIFA are just a joke. Money is their master. That's all they care about.

Such a pleasure having a great lad like you around here.

5starpool wrote: »

Cheers, bud! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5starpool wrote: »

It's hardly like he said anything outrageous. Unless you disagree with what he's saying in which case I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

what did he say about me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ebbsy wrote: »
    Need to get rid of him quickly and for as much as possible. When the next incident happens whoever is holding his registration is shagged.

Should we not be buying a few defenders ?

We have a bid in for Chiellini apparently but this depends on a certain transfer out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

FIFA have backtracked - Suarez is now allowed to train with the team - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/luis-suarez-training-suspension-fifa?CMP=twt_gu

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

FIFA have backtracked - Suarez is now allowed to train with the team - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/luis-suarez-training-suspension-fifa?CMP=twt_gu

You couldn't make it up.

Adds a few more million to the price tag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You couldn't make it up.

At least Barcelona can't use it as an excuse to knock a few million off the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

You couldn't make it up.

I can see exactly whats happening here the ban will lifted. Rodgers massive troll face. Barca interest gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'm back biiiiiiitttttttchessssss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

You're three days late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You were gone?

Vicxas wrote: »
    You were gone?

And you are?

Did Barca get FIFA to lift your ban early :pac: (Thats if you had a ban and weren't on hoilday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mosstin wrote: »
    We have a bid in for Chiellini apparently but this depends on a certain transfer out.

No ITALIANS!

Vicxas wrote: »
    You were gone?

He had a few weeks behind bars for indecent public exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You're three days late.

That was because of the court case and CCTV footage of the GPO

I'm a marked man around here, I have to keep the head down and the clothes on.

How unfortunate to get a ban given the last 3/4 weeks. Unbelievable Jeff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

As soon as he signs for Barca, the domestic ban will be lifted!

• Advertisement

As soon as he signs for Barca, the domestic ban will be lifted!

Halved maybe. Lifted completely would be too obvious, even for FIFA......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I'm a marked man around here, I have to keep the head down and the clothes on.

How unfortunate to get a ban given the last 3/4 weeks. Unbelievable Jeff.

You and Agueroooo always seems to get the Bans around here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So as the transfer progresses FIFA have:
    - allowed a medical to happen
    - allowed him to train
    - the Prez praises Suarez for his apology
    - allowed Barca to mysteriously bypass their transfer ban

I would probably not be too far from the truth in speculation that there are some brown envelopes being pushed about the FIFA headquarters with a return address to Camp Nou.

FIFA have got the publicity that has taken the shine off the stuff happening outside the stadiums in Brazil, Qatar talk has kind of died down a bit, and Blatter being forced out.

The above is not being bitter about Suarez leaving, more to do so with corruption.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So as the transfer progresses FIFA have:
    - allowed a medical to happen
    - allowed him to train
    - the Prez praises Suarez for his apology
    - allowed Barca to mysteriously bypass their transfer ban

I would probably not be too far from the truth in speculation that there are some brown envelopes being pushed about the FIFA headquarters with a return address to Camp Nou.

FIFA have got the publicity that has taken the shine off the stuff happening outside the stadiums in Brazil, Qatar talk has kind of died down a bit, and Blatter being forced out.

The above is not being bitter about Suarez leaving, more to do so with corruption.

You sound like Jose :pac:

Maybe he was right all along.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The Echo claim that you've offered £20m for Lovren but Southampton are refusing to do business as they're holding out for a higher fee

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-offer-20m-lovren-7369316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Blatter wrote: »
    The Echo claim that you've offered £20m for Lovren but Southampton are refusing to do business as they're holding out for a higher fee

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-offer-20m-lovren-7369316

Too much. Again.

• Advertisement

Stupid money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Can see Lovren (why does everyone call him Lovern?) kicking up a fuss. Has shown in the past, even before his move to Southampton, that he wanted to play at Anfield.

Would love to see him sign but £20m would be the absolute limit I'd be willing to pay, wouldn't be particularly happy at anything over £15m.

I think he's a good player.

Spending good money on a good centre back certainly doesn't bother me. We badly need to sort out the defense and he'd be a good start.

And to agree with above me, £20m is probably max

Spending the guts of 50m on Lalana and Lovren is ****ing insane

I'd happily over pay by a couple of million here and there for a few good proven denfenders.

Than pay 8 or 9 million for hope they become great defenders.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement