Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

Danny welbeck models himself on wesley snipes in demolition man

Love the username.

Straight to the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The FA getting involved and banning him from domestic competition opens up a legal minefield.

Same FA the fought to get Rooneys ban over turned for kicking out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That Shaquiri hat-trick has p***ed me right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Shaquiri hat-trick has p***ed me right off!

Why? Nothing to say Liverpool aren't still interested in him as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wonder would Origi be sent out on loan for a year.

Suarez, sturridge, lambert , Borini there already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Can we sign the lad first before we start shipping him out on loan!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

It's seems Origi rated higher in Belgium football than Lukaku and Benteke at the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

mike65 wrote: »
    Why? Nothing to say Liverpool aren't still interested in him as far as I know.

Only coz I think the interest in him will be greater from other clubs

That's the deal if it happens - Lille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

shano_88 wrote: »

all credit to robbie fowler's goal scoring skills at lfc, but glass houses ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Squawka Scouting Report: Belgium and Lille’s Divock Origi – Is he good enough for SpursThe Worst Club In The World?

While all eyes were on Romelu Lukaku as the focal point of the Belgium attack at this summer’s World Cup, particularly following injury to Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke, it has proven to be another young striker that has stolen the headlines for the Red Devils in Brazil.

Devock Origi, linked with Tottenham in recent days, scored the winner against Russia and replaced Lukaku against Algeria to see himself propelled into the limelight. Having come from nowhere to make the squad, with an end of season flourish at Lille winning him a place in the side and nudging him ahead of Michy Batshuayi in the pecking order, Origi could well start his first World Cup game at the age of just 19 in Belgium’s final game.

Where Does He Play?

A central striker, Origi has played up front alongside former Chelsea man Saloman Kalou for Lille this season as part of a front pairing. Within that he has had both a tendency and license to drift into wide areas. For Marc Wilmots’ national side his role has been different, with the 19-year-old replacing Romelu Lukaku as lone frontman in both of Belgium’s World Cup group games.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

Physical, powerful and possessing a lethal finish, Origi has no obvious weaknesses bar his tender years. For Lille last season he hit 72% of his attempted shots on target, while he scored with 27.8% of his attempts.

2uHVjKa.png

He also possesses the strength and pace to trouble defences, completing a take-on every 54 minutes last season and attempting to go past his man four times during Belgium’s win over Russia, despite only coming on as a substitute midway through the second half.

Combining physical ability with a cool finishing head has made him one of the most promising young players in French football, although having had just one season in the side inexperience means that he still has a lot to prove. Of his 29 appearances last season, 18 were from the bench and he completed the full 90 minutes just once in Ligue Un.

Stand Out Stat:

Origi scored with 27.8% of his shots on goal for Lille last season.

3zzsXSy.png

Memorable Moment:

There’s only one moment that could possibly be picked in regards to a memorable Origi moment, and they don’t come much better than a late winner in your maiden World Cup. Replacing the disappointing Romelu Lukaku for the second game in a row, Origi struck an 88th minute winner to give Belgium the 1-0 win that secured safe passage to the next round.

WavyAgonizingJuliabutterfly.gif

While that goal was undoubtedly the standout moment, Origi is also unlikely to forget his Lille debut. Just six minutes after coming on as a sub last February, he struck his first Lille goal against Troyes, giving us two memorable moments, neatly bookending his career to date with his first game for Lille and most recent game for Belgium.

Cost:

Reports have suggested that Origi could be available for a fee of around £6 million; a bargain should he continue his astronomic ascent to the top of the game.

Final Verdict:

Despite his World Cup exploits, Origi would by no means be the finished article should he move to 'The Worst Club In The World' and would most likely start on the bench. Providing expectations were managed this could be no bad thing.

More comedy from the Metro (though I hope its true)
    Liverpool could still face a summer fight to keep hold of Luis Suarez despite his latest biting scandal, with Barcelona reportedly readying an £80m player-plus-cash deal for the controversial Uruguayan.

/snip

But despite his latest controversy, Barcelona maintain their interest in the Liverpool hitman and according to the Mirror, are prepared to offer money as well as Pedro and Alexis Sanchez to land their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

More comedy from the Metro (though I hope its true)
    But despite his latest controversy, Barcelona maintain their interest in the Liverpool hitman

Ah here, he's a hitman now too?

9acf32035791ad4868211b3c4dd2fa4a.png
    f56995fb7e4a53c7545db7b2bc250c7e.png

Long story short, we need to sign Victory Moses on a lifetime contract before Man U snap him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    9acf32035791ad4868211b3c4dd2fa4a.png
    f56995fb7e4a53c7545db7b2bc250c7e.png

Long story short, we need to sign Victory Moses on a lifetime contract before Man U snap him up.

What's this website called again? :p please tell me it's free...

MacBizzle wrote: »
    What's this website called again? :p please tell me it's free...

VictoryMosesForehead.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I will not be content until we buy a no nonsense complete ba$tard for the midfield.

Di Marzio just put up that Sunderland are offering 8m euro plus 2 for Borini with negotiations ongoing. Thats the jist anyway.

Edit....

Also says Shaquiri likes Milan and Rome but Liverpool favourites (paraphrasing).

daithijjj wrote: »
    I will not be content until we buy a no nonsense complete ba$tard for the midfield.

We need to sign Momo!!!

Who'd like some demarzio pan? Find your own translation, amazing how this story has popped up tonight ;)

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/news/shaqiri-ce-il-liverpool-accordo-ad-un-passo-le-ultime/

• Advertisement

Who'd like some demarzio pan? Find your own translation, amazing how this story has popped up tonight ;)

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/news/shaqiri-ce-il-liverpool-accordo-ad-un-passo-le-ultime/

"Italy, for now, will remain only a distant mirage. Xherdan Shaqiri pack your suitcase, the Premier League is in its future. The Swiss player now author of a hat-trick against Honduras,"

Google translate, eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we sold suarez and ended up with in the end sanchez, pedro and shaqiri would people be happy?

I would be ecstatic to be honest. Having 3 players with such vast cl experience would be invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

rob316 wrote: »
    If we sold suarez and ended up with in the end sanchez, pedro and shaqiri would people be happy?

I would be ecstatic to be honest. Having 3 players with such vast cl experience would be invaluable.

It would be exciting for sure but we'd still need another 2-3 players imo. I'd rather leave out Pedro myself.

Dunno what the situation with Moreno is...all gone quiet...but we need a LB/RB. Probably need to get in a CB as well if either Skrtel or Agger are sold.

Midfield is a bit confusing really. We have Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo and Can. Think we need another body in there myself...Lallana maybe? Yann M'Villa?!?

brevity wrote: »
    It would be exciting for sure but we'd still need another 2-3 players imo. I'd rather leave out Pedro myself.

Dunno what the situation with Moreno is...all gone quite...but we need a LB/RB. Probably need to get in a CB as well if either Skrtel or Agger are sold.

Midfield is a bit confusing really. We have Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo and Can. Think we need another body in there myself...Lallana maybe? Yann M'Villa?!?

I was just saying the forward options.

Defensive midfielder, centre back and two full backs are a must for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Italy, for now, will remain only a distant mirage. Xherdan Shaqiri pack your suitcase, the Premier League is in its future. The Swiss player now author of a hat-trick against Honduras,"

Google translate, eh? :pac:

That website has an English section.....

"Xherdan Shaqiri prepares to pack his bags, the Premier League appears to be in his future. The Swiss footballer, who scored three goals today in the World Cup, is liked by Milan and Roma, but Liverpool has the advantage over the other teams. Shaqiri’s brother, who is also his agent is currently in England to meet with Liverpool’s management and discuss the economic details of the contract. His departure from Bayern Munich is close, Shaqiri appears to be heading to the Premier League."

That website has an English section.....

"Xherdan Shaqiri prepares to pack his bags, the Premier League appears to be in his future. The Swiss footballer, who scored three goals today in the World Cup, is liked by Milan and Roma, but Liverpool has the advantage over the other teams. Shaqiri’s brother, who is also his agent is currently in England to meet with Liverpool’s management and discuss the economic details of the contract. His departure from Bayern Munich is close, Shaqiri appears to be heading to the Premier League."

Nearly seems as bad as a google translate job :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rob316 wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Suarez defence team submitted their case to FIFA. Claiming full innocence.
    Guessing Uruguay's plan is to try and stall any decision punishment whilst their still involved.

Its a strange defence to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

8-10 wrote: »
    No.

At this stage I don't know. 1 excellent player 1 very good player and Pedro (:-)) might be an advantage. Huge improvement in the squad and starting line up, considering we may be without Suarez for a big chunk of games.

But I would prefer to keep Luis if there were to be no ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

We really should move him on...
    And how exactly can we do that if he:-

a) isn't playing well enough for Napoli to keep him

and

b) has a few years left on his £100,000 a week contract?

Why would any club take him unless they can get him for wages which reflect his current level of performance e.g. £20,000 a week. If XYZ club will pay him £20,000 a week and perhaps are prepared to pay LFC a transfer fee of £2m LFC are looking at the following options assuming he has two years left on his contract:-

1 - Keep him as a back up to the Ming. Cost = £100,000 X 52 X 2 = £10.4m plus he gets a free transfer under the Bosman rule at the end + he may even have some "loyalty" bonus due to him if he sees out his contract.

2 - Let him go to XYZ club in which case we have to pay off the remainder of his contract i.e. £10.4m less the £2m transfer fee = £8.4m. At best we might be able to negotiate another £20,000 X 52 X 2 = £2.08m off the cost to terminate his contract in recognition of the fact he'll still be getting £20,000 a week at XYZ club but why would he move to play with a lower Premier League or Championship club or move his family abroad if he can sit on his arse and pick up £10.4m in Liverpool??

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5live wrote: »
    At this stage I don't know. 1 excellent player 1 very good player and Pedro (:-)) might be an advantage. Huge improvement in the squad and starting line up, considering we may be without Suarez for a big chunk of games.

But I would prefer to keep Luis if there were to be no ban.

If there's no domestic ban I'm sure barca and real will be right back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Its a strange defence to say the least.
    What defence of biting an opponent wouldn't be strange? It's actually defenceless so the best form of defence is attack i.e. circle the wagons and accuse all and sundry of having a bias against Suarez and Uruguay blah blah blah

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Chewbacca Defence might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The Chewbacca Defence might work

Because chewing tobacco makes you hungry?

Nah, don't think so.

5live wrote: »
    Because chewing tobacco makes you hungry?

Nah, don't think so.

No because Chewbacca lives on Endor, which does not make sense, why would an 8 foot wookie live on a planet with 2 foot ewoks. It does not make sense. Now, me talking about Chewbacca makes no sense, it has nothing to do with the case, none of it makes sense. If Chiellini wasn't bit, they must acquit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Just our luck that Sahcnez and Shaqiri are both having good tournaments, pushing the price up no doubt!

Uruguays defense of the whole incident is a bit ridiculous but as someone said it's probably in hope that it'll delay any ban even for a game.

I'd imagine though it'll be an immediate ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely by Suarez and his team denying that he did anything when everyone knows that he did is going to lead to a stronger punishment.

Different approach by Uruguayans to how Liverpool handled it.

They seemingly have video from angles not shown on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hopefully it's akin to the goal line technology where they show FIFA the replay only once, it pauses at the incident and zooms in making it look like a cartoon, and then dramatically reveal "BITE" or "NO BITE" in big letters at the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Uruguay's case is a bit like the Simpsons episode where Castro takes Mr Burns' trillion dollar bill and then goes "what trillion dollar bill?"

The video evidence is damning, how they can try and defend it is laughable.
    Plead insanity is probably the best course of action.

In all seriousness though the FA came down on him the last time in there report because he didn't realise the seriousness of the matter. If he is flat out showing no remorse, FIFA will come down even harder on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Suarez and Uruguay are actually going for the whole innocent angle?

Christ.

Wheel out Lionel Hutz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's hardly rocket science

Plead guilty = miss the world cup
    Plead not guily = Gives him a chance he plays in the world cup, a very very small one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Plead not guily = Gives him a chance he plays in the world cup, a very very small one though

Its too damn early for rational thoughts...

But that does make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Shoulder-Cam :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Knex. wrote: »

Christ.

Wheel out Lionel Hutz!

Never mind Lionel Hutz!
    A case this complicated surely means that they's better call Saul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its all a circus really, theres lads in the England rugby team who have done as much, if not worse, than Suarez. Im totally fine with the player staying or leaving, just dont subscribe to the drama in the GB & I bubble. Inherently racist and xenophobic organisations preaching about morality, the kingpin of which swelling his wealth from the hacking of a dead girl's phone...........

Superb times to be human.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Knex. wrote: »

Christ.

Wheel out Lionel Hutz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

In fairness can anyone really blame Uruguay? They're useless without Suarez

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement