Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

8-10 wrote: »
    In the EPL he scored 65 for Liverpool, he scored 81 in all comps so it's the figure for all competitions that the chart is using. If they want to compare like with like it has to be the figure in all comps on the chelsea side too.

I cant see the chart in work :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

I was genuinely worried of a Suarez decline over the next year or two and that was him staying at Liverpool.
    If/When he goes to Barca I reckon it will it be a bad move for his football career but a good move for his pocket.
    Suarez has always had a team play in and around him, will this happen at Barca with Messi being the main man?
    It's fair enough to say other players he's played with, even in his time with Liverpool have had similar/bigger egos than him but he was the one who shone every time.

I say take the 70-80 million being offered for a banned nearly 28 year old striker (A few weeks away from 28 when the ban is lifted) and replace him with young and old.
    Rodgers knows what he is doing and he wouldn't sell him if he had no ideas.
    Suarez or no Suarez, still a very exciting season just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

gafferino wrote: »
    People going mental about 20m for Lovren....this is what is being reported in the press.
    Hasnt it emerged that the fee for Lallana is 18m rising to 20 something if milestones are met?

In the Case of Lovren, its not about the Money per se. It's about, not doing your Homework.

He was Available last year, and we could have had him for Cheap. So buying him now, just P1sses me. And from what I can remember, he just Cost the Saints just a little over Aspas back then.

Like the Others have said, this Stinks of Laziness. It's like, we don't have any worthwhile Scouts, and/or our Transfer Committee is just that Incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I cant see the chart in work :P

Imagine information that everybody was already aware off, then imagine that information exaggerated to strengthen an argument and presented in graph form. That's what you're missing out on

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Sky Sports News understands the Suarez deal will be done by Sunday

I can't see it happening to be honest unless Barca hand over a massive wedge of cash

If it does go through like that then it would be fair to assume that Sanchez is not a part of it

Which makes me a Sad Panda

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Good to know I'm seemingly the only one here still dead against signing Huntelaar, two to three years after his stock was at it's highest on this thread. Not that I think there is anything to his comments in BILD it all, merely fishing for a new contract is all. That so and so club won't be selling the only player who is capable of scoring regularly for them.
    Barrett -"Rodgers is determined to replace #Suarez with a player of similar standing should the Uruguay striker depart as expected."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think there is anyone here who wants Huntelaar now. Two years ago, I'd have gladly taken him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Good to know I'm seemingly the only one here still dead against signing Huntelaar, two to three years after his stock was at it's highest on this thread. Not that I think there is anything to his comments in BILD it all, merely fishing for a new contract is all. That so and so club won't be selling the only player who is capable of scoring regularly for them.

I'm also against the Signing of Huntelaar. Lambert will offer us the same thing, that he does.

So buying him, is just Excessively Redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Imagine information that everybody was already aware off, then imagine that information exaggerated to strengthen an argument and presented in graph form. That's what you're missing out on

:pac: Let's forget the chart anyway, the overall argument is valid. I was just being pedantic; work in analytics and see a lot of really bad charts put together so it's a bit of a pet peeve! This one just seems lazy, there's only a few data points on it so no excuse to get it right, if it's taken at a point of time then it should be stated.

/nerd

;)

In my view Suarez will be around the same mark as with Liverpool with Barca. He'll be in a team creating more chances, but he'll be in a team where the goals will be more distributed also, so I reckon goals per game won't be significantly higher or lower after the move.

I miss his Ajax days with 50 goals in 49 games. Watched every single one of them live and he was incredible. Will be interesting seeing him in a team where he's not the complete focal point of attacking moves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Not convinced about Lovren at all.
    Was watching Croatia play Cameroon in the group stages and he looked very slow off the mark - was properly 'done' on 2 occassions, from a standing start, one on one in the box with a drop of the shoulder/shimmy from the forward (forget who he was). The forward just breezed by him and he was left to lunge in, to try and block the cross.
    He just looked like Skrtel with hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

jonny24ie wrote: »
    IF Barca dont meet the valuation then they should get bent.

darren_bent_1388103c.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think there is anyone here who wants Huntelaar now. Two years ago, I'd have gladly taken him.

I do. I really do. He's CL quality and we need numbers. Not every player we buy can be 20 year old wonderkids for £20m. If he's available for good money (and he only has a year left), we would be mad not to buy him.

Big big fan of his. Scores goals full stop, very mobile for a big man, and have been waiting a long long time to see him in the EPL

8-10 wrote: »
    I do. I really do. He's CL quality and we need numbers. Not every player we buy can be 20 year old wonderkids for £20m. If he's available for good money (and he only has a year left), we would be mad not to buy him.

Big big fan of his. Scores goals full stop, very mobile for a big man, and have been waiting a long long time to see him in the EPL

Huntelaar would be a good signing for the short term but we can't leave it there.

Am I the only one who would be delighted if we signed Balotelli?

Find he get's a hard time for being different and not really caring what people think of him, he's an outstanding talent on the pitch however.

In the Case of Lovren, its not about the Money per se. It's about, not doing your Homework.

He was Available last year, and we could have had him for Cheap. So buying him now, just P1sses me. And from what I can remember, he just Cost the Saints just a little over Aspas back then.

Like the Others have said, this Stinks of Laziness. It's like, we don't have any worthwhile Scouts, and/or our Transfer Committee is just that Incompetent.

To be fair, he was coming off a few seasons where there was serious question marks about his fitness which was my main concern when discussing him in the past and the main reason why no one signed him before Southampton did. That and his loss of form (and place in Lyon's starting XI) a couple of seasons ago in comparison to what he showed against us at Anfield was another knock against him All well and good him always being talented, but Southampton took a risk and it's paid dividends.

As I eluded to above and can be seen below, looking at his seasons played vs games played ratio, it's not the best.

35f5b0b26b32c3f7627fd5b4f4ee5603.png

I'll be pleased if we sign him even if the price will irk me, but when you factor in that he's fluent in French and that Sakho on him SHOULD make for an excellent partnership, but as of right now, I'm fully on Manolas train. A player who has shined in every game that I've seen of him and is an all round excellent defender, and will cost half of what Lovern will more than likely go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Sky Sports News understands

That's an oxymoron

• Advertisement

I'm also against the Signing of Huntelaar. Lambert will offer us the same thing, that he does.

Yup, though I'd say Lambert will offer us more to the team overall as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Huntelaar would be a good signing for the short term but we can't leave it there.

Am I the only one who would be delighted if we signed Balotelli?

Find he get's a hard time for being different and not really caring what people think of him, he's an outstanding talent on the pitch however.

I said as much in the WC thread, I think Super Mario would be worth a risk, BR could reall yget the best out of him, and I think his antics at ManCity are behind him now. My only concern about him though is that if he's not involved directly he can be very lazy and I'd be concerned about his ability/desire to track back and help out midfield/defence.

I'd like to see him get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Any chance that chart could be 3 years old?

Yup......... dam twitter!!!

and I thought twitter only produced up to date & accurate information.... :D

ratracer wrote: »
    I said as much in the WC thread, I think Super Mario would be worth a risk, BR could reall yget the best out of him, and I think his antics at ManCity are behind him now. My only concern about him though is that if he's not involved directly he can be very lazy and I'd be concerned about his ability/desire to track back and help out midfield/defence.

I'd like to see him get a chance.

That in my eyes is a minor worry.
    I think Balotelli and Sturridge up front would work quite well.
    Yes both are greedy, but both are goalscorers.
    You can afford to have greedy strikers when you create so many chances and play such attacking football.

The more I think about it and the more talk that goes on about makes me think this Suarez transfer maybe a good thing for Liverpool.
    For example look at Atletico and Falcao, people hoenstly feared for them but they improved so much without their talisman.
    We don't know whats gone on behind closed doors since Suarez has joined.
    In my opinion and I've said this since the Ivanovic bite, we don't know what he is doing to the morale of the club.
    Anyone remember him coming back form his ban and for the 1st few games when he scored he was celebrating on his own?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Excessively redundant Sounds sexy.

"Mr. Smith you are fired your Position is excessively redundant"

"Ah fudgesticks, Best go home and Tell the wife and 10 Kids...but erm, Boss....can you say it again. Slower this time. In a French Accent?"

"Le je suis en avec du excessively redudants min Petit foulie"

"yesss...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Augmerson wrote: »
    Excessively redundant Sounds sexy.

"Mr. Smith you are fired your Position is excessively redundant"

"Ah fudgesticks, Best go home and Tell the wife and 10 Kids...but erm, Boss....can you say it again. Slower this time. In a French Accent?"

"Le je suis en avec du excessively redudants min Petit foulie"

"yesss...."

Do it slowly boss, do it doucemo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cjs21 wrote: »
    That in my eyes is a minor worry.
    I think Balotelli and Sturridge up front would work quite well.
    Yes both are greedy, but both are goalscorers.
    You can afford to have greedy strikers when you create so many chances and play such attacking football.

The more I think about it and the more talk that goes on about makes me think this Suarez transfer maybe a good thing for Liverpool.
    For example look at Atletico and Falcao, people hoenstly feard for them but they improved so much without their talisman.
    We don't know whats gone on behind closed doors since Suarez has joined.
    In my opinion and I've said this since the Ivanovic bite, we don't know what he is doing to the morale of the club.
    Anyone remember him coming back form his ban and for the 1st few games when he scored he was celebrating on his own?

The sad thing is i'm coming around to it now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd take him. He's only 30, so he has 3/4 years in him. Lambert is very much a squad option, a more up-and-at-em change when we need something.
    KJH would be a starting player and WOULD get plenty of goals - he's proven that. And he's far from finished.

But i'd still prefer Sanchez, or Falcao, or Muller...

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Do it slowly boss, do it doucemo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Dickerty wrote: »
    I'd take him. He's only 30, so he has 3/4 years in him. Lambert is very much a squad option, a more up-and-at-em change when we need something.
    KJH would be a starting player and WOULD get plenty of goals - he's proven that. And he's far from finished.

But i'd still prefer Sanchez, or Falcao, or Muller...

Huntelaar AND Sanchez

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Huntelaar AND Sanchez

.....Yeh, ok. Go on so.

Would mean possibly losing Borini I think, we can't have one of the 5 missing out on the Matchday 18...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Vicxas wrote: »
    The sad thing is i'm coming around to it now. :(

You've arrived Vicxas, welcome!

Typically, the seven stages of grief are described as:
    - Shock or Disbelief
    - Denial
    - Anger
    - Bargaining
    - Guilt
    - Depression
    - Acceptance and Hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

As talented as he is (when he wants to be) I'd really prefer not to see Balotelli in a Liverpool shirt. He'd have the unpredictability of Suarez without any of the work rate...

J.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You've arrived Vicxas, welcome!

Typically, the seven stages of grief are described as:
    - Shock or Disbelief
    - Denial
    - Anger
    - Bargaining
    - Guilt
    - Depression
    - Acceptance and Hope
    -Buy Alexis Sanchez

• Advertisement

Ballotelli is like an anti Suarez. You couldn't rely on him.

He isn't a Rodgers player, doesn't work hard enough. No chance it'd happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

punk_one82 wrote: »
    -Buy Alexis Sanchez

Yes Yes Yes to that !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

rarnes1 wrote: »

My worry is that he is a bit 'moneyball', undervalued for various factors (like the fact that he's mental), which might attract the transfer committee.

Under the right circumstances and with the right application, he could be one of the most effective players in Europe. Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

My worry is that he is a bit 'moneyball', undervalued for various factors (like the fact that he's mental), which might attract the transfer committee.

Under the right circumstances and with the right application, he could be one of the most effective players in Europe. Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen for him.

If they buy him and 'The Rodgers' doesn't like it he'll just leave him out of the squad.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Agreed. Ridiculous talent but wouldn't fit in and I don't think he scores enough goals compared to what he's capable of. I honestly think Huntelaar next season would score more goals than Balotelli

I just went to the Arsenal forum to see their thoughts on the Sanchez thing, and got into a back and forth about whether they were entitled to lord it over us. The sense of entitlement was scary.

I'll never get those 15 mins back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I just went to the Arsenal forum to see their thoughts on the Sanchez thing, and got into a back and forth about whether they were entitled to lord it over us. The sense of entitlement was scary.

Without reading it, yeah, don't see why they shouldn't.

We take the piss out of them, they take the piss out of us. S'all in the game, yo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have they started an online petition yet?

I dont think you'll get much sympathy from Gunners. Probably still pissed off about Suarez this time last year.

• Advertisement

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Vicxas wrote: »
    If a player hands in a transfer request, do the club have to review them or can they still flat out reject them?

All it means is that the money paid by the buying club is effectively worth more because the selling club doesn't have to pay the player off to encourage them to break their contract.

Or even if we hadn't signed Lambert.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Great bunch of lads.

Just to clarify, this applies to the regular posters in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Just to clarify, this applies to the regular posters in this thread.

I'm confused i thought they were all saps and worst fans in the world?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Great bunch of lads.
    +£1:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I dont think you'll get much sympathy from Gunners. Probably still pissed off about Suarez this time last year.

TBH I'm relieved we didn't sign him because we would be going through what you guys are now. I feckin especially hate the way Barca go about their business with all the comments about how great a player is etc. Surprised they haven't used the old "DNA" nugget with him.

I hope you take them for as much as you can. I also reckon the second he signs for them the 4 month ban will be reduced as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Wouldn't be too crazy about Balotelli myself, there seemed to be a great team spirit last year, a real sense of a 'happy dressing room', can't see Ballotelli fitting in too well.

Can we just stop with the Balotelli talk now, please? He's a talented footballer yes, but he doesn't work hard for the team and he is an absolute ****ing lunatic. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sanchez any day of the week over Balotelli. One thing the Kop will not forgive is not trying, hell it's why Cissokho was a bit of a cult hero!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

gandalf wrote: »

I hope you take them for as much as you can. I also reckon the second he signs for them the 4 month ban will be reduced as well.

Yeah, no doubt that'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah, no doubt that'll happen.

If Liverpool are clever they should insert a clause in the sale contract that if the ban is rescinded or reduced that an additional €10 million is due to them. At least make it cost Barca more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement