Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

If Suarez' ban gets reduced when he joins Barca I think I'll actually hate them more than I hate United. I already prefer Chelsea over them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

No matter if he is a bit unstable at times, would much prefer Balotelli signing over the likes of Huntelaar and Higuain. Alot better attributes in his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

K-9 wrote: »
    Sanchez any day of the week over Balotelli. One thing the Kop will not forgive is not trying, hell it's why Cissokho was a bit of a cult hero!

Are you talking Momo or Aly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Are you talking Momo or Aly?

Sakho

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If they buy him and 'The Rodgers' doesn't like it he'll just leave him out of the squad.

That doesn't make any sense though.

I would imagine the man who picks the team has a big say with the committee. Otherwise it's money wasted.

The committee is very much hit and miss so far tbh.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    No matter if he is a bit unstable at times, would much prefer Balotelli signing over the likes of Huntelaar and Higuain. Alot better attributes in his game

I'd take Huntelaar if it came to a choice of the 3.

I'd hope we have our sights on better than all 3 tbh

rarnes1 wrote: »

I would imagine the man who picks the team has a big say with the committee. Otherwise it's money wasted.

4/5 hits from 20 roughly players is a big miss I think.

Sakho, Coutinho, Sturridge, Mignolet and I guess you can add Allen as well from players brought in since Ridgers joined could be deemed some sort of sucess.

The rest look like failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

July the 4th must be the new April the 1st ?

£20 million for Lovren ? I give up.

I thought he was usess during the World Cup. All arms. No thanks.

Jesus this transfer window is making me lose my will to live.

We go to Southampton and spend £50 million yet don't manage to come away with Luke Shaw.

I would accept an 8 week coma right now to not go through the rest of this window.

Can we not get an Italian centre back for £20 million ?

I hate feeling mugged. Do other fans feel like this when they are buying players or is it just us who pay over the odds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

tomaussie wrote: »

Can we not get an Italian centre back for £20 million ?

I can see you've put a lot of thought and research into this.

We should buy Italian centre back, Spanish midfielder and South American forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Sakho, Coutinho, Sturridge, Mignolet and I guess you can add Allen as well from players brought in since Ridgers joined could be deemed some sort of sucess.

A bit unfair, 3 have yet to play for us (Can, Lallana, Lambert). A few more like Borini still have the jury out or are young enough to still make it. Toure did OK for a free and a few will move on for decent enough money without having much impact either way.

And then there's Moses.......

So signed 19, 5-7 look alright 3 are still to be seen and maybe 5-6 were punts at relatively low cost.

Not bad for starting out in moneyball

And then there's Moses........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Huntelaar would be a good signing for the short term but we can't leave it there.

Am I the only one who would be delighted if we signed Balotelli?

Find he get's a hard time for being different and not really caring what people think of him, he's an outstanding talent on the pitch however.

Ask Mancini what he thinks of Balotelli. Gave him plenty of support and got f*ck all thanks for it, I think he would annoy the hell out off me in a red shirt. Suarez does some silly stuff but at least he is always trying to win the match, you cant say the same for childish/boorish Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

To be fair those were the only players who looked like they wouldn't be failures, I've a feeling the likes of Assaidi were only bought in hope that they'd end up being decent as opposed to being confident that they'd be successful.

lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1 <---- The only failures I see there are Cissokho, Moses, Toure, Aspas and Assaidi, the sum total that they cost us was 10m. Not too bad if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Im a really big fan of Schneiderlin. What's the deal with no-one trying to sign him. He would be cheap...ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Having a say in the players you buy and still buying ones you won't play makes less sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

IK09 wrote: »
    Im a really big fan of Schneiderlin. What's the deal with no-one trying to sign him. He would be cheap...ish.

Arsenal are allegedly.

Having a say in the players you buy and still buying ones you won't play makes less sense.

Without a doubt.

Why would he do that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SSN Running with 18M..

Still quite high IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I can see you've put a lot of thought and research into this.

We should buy Italian centre back, Spanish midfielder and South American forward

Yeah. I was being dead serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Vicxas wrote: »
    SSN Running with 18M..

Still quite high IMO.

Once again the figure being thrown about by the press is probably the max it can rise to with add-ons. I'd say the actual amount is quite a few million lower than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Vicxas wrote: »
    SSN Running with 18M..

Still quite high IMO.

For Lovren?

Rodgers is going to have some job integrating all these new players next season. Reckon there will be 7 possibly 8 new players by the end of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The first thing clubs do is ring SSN so Jim White can tell us exactly how much the player is being sold for.

You never hear the exact figures and by the time the books are published in a year or two no-one cares anymore.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The first thing clubs do is ring SSN so Jim White can tell us exactly how much the player is being sold for.

You never hear the exact figures and by the time the books are published in a year or two no-one cares anymore.

Sky Sources understands = That morning's papers.

Without a doubt.

Why would he do that though?

But who bought the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For Lovren?

Indeed, forgive my vagueness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

I'd take Huntelaar if it came to a choice of the 3.

I'd hope we have our sights on better than all 3 tbh

Out of interest, what players could they (semi-realistically) sign that would be better than those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sky sports reveal that barca are prepared to meet the release clause but the deal hinders on the payment structure.

If I was John Henry tell then to pay the full wack up front or get lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I have to say, i love Mario Ballotelli, just as long as he's playing for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

For me we got to move for Bony.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

He's not good enough for a top 4 team and that's where Liverpool need to be shopping now. He's a mid table striker.

• Advertisement

He's not good enough for a top 4 team and that's where Liverpool need to be shopping now. He's a mid table striker.

Who scored 25 goals for a relegation threatened Swansea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have to say, i love Mario Ballotelli, just as long as he's playing for someone else.

As an Arsenal fan I would love if Liverpool signed him and we got Sanchez.
    Great to see his madness every week for someone else as you say :)

Fescue wrote: »
    Who scored 25 goals for a relegation threatened Swansea.

He also took all their penalties. And there is a big difference being the only striker, the main man for a struggling team and putting it in at the highest level. How many teams parked the bus against Swansea? It's not like he has to unlock a defence.

He's a decent player. But he isn't good enough. I would aim higher.

He also took all their penalties. And there is a big difference being the only striker, the main man for a struggling team and putting it in at the highest level. How many teams parked the bus against Swansea? It's not like he has to unlock a defence.

He's a decent player. But he isn't good enough. I would aim higher.

He scored 4 penalties. 4 headers also. If you can score 25 goals for Swansea, I reckon you could do the same for a better team.

Fescue wrote: »
    He scored 4 penalties. 4 headers also. If you can score 25 goals for Swansea, I reckon you could do the same for a better team.

Bony scored 16 goals in his first season, 4 of them penalties. Benteke scored 19 goals in a good first season for Villa, a much weaker team. Would you have him too? He struggled the season after and there were calls from Villa fans to drop his lazy arse before and after his injury.

If Bony scores another 16 goals for Swansea this season, I might change my view. But one good season at a lower level does not prove enough to me. And leaving the stats aside and just examining the player and his attributes, I just don't think he would fit in at Liverpool at all. He's not quick and his touch isn't great. Don't you remember Andy Carroll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

All this Bony talk, you know Swansea are saying they won't leave him go for less than £45million?

He's not worth half the amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Michu

12/13: 18 goals in 35 games
    13/14: 2 goals in 17 games

Benteke scored 19 goals in a good first season for Villa, a much weaker team. Would you have him too? He struggled the season after and there were calls from Villa fans to drop his lazy arse before and after his injury.

If Bony scores another 25 goals for Swansea this season, I might change my view. But one good season at a lower level does not prove enough to me. And leaving the stats aside and just examining the player and his attributes, I just don't think he would fit in at Liverpool at all. She's not quick and his touch isn't great. Don't you remember Andy Carroll?

25 of those touches ended up in the back of the net. That's all I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rman2727

What about putting a cheeky bid in for Diego Godin??, was pretty solid for Athletico last season and would probably cost less than Lovren.

But who bought the players?

Jaysus, maybe it's me but I'm a bit lost here Turdy,been a long week!

• Advertisement

Michu

12/13: 18 goals in 35 games
    13/14: 2 goals in 17 games

Wasn't Michu injured for most of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

id have bony as backup only. but we already have lambert and aspas to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Bony scored 16 goals in his first season, 4 of them penalties. Benteke scored 19 goals in a good first season for Villa, a much weaker team. Would you have him too? He struggled the season after and there were calls from Villa fans to drop his lazy arse before and after his injury.

If Bony scores another 16 goals for Swansea this season, I might change my view. But one good season at a lower level does not prove enough to me. And leaving the stats aside and just examining the player and his attributes, I just don't think he would fit in at Liverpool at all. He's not quick and his touch isn't great. Don't you remember Andy Carroll?
    Ah here now!

You've jumped the shark there, baby.

Quoting villa fans, the same fans on here looking for their team to lose a game so Liverpool wouldn't win the title, as a source of knowledge about football is negating any argument you have.

Jaysus, maybe it's me but I'm a bit lost here Turdy,been a long week!

I said he just wouldn't play Balotelli if he was bought and 'The Rodgers' disagreed with it.

You said that wouldn't make any sense, and reckoned he had a large say on the committee.

I said if that's the case it makes even less sense the he would bring in players and deliberately not play them

You asked why would he do that.

He has obviously done it (Assaidi/Alberto/Aspas) so either someone else brought the players in or he just does stuff that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are very lucky, in that, aside from Suarez, we have one of the top European strikers of the last 2 seasons in Sturridge.

If he didn't play for us and had scored the goals he had for someone else, we'd be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

Sturridge scored goals at a better rate than Diego Costa for each of the last 2 seasons. And, aside from 10 games when Suarez was out, he hasn't been our main man.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5live wrote: »
    Ah here now!

Quoting villa fans, the same fans on here looking for their team to lose a game so Liverpool wouldn't win the title, as a source of knowledge about football is negating any argument you have.

You think that's bad, wasn't there an Arsenal fan posting here saying that he wanted Spurs to beat us during the run in to prevent us from winning the league, even if it meant Spurs potentially pipping them to Top 4 as a result? Top 4 was a 3 fight between them two and Everton at the time. Or it might have been rather Spurs winning a league title before us. Something along those lines anyway.

Good times.

We are very lucky, in that, aside from Suarez, we have one of the top European strikers of the last 2 seasons in Sturridge.

If he didn't play for us and had scored the goals he had for someone else, we'd be creaming ourselves at the thought of signing him.

Sturridge scored goals at a better rate than Diego Costa for each of the last 2 seasons. And, aside from 10 games when Suarez was out, he hasn't been our main man.

Sturridge is great but I think he's going to miss quite a few games every season due to the muscle strains he tends to pick up. I love Lambert as a 3rd choice striker but don't want to rely on him as first choice for an extended period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Origi has signed according to The Anfield Wrap.

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/485106833359912960

Sergi Canós Tenés
    @sergicanos
    Very happy to sign my first professional contract with Liverpool Football Club. One of my best days!⚽️ #LFC #YNWA 🔴🔴

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Ah here now!

I think my argument speaks for itself. But hey, if you think Bony is good enough for Liverpool, I hope you enjoy the champions league this year because if you sell Suarez and sign Bony, you wont see it again for a while. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement