Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5live wrote: »
    In fairness, he had Ashley Cole and Azpuilacuettasgvgjjgggfff in front of him, both starters for their countries while ahead of him.

I admit i wasn't overly impressed with him in the Villa game but he should improve under Rodgers

He also started in a champions league final but so did Djimi traore so doesn't count for much.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In fairness, he had Ashley Cole and Azpuilacuettasgvgjjgggfff in front of him, both starters for their countries while ahead of him.

I admit i wasn't overly impressed with him in the Villa game but he should improve under Rodgers

Enrique has his faults for sure, but I'd prefer him to Bertrand. If we are getting in a left back it should be an undisputed upgrade for first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If we're working with 150m quid this summer we should be able to do a lot better than Ryan ****ing Bertrand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

5starpool wrote: »
    Enrique has his faults for sure, but I'd prefer him to Bertrand. If we are getting in a left back it should be an undisputed upgrade for first choice.

Reckon Liverpool will bring in both Bertrand and Moreno to be honest.

Johnson and Flanagan to rotate for the RB slot IMO

Also believe Liverpool will get around ~£60M for Suarez but Sanchez will come in on top of that too.

Markovic should be in the pipeline too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

No one's going to like this but...

I think Fellaini is worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rob316 wrote: »
    He also started in a champions league final but so did Djimi traore so doesn't count for much.
    Don't blame it on the sunshine,
    Don't blame it on the moonlight,
    Don't blame it on the good times,
    Blame it on Traore.
    He just can't,
    He just can't,
    He just can't control his feet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Of a rifle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

lol gud 1 m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

rofl.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Gbear wrote: »
    If we're working with 150m quid this summer we should be able to do a lot better than Ryan ****ing Bertrand.

Aye, but the window is only open for 4 days so far.

There is almost 2 months to go before it closes so i don't think i will get upset by tabloid speculation just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Hot fail....apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Of an AK47?

Edit; as the Mig said.

vzpZeFt.gif

slingerz wrote: »
    Reckon Liverpool will bring in both Bertrand and Moreno to be honest.

Johnson and Flanagan to rotate for the RB slot IMO

Also believe Liverpool will get around ~£60M for Suarez but Sanchez will come in on top of that too.

Markovic should be in the pipeline too

No chance we get £60m + Sanchez. IF Sanchez does come as part of this deal (which I'd be surprised with) we will get about £45m tops with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hows Tony Evans for credibility?

Iirc I remember him saying Rodgers never wanted Sturridge. Disclaimer, I might have dreamt that
    Sturridge might have been a committee signing but I don't believe for a minute that Rodgers didn't want him. Sturridge said Rodgers was always behind him and that they had known each other from when Sturridge was a boy.

If Rodgers doesn't want a player, he will freeze them out immediately. We saw that with Assaidi and the likes of Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hand played too early.

Sturridge might have been a committee signing but I don't believe for a minute that Rodgers didn't want him. Sturridge said Rodgers was always behind him and that they had known each other from when Sturridge was a boy.

If Rodgers doesn't want a player, he will freeze them out immediately. We saw that with Assaidi and the likes of Carroll.

I agree. That's why I questioned the journos credability

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Barcelona agree to pay release clause of around £75m but #sanchez reluctant to leave despite talks with #lfc +Arsenal #suarez (The Echo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That figure is more acceptable, but we should still be getting more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Isn't Rodgers fluent in Spanish and has worked in Spain quite a bit before coming back to England. Hopefully he gets to meet Sanchez and convince him Liverpool are a club going places.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The Echo

That's more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

James Rodriguez. Spunk it all on him.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I can't see us getting any more than 80. That's a colossal amount of money for a player at his age with such a risk involved.

He's brilliant and we hold all the cards, so we can ask for as much as we want, but we've not right to expect a world record bid with quite a few marks in the negative column.

Buy that ref

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

I know there's a lot of talk about Sanchez which I totally agree with, especially his will to win but what about colombia Rodriquez. I know he'd be huge fee but think he'd fit in so easily and being so young could use Suarez money to buy

How we managed to get him for £22.8m in the first place still baffles me.. He scored what, 50 goals in the Eredivisie the season before we bought him? Along with being one of the best players in the 2010 World Cup? That was some piece of business tbf.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Buy that ref

We're short on thugs to get value out of him.

Sign Joey Barton and Nigel De Jong to make full use of his creative use of the notebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't see us getting any more than 80. That's a colossal amount of money for a player at his age with such a risk involved.

He's brilliant and we hold all the cards, so we can ask for as much as we want, but we've not right to expect a world record bid with quite a few marks in the negative column.

Not to mention the few marks in flesh.

CATwalk wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of talk about Sanchez which I totally agree with, especially his will to win but what about colombia Rodriquez. I know he'd be huge fee but think he'd fit in so easily and being so young could use Suarez money to buy

Madrid are in for him, not a chance we'll get him.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside Griezmann and Sanchez, who're the realistic alternatives for players who can get goals?

I can get on the Rodriguez bandwagon but he's not coming here, and it'd shove Sterling out wide and Coutinho on to the bench.

We're better off buying the big name as the tip of the spear than the haft (although I wouldn't say no to Steven Gerrard Mk.2 - whoever that happens to be).

As much chance of me signing for Liverpool as James Rodriguez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

El Shaarawy would be a great signing. Had injury problems last season but a superb talent.

MD1990 wrote: »
    El Shaarawy would be a great signing. Had injury problems last season but a superb talent.

I'd feel like that would be a speculative sort of buy - not something to stake the season on or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You would be unhappy with £75 million based on what? Gareth Bale costing more or what logic exactly?

Bale signed for Real a few months short of his 24th birthday. Ronaldo had just turned 24 when he signed for them.

Suarez is getting closer to 28. He has, to be kind, disciplinary issues. To be unkind, he has a propensity to be randomly lunatic.

If Bale and Ronaldo end up costing more it's because a) they were younger at time of sale b) had more peak years ahead of them and c) didn't display a tendency to inexplicably act like a wild animal.

Imo people sniffing at £75m need their heads checked. Suarez probably has (max) 6 peak years ahead of him bringing him up to 33. That's if he manages to sort out his issues, adapt to Spanish football and stay injury-free. At Ajax and Liverpool, Suarez has been the main man. A lot of the play goes through or to him. At Barca he'll face a situation where a lot of the play will go through Messi and Neymar. He might (genuinely) have to play 2nd fiddle to the above named and may struggle in his first season to justify that price tag.

To get £75m for a player of his age and overall profile is perfectly fair. To argue it undervalues him is ridiculous in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

How we managed to get him for £22.8m in the first place still baffles me.. He scored what, 50 goals in the Eredivisie the season before we bought him? Along with being one of the best players in the 2010 World Cup? That was some piece of business tbf.

Ah... I think part of it was due to a bite. That Suarez is quite consistent. :P

• Advertisement

Leaving aside Griezmann and Sanchez, who're the realistic alternatives for players who can get goals?

I can get on the Rodriguez bandwagon but he's not coming here, and it'd shove Sterling out wide and Coutinho on to the bench.

We're better off buying the big name as the tip of the spear than the haft (although I wouldn't say no to Steven Gerrard Mk.2 - whoever that happens to be).

I'll just go through a few World Cup squads and see who'd be considered a decent striker and that we've some chance of getting...

Balotelli - No thanks.
    Immobile - Gone to Dortmund.
    Pedro - Wouldn't say no.
    Benzema - Yes please.
    Remy - Yes.
    Mario Gomez - Hard to know how he'd do...
    Cavani - Not gonna leave PSG.
    Shaqiri - Yes!!!!
    Jackson Martinez - Tbh I know nothing about him besides his reputation.
    Abel Hernandez - Same as above
    Higuain - I'd take him.
    Lukaku - YES YES YES!!

Is that it? Some severe shortage of decent strikers out there. Any "big" strikers outside World Cup squads? Besides Ibra obviously.

EDIT: I know some are wingers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tannywanny

You would be unhappy with £75 million based on what? Gareth Bale costing more or what logic exactly?

Bale signed for Real a few months short of his 24th birthday. Ronaldo had just turned 24 when he signed for them.

Suarez is getting closer to 28. He has, to be kind, disciplinary issues. To be unkind, he has a propensity to be randomly lunatic.

If Bale and Ronaldo end up costing more it's because a) they were younger at time of sale b) had more peak years ahead of them and c) didn't display a tendency to inexplicably act like a wild animal.

Imo people sniffing at £75m need their heads checked. Suarez probably has (max) 6 peak years ahead of him bringing him up to 33. That's if he manages to sort out his issues, adapt to Spanish football and stay injury-free. At Ajax and Liverpool, Suarez has been the main man. A lot of the play goes through or to him. At Barca he'll face a situation where a lot of the play will go through Messi and Neymar. He might (genuinely) have to play 2nd fiddle to the above named and may struggle in his first season to justify that price tag.

To get £75m for a player of his age and overall profile is perfectly fair. To argue it undervalues him is ridiculous in the extreme.

Good points. As a Liverpool fan I am not too worried if he goes anymore. He has been great for us when he stayed clear of trouble. Seem to be rebuilding the right way with new signings.

Great shout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would you guys take a chance on Luis Muriel or Carlos Bacca? Similar playing styles to Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He'd win the battle of who has the best hair :) That's for sure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'll just go through a few World Cup squads and see who'd be considered a decent striker and that we've some chance of getting...

Is that it? Some severe shortage of decent strikers out there. Any "big" strikers outside World Cup squads? Besides Ibra obviously.

EDIT: I know some are wingers :p

Fellaini did pretty well when put up top against Algeria. Maybe we could go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The echo are saying that's his release clause, so we won't get any more than that

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would you guys take a chance on Luis Muriel or Carlos Bacca? Similar playing styles to Suarez

If Muriel's as good in real life as he is in FIFA he's definitely worth a go :pac:

Fellaini did pretty well when put up top against Algeria. Maybe we could go for him.

I don't know if this is sarcastic.... :rolleyes: :p I didn't exactly get a positive reaction when I suggested buying him a few hours ago :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think the last time a Player transferred between Liverpool and Man U was in the 50's. Can't see it Happening again.

I uses to quite like Fellaini at Everton though.

The weird thing is that he is worth more than that to us, but less than that to Barca because of your points above. He may not improve them but it will weaken us, although the whole out til Nov thing is somewhat of a weakener itself of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Jesus H Christ - really glad some of you guys have no input on the spending of Luis money - Fellani? Lukaku? - no doubt this is from the same crew that think Borini and Aspas are class players :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How much would we have to pay for you to take him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

bitemeluis wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ - really glad some of you guys have no input on the spending of Luis money - Fellani? Lukaku? - no doubt this is from the same crew that think Borini and Aspas are class players :pac::pac::pac:

How about Adabeyor? Could be a good quick fix for a season or two.

I still think we'll go for a hybrid forward instead of an out and out striker, one that can play out wide or down the middle quite comfortably.

Sanchez is the outstanding first choice, obviously. Griezmann can play centrally if needed, seen him play there for Sociedad in the CL. El Shaarawy can play anywhere along the front line. Likewise Volland and Firmino at Hoffenheim spring to mind from the Bundesliga.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement