Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

How much would we have to pay for you to take him?

A cool 48.2 million.

I seriously reckon he'll be quality again when he gets a new club. :p

bitemeluis wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ - really glad some of you guys have no input on the spending of Luis money - Fellani? Lukaku? - no doubt this is from the same crew that think Borini and Aspas are class players :pac::pac::pac:

What's wrong with Lukaku? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Charlie19 wrote: »
    How about Adabeyor? Could be a good quick fix for a season or two.

BR has built a team to play football - there wont be any hoofing the ball into the box - Adeboyer, Fellani, Lukaku arent the type of players that will fit - Lambert will get lots of splinters this year and is plan B, hoof and hope if all else fails

If sanchez goes to Arsenal then fcuk it - I would throw Origi in at the deep end and see how he swims - its a big risk but there arent many goalscorers out there who can play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

People scoff at players like Benteke, Bony, Lukaku and Ba, but they're the kind of players the likes of Chelsea pick up as squad players who usually do the business when called upon.

In don't get the "Jaaaayysssus no" like they're Bentner or something.

What's wrong with Lukaku? :confused:

Etoo and Torres couldnt buy a goal - Chelsea sign Costa and still loan him out - speaks volumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think the last time a Player transferred between Liverpool and Man U was in the 50's. Can't see it Happening again.

I uses to quite like Fellaini at Everton though.

I'm not sure whether you're just going along with it or you think I was being serious, so I'll just take this opportunity to state I really really think we should go for Fellaini.

I don't know what's going on anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Lads suarez has 4 years left on his contract. Why can't we do what Dortmund did with lewandoski. Let him run out the contract and then go on a free.
    He is an unbelievable player and I would rather get 4 more years service and £0.
    We could win 2 league titles in that time with him.

Etoo and Torres couldnt buy a goal - Chelsea sign Costa and still loan him out - speaks volumes

Scored 15 goals in 31 games with Everton last year aged 21 - speaks volumes.

Mourinho's just decided he doesn't like him for whatever reason, I think he's a decent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lads suarez has 4 years left on his contract. Why can't we do what Dortmund did with lewandoski. Let him run out the contract and then go on a free.
    He is an unbelievable player and I would rather get 4 more years service and £0.

It just doesn't work like that. Players have the power now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Liverpool should sign Gary Medel asap.

On top of him being a useful and probably very cheap addition to the squad, his arrival would entice his buddy to live in Liverpool as opposed to London or anywhere else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

And what happens next time Suarez does something stupid. Probably a year ban.

Scored 15 goals in 31 games with Everton last year aged 21 - speaks volumes.

Mourinho's just decided he doesn't like him for whatever reason, I think he's a decent player.

Andy Carroll scored 31 in 57 league matches before we bought him

Lukaku, Bony, Andy Carroll -> similarity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't know what's going on anymore.

i dont know what a tracker mortgage is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Carroll scored 11 for Newcastle in the first half of that season including a Hatrick against villa. The other goals were like 20 I'm the championship.
    Lukaku isn't an overrated overprice English player!!

Lukaku's had two decent seasons with smaller clubs, bit different to Carroll who had a good half season with Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Lukaku cant play football on the ground - Origi will most likely start against Argentina based on form in the previous games - why choose Lukaku the battering ram before a ball playing Origi?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

An under-appreciated footballing "big" man around these waters is Yuri Movsisyan. He has taken a step up every year and not disappointed any time I've seen him, which has been a decent bit.
    No passport or language issues either.

I like a lot of the players we've been linked with, Markovic, Shaqiri, Yarmolenko, etc, but they're all either a rung (or two) below what they'd be replacing, or their surplus to requirements at their own club.

In terms of wages, stature and challenging for honours, there are 6, maybe 7 clubs that are in a better position than Liverpool. Madrid, Barcelona, City, Chelsea, Bayern (not mentioning Inter/Juve) purely cause they don't have the clout anymore. In that respect I'd love to see the brains trust go for something a little left-field, someone like Angel di Maria, who would excel in the PL, and is definitely top-rung right now, and who might see the writing on the wall at Madrid.

I don't fancy Pedro. It's all well and good being surrounded by superstars week in week out where teams capitulate with regularity before a ball is kicked. I'd have a bad feeling about him in England.

I know there are one or two (more) posters who've poo-poo'd the idea of Huntelaar, but if it's a proven goalscorer who is technically efficient, then he's worth a pop, even having bought Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lukaku cant play football on the ground - Origi will most likely start against Argentina based on form in the previous games - why choose Lukaku the battering ram before a ball playing Origi?

The same Lukaku who had an assist with his first touch against the USA and scored with his second?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The same Lukaku who had an assist with his first touch against the USA and scored with his second?

Is that the same USA v Belgium when he came on in injury time when the USA were out on their feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Neymar has been ruled out of the world cup with a broken bone in his back so expect the Suarez deal to be rushed a head now as that's not an injury you come back from quickly!

I've no comment on the transfer fee as we have no idea what it is till the clubs release a statement when\if they choose.

Sanchez as part of the deal would be nice but if he does not want to play for Liverpool then move on to other targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

woodyg wrote: »
    Neymar has been ruled out of the world cup with a broken bone in his back so expect the Suarez deal to be rushed a head now as that's not an injury you come back from quickly!

I've no comment on the transfer fee as we have no idea what it is till the clubs release a statement when\if they choose.

Sanchez as part of the deal would be nice but if he does not want to play for Liverpool then move on to other targets.

It is more than likely an injury you can recover from in less than 4 months though.

I'd love to see us go for someone like Lacazette or Firmino, both good talents who play all along the line. In terms of bigger names, someone like Di Maria would be great, or even Cuadrado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Lukaku's had two decent seasons with smaller clubs, bit different to Carroll who had a good half season with Newcastle.

Its a Di Maria/Hazard type player that is needed to replace Suarez not a CF, you need someone to replace Suarez's creativity, energy, pace, counter attacking threat.

Someone who will start the attacks.

Lukaku is none of these.

Sterling will be that player in a year or two IMO, but not yet

Is that the same USA v Belgium when he came on in injury time when the USA were out on their feet?

Shouldn't make a difference what stage he came on.

He scored 15 goals in the league last season and 17 the season before and he's only 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kingdom wrote: »
    I don't fancy Pedro. It's all well and good being surrounded by superstars week in week out where teams capitulate with regularity before a ball is kicked. I'd have a bad feeling about him in England.

He's a pretty solid finisher, has pace, he can get a cross in and any neat passing around the box is 2nd nature.

I reckon he'd be a solid 20-30 goals scored or assisted sort of player.

But I'd eat my hat if Barca get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

5starpool wrote: »
    The weird thing is that he is worth more than that to us, but less than that to Barca because of your points above. He may not improve them but it will weaken us, although the whole out til Nov thing is somewhat of a weakener itself of course.

Precisely that. His worth to Liverpool and his market value are 2 very different things. Put it this way, there won't be many Catalans jumping for joy at the "bargain" price of £75 million for a player of his age and disciplinary record.

Many Barca fans will look at Suarez and think "so yeah he scored a bucket full of goals in Holland (so what/big deal/my granny could score 30 goals in the Eredivisie) and won the League Cup with Liverpool (big deal), is well the wrong side of 25 years old and has serious issues and we're paying £75 million?!!!"

His true market value given his age and baggage is probably a lot closer to £50 million. Liverpool are getting slightly lucky that Barca absolutely need to appease their fans right now after the season they had. They absolutely need to splash big to prove they can match Real in the market.

I would also point to the very small sample size without Suarez last season that went splendidly. This season will be the acid test, of course, but there's still a strong case for Liverpool being just as strong (if not stronger) without him (alongside new additions).

The World Cup has shown that a) one star player can almost single-handedly make an ordinary team very decent (Messi, Robben, Neymar, James) but also b) it's possible to be a very decent ordinary team (Costa Rica, Chile, Greece). So given the star player is leaving, it's up to the manager to make option b) happen. And clearly Liverpool will have a lot more talent than Costa Rica lining up at the start of the season.

I'd back Rodgers all day long to succeed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't think you need to try and replace Suarez directly with a big money forward. The front four of Sturridge, Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling, with Henderson slotting in at times, looks very good to me. And they'll all get better given time.

I'd say it would be more beneficial to improve the middle of the park and let the good attacking players you have have a crack at it from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is more than likely an injury you can recover from in less than 4 months though.

It is an injury that might convince Alexis to stay and fight for his place if he was thinking of sticking around beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Suarez to Barca I think we have all accepted by now.

Sanchez to Arsenal at the same time would be a bit of a kick in the balls.

We lose a world class player and our direct rivals gain a player who is at least just a level down from world class. And Barca use Arsenal's money to partially pay for Suarez.

Said before that even if Sanchez doesn't fancy living in lovely Liverpool we should demand off Barca that they don't sell him to an English club.

I expect the worst though.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Shouldn't make a difference what stage he came on.

He scored 15 goals in the league last season and 17 the season before and he's only 21.

If you are going to try make a point that a player makes a goal with his first touch and scores with his second, and then claim it doesnt make a difference if he has been on the pitch for 90 mins like everyone else, or 90 secs, then thats a bit like a 5 year old sticking his hands over his ears when he doesnt want to hear what hes hearing

of the 15, and the 17 I believe it worth knowing how many of these goals were headers

In a minority , but slightly baffled by the Alexis Sanchez love-in.

He's a very good footballer but let's face it he's not a prolific goalscorer and he's not exactly prolific assisting either. He didn't have a fantastic world cup, which is not important obviously, but you'd have to say he was massively overshadowed by Arturo Vidal in a workmanlike Chile side.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over him going to Arsenal or staying in Barcelona. The fact he is unwanted at Barca and was being hawked around for €30-€35m (representing a loss on what they paid Udinese in total) should in itself be a hint.

I agree largely with Paul Scholes when he said for £30m as a fan he wants someone who can score 20 goals a season on a regular basis. Sanchez has only once hit 20 a season. I know football has moved on a lot in recent years but it's not a bad metric really - for that type of money you should want someone prolific in front of goal.

Anyway I'm not sure how or where he fits into that Arsenal set up unless they are ready to go back to the Overmars and Ljungberg days by shifting Walcott and Sanchez out wide with Ozil in the hole behind Giroud.

• Advertisement

of the 15, and the 17 I believe it worth knowing how many of these goals were headers

From a WBA fact website before the end of the 2012/13 season - "Of Lukaku's 14 goals, 5 have been with his 'weaker' right foot, 6 with his left and 3 with his head."

Just watched a video of all his goals from last year and he scored 3 headers as well, one of which came from a corner and another one was a beautiful diving header.

Sturridge probably scores more headers than him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He's a very good footballer but let's face it he's not a prolific goalscorer and he's not exactly prolific assisting either. He didn't have a fantastic world cup, which is not important obviously, but you'd have to say he was massively overshadowed by Arturo Vidal in a workmanlike Chile side.

How much of Chile did you watch? In my opinion Sanchez had a very good world cup. Vidal played well too but to say he 'massively overshadowed' him is completely overstating things imo. Sanchez was by far and away Chiles most dangerous player and a constant torn in the sides of defenders as he was pressing relentlessly when not in possession.

Fizman wrote: »
    How much of Chile did you watch? In my opinion Sanchez had a very good world cup. Vidal played well too but to say he 'massively overshadowed' him is completely overstating things imo. Sanchez was by far and away Chiles most dangerous player and a constant torn in the sides of defenders as he was pressing relentlessly when not in possession.
    2 full games and he was definitely ineffective in one of them, looked dangerous in the other.

Anyway i'll stand by my main point in that for that type of money he doesn't offer prolific goalscoring (yet) but having said that the English league may well suit him and he could turn out to be a bargain at £30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sign of times where a bid of £70m for a player is deemed a "disgrace"!

A player who cost £22.8m, let his club down a number of times yet played a pivotal role in securing CL qualification. Depending what source you base it from, CL is worth anywhere upwards of £35m for an English club. £47.2m profit plus whatever % of that qualification was down to Suarez (a lot)...likely the 3rd/4th highest transfer fee of all time....likely securing a positive working relationship with Barca in the future....

It's futile comparing Suarez to Bale as a basis for being happy or unhappy with a transfer fee. a) Real Madrid are nuts when it comes to balls-out-look-at-us-transfers and b) Gareth Bale doesn't go around biting people or causing nonsense for his club.

It's well and good waffling on about the current market but at the end of the day anything above £65/70m shouldn't be labelled a disgrace and for all that he's a sublime footballer, that figure would still represent a massive gamble for Barca and, in my book, a result for Liverpool. Getting one of the highest wages and a volatile, at times poisonous, character off the books for a huge profit at a time when the club are doing just fine.

The main man at Liverpool is not Luis Suarez and the club will be just fine. Brendan Rodgers is the man and he'll get it right.

post-23747-Oprah-shaking-head-NO-gif-Imgu-SO8b.gif

If you are going to try make a point that a player makes a goal with his first touch and scores with his second, and then claim it doesnt make a difference if he has been on the pitch for 90 mins like everyone else, or 90 secs, then thats a bit like a 5 year old sticking his hands over his ears when he doesnt want to hear what hes hearing

Last season it was 2 headers.

Everton played a passing game last season and preferred cutting in from the wing rather than trying to find a target man all the time. He would easily score 20 plus a season for us with our style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Many Barca fans will look at Suarez and think "so yeah he scored a bucket full of goals in Holland (so what/big deal/my granny could score 30 goals in the Eredivisie) and won the League Cup with Liverpool (big deal), is well the wrong side of 25 years old and has serious issues and we're paying £75 million?!!!"

I doubt many Barca fans will think like that unless they are halfwits that never watched him play.

They will see a proven goalscorer that can win them games. They will have bought a player that is easily in the top 3 in the world and got him for a very decent price. They'd also have got him when they should be banned from transfers outright but thats a different story.

Also your view of the Dutch league is so disrespectful and ignorant it is almost funny.

Goal scoring rate at Ajax after 4 seasons is 1 goal every 1.4 games.
    Goal scoring rate at Liverpool after 3 and a half seasons a goal every 1.6 games.

I doubt any Barca fans will care about what Suarez has won but will be very very happy with the goals he has scored (260 goals from 441 games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sanchez is vastly over-rated. Would rather Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

With the Suarez funds provided Sanchez doesn't come I'd like to see Liverpool bring in Lukaku as a striking option and then try for Javi Martinez for midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

if Barca fans are anything like us they'll be watching youtube video after youtube video and drooling over suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

We should be clearing barca out on Monday, with Neymars injury, they will need Suarez more than ever - 100 million and not a penny less....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fieldog wrote: »
    We should be clearing barca out on Monday, with Neymars injury, they will need Suarez more than ever - 100 million and not a penny less....
    There is a buyout clause of between 70-80m pounds. We are getting good money for Suarez imo. But getting a good replacement is going to be tough as Sanchez joining looks unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't think you need to try and replace Suarez directly with a big money forward. The front four of Sturridge, Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling, with Henderson slotting in at times, looks very good to me. And they'll all get better given time.

I'd say it would be more beneficial to improve the middle of the park and let the good attacking players you have have a crack at it from there.
    It's a fair point sturridge being so injury prone is what would worry me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I wouldn't lose any sleep over him going to Arsenal or staying in Barcelona. The fact he is unwanted at Barca and was being hawked around for €30-€35m (representing a loss on what they paid Udinese in total) should in itself be a hint.

I agree largely with Paul Scholes when he said for £30m as a fan he wants someone who can score 20 goals a season on a regular basis. Sanchez has only once hit 20 a season. I know football has moved on a lot in recent years but it's not a bad metric really - for that type of money you should want someone prolific in front of goal.

Anyway I'm not sure how or where he fits into that Arsenal set up unless they are ready to go back to the Overmars and Ljungberg days by shifting Walcott and Sanchez out wide with Ozil in the hole behind Giroud.

I do think he did quite well at the world cup to a point but I agree with this sentiment completely.

In my opinion Sterling will be a better player than Sanchez in two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I honestly don't care how much we get for Suarez once we sign adequate replacements. So far of all the names mentioned, I would only really be satisfied with Sanchez and possibly Shaqiri. I think I would rather even £25m plus Sanchez then to get £100m cash and for Sanchez to go to Arsenal, not that I think Sanchez is worth anywhere near £75m but I can't see who else we will sign to replace Suarez, realistically there are very few players who fit the profile. We could easily squander this money on potential, the price we paid for Lallana and the rumoured bid for Lovren of £20m suggest to me that we could very easily p*ss this money away without making a single world class signing, while both players I feel would do a good job if we were to only sign players of that calibre to replace Suarez then we would be in a weaker position than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

bluefinger wrote: »
    if Barca fans are anything like us they'll be watching youtube video after youtube video and drooling over suarez.

I think the post was slightly influenced by Barca fans copping on that Fabregas wasn't all he was cracked up to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Griezmann & El Shaarawy would be the players I would sign if Sanchez doesn't come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

MD1990 wrote: »
    Griezmann & El Shaarawy would be the players I would sign if Sanchez doesn't come.

Di Maria for me. Rumours suggest he wants to leave Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

slingerz wrote: »
    With the Suarez funds provided Sanchez doesn't come I'd like to see Liverpool bring in Lukaku as a striking option and then try for Javi Martinez for midfield
    Why buy Lukaku when we have bought a similar younger player with a better touch in Origi? Now i am only going by other reports and seeing him in one match but Origi looks like becoming the player many thought Lukaku could.
    I honestly don't care how much we get for Suarez once we sign adequate replacements. So far of all the names mentioned, I would only really be satisfied with Sanchez and possibly Shaqiri. I think I would rather even £25m plus Sanchez then to get £100m cash and for Sanchez to go to Arsenal, not that I think Sanchez is worth anywhere near £75m but I can't see who else we will sign to replace Suarez, realistically there are very few players who fit the profile. We could easily squander this money on potential, the price we paid for Lallana and the rumoured bid for Lovren of £20m suggest to me that we could very easily p*ss this money away without making a single world class signing, while both players I feel would do a good job if we were to only sign players of that calibre to replace Suarez then we would be in a weaker position than last season.
    Suarez wasn't a world class signing when we signed him. He was a tremendous prospect with a questionable temprament that thankfully worked out for us.
    Lallanas price is quoted as £16m plus add-ons, going by the reported £4m that Bournemouth received which is a fair price, imo, and not outrageous by any measure. The Lovren price quoted would be the same ie transfer fee plus total bonuses payable on reaching certain targets.
    I think we are all on the same page as regards the players purchased this season to progress the club. There is a possibility that we could overpay or buy a few duds but that possibility is always there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Fescue wrote: »
    Di Maria for me. Rumours suggest he wants to leave Real.
    £40m is the figure being quoted. Not sure if he is worth that but i don't think any player is worth that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Given recent history in transfers, I'm not concerned about what names get bandied about because as we've seen recently, the ITK aren't very in right now.

I think there will be a certain relief when Suarez goes, accompanied with an anxiety that can only come from trying to replace a 30 goal a season striker. Some may call for Sturridge to stand in, but he is ideally going to remain as a heavy hitting auxiliary striker. I'm not playing down his importance at all, but we need another striker, as Borini simply can't be expected to make that step up and Lambert will hardly provide Suarez cover.

We just need some big ass signings, but I'm not going to worry until I see Zaf touching someone useless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement