Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

5live wrote: »
    £40m is the figure being quoted. Not sure if he is worth that but i don't think any player is worth that:)

I think we need to move away from worrying about fees. Inflation is estimated at 30% this year due to the new tv deal. It could be even higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fescue wrote: »
    Di Maria for me. Rumours suggest he wants to leave Real.

With due respect, it'd be very very difficult for a club in Liverpool's position to convince Di Maria or Sanchez that the best thing to so is join them. They're selling their only currently world class player ad replacing him with a bunch of guys from Southampton. Aside from that they've 3 or 4 young players with one good season behind them and a fairly shaky defence.

The message to Di Maria or Sanchez would be that they have to carry the team while some of the young prospects turn into the real deal. You know, you don't want to go from Barca or Real to a 'project', if you get my meaning.

It's exactly what happened at Arsenal and one after another Fabregas, RVP et al got sick of it and left for clubs where they'd be given the best players available to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Expectations managed. But I think I hear Turdy getting out of bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Grayditch wrote: »

LOL, it is the same for Arsenal tbh. Bayern, Chelsea, City, Juve all more appealing for a top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »

ozil.jpg, incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

El Inho wrote: »
    Given recent history in transfers, I'm not concerned about what names get bandied about because as we've seen recently, the ITK aren't very in right now.

I think there will be a certain relief when Suarez goes, accompanied with an anxiety that can only come from trying to replace a 30 goal a season striker. Some may call for Sturridge to stand in, but he is ideally going to remain as a heavy hitting auxiliary striker. I'm not playing down his importance at all, but we need another striker, as Borini simply can't be expected to make that step up and Lambert will hardly provide Suarez cover.

We just need some big ass signings, but I'm not going to worry until I see Zaf touching someone useless.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hmm Neymar getting injured might come to our advantage.

Hope we don't get too many players off the back of the World Cup - can be hit or miss. Would prefer proven top European league talent.

Any chance Johnson will be sold off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

NukaCola wrote: »
    Also your view of the Dutch league is so disrespectful and ignorant it is almost funny.

Goal scoring rate at Ajax after 4 seasons is 1 goal every 1.4 games.
    Goal scoring rate at Liverpool after 3 and a half seasons a goal every 1.6 games.

I doubt any Barca fans will care about what Suarez has won but will be very very happy with the goals he has scored (260 goals from 441 games).
    Look, the Eredivisie is a sub-standard European League, simple as that. No disrespect needed. It's behind the English, German, French, Spanish, Italian leagues by some distance.

Take one look at the top scorers who've got 30+ goals in a season Holland in the last decade.

Kezman - Goal Machine for PSV. Career falls apart on leaving Holland.
    Alfonso Alves - Goal Machine for Heerenveen. Crap thereafter.
    Bas Dost - Strong signs his career is taking a similar swan dive.

Only Bony and Huntelaar have slightly bucked that trend, but even in their cases it's hardly been a rip-roaring success since leaving the easy pickings in the Eredivisie.

Suarez, clearly, is an exception.

Incidentally, no Dutch team has even contested a European competition final in 12 years. Europa or Champions League.

It's a poor league and one where it's possible to be very prolific. Very few have gone on to prove that in other major leagues upon leaving Holland. In fact, 9 out of the 10 last years the top scorer in Holland was sold in the summer after it. Kezman, Kuyt, Alves, Huntelaar, Suarez, Vleminck, Dost, Bony, Finbogasson. You could only make solid cases for Suarez and Kuyt having gone on to better things.

As for Suarez, i'm sure Barca fans will be buzzing at the prospect of Messi, Neymar and Suarez playing together at some point this season to rival the 'BBC' trio of Real. But being a brilliant footballer is no guarantee he'll fit in or be a success at Barca. Both Zlatan and Alexis Sanchez have huge reputations and ability but both were shunted to the periphery by the basic fact everything goes through Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I would have Reus before any of the other options mentioned so far!

gosplan wrote: »
    With due respect, it'd be very very difficult for a club in Liverpool's position to convince Di Maria or Sanchez that the best thing to so is join them. They're selling their only currently world class player ad replacing him with a bunch of guys from Southampton. Aside from that they've 3 or 4 young players with one good season behind them and a fairly shaky defence.

The message to Di Maria or Sanchez would be that they have to carry the team while some of the young prospects turn into the real deal. You know, you don't want to go from Barca or Real to a 'project', if you get my meaning.

It's exactly what happened at Arsenal and one after another Fabregas, RVP et al got sick of it and left for clubs where they'd be given the best players available to play with.

Well in Sanchez case he is a possibility for Arsenal and Liverpool because none of the big cash rich clubs seem interested in him. Which in itself says a lot.

If Bayern, Chelsea, City have an interest in Di Maria then I expect him to go there. If not then I think Liverpool are as likely as any to get him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

From BookFace:

'If Brendan Rodgers replaces Luis Suarez in the same manner he has replaced his wife, Liverpool will win the league!!'

10452368_548775978566181_1624483180121738925_n.jpg?oh=e7be5e6c686d3a9d05eeef08cebe03fd&oe=540E7A82&__gda__=1411705576_bfb680c26e47b4f74761c9068c84956e

Di Maria for me. Rumours suggest he wants to leave Real.

Better player than Ozil too.

djPSB wrote: »
    Better player than Ozil too.

I think Ozil is a good player, really talented but he is typical of the type of player that Arsenal have bought in recent years. Technically great, mentally weak. Time and again when their mettle is tested they come up short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Di maria and huntaleer would be great

I think Ozil is a good player, really talented but he is typical of the type of player that Arsenal have bought in recent years. Technically great, mentally weak. Time and again when their mettle is tested they come up short.

Di Maria is the opposite though.

Works hard, comes up with the important goals when needed. i.e. CL final, WC Quarter Final..

Works hard, comes up with the important goals when needed. i.e. CL final, WC Quarter Final..

That's exactly why I think he would be perfect for Liverpool.

A players mentality is so important. That's perhaps the reason the club pushed so hard for Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He hasnt scored in either of those games.

Raf32 wrote: »
    He hasnt scored in either of those games.

Is that all a performance should be based on?

Is that all a performance should be based on?

he said scored, i just said he didnt. of course its not all about goals

• Advertisement

He scored the winner against Switzerland which I'm sure the is game Djsb was referring to.

He scored the winner against Switzerland which I'm sure the is game Djsb was referring to.

In the last 16 though like a certain weak minded Ozil.

In the last 16 though like a certain weak minded Ozil.

Di Maria has consistently performed for Madrid on the biggest occasion. He has a fantastic attitude.

That's exactly why I think he would be perfect for Liverpool.

A players mentality is so important. That's perhaps the reason the club pushed so hard for Lallana.

I think that's what we should be going after. One or two skillful players are always fine in a team but a team of fight until the end will win us the league. Run defenses ragged and we will get the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Di Maria has consistently performed for Madrid on the biggest occasion. He has a fantastic attitude.

And özil didn't when he was there?

Apologies.

MOTM in CL final.

Winning goal in WC 2nd round.

• Advertisement

I think that's what we should be going after. One or two skillful players are always fine in a team but a team of fight until the end will win us the league. Run defenses ragged and we will get the goals.

That's exactly where I see Arsenal are deficient and why they haven't won the premier league in the last few years. Lots of talented players but they lack the mentally tough fighters that win you leagues.

Look at city, for all the wonderful players they have, its the mental toughness and attitude of Kompany and Zabaletta that holds it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rocko

Re Suarez to Barca, they are now without 2 strikers for the first few months of the season assuming Neymar is also out for a few months injured..... Will they be selling Sanchez...

jonny666 wrote: »
    And özil didn't when he was there?
    "It's true, that maybe Di Maria has less quality than Ozil but on a profile of dynamism, character and help to the team I preferred Di Maria.

"With the arrival of Bale it was better to have Di Maria than Ozil."

That's why Carlo Ancelotti sold him.

That's exactly where I see Arsenal are deficient and why they haven't won the premier league in the last few years. Lots of talented players but they lack the mentally tough fighters that win you leagues.

Look at city, for all the wonderful players they have, its the mental toughness and attitude of Kompany and Zabaletta that holds it all together.

This is the next step we have to take I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

We should query about Di Maria, but I feel If he does leave, he will be heading to city with Yaya off to PSG.

• Advertisement

That's why Carlo Ancelotti sold him.

Whats why he sold him?

If they sell Di Maria to liverpool will that automatically make him useless?

Whats why he sold him?

I don't think I said at any point he was useless. In fact he is a fantastically talented player. I just think he lacks a bit of mental strength. Which I see as the main reason Arsenal haven't won the league.

Di Maria might not be as talented as Ozil but I would take him every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I don't think I said at any point he was useless. In fact he is a fantastically talented player. I just think he lacks a bit of mental strength. Which I see as the main reason Arsenal haven't won the league.

Di Maria might not be as talented as Ozil but I would take him every single time.

Ah here.

You said Di Maria performed for Madrid implying that Ozil didnt. You are talking through your hole

You said Di Maria performed for Madrid implying that Ozil didnt. You are talking through your hole

Yes but which one?

klose wrote: »
    Ah here.

Paraphrasing Ancelotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Whats why he sold him?

Nope the reason Ozil was sold and Di Maria was kept was down to the fact Carlo Ancelotti worked with both players and obviously felt that Ozil had less mettle so decided to sell him . I don't think I have saw Ozil preform well when the going got tough .

Nope the reason Ozil was sold and Di Maria was kept was down to the fact Carlo Ancelotti worked with both players and obviously felt that Ozil had less mettle so decided to sell him . I don't think I have saw Ozil preform well when the going got tough .

Ancelotti had only worked with them for around two months. Mourinho still praises Ozil as the best #10 in the world and had him in his team despite the style of football he employs.

Ancelotti had only worked with them for around two months. Mourinho still praises Ozil as the best #10 in the world and had him in his team despite the style of football he employs.

Mesut Ozil needs special treatment because he's 'sensitive', according to Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
    Mourinho said that Arsenal's midfielder, who play for him at Real Madrid, 'needs trust' if you want to get the best out of him.

‘I think it's hard to criticize him, because Özil is Özil,' said Mourinho.
    'If you were expecting Özil to be super aggressive and to be running miles and miles from side to side and to show great enthusiasm and aggressiveness, this is not Mesut.
    ‘If you are waiting for somebody where every time he touches the ball, the ball smiles.
    ‘Every time he makes a pass, the ball goes with the right direction, the right speed, the right intensity, this is Özil.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Ozil is a class act. I'm sure we will see the best of him next season.

• Advertisement

Ozil and Di Maria are different types of players. If Ancelotti preferred one over then other thats fine, but Fescue is trying to say Ozil never performed for Mardid. He was one of their best players each year he was there

Mourinhos opinion means nothing . The chap is a walking hypocrite . So I don't pay any attention to what he says or does .
    The simple fact here is when it came time for Real Madrid to ship out Ozil or Di Maria they chose to get shot of Ozil . Clus like Madrid don't sell a player like that unless they are mentally weak or they can cash in and get a better player . To me it was a mental weakness . In the champions league Ozil took a penalty against Bayern Munich and he fluffed it . That was his mettle being tested and he failed big time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Lads I don't think anyone is saying Ozil isn't a fantastic footballer. The debate here is who has more mental strength and works harder for the team. Both Ancelotti and Mourinho quotes suggest Di Maria is that player, with maybe slightly less skill and that Ozil is technically gifted but maybe not as mentally strong.

Ozil and Di Maria are different types of players. If Ancelotti preferred one over then other thats fine, but Fescue is trying to say Ozil never performed for Mardid. He was one of their best players each year he was there

I think that's what you have imagined I have said but if you read back through what I actually said, you would realise I never said that at all.

Mourinhos opinion means nothing . The chap is a walking hypocrite . So I don't pay any attention to what he says or does .
    The simple fact here is when it came time for Real Madrid to ship out Ozil or Di Maria they chose to get shot of Ozil . Clus like Madrid don't sell a player like that unless they are mentally weak or they can cash in and get a better player . To me it was a mental weakness . In the champions league Ozil took a penalty against Bayern Munich and he fluffed it . That was his mettle being tested and he failed big time .

He also scored a pretty important goal in the last round of the world cup the other day

I think that's what you have imagined I have said but if you read back through what I actually said, you would realise I never said that at all.

You didnt say it. you were tring to say it. you were implying it with this comment

'Di Maria has consistently performed for Madrid on the biggest occasion. He has a fantastic attitude.'

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gosplan wrote: »

You're not wrong. It will be difficult to sign a player close to the quality of Suarez, not just due to financial considerations but because of what you've said above. If Liverpool can have another really good season competing for the league towards the end then it might be easier next year.

While I don't expect Liverpool to fall down to close to where they were a couple of seasons back (65 points, say) I don't expect 90 points either, or even that close. If we get 75 points or so it'll be roughly on par with my expectations at this point in time. This might well change though depending on transfer activity in the next 8 weeks.

He also scored a pretty important goal in the last round of the world cup the other day

Agreed but he should have scored it the first time, I think he fluffed the first hit across the box. He never strikes me as a game changing type of player. I am happy that Arsenal have him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're not getting Di Maria. Or Reus, for that matter.

Pipedreams.

• Advertisement

Was the pressure on him solely ? No it wasn't there was pressure on the whole team . The simple fact about Ozil is he is supremely talented but when it comes to pressure on himself he will go into hiding .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement