Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Was the pressure on him solely ? No it wasn't there was pressure on the whole team . The simple fact about Ozil is he is supremely talented but when it comes to pressure on himself he will go into hiding .

Thank god its a team game

We'll keep him away from penalties and be grand. He can stick to what he's best at. Creating chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

jonny666 wrote: »
    You didnt say it. you were tring to say it. you were implying it with this comment

'Di Maria has consistently performed for Madrid on the biggest occasion. He has a fantastic attitude.'

yeah_ok.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is this the arsenal thread?

Fescue wrote: »
    yeah_ok.gif

Ok that was just a random one off statement about Di Maria I seem to have taken out of context

A gif is a great argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

We'll keep him away from penalties and be grand. He can stick to what he's best at. Creating chances

http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-premier-league-2013-2014/

Not a very good return for a player who is supposed to be an assist machine too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »
    Expectations managed. But I think I hear Turdy getting out of bed.

I don't even think he sees the humour in his post.

Ok that was just a random one off statement about Di Maria I seem to have taken out of context

A gif is a great argument

My argument hasn't been about how Ozil or Di Maria have performed overall for Madrid or Arsenal, it was about the character of each player and their mental strength under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ozil and Di Maria.

The new Shaw vs Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Di Maria's great and all but he doesn't score enough goals.

We'd need him + someone who can reliably score 15 goals in the league.

Is this the arsenal thread?

No there's not enough Liverpool talk for it to be.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Di Maria's great and all but he doesn't score enough goals.

We'd need him + someone who can reliably score 15 goals in the league.

See, now you'll be accused of turning your nose up to Di Maria, and implying Liverpool are too good for him.

They'll be laughing at us now, Gbear.

We really are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Are we still supposed to be buying Shaqiri? I really really really hope we do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I don't even think he sees the humour in his post.

i have to bite....

what humour?

Nope the reason Ozil was sold and Di Maria was kept was down to the fact Carlo Ancelotti worked with both players and obviously felt that Ozil had less mettle so decided to sell him . I don't think I have saw Ozil preform well when the going got tough .

Would position not have had something to do with it.

I mean I'm not disagreeing with you but it looked to me at the time like Madrid had 3 wide players, one of whom (Ronaldo) liked to play up front.

I'm not getting into this argument but i don't think you can just categorically say like that that a manager would look at two different players in two different positions and make a call based on attitude.

Plus then you're assuming that Ancelotti gets to make that call at Madrid.

My argument hasn't been about how Ozil or Di Maria have performed overall for Madrid or Arsenal, it was about the character of each player and their mental strength under pressure.

Why that statement so in response to something about Özil

gosplan wrote: »
    i have to bite....

We'll have less of those puns around here now, fella.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not sure if posted already but I thought this belonged here.
    3C5JkGW.jpg

What do you's think ?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    3C5JkGW.jpg

What do you's think ?

It will be interesting to see how he performs at Barca where he will effectively be playing second or third fiddle to Messi and Neymar. Like Owen and Torres before the team at Liverpool was set up to get the best from him.

I think he will do really well though, until he does something mental again. Which he will.

What do you's think ?

I think for a supposedly quiet guy, Scholes is mouthing off an awful lot these days.

Edited to include: and it still amazes me just how much Torres fell apart. it was like someone turned a switch off or something. He was just so lethal at Liverpool and then the minute he transferred, he was muck ... and stayed muck.

Remember his directness? One touch, run onto it, slight change of direction to leave defender on arse and finish. Unbelievable stuff. Seriously what happened him?

It has never been more apparent to me, that we really need a song for Daniel Sturridge.

That, or sign Maxi Rodriguez again for the laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

What do you's think ?

Its true. What will the mood/behaviour be like if he us not the main guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It will be interesting to see how he performs at Barca where he will effectively be playing second or third fiddle to Messi and Neymar. Like Owen and Torres before the team at Liverpool was set up to get the best from him.

I think he will do really well though, until he does something mental again. Which he will.
    Might actually do him some good. The pressure he must feel being the main man for Liverpool & Uruguay must be immense and might lead to him snapping. When everyone doesn't look to him to change the game when it's not going well may just release enough of the pressure to stop him biting again.
    Still don't want him to go though :(

Much like other footballers opinions on Scholes I wouldn't give much time to Scholes' opinion on other footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

gosplan wrote: »
    I think for a supposedly quiet guy, Scholes is mouthing off an awful lot these days.

Edited to include: and it still amazes me just how much Torres fell apart. it was like someone turned a switch off or something. He was just so lethal at Liverpool and then the minute he transferred, he was muck ... and stayed muck.

Remember his directness? One touch, run onto it, slight change of direction to leave defender on arse and finish. Unbelievable stuff. Seriously what happened him?

He is paid to gıve an opinion isn't he? I lıke Scholes. He has been as critical of his old club as he is of others. In this instance I thınk he'll be proven wrong though - Suarez will succeed wherever he goes just as long as he meant what he said in his apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

3C5JkGW.jpg

What do you's think ?

Give him 2 years in Spain and he'll be back for 20 mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The worrying thing about Sturridge is that he is fairly injury prone. If we dont sign a replacement for Suarez (or someone that would at least compete for the starting 11) we will be left with Borini and Lambert up front.

Scary thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

joe123 wrote: »
    The worrying thing about Sturridge is that he is fairly injury prone. If we dont sign a replacement for Suarez (or someone that would at least compete for the starting 11) we will be left with Borini and Lambert up front.

Scary thought.

Not necessarily.

If we got a player approximately of the style and calibre of Sanchez, when Sturridge is out it would be them and Sterling who would be the focus and Lambert, although nominally as the tip of the spear, would be playing for the players behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Much like other footballers opinions on Scholes I wouldn't give much time to Scholes' opinion on other footballers.

Like Roy Keane, I think people vastly overrate his opinions because 'he speaks his mind' and is 'honest'.

That might be true but it doesn't mean he can't be full of shíte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Scary thought.

Read your post and all I could think of was this scene from the simpsons:

A forth striker will have to come in, but as far as backups go Borini and Lambert are pretty good. I'd go so far as to say that its the most depth we have had up front for some time. 20 goals in the Premier League last season between them, but without the service that our midfield can offer.

• Advertisement

That's exactly where I see Arsenal are deficient and why they haven't won the premier league in the last few years. Lots of talented players but they lack the mentally tough fighters that win you leagues.

Look at city, for all the wonderful players they have, its the mental toughness and attitude of Kompany and Zabaletta that holds it all together.

With due respect ... and I'm an Arsenal fan ... you're wrong there.

Arsenal have not had the talent to win leagues over the last few years.

We've a mental fragility as well, and it's cost us trophies, no doubt but we've never been good enough for the league.

The converse to your point is that City could ditch Ageuro, Silva, Toure et al and Kompany and Zab would still win them the league.

Knex. wrote: »
    We'll have less of those puns around here now, fella.

:P

True - totally unintended btw. I still don't see the humour in my original post though?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Parawind wrote: »
    A forth striker will have to come in, but as far as backups go Borini and Lambert are pretty good. I'd go so far as to say that its the most depth we have had up front for some time. 20 goals in the Premier League last season between them, but without the service that our midfield can offer.

Lambert and Borini won't score near 20 goals between them in the league next season (assuming Borini stays at Liverpool). If either are a regular starter then unless they are performing far above expectations we will be doing well to get to 75 points. We need for them to be backup only pretty much, with some rotation of course, so 20 starts between them tops in the league/CL.

Hopefully our fluidity and confidence will carry through to next season though and we can be more than the sum of our parts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

5starpool wrote: »
    Lambert and Borini won't score near 20 goals between them in the league next season (assuming Borini stays at Liverpool). If either are a regular starter then unless they are performing far above expectations we will be doing well to get to 75 points. We need for them to be backup only pretty much, with some rotation of course, so 20 starts between them tops in the league/CL.

Hopefully our fluidity and confidence will carry through to next season though and we can be more than the sum of our parts again.

I am not saying that they will be they will score 20 goals this season but I am saying they have proven that they can score goals in the premier league and it wasn't so long ago that the best we had in reserve was Aspas!

Now he will be potentially 5th choice assuming he isn't shipped back to La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

3C5JkGW.jpg

What do you's think ?

If messi doesn't like him then it's curtains for him at Barcelona .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

5starpool wrote: »

I'm quite Confident that will be, Fluid again next season.

We may lose Suarez and his Creativity, but at the same time, we'll be a more Flexible 4-3-3. Since we don't have to accommodate 2 Strikers.

This will also lessen the Burden to our Midfielders and Defense, to look after the Sides. And in doing so, will Create less Holes in the Middle. Since a Winger/WF will be more attuned to tracking back and helping out his FB, than a Striker.

That's why it's Paramount we get a really good WF, instead of another Striker.

If we get Sanchez/Di Maria, I think we'll be alright, in terms of our Top 4 Aspirations. Though losing Suarez will definitely put a Big Hole, to our Championship Ambitions.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am not saying that they will be they will score 20 goals this season but I am saying they have proven that they can score goals in the premier league and it wasn't so long ago that the best we had in reserve was Aspas!

Now he will be potentially 5th choice assuming he isn't shipped back to La Liga.

Yes, they are better than Aspas and Moses as attacking options, that's for sure, but while our backups will be better next season our main attack will almost certainly be weaker.

On Suarez, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Barca (assuming he goes of course) being not the main man. At each of his clubs since he has come to Europe and his country for the last few years, he has been the main point of attack and things have often been centred around him and changed to suit his phenomenal game and that won't happen at Barcelona. Will he get frustrated a bit I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Origi starts for Belgium again.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Origi starts once again for Belgium.

Yedlin to get a trial with us during Liverpool's US Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Origi starts once again for Belgium.

Yedlin to get a trial with us during Liverpool's US Tour.
    Like the look of Yedlin. Great pace going forward & getting back & looks to be good on the ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

MD1990 wrote: »
    Like the look of Yedlin. Great pace going forward & getting back & looks to be good on the ball too.

He was very impressive during the Belgium game, glad to see he'll get a chance with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

So say Sturridge does his hamstring, hes out for 6 weeks. You would be happy with Borini/Lambert leading the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

So say Sturridge does his hamstring, hes out for 6 weeks. You would be happy with Borini/Lambert leading the line?

Like has been said already a really Good and Versatile WF is the way to go.

Say, if we get Sanchez and Sturridge is Injured, then this is how we would Lineup:

Coutinho/Lallana
    Sterling-Sanchez-Borini/Lallana

Now, say we get your Hypothetical Striker X. Then where would Striker X play, if Sturridge is Available? The only Good Striker out there, that can play on the Wings is Benzema, and we're not getting him.

And putting Sturridge on the Wings is not the Answer either. There's a Reason why BR often employed this Lineup.

Sterling/Coutinho
    Sturridge-Suarez

But the Problem with that, as we've often seen last Season, is that our Midfield are getting pulled to the Sides to help out against Wingers and FBs. Leaving us, with many Holes in the Middle.

Raif will be happy to hear that. He recommended him in the last game, I'm sure.

Knex. wrote: »
    It has never been more apparent to me, that we really need a song for Daniel Sturridge.

That, or sign Maxi Rodriguez again for the laugh.

Danny cool would probably work.

I've given myself a hernia trying to think of a word that rhymes with Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Is Origi really that good? He scored 5 goals in 30 games last season... Is he a winger or a striker? I haven't got to see any of Belgium's games besides the USA game so I haven't seen much of him

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Danny cool would probably work.

I've given myself a hernia trying to think of a word that rhymes with Sturridge.

Going about this wrong. Lots of words rhyme with Dan or Danny. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Origi really that good? He scored 5 goals in 30 games last season... Is he a winger or a striker? I haven't got to see any of Belgium's games besides the USA game so I haven't seen much of him

When Lukaku replaced him the upgrade in quality was very noticeable. But maybe Origi had worked the US defenders ragged, making life easier for him.

greendom wrote: »
    When Lukaku replaced him the upgrade in quality was very noticeable. But maybe Origi had worked the US defenders ragged, making life easier for him.

I think so and the opposite was true when Origi replaced Lukaku. Both impressed coming on as substitutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Man we're really in trouble next season.

Bryl65HIIAEGdKr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Are people only realising now that we bought Lambert to play games?

If Sturridge is out Lambert it is. We'll be in for a WF i would think and try and add goals elsewhere in the team. And even though we are in the CL i still dont see us signing top quality just yet, so the likes of Di Maria and Sanchez will probably be out for us unless the club plays a blinder in the transfer market and I'm just not that confident they will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement