Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd love if Rodgers came out in his best wenger accent and said "I did not see the incident"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dunno where the Suarez incident is supposed to be discussed now that the thread is locked so here seems to be the best option.

I think he's staying in England for the foreseeable future which is good for the PL and good for Liverpool fans. I wonder are there any fans who want him gone because of this? If he were my player I would gladly have him, football isn't my moral compass and if he keeps banging in the goals fair play. A bit of counselling is in order of course but I do think the reaction is a bit OTT. What he did was just weird, as opposed to being dangerous or reckless. Doesn't deserve the kind of punishment I'm seeing thrown around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The twitter machine has gone into Shaqiri overdrive and it's not all about his thighs!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

mike65 wrote: »
    The twitter machine has gone into Shaqiri overdrive and it's not all about his thighs!

he scores a hattrick and within 12hrs his transfer is back on after it allegedly stalled :rolleyes:

The Rigger/Andy Carroll/Our Year is at it again :D

*Im sure I have probably missed out another identity there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Having caught the Sky news coverage yesterday I have to say he is getting better at it. The Ajax one he lunged at the guys throat in a crowd of players. At least he tried to hide the fact he was biting Ivanovich and despite the 20 odd cameras at the ground I've only seen one camera angle of the latest incident. I don't think he'll get caught next time.

If there are any children reading this I'm not condoning biting.

Luis, carry on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agueroooo wrote: »
    The Rigger/Andy Carroll/Our Year is at it again :D

*Im sure I have probably missed out another identity there.

I still laugh whenever I think about his "Fuck off Martin", post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

No because Chewbacca lives on Endor, which does not make sense, why would an 8 foot wookie live on a planet with 2 foot ewoks. It does not make sense. Now, me talking about Chewbacca makes no sense, it has nothing to do with the case, none of it makes sense. If Chiellini wasn't bit, they must acquit.

Any excuse to post the classic Chewbacca defense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Dickerty wrote: »
    Just our luck that Sahcnez and Shaqiri are both having good tournaments, pushing the price up no doubt!

But Lallana had a mare, so that might drop his ridiculous price down a bit.
    Still like to see Lallana at Liverpool for the right price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think FIFA will try and kick this into touch; either throw out the case for lack of evidence, or give him a slap on the wrist, a regular 3-game ban for violent conduct.

It's a huge can of worms to apply retrospective punishment here. Sakho smashed his nose into a player's face last night, an act just as violent and more damaging, albeit not as 'weird'. How can they justify punishing Suarez, and not opening a case on all of the dozens of other violent acts undeteced by the referees throughout the World Cup?

Not defending Suarez btw: he's a tool and will ultimately deserve whatever punishment comes his way.

Lack of evidence? :pac:

Meanwhile Ramon Calderon talking about Suarez (among other things) reckons he is of interest to Barcelona and thinks Real have decided to stick with Benzema as their out and out striker.

FF to 3 minutes and then jump to 5.50 mins.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-calderon-liverpool-star-suarez-still-set-barcelona-move-14062698447?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think we should add another £10m to his price tag because the buying team would have the best player in the world who doesn't go on International duty and plenty of time off to recover on international breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

But Lallana had a mare, so that might drop his ridiculous price down a bit.
    Still like to see Lallana at Liverpool for the right price

I think the availability of the likes of Sanchez & Shaquiri highlights how ridiculous any sum over £20 million for Lallana is. I wouldn't touch him at what Southampton value him at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Just our luck that Sahcnez and Shaqiri are both having good tournaments, pushing the price up no doubt!

Shaqiri had a good game but i wouldnt say he's having a good World Cup all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think the availability of the likes of Sanchez & Shaquiri highlights how ridiculous any sum over £20 million for Lallana is. I wouldn't touch him at what Southampton value him at.

I can't disagree with that! The BBC evaluation of the England squad called Lallana "one-paced", and when you consider Sterling, Ibe and Suarez, he is certainly that. Closer to Coutinho or Henderson - not slow, but not explosive.

Sanchez and Shaqiri (we love our S's!) are far more explosive, so when a team is being defensive, we are not always hoping for that killer ball, we can take defenders on 1-2-1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think FIFA will try and kick this into touch; either throw out the case for lack of evidence, or give him a slap on the wrist, a regular 3-game ban for violent conduct.

It's a huge can of worms to apply retrospective punishment here. Sakho smashed his nose into a player's face last night, an act just as violent and more damaging, albeit not as 'weird'. How can they justify punishing Suarez, and not opening a case on all of the dozens of other violent acts undeteced by the referees throughout the World Cup?

Not defending Suarez btw: he's a tool and will ultimately deserve whatever punishment comes his way.

The thing is, biting isn't as violent as it is weird. It's just a bizarre thing to do on a football pitch, but here's this guy who has done it at least three times in his adult career.

Sakho last night was far more violent. Costa in the Spain v Netherlands match threw a headbutt too. I recall seeing a kind of facial gouge in the Argentina/Nigeria match yesterday as well. It was replayed once, never mentioned again.

Maybe the thing Liverpool (or whatever club he's with next season) need to do is get him to throw an elbow or a stamp instead of a bite. He'd get lesser suspensions.

I don't get why breaking some other persons skin integrity is not considered violent, it clearly is.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Doesn't mean it's a done deal by any means, ref: Ribery, but odds have been slashed big time this morning.
    Oddschecker @Oddschecker
    Liverpool now as short as 1/6 to sign Alexis Sanchez! Juventus also backed into 8/1 from 16/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's just the nature of the bite being really primal, feral, and/or childish that it gets that kind of attention. I'd love to know the severity of the bites he does. He probably gives it a good go. Also, it's getting more attention as it's the 3rd time, too AND to a lesser extent, it takes the heat off England's exit.

It's biting, it's violent of course. It can scar, like.

Imagine the awkwardness when young Suarez jr. in the office for biting another kid and they have to call the parents, to explain how this behaviour is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's going to bite if he has too :pac:

• Advertisement

brace yourselves..they are going to throw the book at Suarez imo and I have a feeling there will be a collective noise of jaws hitting the floor in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

brace yourselves..they are going to throw the book at Suarez imo and I have a feeling there will be a collective noise of jaws hitting the floor in a few hours.

Has to be a international ban only our us reds will run wild brother !

I don't get why breaking some other persons skin integrity is not considered violent, it clearly is.

It's definitely violent. No question. But it's not just the violence of the action that has him in hot water. It's because it's such a bizarre way to react. I think people comparing it to other elbows and loafs are pointing out that other acts that are just as violent but that do more harm get lesser punishments and a quieter reaction. They're not saying that biting is less violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it's a done deal by any means, ref: Ribery, but odds have been slashed big time this morning.

Interesting. Trying not to get hopes up. Thompsons words yesterday would have been all we talked about had it not been for something else that happened. Cant remember what is was though.

Echo running story by James Pearce saying Moreno deal is as good as dead short of LFC raising there valuation to 20m at least.

Sevilla sporting director Ramon Rodríguez Verdejo
    “My feeling is that the negotiations are paralysed and I don’t see any hint that they will be restarted. We put a price on our players which we believe to be appropriate. Whoever wants to buy, can buy, and if you can’t..."

Personal opinion? Or has stuff been leaked?

Id be surprised if he plays in the WC again.

He's going to bite if he has too :pac:

I still can't believe that the US 'soccer' chant is "I believe that we will win". :pac:

Also, Teddy Goalsevelt? :D

All you can do is laugh.

Echo running story by James Pearce saying Moreno deal is as good as dead short of LFC raising there valuation to 20m at least.

Sevilla sporting director Ramon Rodríguez Verdejo

This is near Dani Alves levels of stupidity, again. Sigh.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/luis-suarez-uruguay-striker-s-bite-hearing-to-continue-1.1846073

FIFA’s disciplinary hearing into Luis Suarez for biting will resume today, according to the head of the Uruguay Football Association.
    The independent disciplinary committee met until late last night without coming to a verdict on the case of the Liverpool striker who has been charged with misconduct for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini.
    Uruguay FA president Wilmar Valdez emerged from the Copacabana Palace hotel in Rio de Janeiro shortly after midnight local time to say the hearing would continue today. Mr Valdez said: “We know they met for a long time but we don’t know if that means a good or a bad situation. They will continue in the morning.”
    However there are influential voices who are trying to bring pressure to bear for the player to be dealt with more leniently.
    According to Uruguay newspaper Subrayado, the most powerful figures in South American football gathered in the Copacabana Palace to try to secure a much less severe sanction.
    These included Argentina’s long-standing vice-president Julio Grondona who is second only to Sepp Blatter in the pecking order, the president of CONMEBOL Eugenio Figueredo and his predecessor, Nicolas Leoz, who are both Uruguayan.

This is near Dani Alves levels of stupidity, again. Sigh.

He's hardly that good, is he?

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    Personal opinion? Or has stuff been leaked?

Id be surprised if he plays in the WC again.

just my opinion GAf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Six match international ban is what seems to be getting banded about since last night.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Six match international ban is what seems to be getting banded about since last night.

Would be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Knex. wrote: »
    Would be fair.

Would shut down the soccer forum, more like.

Knex. wrote: »
    Would be fair.

I know that would mean him out of the World Cup but all considered it would seem very lenient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I know that would mean him out of the World Cup but all considered it would seem very lenient

I think that's light! I was thinking more like 8/10 games, but also International only. Considering his prior for hand-balling on the line 4 years ago, never mind the biting incidents in club football, they have no reason to go easy on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/luis-suarez-uruguay-striker-s-bite-hearing-to-continue-1.1846073

FIFA’s disciplinary hearing into Luis Suarez for biting will resume today, according to the head of the Uruguay Football Association.
    The independent disciplinary committee met until late last night without coming to a verdict on the case of the Liverpool striker who has been charged with misconduct for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini.
    Uruguay FA president Wilmar Valdez emerged from the Copacabana Palace hotel in Rio de Janeiro shortly after midnight local time to say the hearing would continue today. Mr Valdez said: “We know they met for a long time but we don’t know if that means a good or a bad situation. They will continue in the morning.”
    However there are influential voices who are trying to bring pressure to bear for the player to be dealt with more leniently.
    According to Uruguay newspaper Subrayado, the most powerful figures in South American football gathered in the Copacabana Palace to try to secure a much less severe sanction.
    These included Argentina’s long-standing vice-president Julio Grondona who is second only to Sepp Blatter in the pecking order, the president of CONMEBOL Eugenio Figueredo and his predecessor, Nicolas Leoz, who are both Uruguayan.

If Suarez doesn't get a lengthy international ban it's a bit ridiculous! Biting may not be as dangerous as some of the other offences that have been and will be committed during the World Cup, but nonetheless it's completely unacceptable!

Anything from 6-12 I would consider alright, tbh.

Its hard to justify even 12 though, when you look at Leonardo getting 4 for shattering a cheekbone and putting a guy in hospital for almost 4 months with an elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would shut down the soccer forum, more like.

I doubt they are taking that into account....but you'd never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I think that's light! I was thinking more like 8/10 games, but also International only. Considering his prior for hand-balling on the line 4 years ago, never mind the biting incidents in club football, they have no reason to go easy on him...

He handled the ball 4 yrs ago aswell so lets throw the book at him! FFs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

6 match international ban?

Other fans be like: But what do we get? We spent all day on that thread yesterday, WHAT DO WE GET?!!!

The fairly reliable Argentinan media source, Varsky Sports says we're looking at 21 year old Colombian CB/LB, Alvarez Balanta from River Plate. I've watched diddly squat of River Plate over the past 2 years after they were relegated in such dramatic fashion so I won't comment, but here's a piece on him -

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/06/14/eder-alvarez-balanta-scout-report/

edit - Porto apparently want him to replace Mangala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

That piece of bare faced cheating is one of the reasons I was delighted to see him sign for LFC . If he did something like that to win the league for LFC I wouldn't care at all . Any player who is willing to do that to win is a good player to have .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

The fairly reliable Argentinan media source, Varsky Sports says we're looking at 21 year old Colombian CB/LB, Alvarez Balanta from River Plate. I've watched diddly squat of River Plate over the past 2 years after they were relegated in such dramatic fashion so I won't comment, but here's a piece on him -

The bolded bit is a good sign!

I was thinking 6-8 internationals due to it being relatively harmless compared to precedents and the fact that there isn't a 100% conclusive angle available. Although for the record I think it's fairly evident.

• Advertisement

Porto!? Brendan, sign him up!

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He's hardly that good, is he?

Potentially, yes, and I say that as a self confessed Dani Alves fan bordering on fanboism that those who know me back in 2005-2007 will tell you . Sure, my PSN tag is partly based on Dani Alves :pac: Different stage of the careers when we were linked with Dani Alves then and Moreno now it must be noted, but I was more referencing the headache of dealing with Sevilla. There's certain clubs who will always be a pain to deal with for me - Porto, Sevilla and clubs in both Russia and Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ha, I was going to post the exact same reaction.. Get on it before Porto do! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Porto!? Brendan, sign him up!

Hopefully we get him before porto, or we'll be trying to sign him for 30 million next year off them.

Porto are absolutely fantastic at scouting the best South American talent and introducing them to Europe, and then flogging them for crazy money.

such a successful model and track record.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement