Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

joe123 wrote: »
    So say Sturridge does his hamstring, hes out for 6 weeks. You would be happy with Borini/Lambert leading the line?

Actually yes, I really think they both have a lot to offer and we wouldn't have to play both together.

Also just think of all the other areas of the squad we could strengthen. Strikers win matches, defences win titles after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

greendom wrote: »
    When Lukaku replaced him the upgrade in quality was very noticeable. But maybe Origi had worked the US defenders ragged, making life easier for him.

Lukaku came on when the US players were barely running on fumes. Origi played very well when he was on. Worked the keeper a few times, hit the woodwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Watching Arg vs Bel to keep an eye on Origi. Twenty minutes in and he hasn't seen the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is Origi really that good? He scored 5 goals in 30 games last season... Is he a winger or a striker? I haven't got to see any of Belgium's games besides the USA game so I haven't seen much of him

He was only 18 for most of the last season and often played wide rather than through the centre. Still a bit raw as you would expect being so young but huge potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mosstin wrote: »
    Watching Arg vs Bel to keep an eye on Origi. Twenty minutes in and he hasn't seen the ball.

Must be ****e so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

He'll probably score a goal now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Origi starts once again for Belgium.

Yedlin to get a trial with us during Liverpool's US Tour.

Yedlin is paid $92k a season. It will be a shock for him if he ends up in the EPL next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yedlin is paid $92k a season. It will be a shock for him if he ends up in the EPL next year :pac:

No harm in the trial anyway. Looked really good in that game when he came on. Would be very cheap and likely make his money back in marketing given the US owners and him being a US international. A HUGE amount of people over there were watching that game and he was the brightest player. No harm I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

NukaCola wrote: »
    Must be ****e so

In fairness though Lukaku impressed me more in a cameo than Origi did in 90 mins against the US. I accept that was against a team dead on their feet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Fescue wrote: »
    Danny cool would probably work.

I've given myself a hernia trying to think of a word that rhymes with Sturridge.

Porrridge. Not exactly a catchy word but should keep us going till half time anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Origi was excellent vs the US, only mistake was not anticipating the defender missing the ball as it rolled across the box. Hold up, pace and intelligence were fully on show. The US were dead on their feet when Lukaku came on.

In fairness though Lukaku impressed me more in a cameo than Origi did in 90 mins against the US. I accept that was against a team dead on their feet though.

In fairness this is the first time a lot of people are seeing Origi in this world cup. They haven't watched him play club football. Its not the best way of seeing how good a player is.

I'm not saying i know a lot about him, just that I'm not judging him on his WC performances and certainly not in 20 mins like another poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

8-10 wrote: »
    No harm in the trial anyway. Looked really good in that game when he came on. Would be very cheap and likely make his money back in marketing given the US owners and him being a US international. A HUGE amount of people over there were watching that game and he was the brightest player. No harm I say.

I wasn't belittling him (if thats the implication?, i dont know).

In fairness this is the first time a lot of people are seeing Origi in this world cup. They haven't watched him play club football. Its not the best way of seeing how good a player is.

I'm not saying i know a lot about him, just that I'm not judging him on his WC performances and certainly not in 20 mins like another poster.

Christ, hark at thee. I mentioned that 20 minutes in he hadn't a touch of the ball. This is down to the system that Wilmots is playing rather than anything on the player's part. Rein it back a bit there eh?

Christ, hark at thee. I mentioned that 20 minutes in he hadn't a touch of the ball. This is down to the system that Wilmots is playing rather than anything on the player's part. Rein it back a bit there eh?

Sorry mate, but the way you left the post earlier made it seem like you weren't impressed by a player watching just 20 mins. Had you followed up the statement with the above i wouldn't have critiqued the post harshly.

• Advertisement

Origi the youngest player since the 50's to play a WC QF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Origi the youngest player since the 50's to play a WC QF?

What age was Terry Phelan during USA 94?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Augmerson wrote: »
    What age was Terry Phelan during USA 94?

We didn't get to the quarters in 94, he was 27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Origi was excellent vs the US, only mistake was not anticipating the defender missing the ball as it rolled across the box. Hold up, pace and intelligence were fully on show. The US were dead on their feet when Lukaku came on.

All he was missing was a goal, had a few decent opportunities.

He does look an exciting prospect.

10351151_10152665038802573_8900632928539275072_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

5live wrote: »
    Porrridge. Not exactly a catchy word but should keep us going till half time anyway.

Ok I have been beavering away on the Daniel Sturridge chant.

The tune its to be set against is "Love and Marriage" made famous by Sinatra.

So it goes....
    Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Sturidge,
    He's even faster than a horse and carriage,
    This I tell you brother,
    He gets a goal and then another.

Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Sturridge,
    He's a striker that you can't disparage,
    Ask the local gentry,
    They will tell you play em' centrally.

Try, Try, Try to stop him scoring,
    Its an illusion,
    Try, Try, Try and you will only come,
    To this conclusion.

Faster than a horse and carriage,
    Dad was told by mother,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I didn't know Big Sam was part of Belgium's Coaching Staff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This I tell you brother,

Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Sturridge,
    He's a striker you can't disparage,
    Ask the local gentry,
    They will tell you play em' centrally.

Try, Try, Try to stop him scoring,
    Its an illusion,
    Try, Try, Try and you will only come,
    To this conclusion.

Dad was told by mother,

You need 11 syllables for the 2nd lines.

"He's even faster than a horse and carriage"
    "He's a striker that you can't disparage" would work.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Anyone know if there is any truth to Agger's house being up for sale and also one of his restaurants in Lark Lane too?

Ok I have been beavering away on the Daniel Sturridge chant.

The tune its to be set against is "Love and Marriage" made famous by Sinatra.

So it goes....

Genius. You Panda Sap Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Are people only realising now that we bought Lambert to play games?

If Sturridge is out Lambert it is. We'll be in for a WF i would think and try and add goals elsewhere in the team. And even though we are in the CL i still dont see us signing top quality just yet, so the likes of Di Maria and Sanchez will probably be out for us unless the club plays a blinder in the transfer market and I'm just not that confident they will.

But then maybe that's why Danny was so high up on BR's shopping list maybe he wanted to get him in while Suarez was here so he could learn a few things off him and then when Suarez was going to leave or be sold Danny would be ready to step in and take over as the main goal threat .
    I can see Danny having a damn fine season next year once he is kept fit . It should also give lamber time to settle in so that's a good thing . I think BR might have earmarked Sturrigde because he knows city won't come in for him . Sturrigde won't leave for Chelsea and then that leaves arsenal and man utd . We won't sell him to man utd so that only leaves arsenal as a viable move and I'm sure LFC won't sell them a player too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Rumour has it Ryan Bertrand is a done deal for £6 million.

alan-partridge-shock-o.gif

6 million sterling for Bertrand. S'ok I guess. A season ago a few posters on here would have be glad to have him. His stock seems to have fallen since his loan to Villa where he wasn't very good but then neither were Villa. Good squad player. I would like to see us go back in for Moreno though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

That CL qualification is really drawing in the star players to take us to the next level.:(

If we're selling Suarez to Barca, surely there's enough Money there to get Moreno or somebody just as Good, right? Right?

Otherwise...
    PABglfp.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rodgers is clearly trying to emulate the legendary England World Cup side of 2014. He needn't look past Danny Welbeck to replace Suarez and we're pretty much good to go.

Haven't seen much Bertrand before his Villa loan spell and he wasn't very good, or even showed signs that he could be good but it is a small sample size. Also he was playing in a team that are just awful and especially after January where they were putrid, i mean just terrible. Something like 8 points from a possible 45 points, but thats beside the point.

Haven't seen much Bertrand before his Villa loan spell and he wasn't very good, or even showed signs that he could be good but it is a small sample size. Also he was playing in a team that are just awful and especially after January where they were putrid, i mean just terrible. Something like 8 points from a possible 45 points, but thats beside the point.
    No.
    No, that is just the point, Nuka.

I assume Rodgers has seen something or knows him from his time at chelsea and thinks he can do a job for us.

I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If we're selling Suarez to Barca, surely there's enough Money there to get Moreno or somebody just as Good, right? Right?

Otherwise...
    PABglfp.gif

Oh man the memories of Blink 182! Been a long time since I listened to them.

Let's go, don't wait, this night's almost over
    Honest, let's make this night last forever
    Forever and ever, let's make this last forever
    Forever and ever, let's make this last forever....

Gonna miss you Luis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm no more skeptical about this signing than I was with Sturridge. Rodgers has worked with him before so let's just hope he's seen something in him that warrants a place in the team.

And that's the Problem I have with both Bertrand and Richards (Micah).

Even if both are Good, they have played in less Competitive Games, than most of their Peers. So it's definitely going to take them awhile, to settle.

And It's not like we're getting Top Football Prospects, with alot of Upsides.

Bertrand's 24 and Micah is already 26. At those Ages, they should have at least been Challenging for a Starting Berth, in their Respective Clubs.

But Nope! Both are still Wallowing in the Benches. Or in the Case of Richards, in the Treatment Table.

And that's not Good for a Club looking to Challenge for the Title of at least compete for Top 4.

It seems like a Waste of Money to me, unless we're selling Enrique. But why would we sell Enrique, when Bertrand's not even as Good as him?

If we're replacing Enrique, we might as well Spend some more and get someone that's actually better.

Hopefully, this Rumor is just Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Where's the Bertrand deal being reported?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Where's the Bertrand deal being reported?

Only place i can find it is Liverpool-kop.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

The Echo are running with the story that Sanchez favours Arsenal over other offers...

It's depressing :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-target-alexis-sanchez-7377764?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

0028673 wrote: »
    The Echo are running with the story that Sanchez favours Arsenal over other offers...

It's depressing :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-target-alexis-sanchez-7377764?

In my experience it's best to save your depression credits until it actually happens or you'll have to revert to anger a lot quicker

*Denial tokens used: 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sanchez to Arsenal ?
    Bertrand rumours ?

PJg_RG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just saw this on BA thread.

sku58336_6_1.jpg

Only €4.99 and not €79,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Check the website name for that bottle opener.. it's written, he'll play in red next season... the bitey little scamp!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Where can I buy one of those ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I guess you could say we nearly won the league playing jon flanagan out of position but still, **** that, the bertrand stuff can get in the bin. I dont see the appeal. Serious dissapointing transfer if it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

klose wrote: »
    I guess you could say we nearly won the league playing jon flanagan out of position but still, **** that, the bertrand stuff can get in the bin. I dont see the appeal. Serious dissapointing transfer if it happened.

It is an underwhelming transfer but one that gives us cover in that position i guess which with the season ahead is vital. With Enrique, Flano, Johnson and Bertrand that surely is decent cover. I have no problem with BR adding depth to the team. The concern for me was going from moreno to bertrand seems unusual. Almost like it was a vital position to strengthen initially and now to a transfer that suggests BR just wants cover there. Bertrand was decent at Chelsea so if he can bring that form to Liverpool he could be a decent backup option i guess.

Im concerned at general at the transfers so far to be honest. 3 Southampton players potentially for the bones of 50m, Villa/Chelsea reserve is all good for abit of depth but If suarez leaves i dont want the transfer fees diluted to buy 3-4 overpriced player like moreno, lovren , markovic.. players will potential .With that kind of money in our pockets we should surely be looking for the kind of player arsenal and utd are being linked too. The vidal's, Hummels, Di Maria sanchez and other established class players must be brought in and attracted to the club. It would be disaster to lose suarez and see sanchez going to arsenal as well.

Maybe it just we have been so burnt we with overpriced transfers in the past that its hard not to worry the suarez money will be wasted.Big few weeks ahead.

viper006 wrote: »
    It is an underwhelming transfer but one that gives us cover in that position i guess which with the season ahead is vital. With Enrique, Flano, Johnson and Bertrand that surely is decent cover. I have no problem with BR adding depth to the team. The concern for me was going from moreno to bertrand seems unusual. Almost like it was a vital position to strengthen initially and now to a transfer that suggests BR just wants cover there. Bertrand was decent at Chelsea so if he can bring that form to Liverpool he could be a decent backup option i guess.

Im concerned at general at the transfers so far to be honest. 3 Southampton players potentially for the bones of 50m, Villa/Chelsea reserve is all good for abit of depth but If suarez leaves i dont want the transfer fees diluted to buy 3-4 overpriced player like moreno, lovren , markovic.. player will potential .Maybe it just we have been so burnt we with overpriced transfers in the past that its hard not to worry the suarez money will be wasted.

Not too worried yet. I would be if Bertrand was seen as a first choice recruit but until I see him leaning it's just speculation. Lallana is a good addition at a price which probably isn't as high as reported.
    Sanchez would soften the blow slightly of losing Luis but if he's not interested - Twitter knows nothing yet - then we have to think big and recruit someone who is top notch.
    Lovren would also be a good signing - good defender and pops up with a few goals and is less accident prone than Skrtel. If the price quoted is what we have offered - 20 million - then we're just not very good at this buying lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

I wouldnt say were not very good at this buying lark, in our scenario its overpay for a bit of quality or risk playing inferior players next season - personally I'd rather we shop at Marks n Spencer than Lidl & Aldi

bitemeluis wrote: »
    I wouldnt say were not very good at this buying lark, in our scenario its overpay for a bit of quality or risk playing inferior players next season - personally I'd rather we shop at Marks n Spencer than Lidl & Aldi

I would. Why do we have to overpay? Why can we not buy overseas? More value for starters.
    Edit: Southampton is M & S??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I would. Why do we have to overpay? Why can we not buy overseas? More value for starters.
    Edit: Southampton is M & S??

And West Ham is a car boot sale where you get rid of all your rubbish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement