Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

bitemeluis wrote: »
    I wouldnt say were not very good at this buying lark, in our scenario its overpay for a bit of quality or risk playing inferior players next season - personally I'd rather we shop at Marks n Spencer than Lidl & Aldi

Yes but maybe it's a case of get the squad filler now because once the Luis deal is finalised and signed off clubs will know LFC have more money and up the prices . So it could be best for the club to get the fillers in place now . Once Luis is sold then you will see the transfer market kick in properly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Dejan Lovren seems to suggest in this interview that he might be interested in coming to Liverpool.
    Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool."

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1935201/southampton-defender-dejan-lovren-wants-liverpool-move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

mosstin wrote: »
    I would. Why do we have to overpay? Why can we not buy overseas? More value for starters.
    Edit: Southampton is M & S??

This year - overseas = Lidl & Aldi (except for the usual teams where their players cannot be enticed to Liverpool as they already have champions league football)

an yes, this year Southampton is M&S due to the quality, next year back to Aldi with them no doubt

Fescue wrote: »
    Dejan Lovren seems to suggest in this interview that he might be interested in coming to Liverpool.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1935201/southampton-defender-dejan-lovren-wants-liverpool-move

Bit disrespectful towards Southampton tbh. He should pull that ego in as he'll be just another player if he moves to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fescue wrote: »

"Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool."

That's no use, we'll definitely need his legs.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bit disrespectful towards Southampton tbh. He should pull that ego in as he'll be just another player if he moves to Liverpool

Well it's not really at all . Obviously the chap has ambition . He moved to Southampton because he liked the project . Now it's going pear shaped he is thinking I have another offer and would like to persue it .

Ah, don't think it's cool to say that, in fairness.

Has a team every bought 3 players from the same team in the one transfer window before?

Well it's not really at all . Obviously the chap has ambition . He moved to Southampton because he liked the project . Now it's going pear shaped he is thinking I have another offer and would like to persue it .

Meh, to me he's just another classless footballer who should respect his club.

However, if he does the business for the LFC should he arrive, I'll not care too much.

Meh, to me he's just another classless footballer who should respect his club.

However, if he does the business for the LFC should he arrive, I'll not care too much.

In fairness as much as we all love Luis he has been classless too . The only reason for the apology was down to the fact it seemed to be Barcelona who wanted it issued . So the majority of footballers have no class .

With Suarez gone, and Stevie on the way out, that will be just another player amongst just other players unfortunately - Suarez has shown how valuable the quality of a winner is, no doubt raising the games of others around him, Sterling, Couthino & Sturridge all have raised their games considerably - If we dont replace Suarez with another figurehead with an excessive winning mentality then I fear next, and following seasons will be back to mediocrity.

If he is not replaced by similar then I hope I am wrong, and it has been BR who is responsible for the winning mentality

• Advertisement

In fairness as much as we all love Luis he has been classless too . The only reason for the apology was down to the fact it seemed to be Barcelona who wanted it issued . So the majority of footballers have no class .

Yeah exactly, most footballers have little loyalty and fcuk all class.

Exactly , i honestly believe Suarez owes Liverpool one more season because of all the crap the club have stood by and watched him do . He has his transfer to Barcelona and couldn't give a monkeys now though .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I know it's football and these things happen but I wish we'd stop raiding Southampton for players. How would we like it if PSG or Barca or Madrid signed 3 of our best players away?

Surely we can find other CBs in the market who are interested in the Liverpool project? We've got a bit in the kitty, we've got Champo League football.

It smacks of a really lazy scouting team. I can picture them meeting up in the pub.

"Right, ****....we need to get some new heads."

"Ah bollix. I'm not ****ing flying all over Europe this summer, the World Cup is on. Here show me the paper."

*Sips beer....it's a Carlsberg*

"Here we go, Southampton did well last season, lets just buy all their good players."

"You genius. More Bacon bits?"

"Yeah sound!"

Southampton have lost so much is such a short
    space of time, I feel for their fans alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

To be fair to footballers, their careers are very short. In the time they have, they need to maximise their earnings so as to create a financial foundation for the rest of their lives. It's also natural that they want to reach the highest level possible. The ways and means of doing this may not always be in sync with football supporters but the approach of each is completely different. Supporters have a romantic attraction to their clubs, footballers are simply career minded professionals.

Exactly , i honestly believe Suarez owes Liverpool one more season because of all the crap the club have stood by and watched him do . He has his transfer to Barcelona and couldn't give a monkeys now though .

He's owes the club nothing.

He's helped us get back into the CL and we make a £50m profit on him.

If there was a clause and someone met it what can we do?

With Suarez gone, and Stevie on the way out, that will be just another player amongst just other players unfortunately - Suarez has shown how valuable the quality of a winner is, no doubt raising the games of others around him, Sterling, Couthino & Sturridge all have raised their games considerably - If we dont replace Suarez with another figurehead with an excessive winning mentality then I fear next, and following seasons will be back to mediocrity.

If he is not replaced by similar then I hope I am wrong, and it has been BR who is responsible for the winning mentality

That winning mentality is all down to Steve peters and BR .

Something says to me about BR that he doesn't want to be second best . The man wants and strives to be the best . I don't think Suarez was the driving force last season it was a team thing . You look at the likes of Henderson , Flanagan , sterling and Coutinho . They all played with a swagger . As talented as Luis is to me the whole squad stood up last year and where counted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Grayditch wrote: »

Koeman will probably raid the eredevisie and replenish their squad for a quarter of what they sold and they will be fine. Financially, southamptom have already "won" the transfer window and its barely open.

When was the last time one club bought 3 players of the same club in one window? Cant ever remeber it happening.

Must be a kick in the teeth for them tbh.

In another era they'd have a chance of pushing on next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Augmerson wrote: »
    I know it's football and these things happen but I wish we'd stop raiding Southampton for players. How would we like it if PSG or Barca or Madrid signed 3 of our best players away?

Surely we can find other CBs in the market who are interested in the Liverpool project? We've got a bit in the kitty, we've got Champo League football.

It smacks of a really lazy scouting team. I can picture them meeting up in the pub.

"Right, ****....we need to get some new heads."

"Ah bollix. I'm not ****ing flying all over Europe this summer, the World Cup is on. Here show me the paper."

*Sips beer....it's a Carlsberg*

"Here we go, Southampton did well last season, lets just buy all their good players."

"You genius. More Bacon bits?"

"Yeah sound!"

You might wanna send in a CV, seems like you could do better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I dont want anyone at liverpool who doesnt want to be there so why are we still persueing sanchez, its obvious he doesnt want to come so fcuk him

He's owes the club nothing.

He's helped us get back into the CL and we make a £50m profit on him.

If there was a clause and someone met it what can we do?

Nothing the club can do if there is a clause in the contract . To me he does owe the club . The fact he angled for a move to arsenal even though he was still serving a 10 game ban . Then the whole Evra thing . I think LFC did more for him then he did for LFC . So maybe he could have said I'll give it one more year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Because he's a very good player and would improve the team. Who cares what his initial feelings about signing are. If we can convince him to sign it would be a signing with the potential to really mitigate the loss of luis. It'd be shocking business not to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

That's no use, we'll definitely need his legs.
    Its the way transfers are going.

We pay for his head this window.

Next window his legs.

Then his body in the next window and so on.

Cash on delivery.

That winning mentality is all down to Steve peters and BR .

Something says to me about BR that he doesn't want to be second best . The man wants and strives to be the best . I don't think Suarez was the driving force last season it was a team thing . You look at the likes of Henderson , Flanagan , sterling and Coutinho . They all played with a swagger . As talented as Luis is to me the whole squad stood up last year and where counted .

Maybe, the results were good prior to Suarez return last season, and confidence will be high next season

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    Its the way transfers are going.

We pay for his head this window.

Next window his legs.

Then his body in the next window and so on.

Cash on delivery.

Jaysus, he'll have to bond with himself before bonding with the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I feel for Jay Rodriguez. He'll be the one left. Poor bastard.

What's Southampton's buzz anyway? Are they just cashing in on the success?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

You might wanna send in a CV, seems like you could do better!

Ah I've only got it on a floppy disk will they accept that?

Maybe, the results were good prior to Suarez return last season, and confidence will be high next season

They were ok.

3 wins all 1-0

A draw v Swansea and a loss at home to Southampton.

It was only when Suarez came into the team that the goals started flowing.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ah I've only got it on a floppy disk will they accept that?

They might , just ask mike65 if you can use his dial up .

• Advertisement

They were ok.

3 wins all 1-0

A draw v Swansea and a loss at home to Southampton.

It was only when Suarez came into the team that the goals started flowing.

Ah I think it's time for Daniel Sturrigde to shine . To me BR has been prepping him to lead the line . That's why I think the deal was signed off so quickly last January .

Ah I think it's time for Daniel Sturrigde to shine . To me BR has been prepping him to lead the line . That's why I think the deal was signed off so quickly last January .

Sturridge is a very good striker but lets not kid ourselves he's not a 1/4 the player Suarez is.

He needs a top class player in beside him when Suarez goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sturridge is a very good striker but lets not kid ourselves he's not a 1/4 the player Suarez is.

A bit disrespectful to sturridge there saying hes not even 1/4 the player

Agreed. We've been linked with Muriel in the past and I think he'd be a good addition. Huge potential.

ricero wrote: »

A 1/3 then?

Seriously though, he'll never be in the same world class bracket and that's just the reality.

That's not a criticism of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ricero wrote: »

He is not though Sturridge has the ability to get goals but a lot of the time once he gets a goal he sees that as job done and switches off for the rest of the game. Suarez on the other hand goes from first whistle to last even if he has got 10 goals.

Sturridge has benefited from being backing man, it has limited all the things that make him so frustrating, and that dynamic should be maintained Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

gosplan wrote: »
    I feel for Jay Rodriguez. He'll be the one left. Poor bastard.

What's Southampton's buzz anyway? Are they just cashing in on the success?

Pretty much. Owner doesn't want to be there. Her Father bought the club and was into it then passed away. She has no interest and tried to sell already and only backed out temporarily as Cortese quit and Pochettino threatened to walk.

This is very old now but provides some background;

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mauricio-pochettino-threatens-to-quit-southampton-if-nicola-cortese-leaves-8620017.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lovren throwing the toys out of the pram this morning in the press. Not really sure if I want a player like that at Liverpool, although he would definitely be an improvement on Skrtel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sturridge was at his best when Suarez was serving his ban at season start ,I feel he loves being the main striker and seems to thrive on it ,wasn't he top scorer in pl before Suarez made his return after the ban ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

A 1/3 then?

Seriously though, he'll never be in the same world class bracket and that's just the reality.

That's not a criticism of him.

On Technical ability id but Sturridge on the same level its just Luis desire and unpredictability that puts him ahead.

• Advertisement

It seems to me that some people may not realise just how technically amazing Suarez is. I love Danny but he's not in the same league. It's like comparing Walcott to Ronaldo!!!

Dcully wrote: »
    Sturridge was at his best when Suarez was serving his ban at season start ,I feel he loves being the main striker and seems to thrive on it ,wasn't he top scorer in pl before Suarez made his return after the ban ?

He had 3 goals after 5 games.

No idea if that was top scorer, could well have been.

Sturridge scored in the 4 games in a row after Suarez's return :)

On Technical ability id but Sturridge on the same level its just Luis desire and unpredictability that puts him ahead.

Really?

I'd have thought Suarez is streaks ahead on this score

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It seems to me that some people may not realise just how technically amazing Suarez is. I love Danny but he's not in the same league. It's like comparing Walcott to Ronaldo!!!

very true, walcott is much faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Add Suarez and Sturridge together and you still only get half a Doni

NukaCola wrote: »
    Add Suarez and Sturridge together and you still only get half a Doni

Minestrone, pepperoni, berlasconi aaaay we love Doni. (Blatant pseudo plagiarism)

*off to listen to the Luca Toni song again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Doni Kebab....nearly that time of year again.

To be honest a striker to me should be judged on the goals they score . I don't care if Sturrigde stands around picking his ho** for an hour . The chap is a goal scorer and that's a big thing to have in a team .
    I'm contemplating doing a full break down of Suarez and Sturrigde to see who scored the important goals .

Any truth in the speculation that Ashley Cole could appear in red next season - I think he would strengthen the squad

• Advertisement

To be honest a striker to me should be judged on the goals they score . I don't care if Sturrigde stands around picking his ho** for an hour . The chap is a goal scorer and that's a big thing to have in a team .
    I'm contemplating doing a full break down of Suarez and Sturrigde to see who scored the important goals .

Of course but to judge them only on that would be incorrect.

It's certainly the 1st thing you'd look from your strikers though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement