Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

klose wrote: »
    Nice message he posted, id say he will popular with fans

313616.jpg

Brendon.?

Pedant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nice message he posted, id say he will popular with fans

313616.jpg

Brendon.?

Looks like livinginkorea ain't as good a teacher as they claim ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Livinginkorea must be getting compensation for every exclamation mark he gets his students to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He said he was teaching Sanchez....don't let it get out.

Can he spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mosstin wrote: »
    Pedant.

We sold him to Zaragoza in 2009, keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Markovic looks very promising but 25m is fairly steep. Some great options in attack now though with added pace and guile on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

When you're trying to sign top players, you're inherently taking more risks.

Them's the breaks.
    I'd rather be worried about wasting a few bob on Markovich or Lallana than throwing money at players like Aspas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Origi deal done apparently.

BBC just stuck it up on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From the BBC website.
    Liverpool FC have agreed a deal to sign Belgium striker Divock Origi from Lille for a fee which could reach £10m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

'Could reach 10m'

Not much risk there at all for a decent prospect.
    Jolly well done.

Big money for Origi.

5 goals in 30 apps for Lille last season. I seen nothing of him before the world cup. I know Nuri is a fan.

Is the plan to loan him back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Again big money on a player that has potential but not the proven quality we really need.louvren and markovic were signed for 15m combined last season yet we are paying 40 m now .it's crazy money . Louvren will slot in well but markovic is a big gamble for that money. Would much preferred a more established name

Great we signing players quickly but I'm not to be excited by any of them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wouldn't consider 10 million big money...Aspas cost nearly that for his corners, Alberto to chauffeur the lads around....we could be getting a full player this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Vicxas wrote: »
    Origi deal done apparently.

BBC just stuck it up on Facebook.

Does he go back on loan for a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Big money for Origi.

5 goals in 30 apps for Lille last season. I seen nothing of him before the world cup. I know Nuri is a fan.

Is the plan to loan him back then?

Only 12 starts and he was only 18 (19 in May)

Ive only seen him in the world cup but he looks quality.

Lots of pace, good touch and good awareness.

Looks a bit lazy, but id put that down to fear/nerves and not wanting to get involved in play enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wouldn't consider 10 million big money...Aspas cost nearly that for his corners, Alberto to chauffeur the lads around....we could be getting a full player this time.

You'd hope so seeing as we're only signing Lovren' s head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Really really happy with Markovic, was a quality player for benfica last season. I dont think hes a gamble atall, great player and only 20 years old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What I'd like to know is when our marquee signing will be.

Chelsea have Costa AND fabregas.

I'm worried about our champions league season. We need to club to stay in the champions league again.

• Advertisement

Coutinho and Sturridge were not marquee signings, but made such impacts that I would not have minded if we had spent 30m on either.

I guess that's the hope with Markovic. He is young, but I'd still have some trust in Rodgers and the transfer committee getting this right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

When I saw we signed another player

This must be our busiest summer for a long time transfer wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm worried about our champions league season. We need to club to stay in the champions league again.

Isn't that why they seem to be investing in a few rather than spunking all the money on a "big" name

#We'reNotSpurs

Di Marzo claiming that Real Madrid are now interested in Origi.

Close the deal lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We need to club to stay in the champions league again.

This needs to be our number one focus this season and beyond, i.e. making one of those slots ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We're not competing with Chelsea for 4th.

It's Arsenal, Utd and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Everton that we have to stay ahead of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

This needs to be our number one focus this season and beyond, i.e. making one of those slots ours.

this! we need to own a champions league spot, ala arsenal, but unlike them get some ambition. am i the only one excited by our non-marquee young team with some old heads around to steer them, could be something massive and the only way we can compete with city/chelsea. next season a test for rogers, but for his success so far should be given time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

As a Belgian who hopes Origi will become a fantastic player I'm delighted he chose Liverpool, I really believe that Rodgers will get the most out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seems to me the powers that be looked at Spurs dealings last summer and thought 'not bad'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is markovic good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Times running with this..It's now behind pay wall.
    Liverpool’s preparations for life without Luis Suárez have led to them closing in on deals for Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi and intensifying their efforts to convince Alexis Sánchez to be a makeweight in the move that will take the Uruguay international to Barcelona.
    A fee of about £25 million is close to being agreed with Benfica for Markovic, the Serbia winger, and Liverpool are hopeful that the deal will be completed this week. Markovic has attracted strong interest from Chelsea, who were believed to have first option to sign him, in the past 18 months but is understood to have set his heart on a move to Anfield.
    Belgium’s elimination from the World Cup has cleared the way for Liverpool to open talks with Origi, having agreed a fee for the teenager before the tournament began.
    Origi’s eyecatching form in Brazil prompted interest from several clubs but Liverpool had already stolen a march on their rival suitors by striking a deal with Lille which would see the 19-year-old spend next season on loan at the French club.
    The fee for Origi could eventually rise to £9.8 million but Liverpool regard believe that is a price worth paying for a player who is viewed as having more potential than Christian Benteke and Romelu Lukaku within the Belgian camp.
    Despite speculation that Suárez’s move from Liverpool to Barcelona is close to being finalised, negotiations are yet to be concluded as the two clubs endeavour to reach an agreement on payment structure and await a definitive response from Sánchez about his future.
    As reported in The Times on Thursday, Barcelona have told Liverpool that they are willing to trigger Suárez’s exit clause, a figure that Anfield sources claim is about of £80 million, but those at the Nou Camp maintain that it is closer to £63 million.
    That aspect of the deal is likely to prove a formality given Barcelona’s determination to sign the Uruguay forward with a greater complicating factor being Sánchez’s desire, or lack of it, to act as a makeweight in the transfer.
    Liverpool want the Chile international to replace Suárez and have not given up hope of signing him despite growing speculation that he would prefer to join either Arsenal or Juventus. Anfield officials are currently in discussions with Sánchez’s representatives but they will accept a straight cash deal for Suárez from Barcelona in the event of the winger resisting their overtures.
    In contrast to Sánchez, Dejan Lovren could not have made his intentions more clear in an interview with Sportske Novosti, the Croatian newspaper, in which he criticised Southampton for not accepting the Merseyside club’s £20 million offer to sign him and admitted “my head is already at Liverpool”.
    “Liverpool sent the offer and the club haven’t informed me,” the defender said. “Not even about the subsequent Liverpool bids. That wasn’t right. I found out about the bid from other people which disappointed me and I realised I’ve got no business staying at Southampton.
    “Liverpool sent a £20 million offer and they [Southampton] paid £9 million for me, so they would’ve earned twice the amount. At this point, I don’t know what I’ll do and I don’t like it. It was unbelievable that a few days ago I had an offer of £20 million pounds. It was in the morning and by the afternoon the club had said I was not for sale. Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

this! we need to own a champions league spot, ala arsenal, but unlike them get some ambition. am i the only one excited by our non-marquee young team with some old heads around to steer them, could be something massive and the only way we can compete with city/chelsea. next season a test for rogers, but for his success so far should be given time..

Arsenal have plenty of ambition, knocked us out on the way to winning an FA cup this season gone. It might have been the first trophy in awhile but they are trying. Dismissing them like that will be at our own expense. If they had gotten Suarez or Higuain before the start of last season they would have been extremely formidable and were it not for injuries they would have won the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Markovic, Origi, Lallana = potentially around £60m (or the guts of the Suarez money).

That's an awful lot of money for 3 players with little track record...

Are we a better team with these 3 in and Suarez out? Highly doubt it.

I don't know much about Markovic and Origi, but it just seems like we are blowing an awful lot of money on players who are not established and it feels like a risk. It feels a little like what Spurs did with the Bale money, but even their signings were a little more established than these 3 lads.

I'm no expert, and like I said my viewing of them is limited, but our targets/probable signings worry me.

It doesn't seem like we are taking advantage of our new found position amongst the elite of Europe once again.

There is little to go on with each player, they have proven very little and the sample size of their performances is very, very small in relation to their fee. They all have just a season or two of top level football under their belts, and it's hardly like any of those seasons have been so unbelievably impressive and standout that you could consider dismissing the fact that they haven't done it over several seasons...

They remind me a lot of the Aspas and Alberto signings in all the above regards.

I'm not going to rant and rave because it's impossible to know how they will turn out, so I will give them a chance and hold my judgement for the time being.

But they don't seem to be the type of signings I was hoping for, and it leads me to suspect that we're not willing to stretch (in terms of wages) for the established stars, instead hoping to unearth them - but we all know this can be very hit and miss.

I'm beginning to feel increasingly pessimistic about our chances next year. These don't appear to be the type of signings required to keep us in the top 4 in an ever-increasingly competitive league, let alone push on and perhaps win it.

I fear we may look on this summer as the missed opportunity and that the recent status quo will be returned to the Premier League next season, with us out of the CL spots yet again.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seems to me the powers that be looked at Spurs dealings last summer and thought 'not bad'.

These are really lazy comparisons.

Spurs in 12/13 were an average side with Bale in lethal form.

They sold Bale and replaced him with average players (Chadli and Paulinho) and two marquee signings in Soldado (disaster) and Lamela (injured most of the season). I think there are also big question marks over AVB after his Spurs tenure.

The funny thing is if soldado was still at Valencia, and Liverpool replaced bought him, the talk would be how we had bought proven quality.

We are trying to replace Suarez with Alexis Sanchez, pretty much the best replacement we could get for Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beware the summer of 2009, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What figure is being bandied about for Sanchez by the way? Noticed that I haven't seen anything on that front.

What figure is being bandied about for Sanchez by the way? Noticed that I haven't seen anything on that front.

I think around 30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

We will be ridiculously pacey on FIFA 15 i cant wait!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Spurs got 69 points this year with a starting striker for half the season that didn't score, playing Kyle Naughton as a full back half the season, playing a high line defense with Michael Dawson in it, with two managers that seemed tactically naive. I wouldn't do much comparing to them really, especially seeing as we're trying to replace Suarez with a player as good as Alexis Sanchez.

I see di Marzio reporting Real Madrid are after Divock Origi now. FINISH IT UP TO FÚCK IAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Beware the summer of 2009, that's all I'm saying.

Different scenarios no? Then it was a case of not investing enough to push on whilst we are clearly investing heavily this time round weather we push on or not remains to be seen. Christ that was a horrid window looking at the wiki page now.

I don't recall seeing any bids for Soldado, Paulinho, and the rest.

We're a week in to the transfer window, and we've no idea how much we're going to spend, or even how many players we will end up signing.

Before the Suarez talk we were told we had 70m or so to spend, so we're only just getting toward the 'replace Suarez' part of the financing, for one thing.

If we don't sign someone of a higher caliber to Markovic and Origi, fair enough, but I'd be quite surprised if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing any bids for Soldado, Paulinho, and the rest.

We're a week in to the transfer window, and we've no idea how much we're going to spend, or even how many players we will end up signing.

Before the Suarez talk we were told we had 70m or so to spend, so we're only just getting toward the 'replace Suarez' part of the financing, for one thing.

If we don't sign someone of a higher caliber to Markovic and Origi, fair enough, but I'd be quite surprised if that was the case.
    We won't be buying many more attacking players 1 at most. I was hoping we would keep Suarez & buy Sanchez but looks like we won't have either. TBH i surprised that we are rolling over & letting Suarez go so easily. We should say to Barca Suarez isnt going anywhere unless Sanchez joins us even if there is a release clause.

• Advertisement

On paper at the time spurs spent the bale money really well i thought, obviously didnt turn out well for em but i would have had any of the players they signed at the time. All the fees were realisitic aswell.

MD1990 wrote: »
    We won't be buying many more attacking players 1 at most. I was hoping we would keep Suarez & buy Sanchez but looks like we won't have either. TBH i surprised that we are rolling over & letting Suarez go so easily. We should say to Barca Suarez isnt going anywhere unless Sanchez joins us even if there is a release clause.

I don't think the issue with Sanchez is Barca not letting him come to us. The issue is that he seemingly wants to go to other clubs. You can't force someone to leave, just like you can't continually force someone to stay.

Baffled at how you can be so certain about how many attacking players we'll bring in as well.

Truth is, we know relatively fuck all, and we are making assumptions based on Twitter, which is proven wrong far more than it is ever proven right.

This is all fairly pointless conjecture until come end of August, which is why I'm surprised at people already starting with the doom and gloom.

I see nothing majorly wrong with anything that the club are seemingly doing at the moment. We have about 4-5 weeks before we ever need to begin to really assess our options and delve into panic, if its even needed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Key difference between the 2 situations: There's an incredibly good chance Brendan Rodgers actually wants all these players the club are buying.

I'm almost positive Daniel Levy bought the Magnificent 7 last year and said "there you go, do something with that lot".

Anyway, under Rodgers the club has shown a clear, tangible, steady progression. There was clear stagnation going on at Spurs for years. I see no reason why 6 or 7 additions should undo that progression.

In Lallana I think there's a seriously good footballer arriving. Origi brings pace, if nothing else, and pace is a valuable asset at the top level of football. Lambert is a lot better than people give him credit for and will provide at the least a bit of competition for places.

Rodgers can't please everybody. If he goes down the Ozil route (1 marquee signing) there's no guarantee of success as Arsenals 4th place shows. If he goes down the multiple signings route, he'll be accused of doing an AVB if it goes badly. If he goes a middle route (1 marquee and 3 squad players) he'll be accused of not doing enough when there was money still left to be spent.

I'd be comfortable enough with the idea Rodgers has a very good clue what he's doing and is excellent at his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On paper at the time spurs spent the bale money really well i thought, obviously didnt turn out well for em but i would have had any of the players they signed at the time. All the fees were realisitic aswell.

Nearly everyone thought Spurs spent brilliantly last Summer. Sure they entered the season with praise ringing in their ears and highly fancied to get a CL spot.

What derailed them was troubles with their manager, Lamela barely kicking a ball for them and Soldado more or less flopping.

Despite all that they still managed only 3 points less than the season before when Bale was performing heroics every week and finished only one position down the league than the season before (and that was only because we shot up from 7th to 2nd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think the issue with Sanchez is Barca not letting him come to us. The issue is that he seemingly wants to go to other clubs. You can't force someone to leave, just like you can't continually force someone to stay.

Baffled at how you can be so certain about how many attacking players we'll bring in as well.

Truth is, we know relatively fuck all, and we are making assumptions based on Twitter, which is proven wrong far more than it is ever proven right.

This is all fairly pointless conjecture until come end of August, which is why I'm surprised at people already starting with the doom and gloom.

I see nothing majorly wrong with anything that the club are seemingly doing at the moment. We have about 4-5 weeks before we ever need to begin to really assess our options and delve into panic, if its even needed then.
    I know that. Barca probaly want him to join us to speed up the Suarez deal. But we must insist Sanchez doesn't join Arsenal. We need to buy defenders & another GK so unless we are buying 9-10 players there is only 1 more attacking player coming if Origi & Markovic join.If Sanchez joins Arsenal with us losing Suarez it will us in a bad situation. But we do have Rodgers who is an exceptional manager at improving players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

MD1990 wrote: »

To lose Suarez and to end up with arsenal getting Sanchez is so bad its actually embarrassing.we hold all the cards here so why we would leave Suarez go leave and one of Barcelona's most productive player go to our main rivals is just crazy.I can't believe we are spending 65m on lallana, louvren and markovic it's pretty much the Suarez almost spend and no where near the quality replaced. We have to get Sanchez in this deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

viper006 wrote: »
    To lose Suarez and to end up with arsenal getting Sanchez is so bad its actually embarrassing.we hold all the cards here so why we would leave Suarez go leave and one of Barcelona's most productive player go to our main rivals is just crazy.I can't believe we are spending 65m on lallana, louvren and markovic it's pretty much the Suarez almost spend and no where near the quality replaced. We have to get Sanchez in this deal

true. we hold all the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We can't make the player come to Liverpool if he doesn't want to. I agree though that we should be making it clear that the Suarez deal is dependent on them not selling Sanchez to Arsenal at the very least.

Suarez is going because barca are meeting his release clause, and theres no arsing around like with arsenal as its set in stone by all accounts that whoever meets the release clause gets him (assuming he agrees to the deal too)
    Hes not leaving cause we want to sell him which is the way some people are acting like we are, and if sanchez dosent want to come here then thats tough **** on us nothing we can do either. Suarez will probably be the 3rd most expensive player ever and people are acting like we are getting hung out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

We can't make the player come to Liverpool if he doesn't want to. I agree though that we should be making it clear that the Suarez deal is dependent on them not selling Sanchez to Arsenal at the very least.
    There's a case to be made for Spurs having messed up not demanding a similar situation with Bale/Ozil last year. I.e. take Bale but for gods sake no selling anybody to Man U/Liverpool/arsenal/city/Chelsea thank you.

There's also a case to be made that Ozil was, overall, average and didn't do a whole lot for his price tag, so it made little difference in the end.

Anyway Barca will do exactly what Real did. Pay top dollar , buy the player, then sell their own asset to the highest bidder and/or a club the player wants to go to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement