Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

We can't make the player come to Liverpool if he doesn't want to. I agree though that we should be making it clear that the Suarez deal is dependent on them not selling Sanchez to Arsenal at the very least.

I agree if he wont come here fair enough but if the overall calibre of player we after is my main concern.players we are linked too and are going on to sign it seems we could land without cl football for the most part. To be potentially spending 60m plus on players who have little or no champions league expierence when we could and should be aiming higher makes we fear for next season. I really hope br has an ace up his sleeves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's a case to be made for Spurs having messed up not demanding a similar situation with Bale/Ozil last year. I.e. take Bale but for gods sake no selling anybody to Man U/Liverpool/arsenal/city/Chelsea thank you.

Actually, Levy did try it. Perez pretty much laughed in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

klose wrote: »
    On paper at the time spurs spent the bale money really well i thought, obviously didnt turn out well for em but i would have had any of the players they signed at the time. All the fees were realisitic aswell.

Spurs didn't do too badly when all's said and done. They achieved a similar points total to the previous two seasons. If we manage something similar next season (drop 3 pts) that would be fantastic for the club's medium term future and impressive for a team shorn of it's best player.

The mistake people made (including myself) was massively overrating an average squad based on the results they got due to Bale stealing a win out of nothing and thinking they could be turned into title contenders.

We, on the other hand have a far superiour squad minus Suarez than they had minus Bale.
    If worst comes to worst we'll have to fall back on the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Hendo, Gerrard, Allen, Sakho, Skrtel - none of which would be out of place in a CL team.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    They remind me a lot of the Aspas and Alberto signings in all the above regards.

There's really no comparison to be made.

It doesn't look like Origi is even going to play for us next season, so he's not a factor, Markovich featured heavily for a side that won the league and got to the EL final and while Lallana might be coming from a mid-table side like Aspas, an enormous gulf in class has grown in the last 2 or 3 years between mid-table in Spain and mid-table in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

So, any actual quotes from someone at Liverpool about Suarez?

I've only seen one quote that the papers are reusing from a "source".

Am I being naive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Some of the stuff here is comical. Do people really think that we could demand they don't sell Sanchez to arsenal?!? That's schoolyard stuff. It's up there with Ireland asking to be added to the World Cup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

One or two reports we are enquiring about Toby Alderweirld from Athletico Madrid. There were a few reports of him being unhappy with very few games last season. He had an impressive partnership with Vertongen at CB so he might be a cheaper alternative to Lovren or a play to pressure Southampton to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Some of the stuff here is comical. Do people really think that we could demand they don't sell Sanchez to arsenal?!? That's schoolyard stuff. It's up there with Ireland asking to be added to the World Cup...

it was a handball HANDBALL
    FIFA
    Michel Platini
    Sepp
    No corruption
    I can't get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We could take a leaf out of their book and start a petition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it was a handball HANDBALL
    FIFA
    Michel Platini
    Sepp
    No corruption
    I can't get over it
    It was an error by the ref. Get over it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Nearly everyone thought Spurs spent brilliantly last Summer. Sure they entered the season with praise ringing in their ears and highly fancied to get a CL spot.

What derailed them was troubles with their manager, Lamela barely kicking a ball for them and Soldado more or less flopping.

Despite all that they still managed only 3 points less than the season before when Bale was performing heroics every week and finished only one position down the league than the season before (and that was only because we shot up from 7th to 2nd).

Out of here with your sensible talk!!!

I'm starting to think some people just want to lose their heads around here. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Losing Suarez will not be nice to put it mildly, but I'm actually looking forward to this next chapter. It will tell us a lot about Rodgers and the bar he has set himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Yedlin is off to Roma it seems. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Can - £10 million
    Lallana - £25 million
    Lambert - £4 million

Markovich - £25 million
    Origi - £10 million

Combined total there of 74 million which uses up the Suarez fee. I know there is a long way to go in the summer window and I HOPE that FSG are actually going to invest some funds and not just spend the Suarez money but so far, thats 5 signings and not one of them would be considered a first team starter.

If the above are added for strength in depth then great but we seriously need to add one or two players that would be considered a level above. In my eyes we have over spent by about 10 million on Lallana and I am puzzled about the Markovich signing. Scored 5 goals last season for benfica and we are paying the guts of 25 million for him.

If you add in the £20 million for Lovren....I am not liking the way this window is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bit surprised Liverpool aren't using their CL status to make this the summer they sign those players that wouldn't have joined last summer.

I get that Rodgers is planning for the future etc and he seems to have an eye for a player, but id have thought this was a summer to capitalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

joe123 wrote: »
    Can - £10 million
    Lallana - £25 million
    Lambert - £4 million

Markovich - £25 million
    Origi - £10 million

Combined total there of 74 million which uses up the Suarez fee. I know there is a long way to go in the summer window and I HOPE that FSG are actually going to invest some funds and not just spend the Suarez money but so far, thats 5 signings and not one of them would be considered a first team starter.

If the above are added for strength in depth then great but we seriously need to add one or two players that would be considered a level above. In my eyes we have over spent by about 10 million on Lallana and I am puzzled about the Markovich signing. Scored 5 goals last season for benfica and we are paying the guts of 25 million for him.

If you add in the £20 million for Lovren....I am not liking the way this window is going.

The way it seems is that all those figures are the potential fees if a lot of clauses are triggered, apart from maybe Lambert. The Markovic fee has been rumoured to be able to rise to 25 million euro. Origi can rise to 10 million pound. Lallana is supposedly 16 million with the potential to rise to 23. I don't think we're paying these hefty fees up front. We also massively need strength in depth so when we're chasing games we don't have the likes of Aspas coming on and whipping in those killer corners we've come to expect from him. The window has been open a week and we've already done quite a lot of business, and if the rumours are to be believed we're trying desperately to get Alexis Sanchez.

Seems pretty productive to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Can - £10 million
    Lallana - £25 million instead of Allen
    Lambert - £4 million

Markovich - £25 million instead of Suarez
    Origi - £10 million

I would imagine both would be starters, or at the very least will play a part in 75% or our games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

if we were added to it now it would be a fair deal i reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Jaysus I forgot that Joe Allen existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would imagine both would be starters, or at the very least will play a part in 75% or our games

Markovich instead of Suarez? Ah no. 5 goals in the Portuguese league replacing the third best player in the world? No I do not like the sound of that!

If we signed Markovich for 10 million no one would expect him to start. Its only the fee that has people thinking it.

Lallana replacing Allen is a possibility I suppose but I could see Lallana rotating with Coutinho/Allen/Henderson and even Sterling from time to time instead of outright replacing any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

greendom wrote: »
    It was an error by the ref. Get over it !

Ya ref error I agree. Still gets me right in the feels though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Markovich instead of Suarez? Ah no. 5 goals in the Portuguese league replacing the third best player in the world? No I do not like the sound of that!

If we signed Markovich for 10 million no one would expect him to start. Its only the fee that has people thinking it.

Lallana replacing Allen is a possibility I suppose but I could see Lallana rotating with Coutinho/Allen/Henderson and even Sterling from time to time instead of outright replacing any of them.

With Sturridge, Lambert and Markovich at teh club, and after paying €25 for Markovich, I cant see him warming the bench. Id imagine hes Luis replacement alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gucci wrote: »
    if we were added to it now it would be a fair deal i reckon!

It'd make Liverpool a laughing stock tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

naughtb4 wrote: »

Think the squad will be more balanced than last season.

Last season we had a set starting 11 and very little after that.

Looks like we will now have a group of 20 players or so who will be competent to start any game.

gosplan wrote: »
    It'd make Liverpool a laughing stick tbh.

laughing-stick-297403-1-s-307x512.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Markovic is the new Erikson now.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Markovic is the new Erikson now.
    If he turned out like Erikson was in the second half of the season I would be quite happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It does seem we are after a lot of young squad players, while I see the logic and we do need upgrades more so than our rivals, it's a bit underwhelming so far. We need to be replacing Suarez with the finished article like Sanchez, not potential. It's kind of hard to see what the bigger picture is if we don't. Early days yet and it seems big enough money is there, even after the Suarez money. Might just have to kidnap Sanchez!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

10505518_10152668843447573_4432210746041194624_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

3rd kit officially unveiled at 1pm today.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/165805-1pm-bst-reds-to-unveil-new-third-kit

Edit: This is it apparently

Bk4X0umCUAAl-rL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Markovic and Origi are confirmed today, then the squad is practically bulging at the seams.

G - Mignolet, Reina, Jones, Vigouroux
    D - Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Enrique, Flanagan, Sakho, Toure, Ilori, Wisdom, Kelly, Robinson, Coates, Stewart
    M - Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Lallana, Can, Coutinho, Teixeira, Rossiter
    F - Sterling, Sturridge, Origi, Markovic, Borini, Aspas, Lambert, Ibe, Assaidi, Yesil, Suso

For all the talk of buying another central defender, do people not realise we already have 8 central defenders, all of whom would be good enough to play in the Premier League?

If Markovic and Origi are confirmed today, then the squad is practically bulging at the seams.

D - Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Enrique, Flanagan, Sakho, Toure, Ilori, Wisdom, Kelly, Robinson, Coates, Stewart
    M - Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Lallana, Can, Coutinho, Teixeira, Rossiter
    F - Sterling, Sturridge, Origi, Markovic, Borini, Aspas, Lambert, Ibe, Assaidi, Yesil, Suso

For all the talk of buying another central defender, do people not realise we already have 8 central defenders, all of whom would be good enough to play in the Premier League?

The defense was the problems last year and needs to be addressed IMO. Skertel and Sahko arent good enough and it showed last year. Agger doesnt seem to get much of a look in for what ever reasons and Toure is past it. At least 1 CB is needed esp if Luis's goals arent around this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

beakerjoe wrote: »
    laughing-stick-297403-1-s-307x512.jpg

Bah, you got in before my edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

The defense was the problems last year and needs to be addressed IMO. Skertel and Sahko arent good enough and it showed last year. Agger doesnt seem to get much of a look in for what ever reasons and Toure is past it. At least 1 CB is needed esp if Luis's goals arent around this year.

bit harsh on Sakho.

I think our defensive problem is further up the pitch. CBs need more cover than they were getting last season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Sakho is comfortably our best CH

• Advertisement

The Mig wrote: »
    Sakho is comfortably our best CH

And hes by no means world class. Surely getting someone in there beside him is a priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

By all accounts Agger is on his way out. Our 3 main CB's this year should be Sakho, Lovren if he comes in and Skrtel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

And hes by no means world class. Surely getting someone in there beside him is a priority
    Yes which is why Lovren is being chased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Why wont ye play Agger? one of the best centre backs in the league for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Raf32 wrote: »
    Because he gets bullied off the ball by any half decent CB/CF when he is defending.

How much are you offering, btw?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The defensive issues were a symptom of overall tactics rather than individual weakness. You could have peak Maldini and Cannavaro as our CBs and they'd still struggle with how overexposed the back line is left.

Lovren or someone else at £20m isn't going to magically fix that problem.

Raf32 wrote: »

I like him personally, but Rodgers doesnt. For a man who was going to City for €30mil not so long ago, his stock has fallen big style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

5live wrote: »
    Because he gets bullied off the ball by any half decent CB/CF when he is defending.

How much are you offering, btw?;)

10 million + £1 :P

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's 6am here and I'm laughing out loud in work while bashing my head repeatedly off the wall nearest to me. My boss looks terrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It's 6am here and I'm laughing out loud in work while bashing my head repeatedly off the wall nearest to me. My boss looks terrified.

You're in an institution, not work. And that's a doctor, not your boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I agree, simply buying more defenders isn't going to tighten up the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I agree, simply buying more defenders isn't going to tighten up the defence.

With 8 defenders on the pitch. How could we lose!?

Vicxas wrote: »
    With 8 defenders on the pitch. How could we lose!?
    "We all dream of a team of Carraghers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mignolet
    Sakho---Sktrl---Agger
    Johnson-Gerrard-Hendo-Enrique
    --Sterling-Sturridge-Markovic

3-4-3 all the way lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Connavar wrote: »
    I think our defensive problem is further up the pitch. CBs need more cover than they were getting last season

I'd go along with this. The way Liverpool set up they're always likely to concede a lot of chances. Its like Rodgers is prioritising scoring over not conceding. Shoot out type philosophy.
    I'd love a no nonsense tough ball playing DM added to the mix.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement