Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Br8OMaCCQAExXxG.jpg:large

He doesn't appear impressed by the new kit

"Call me Sakho again, I fcuking dare you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I am pie wrote: »
    Origi makes no sense to me. I'd rather perservere with Borini tbh than take a punt on a fairly erratic young player.

Or in a few years we could be going why didn't we spend 7 or 8M on a 19 year old Origi when we had the chance. He's worth triple that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Br8OMaCCQAExXxG.jpg:large

He doesn't appear impressed by the new kit

He's so awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Or in a few years we could be going why didn't we spend 7 or 8M on a 19 year old Origi when we had the chance. He's worth triple that now.

I think most people will agree he looks ok at best at the moment, but he has the potential to improve sure. I just dont see him as a future great yet

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think most people will agree he looks ok at best at the moment, but he has the potential to improve sure. I just dont see him as a future great yet

Apparently the Belgians rate him higher than Lukaku or Benteke at the same age. Not that it guarantees future development. Sometimes a young player just doesn't kick on as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Seriously....wtf are Ian Ayre & Co. at???? :mad::mad:

It's almost 3.15pm and we still haven't signed a midfielder yet today :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably taken the day his loan ended.

;) That one never gets old.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is that Sakho or Cissoko??

Not cool man, not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Origi's goals per game ratio at club level is pretty god-awful.
    Goals to games ratio's for young attacking players are meaningless. Sturridge had a rubbish goals to games ratio when we signed him because he was played in the wrong position or only given 5 minute cameo's.

Goals to games ratio's for young attacking players are meaningless. Sturridge had a rubbish goals to games ratio when we signed him because he was played in the wrong position or only given 5 minute cameo's.

I think what he meant is that there's nothing to suggest hes a young prodigy in the making

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Not cool man, not cool.

I'm sorry man....guess my Panda Sap application will be postponed for another year :(

EDIT: That wasn't some kind of racist joke though, I genuinely get them mixed up because they are both French.

EDIT 2: They are French aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Also, no Suarez in the promo shots.....I know he has a contract but I think he might be going.

I don't think the club can use him for promotional work if his ban is all football related activities . When he signs for barca they will have to have the photo shoot in the car park !

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Seriously....wtf are Ian Ayre & Co. at???? :mad::mad:

It's almost 3.15pm and we still haven't signed a midfielder yet today :mad::mad:

He his hand delivering Suarez to Barcelona . I'd say he had to put a lead and muzzle on him so there is no accidents while he is on the way .

Not to mention he was only 18 and often played out wide as well when he did play. What 18 years old's have great goalscoring records in first team football? When you buy players of that age you are buying the potential of what they may become in a few years time.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think what he meant is that there's nothing to suggest hes a young prodigy in the making

Except that he's being touted by Belgian journos as an even a bigger talent than Benteke and Lukaku was at the same age, and him being the one the to lead the line for them in future.

For someone who just turned 19 to show such maturity in his displays with limited game time for Lille and Belgium, but for one poor moment where his anticipation prevented him from scoring another World Cup goal against the US, he had an tremendous World Cup. The game vs USA is what you want to see from any striker, despite not getting on the score sheet, he ran the US defence ragged centrally and down the channels, out muscling them and showing great appreciation of those around him in the build up. His all round game was excellent that night, just lacked a goal to cap it off. His cameos were always very good too. Only against Argentina was he less impressive which I'd hardly blame him too much given Belgium's midfield did nothing for the majority of the game.

Nothing is certain in life, let alone football, but he looks a heck of a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I am pie wrote: »
    Origi makes no sense to me. I'd rather perservere with Borini tbh than take a punt on a fairly erratic young player.

Hoping to see Ibe get some time in the first team this yr too. I hope we are not buying players who would step in front of him or other young talent.

It's what the top clubs do, they stockpile young talent. At around £10m Origi is a no brainer, if he doesn't make the grade at Liverpool, you loan him out in PL for a season if hes good you will get your money back worst case scenario ala Borini.

Same with someone like Emre Can, its much better than buying players like Downing, Cole or Aspas which are average signing that you risk not been able to get your money back on if they flop.

Tony Evans in the web chat going on atm is saying he thinks..

1) Lucas is off
    2) Moreno deal is dead
    3) Shaqiri is unlikely
    4) Sanchez is still holding out for Juve, thought he'd rather stay at Barca. Seems like Arsenal and Liverpool are indeed 3rd and 4th choice respectively, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

1) Lucas is off
    2) Moreno deal is dead
    3) Shaqiri is unlikely
    4) Sanchez is still holding out for Juve, thought he'd rather stay at Barca. Seems like Arsenal and Liverpool are indeed 3rd and 4th choice respectively, lol.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Don't understand the whole Origi hate.

One thing we lacked up front was height and strength, Sturridge is the nearest thing we have to a strong forward, look at Coutinho or Sterling for example.

BR then brought in Lambert for height and strength but how long does he have left?

I'll take a 6 foot 1 developing beast up front any day of the week for 10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

rob316 wrote: »
    It's what the top clubs do, they stockpile young talent. At around £10m Origi is a no brainer, if he doesn't make the grade at Liverpool, you loan him out in PL for a season if hes good you will get your money back worst case scenario ala Borini.

Same with someone like Emre Can, its much better than buying players like Downing, Cole or Aspas which are average signing that you risk not been able to get your money back on if they flop.

We really knocked it outta the park with those signings.

• Advertisement

Seems like Arsenal and Liverpool are indeed 3rd and 4th choice respectively, lol.

Think that's been known for a while. He wants to stay at Barca but failing that wants to go back to Italy.

Not that Arsenal will care that he's only their 3rd choice if they manage to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Augmerson wrote: »
    I'm sorry man....guess my Panda Sap application will be postponed for another year :(

EDIT: That wasn't some kind of racist joke though, I genuinely get them mixed up because they are both French.

EDIT 2: They are French aren't they?

I got your back buddy

Wonder will we be getting in another attacking player even after Markovic and Origi? Origi after all is apparently going back to Lille on loan.

Was hoping for maybe Shaqiri as well but that link seems to be fading away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Another note on Origi.

"The young star will cost Liverpool £6M up front, with the fee rising to £9.5M including all add-ons."

Link to article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Think that's been known for a while. He wants to stay at Barca but failing that wants to go back to Italy.

Not that Arsenal will care that he's only their 3rd choice if they manage to get him.

You would think they would prefer being 4th :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

1) Lucas is off
    2) Moreno deal is dead
    3) Shaqiri is unlikely
    tumblr_lm8mksZuwr1qd2z3j.gif

It's been speculated, more than it being fact. Some press in Spain have been claiming he wants out of Barca due to having to play second fiddle to Messi, but it doesn't seem to be the case given what Barrett and now Evans have said in the past couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok lets help Sanchez get his dream move to Juve..

Sell Suarez to Barca use that money to buy Pogba and Vidal.

Then in turn Juve can use that money to buy Sanchez.

Simples.

1) Lucas is off
    2) Moreno deal is dead
    3) Shaqiri is unlikely

5) The club have very high hopes for Markovic.

6) "No one at Anfield is convinced by Mingolet.. Doesn't talk, doesn't come for crosses, doesn't sweep. If they can get anyone better they will" No one at Anfield is convinced by him."

7) "Cast-iron buyout, Fighting was not an issue this summer", re: Suarez

8) Agger is a goner.

9) "Off to Napoli on a free (or close)", re: Reina

10) Laughed off Balotelli to Liverpool stories basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

6) "No one at Anfield is convinced by Mingolet.. Doesn't talk, doesn't come for crosses, doesn't sweep. If they can get anyone better they will" No one at Anfield is convinced by him."

8) Agger is a goner.

Surprised about that Mignolet comment, he's quite a good goalkeeper imo. Although most of his mistakes happened in the big matches...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

6) [b["No one at Anfield is convinced by Mingolet.. Doesn't talk, doesn't come for crosses, doesn't sweep. If they can get anyone better they will" No one at Anfield is convinced by him."[/b]

8) Agger is a goner.

Ah now. Mig has made mistakes but in general I think he's been good, I'd certainly have no problem with him being our No.1 this season coming. We would have known he doesn't do the crosses/sweep thing before we bought him, wasn't that evident at Sunderland? Disagree with Evans there completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know I wrote a long, slightly critical post last night about our transfer policy so far, with Origi's name included, but I would have to say for £6.5m outlay potentially rising to £10m (I assum it'll only rise if he does any good), it seems like we might have done a very shrewd piece of business.

He looks to be a very good player already, and at only 19 hopefully there's more to come.

Considering we supposedly managed to sign him before the World Cup, and given his performances in the World Cup, you would expect that if we had tried to sign him now (with added interest from other top clubs) we could be talking about double the figure.

So this is a signing that excites me and I can get behind, and I understand the importance of these types of signings in the long term.

But this type of signing needs to be accompanied with serious moves for some serious players we know what to expect from as well.

It's like everyone at the club watched Germany V Algeria together then looked at each other and asked 'Why doesn't our keeper do that? Get rid of him.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

It's like everyone at the club watched Germany V Algeria together then looked at each other and asked 'Why doesn't our keeper do that? Get rid of him.'

Jesus I wouldn't want a keeper doing that! I'd be a nervous wreck everytime a team starts attacking :pac:

Jesus I wouldn't want a keeper doing that! I'd be a nervous wreck everytime a team starts attacking :pac:

It's in keeping with our 'f*ck defending' attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Am I the only one super excited by markovic? I understand that people want big name signings but this guy gas the potential to be a true superstar. Good enough that we could be dealing with real players telling us that it's always been his dream to play there in a few years. I'll take that kind of potential every day and you have pay for that.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Am I the only one super excited by markovic? I understand that people want big name signings but this guy gas the potential to be a true superstar. Good enough that we could be dealing with real players telling us that it's always been his dream to play there in a few years. I'll take that kind of potential

I think after the lose of Suarez, potential is not whats needed. a proven goalscorer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Am I the only one super excited by markovic? I understand that people want big name signings but this guy gas the potential to be a true superstar. Good enough that we could be dealing with real players telling us that it's always been his dream to play there in a few years. I'll take that kind of potential

I'll be honest I don't know a huge amount about him but at £20m I would expect him to be starting week in week out.

I would also expect Lallana to be starting week in week out so with these two alone I'm finding it hard to see the shape of the team next season and who will be droped.

I thinking it could be 3 5 2 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think its more no one knows much about him bar some you tube clips. You would hope is a very good player for £20m. I hear good things so it could be a great signing, you just don't know. I hope to god we are all saying how great of business Markovic, Lallana, Can and Lambert were come the end of next season.

Im used to us not buying top established names, its not our style it never has been even Torres and Suarez were risks that could have flopped.

what I do have is faith in a real top manager in Rodgers to buy the correct players for his playing style and extracting performances from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Yeah. Look the way I see it, we're not quite in a position where we can go after the established big boys, where we can toe to toe with the likes of City and Chelsea for those signings.

But we are in a position where we can land the ones that are on the cusp of the top level and who can make that level with us (like Markovic). Not all of these players will reach their potential so yes signing them is a gamble, but no more of a gamble than signing established players that you hope can settle, that aren't mercenaries, that aren't being dumped for a reason etc etc....

• Advertisement

I think after the lose of Suarez, potential is not whats needed. a proven goalscorer is.

But we have that in Danny. People keep saying we need this proven goal scorer but not providing names outside of Sanchez. Just because he has the potential to be special long term doesn't mean markovic can't contribute this season either...

Maybe it's my memories of how so many people on here lost their nut when we didn't sign soldado last year. He was a proven goal scorer too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have no idea what our starting XI will look like next season

I can't see sterling or Hendo dropped and I think Coutinho has earned a place in the XI but then you have Lallana, Lazar and Can to potentially fit in

Exactly...spending some of the money on potential is fine but there needs to be one or two signings who can step in now to fill the giant void left in the squad.

I'll be honest I don't know a huge amount about him but at £20m I would expect him to be starting week in week out.

I would also expect Lallana to be starting week in week out so with these two alone I'm finding it hard to see the shape of the team next season and who will be droped.

We don't seem to be linked with any out and out strikers which makes me think Rodgers will be reverting back to 433. Sturridge up front flanked by Sterling and Markovic. Some combinations of Lallana, Coutinho, Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen behind.

Those quotes from the Uruguay coach re: talks for Suarez, us and Barca in November are fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

All the top teams in the league have players on the bench every week who are either highly rated or who cost a pretty penny. If nothing else our bench will actually have some enticing options, something that has been painfully not been the case over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Imagine amongst all our hectic dealings we just... forgot to sell Suarez...

Exactly...spending some of the money on potential is fine but there needs to be one or two signings who can step in now to fill the giant void left in the squad.

But is there a huge void being created by selling him ? This is his third ban . He seems to get one every season . LFC needs players who can play every game of the season . I know injuries happen but every one of his bans has been avoidable .

I just don't see why these guys with potential can't contribute now too. Take sterling as an example, if we signed him for 20m would you be disappointed?

But is there a huge void being created by selling him ? This is his third ban . He seems to get one every season . LFC needs players who can play every game of the season . I know injuries happen but every one of his bans has been avoidable .

Ah of course it's a huge void. We are a FAR FAR better team with him in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement