Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I just don't see why these guys with potential can't contribute now too. Take sterling as an example, if we signed him for 20m would you be disappointed?

I'd say that was about 10 million too much to pay for sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

We're not spending £25m on Lallana and possibly Markovic for the craic, big roles are clearly earmarked for that kind of money bar a spectacular flop. Again I have to use that word relax, and just watch how things unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All the top teams in the league have players on the bench every week who are either highly rated or who cost a pretty penny. If nothing else our bench will actually have some enticing options, something that has been painfully not been the case over the past few years.

Lallana and Markovic are about to become the second and third most expensive players the club as every bought for them to become bench players would be a complete joke they need to be first team starters for that kind of money.

We don't have that kind of money to waste on to first team squad players at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'd say that was about 10 million too much to pay for sterling.

You think Sterling is only worth 10m?!? I wouldn't sell him for less than 30 and even then I'd rather not.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Markovic will be here on Wednesday to agree personal terms and/or for his medical , apparently.

Evans could talk for days it seems.

Just to add to the earlier comment on Mignolet -

"All they were thinking of was cash. Reina was on £110k a week and they thought they could get a £40k keeper without 60ish% dropoff. Not best business ever, especially as they're paying part of Reina's wages & now they'll almost give him away."

11) Re: redevelopment of stadium -

"They'll do the Main Stand and move on to the Anfield Road. When that's finished (2019-20?) they'll take a view on Kemlyn Road. The Kop will be last on agenda"

12) Seems to think Borini is off, despite what his agent said last week.

13) Turdy is a Gooner 4 lyfe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Am I the only one super excited by markovic?
    Nope, I think he'll be a good signing. Out of all our signings, his is the one that excites me most. I think he's got the right balance in terms of physicality and technical ability that should see him do well in English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lallana seems like more potentially satisfying - 12 goals and 15 assists sort of job - not about memorable moments but about subtly improving our quality in the front half of the pitch.

Not all your players have to run the length of the pitch or score a dink over the keeper from 25 yards.

You think Sterling is only worth 10m?!? I wouldn't sell him for less than 30 and even then I'd rather not.

That kinda talk is the reason we bought Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

4th lyfe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

From FB - The number would suggest Sanchez is off anyway

53babe89b54d5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Real or fake ? A bit arrogant if a deal isn't done . John W Hemry should add a few million to the price if that's the case .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

x43r0 wrote: »
    From FB - The number would suggest Sanchez is off anyway

53babe89b54d5.jpg

Could've just photoshopped the L. SUAR

I just don't see why these guys with potential can't contribute now too. Take sterling as an example, if we signed him for 20m would you be disappointed?

I hope they can contribute now. I think focusing on potential is creating a circle where by the time the players realise that potential they will be looking to move onto clubs competing for trophies and we have to start the process again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just because it seems some don't realise, the Markovic deal is €25m, so around £19m. Not that I've seen loads of him but I have heard a fair bit and I'm really excited to see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Gbear wrote: »
    Could've just photoshopped the L. SUAR

He has 'ALEXIS' on his kit!

Lionel+Messi+Alexis+Sanchez+FC+Barcelona+v+W0qtuDQmuutl.jpg

• Advertisement

That kinda talk is the reason we bought Andy Carroll

Could you explain?!? I don't see how us signing a one dimensional clogger is the same as highly rating an exciting young footballer who has shown good football intelligence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Have you seen much of Markovic Pyjamarama? What ca we expect?

I don't know anything, watched a couple of Youtube vids which is never the best to go on, but even from them he looked a little bit rough round the edges, and there wasn't much there that blew me away or made me think that he looked a really special talent.

I know he played 24 times for Benfica last year and along with 12 caps for Serbia that's his lot in terms of top level football. Vrey, very little to go on.

You mention Sterling, but even Sterling had much more to go on than Markovic.

It's hard for me to criticise the potential transfer when I don't know a lot about him other than stats/Youtube videos, but for the money touted you could be talking about signing Shaquiri, who is entering his peak and is proven at the top level. Konoplylanka (sp?) is another who seems to be a bit more established in the game, and obviously Sanchez would be the dream signing.

So from my limited knowledge of him, I can't say Markovic is a signing I'm getting very excited about but who knows what he might offer.

I thought it was a little strange to hear that he was best as a number 10 as we already have Sterling who began to look lethal in this position, Coutinho (who would probably love to play here) and Lallana too might even say that it's his favoured position. But I imagine there'll be interchanging anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Am I the only one super excited by markovic? I understand that people want big name signings but this guy gas the potential to be a true superstar. Good enough that we could be dealing with real players telling us that it's always been his dream to play there in a few years. I'll take that kind of potential every day and you have pay for that.

I like him as a footballer, but I'd be lying to say if he was anywhere near my list of players I'd like us to sign. Despite watching a few Benfica games, the goal against Sporting aside, I don't remember much of his performances in the league, though admittedly I had the games open in another tab (late KOs in Portugal and them being a dream to bet on). He was excellent against Spurs in the Europa League though.

I don't get the obsession for the most part with fans needing perceived world class signings, but I really wanted Sanchez.

Tbh I've only seen him in full matches 5-6 times but have seen extended highlights a lot and know a few benfica fans who rave about him. In fairness I think his body of work is equal or greater than Raheems. He'll give us more options and his ball control is really something else. It's a bit like Messi in that he doesn't wow you with tricks but he doesn't have to. It's just efficient and effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sterling would have to be £20-25 Million easy.

We do seem to have a lot of No. 10's!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Fack all the negative talk lads, next year is definitely our year, league title no.19 here we come.

We will have a vibrant, fresh, young energetic powerhouse of a team and squad, we will be relentless in our march to the title, BR knows exactly what he's doing, sit back relax and trust our leader.

K-9 wrote: »
    Sterling would have to be £20-25 Million easy.

We do seem to have a lot of No. 10's!

But they're no.10's who can be very effective on the wings too. It allows us to be fluid in attack and that's becoming increasingly important. Just look at the amount of inverted wingers popping up in recent years. The ability of our forwards last year to pop up anywhere was so important in our attacks. So difficult to defend against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But they're no.10's who can be very effective on the wings too. It allows us to be fluid in attack and that's becoming increasingly important. Just look at the amount of inverted wingers popping up in recent years. The ability of our forwards last year to pop up anywhere was so important in our attacks. So difficult to defend against.

True and nobody would have considered Sterling a No.10 at the start of last season, hell even 6 months ago!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The other common theme among our signings is their supposed high work rate. Lallana we know works extremely hard. From what I have read Can and Markovic fall into that category also. Add Henderson into the mix and I expect a greater intensity to our pressing next year. That should make us very formidable.

Fescue wrote: »
    The other common theme among our signings is their supposed high work rate. Lallana we know works extremely hard. From what I have read Can and Markovic fall into that category also. Add Henderson into the mix and I expect a greater intensity to our pressing next year. That should make us very formidable.

What we are losing outweighs what those additions bring.

Turtyturd wrote: »

I'm sure Atletico fans felt the same when Falcao left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Who should we buy so? There's no player out there as good as Suarez, it'll just be a downgrade no matter what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Who should we buy so? There's no player out there as good as Suarez, it'll just be a downgrade no matter what happens

we have our main man in sturridge, build a team around him for now and develop origi. Full backs are badly needed.

I'm sure Atletico fans felt the same when Falcao left.

No, not comparable, Falcao is a very good number 9 who had an excellent season, Suarez is a genius who can hurt you anywhere on the pitch who had a 'freak' season (almost inhuman levels previously solely reserved for Ronaldo and Messi) and offers so much more than just goals.

I actually had a mate who had the very controversial (though subsequently arguably correct) opinion at the time that Costa offered more to Atleti than Falcao.

You can replace someone like Falcao who is good at knocking in goals, but Suarez's attitude, intense hunger and desire, combined with his unbelievable talent makes him totally irreplaceable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So....how about a cheeky Suarez-replacing bid for Robben?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We're not spending £25m on Lallana and possibly Markovic for the craic, big roles are clearly earmarked for that kind of money bar a spectacular flop. Again I have to use that word relax, and just watch how things unfold.

I can't get the fear of them flopping out of my head. We have just been pretty bad at transfers in recent fears and while it had improved recently, Brendan has still been somewhat hit and miss and there is no escaping that the fact that new players often need time to settle in.

It is probable that only one of those two will prove to be a success and it could take 6/12/18 months before we see evidence of of that success. That's the case whether it is Brendan, Jose or or Wenger buying the players.

The one card that Brendan has in his back pocked is that he seems to be able to get the most of players at his disposal.

He's a bit of mercenary but that wouldn't put me off him.

Tevez.

If there is a player out there with the same kind of workrate and will to win like Suarez it's him.

He is proven in the PL and CL league.

He brings baggage with him of course but like Suarez once he crosses that white line all he wants to do is win.

Morzadec wrote: »
    No, not comparable, Falcao is a very good number 9 who had an excellent season, Suarez is a genius who can hurt you anywhere on the pitch who had a 'freak' season (almost inhuman levels previously solely reserved for Ronaldo and Messi) and offers so much more than just goals.

I actually had a mate who had the very controversial (though subsequently arguably correct) opinion at the time that Costa offered more to Atleti than Falcao.

You can replace someone like Falcao who is good at knocking in goals, but Suarez's attitude, intense hunger and desire, combined with his unbelievable talent makes him totally irreplaceable imo

So are you saying no matter who we sign, the team will be worse next year regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

True but the replacements will be around for the full season and not facing a massive ban for another indescretion.

Its not ideal. We would all prefer Suarez staying at the club but he is going to miss a quarter of the season as it stands. Injury or another ban and we could lose him for the season with a threadbare squad and a missing top scorer.

Suarez is gone to Barca.

I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd be on board with Tevez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tevez.

If there is a player out there with the same kind of workrate and will to win like Suarez it's him.

He brings baggage with him of course but like Suarez once he crosses that white line all he wants to do is win.

Good call. I had forgotten all about him.

It would be worth it just to bait the mancs alone. :-)

Falcao scored 28 of Atletico's 65 goals in the league. You could make a case he was more important to Atletico than Suarez was to Liverpool.

Yet they improved as a team after he left without actually signing another world class player to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Tevez is well behaved on the pitch. That's a plus. Just don't bench him and you avoid any problems. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yes Tevez, yes yes yes, have we any chance of getting him though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Buy Tevez which would help Juve get Sanchez. Would be a smart move.

So are you saying no matter who we sign, the team will be worse next year regardless?

Well I wouldn't quite go that far, but yeah more or less, realistically speaking at least. I highly doubt I'll be going into September thinking we can win the league - it will be likely that I will be hoping we can make the Champions League spots again.

It's impossible to replace the output Suarez provides, even just the presence of him on the pitch opens up so much space for others around him. I just can't see us scoring 100 league goals with him out.

Hypothetically-speaking we could so some amazing business, bring in Sanchez, manage to convince another top class player to join, fill the full back spots with players of real quality, but the above won't happen.

If we added Sanchez, Lovren, a top quality left-back, Shaquiri to what we have I'd start thinking we have what it takes to perhaps really challenge again, but even with that quality there will be times when we will really be feeling the loss of Suarez (for example a freekick 25 yards out)

Right then time to get Tevez's name out there.

Get tweeting all the top Jounro's on twitter and ask if it's true Liverpool are interested in Tevez.

Maybe someone in the club will these and think that's a good idea.

Falcao scored 28 of Atletico's 65 goals in the league. You could make a case he was more important to Atletico than Suarez was to Liverpool.

Yet they improved as a team after he left without actually signing another world class player to replace him.

Yet in the stadium we frequently berated his lack of a first touch and his inability to bring others into the game (while of course acknowledging that his finishing ability made these shortcomings in his game well worth putting up with). Did we, as Liverpool fans, ever question what Suarez brought to the team last year, in any aspect of his play?

Like I said Falcao is a very good number 9. Suarez is one of the players of his generation. There are nowhere near the same league. The season produced by Falcao at Atleti is nowhere near comparable to the freak season Suarez has just produced at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Tevez will never be back in England, he hated the place.

Dunno if it's been mentioned and it might be a bit out there but I would go with Tevez.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luis-suarez-barcelona-how-liverpool-7383131

Kristian Walsh has already touted Tevez as a potential replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tevez will never be back in England, he hated the place.

For the right wages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think after the lose of Suarez, potential is not whats needed. a proven goalscorer is.

We already have one, his name is Daniel Sturridge. Which is more than Chelsea or Arsenal, for example, can claim tbh.

Could you explain?!? I don't see how us signing a one dimensional clogger is the same as highly rating an exciting young footballer who has shown good football intelligence...

We signed ac on the basis of one good season with Newcastle. You are rating sterling at 30 million based on 15 good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Tevez.

If I was buying a striker I would seriously consider a move for edin dzeko . I'm jealous the fact city can use him as a bench player . Would be an awesome signing .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement