Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're gonna be to Porto what Spurs are to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Given that there is no reports of us looking at a RB, looks like Johnson will be sticking around for another year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Knex. wrote: »
    Anything from 6-12 I would consider alright, tbh.

Its hard to justify even 12 though, when you look at Leonardo getting 4 for shattering a cheekbone and putting a guy in hospital for almost 4 months with an elbow.

20 years ago, things were different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Porto are absolutely fantastic at scouting the best South American talent and introducing them to Europe, and then flogging them for crazy money.

such a successful model and track record.

Yeah but they have it handy because getting work permits is a whole lot easie for them . If any of the premier league teams tried to sign the players they are after they would be nearly certain to fail on the work permit side of things .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Alonso77 wrote: »
    He handled the ball 4 yrs ago aswell so lets throw the book at him! FFs!

It's not that simple, that handball probably stopped another team going through, it had huge ramifications. The next tournament comes around, and he's the bad guy again. No way will they ignore that...

20 years ago, things were different

Ah yeah, I forgot that was common place then.

Not so different, in fairness. Not when it comes to assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Football Manager 2005 is to be believed, Portuguese clubs are allowed unlimited Brazilian players, due to their colonial past.

That helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

6 match ban, start it after the World Cup and everyone's a winner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah but they have it handy because getting work permits is a whole lot easie for them . If any of the premier league teams tried to sign the players they are after they would be nearly certain to fail on the work permit side of things .

Should it matter? Portugal is in the EU, same as the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Real Madrid interest in Suarez has never been there, when Real want a big player you will know 100% they want him.

A player like Suarez they would tap up for a whole season, then make there move. There is nothing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

at least he can see the funny side....

BrDPHajCUAAOH_G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Dickerty wrote: »
    It's not that simple, that handball probably stopped another team going through, it had huge ramifications. The next tournament comes around, and he's the bad guy again. No way will they ignore that...

Yes but he was punished for that, sent off and a penalty awarded to Ghana who proceeded to mess it up. So that shouldnt even come into this surely

Augmerson wrote: »
    Should it matter? Portugal is in the EU, same as the UK.

Yeah it does matter because you need to have international caps or something along those lines . What makes it easier is the fact if your from South America it's easier to get a permit to move to Portugal .

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Yes but he was punished for that, sent off and a penalty awarded to Ghana who proceeded to mess it up. So that shouldnt even come into this surely

This is FIFA we are talking about! They will want to protect the image, the sponsors, the tv audience. They want people to talk about the beautiful game, not off-the-ball stuff.

Throw the book at them, they will...says Yoda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Im a bit worried nobody from the club have shown support for luis. I think he may be off to spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ricero wrote: »
    Im a bit worried nobody from the club have shown support for luis. I think he may be off to spain

I'd say they're either waiting for a FIFA decision or just not touching it at all since it's a Uruguay thing

They learned their lesson from the T-Shirt debacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What should the club do to show support?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well it has nothing to do with his club, he was representing his country when the incident occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Suarez is off to Barca IMO.

Also, cant see how the club could come out in support of the player really at this stage.

Lastly, i have a growing fear that the club is not looking to improve the squad from last season really. Lambert & Can need to be joined by the likes of Moreno, Sanchez, Lallana, Lovren without losing Suarez in order for their to be progress on the squad IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah it does matter because you need to have international caps or something along those lines . What makes it easier is the fact if your from South America it's easier to get a permit to move to Portugal .

I don't quite understand. International caps on any level (under 18s, under 21s?)

I know Brazil would have close ties with Portugal as they are both Portugese speaking countries. I just thought the labour laws were consistent for all EU states. You might be right though. There's a few clubs in Ukraine with loads of South American players drafted in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Get the feeling that Liverpool might actually be relieved if Barcelona or Real come in with a bid that triggers a move. If a lucrative offer arrives in the next few weeks, I am convinced Suarez will be playing his football somewhere else next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think a six match International only ban will be getting off lightly.

FIFA will be accused of lacking bite on this matter.

Do gooders want his blood.

I'm just looking forward to the Champions League again. Hopefully we get some remote European Team with a small ass stadium so we can all sing the Garden Shed Song.

My garden shed.
    My garden shed.

My garden sheds bigger than this shithole.
    Its got a door, and a window
    My garden sheds bigger than this shithole.

Can also be sung in a one-up-manship type fashion, by simply singing, "My garden shed is bigger than yours".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't know what the club is supposed to say tbh.

they should keep schtum until he's back in Liverpool, at the very earliest. and if he never comes back (i.e. he does go to Barca/Real), then we never have to comment.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think a six match International only ban will be getting off lightly.

FIFA will be accused of lacking bite on this matter.

Do gooders want his blood.

There's an irony there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

What's to support? F*cking stupid thing to do.
    slingerz wrote: »

Also, cant see how the club could come out in support of the player really at this stage.

Lastly, i have a growing fear that the club is not looking to improve the squad from last season really. Lambert & Can need to be joined by the likes of Moreno, Sanchez, Lallana, Lovren without losing Suarez in order for their to be progress on the squad IMO

I think the players we're after of the Sanchez/Shaqiri ilk are mostly at the World Cup. The international window doesn't open until July anyway. I'd imagine there's a few targets in mind but we're going to do business later in the summer.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    What's to support? F*cking stupid thing to do.

I think the players we're after of the Sanchez/Shaqiri ilk are mostly at the World Cup. The international window doesn't open until July anyway. I'd imagine there's a few targets in mind but we're going to do business later in the summer.

Hope you are right in that regard.

Fearful that we dont have the funs to adequately strenghten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Get the feeling that Liverpool might actually be relieved if Barcelona or Real come in with a bid that triggers a move. If a lucrative offer arrives in the next few weeks, I am convinced Suarez will be playing his football somewhere else next season

Someone was reading Jamie Carragher's article.

Its a pretty rationale thought tho

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Its a pretty rationale thought tho

Link ?

Pretty please

• Advertisement

Link ?

Pretty please

toon+link...png

Of course they are, Henry and Co will know better than anyone that the CL is the golden goose and to stay there they need to improve the squad. Rodgers will made it abundantly clear we have only about 15 players of any real quality.

Selling Suarez and bringing in 3 top players in his place would be improving the squad, while we wont be able to get a single talent better than him it would still be progress.

Rogers will want quality over quantity in the event Suarez is sold, the board will be all too aware of the trap Spurs fell into last season and going out buying a new team. At the end of the day the only decent player they bought was Eriksen out of £90m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The international window is irrelevant. Deals can be done before it so it doesn't stop players being signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Listen if the club sells Suarez, Liverpool won't be as good next season. It almost doesn't matter who we sign with the money (within reason obviously). He's that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Club should give him a new car and a birthday cake...I know it's not his birthday but yay support.

Or they should do what"football" fans deem to be the right move a pay Barcelona to take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Listen if the club sells Suarez, Liverpool won't be as good next season. It almost doesn't matter who we sign with the money (within reason obviously). He's that good.

Not a Liverpool fan but this is spot on. If we learned one thing from Spurs it's that you won't get away with selling your star players, full stop.

You don't know, reinvested properly we could address some real issues in the squad and add quality to those positions. The most important person at Liverpool right now is Rodgers, having a quality manager is vital.

Sturridge could go on another level next year, its really only injuries holding him back from been a top top striker. You would expect Sterling to be a huge player for us next season. Coutinho I expect to be even better again next season.

I would love to see an attempt made to sign Toni Kroos, he would be an unbelievable signing for our midfield.

Jamie Carragher.....
    "Now you get the feeling that Liverpool might actually be relieved if Barcelona or Real come in with a bid that triggers a move," he said. "If a lucrative offer arrives in the next few weeks, I am convinced Suarez will be playing his football somewhere else next season."

WTF... Did you just copy and paste and make Carraghers words your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah, he was just subtitle-ing it for us.

rob316 wrote: »
    Of course they are, Henry and Co will know better than anyone that the CL is the golden goose and to stay there they need to improve the squad. Rodgers will made it abundantly clear we have only about 15 players of any real quality.

Selling Suarez and bringing in 3 top players in his place would be improving the squad, while we wont be able to get a single talent better than him it would still be progress.

Rogers will want quality over quantity in the event Suarez is sold, the board will be all too aware of the trap Spurs fell into last season and going out buying a new team. At the end of the day the only decent player they bought was Eriksen out of £90m.

But that's not the approach they took. The signed players that THEY believed were good enough. And on paper, they were. Soldado, Capoue, Lamela and Paulinho were all players we would have liked as well. And some of them may still come good. But they changed too much too quickly, we won't make that mistake cause we don't need to, at least not in attack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't think Barca would have him after this bite incident?

Real Madrid? Maybe, but I don't think Barca can afford him either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

REKT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Without any Harvard referencing either!

Disgusting

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Club should give him a new car and a birthday cake...I know it's not his birthday but yay support.

Or they should do what"football" fans deem to be the right move a pay Barcelona to take him.

Nah he should be allowed bite his team mates when he gets annoyed . I reckon he will stay then .

Burn!

Albertos loan to Malaga is now official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Albertos loan to Malaga is now official
    Good move for all parties involved

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    But that's not the approach they took. The signed players that THEY believed were good enough. And on paper, they were. Soldado, Capoue, Lamela and Paulinho were all players we would have liked as well. And some of them may still come good. But they changed too much too quickly, we won't make that mistake cause we don't need to, at least not in attack...

The difference is, Spurs sold there top asset in the hope they could build a squad to finish in the Top 4. We retained our best asset who got us into the Top 4. We have CL football to offer any target, while it doesn't give us the key to the best players in the world, we can go on a level from the players Spurs signed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement