Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mosstin wrote: »
    £75 million for Suarez is a fantastic price.

That would be a very good price considering his age and the fact he's a bit mental.

Rather have the player but in pure money terms that's about the best deal we could have got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

joe123 wrote: »
    Not going to make a blind bit of difference to the supporter if its not reinvested in the right players.

Look at Spurs.

Currently we are looking at Sturridge, Lambert and Borini as our striker options. Yucky.

It gives us a serious warchest to reinvest with. Course it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Jackson Martinez anyone? Cannot understand how he couldnt get a game for Columbia. When he did play he took his goals really well.

Would love MArtinez, a goal scoring machine like Bony!!

Whats the craic with Marco Reus?? Wouldn't mind splashing big on him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

It gives us a serious warchest to reinvest with. Course it makes a difference.

Think you need to take note of the IF in my post.

Anyone else have a really good feeling Borini will come good this year?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

billy2012 wrote: »
    Would love MArtinez, a goal scoring machine like Bony!!

Reus is going to United, remember, along with Kroos and Robben? :rolleyes: :p

The price on Sanchez going to Juventus is shortening by the hour.

Hard to know if there's anything in it

billy2012 wrote: »

Who wouldn't?

Not going to leave Dortmund until next Summer though when his release clause kicks in. And all the big clubs will be after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Anyone else have a really good feeling Borini will come good this year?

His mother but I think that's about it.

Think you need to take note of the IF in my post.

I was taking more note of the general tone of your post which is that because we haven't been linked with a marquee name yet, we are going to end up like Spurs did. Considering all that has happened with Suarez if we get 75 million for him, it'll be the maximum we could have hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

RainMaker wrote: »
    I thought he had joined the priesthood!

10394662_10152669508382573_8530648484359767292_n.jpg

story_11059_fatherdamo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ashley Cole has joined AS Roma on a two year deal.

Another LB to strike off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The price on Sanchez going to Juventus is shortening by the hour.

Hard to know if there's anything in it

Not one of the usual digs exchanged between us and arsenal fans but i wouldn't be surprised if he rathered a move to turin, already knows italian, knows the league aswell as vidal and isla being there too he already has a couple of mates there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fescue wrote: »
    That's way over the top in my opinion. Goals are the most decisive thing in football and in that respect Falcao was more imprtant to Atletico than Suarez to Liverpool.

Atletico found a way to be better, thanks to Simeone, without Falcao.

Rodgers, who is far more important to Liverpool than Suarez, will hopefully do the same.

I watched both players extensively both seasons and I just think you are way off the mark comparing the impact and influence each player had on each teams' season.

Falcon was a highly effective cog in a well functioning team, he is a fairly one-dimensional player. He got one assist in that season.

Suarez was an attacking, winning machine, a player basically impossible to stop because he can hurt you in so many ways.

It will be very interesting to see how the likes of Sturridge and Sterling perform without Suarez. Not to mention the assists Suarez provides, but the confidence he inspires and the space he makes for others purely because he attracts so much attention will be something they will have to manage without.

Costa came in and had at least as good as a season as Falcao (probably better to be honest). Now nobody saw that coming to be fair but it was always possible as Falcao didn't set the bar insanely high.

It's hard to predict things in football but I will have no problem predicting that no one will come close to matching the output, the performances and the importance of Suarez next season.

Unless we sign Ronaldo or Messi it simply won't happen!

klose wrote: »
    Not one of the usual digs exchanged between us and arsenal fans but i wouldn't be surprised if he rathered a move to turin, already knows italian, knows the league aswell as vidal and isla being there too he already has a couple of mates there.

There's pros and cons for both leagues.

Remember Arsenal aren't definitely in the CL proper. I know they'll almost certainly get there but some year there'll be an upset.

That might not be an issue mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

£75 million for Suarez is a fantastic price.

All reports in Spain suggest Barca are paying nowhere near that. British journalists getting Euro and pounds mixed up again more than likely. With it coming out today that a deal has been in place since last november and Liverpool trying to back out (when they saw how good he was playing) that again points to a much lower fee than reported.

And if barca pay cash I would be very surprised, staggered deal over a number of years as is their usual stance

Morzadec wrote: »
    I watched both players extensively both seasons and I just think you are way off the mark comparing the impact and influence each player had on each teams' season.

Falcon was a highly effective cog in a well functioning team, he is a fairly one-dimensional player. He got one assist in that season.

Suarez was an attacking, winning machine, a player basically impossible to stop because he can hurt you in so many ways.

It will be very interesting to see how the likes of Sturridge and Sterling perform without Suarez. Not to mention the assists Suarez provides, but the confidence he inspires and the space he makes for others purely because he attracts so much attention will be something they will have to manage without.

Costa came in and had at least as good as a season as Falcao (probably better to be honest). Now nobody saw that coming to be fair but it was always possible as Falcao didn't set the bar insanely high.

It's hard to predict things in football but I will have no problem predicting that no one will come close to matching the output, the performances and the importance of Suarez next season.

Unless we sign Ronaldo or Messi it simply won't happen!

He didn't inspire much confidence in our defence. That's an area the manager can look to improve. In fact the team has many areas where it can become better. A collective improvement can go a very long way to negating the loss of Suarez.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    All reports in Spain suggest Barca are paying nowhere near that. British journalists getting Euro and pounds mixed up again more than likely. With it coming out today that a deal has been in place since last november and Liverpool trying to back out (when they saw how good he was playing) that again points to a much lower fee than reported.

And if barca pay cash I would be very surprised, staggered deal over 5 years.

So you're going with the Spanish press on this one? The article you're alluding to contained quotes from the Uruguay manager that have since been rubbished. The veracity of the rest of it can probably be called into question too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

So you're going with the Spanish press on this one? The article you're alluding to contained quotes from the Uruguay manager that have since been rubbished. The veracity of the rest of it can probably be called into question too.

I'm going to to agree with you on this , Barcelona aren't exactly the most honest club when it comes to transfers . Hell look at the neymar deal and that will tell you all you need to know about them .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ah swell, positivity as ever sweeps into the Liverpool thread.

It's not like Barca centric media or Barca to claim lower figures for transfers in, example... NEYMAR. No siree. All the reliable journos are saying £70-80M, and yet, some wish to take the word of the fecking Spanish media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

rossie1977 wrote: »

And if barca pay cash I would be very surprised, staggered deal over a number of years as is their usual stance

Have those quotes regarding a November deal been authenticated or was it a bs story?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I'd say that was about 10 million too much to pay for sterling.

2m47ew8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Ah swell, positivity as ever sweeps into the Liverpool thread.

It's not like Barca centric media or Barca to claim lower figures for transfers in, example... NEYMAR. No siree. All the reliable journos are saying £70-80M, and yet, some wish to take the word of the fecking Spanish media.
    people believe what they want to believe, Nuri. Evidence against what they believe is only an inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Reus is going to United, remember, along with Kroos and Robben? :rolleyes: :p

Don't forget Hummels and Vidal too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Id take the risk & go fo Balotelli. Has huge potential & Roders could help him fufill it.

Echo reporting that Sanchez told Liverpool his family would prefer to live in London. Not much else the club could have done on that one it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Balotelli is the antithesis of the game 'The Rodgers' is trying to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MD1990 wrote: »
    Id take the risk & go fo Balotelli. Has huge potential & Roders could help him fufill it.

I believe BR could get the best out of him, has the potential to be amazing....a lot of work would need to be done for him to fit in and it could be worth it, but its a massive gamble, one i wouldn't take personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

NukaCola wrote: »
    I believe BR could get the best out of him, has the potential to be amazing....a lot of work would need to be done for him to fit in and it could be worth it, but its a massive gamble, one i wouldn't take personally.

He's even more nuts than Suarez is...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Echo reporting that Sanchez told Liverpool his family would prefer to live in London. Not much else the club could have done on that one it seems.

Tell his family to live in London then! He can visit them occasionally.

:pac:

Also, those Barca kit pictures are not from their club shop apparently, just some sports shop that has decided to try and pre-empt things (although it is sadly pretty inevitable. I wonder will the ban reduction to a month be announced before or after the transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

He's nuttier than a squirrels sh1t!

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 15m
    We have been told if Liverpool was in London, Alexis Sánchez would had signed for Liverpool. #LFC

This lad is a right laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fescue wrote: »
    This lad is a right laugh.

Wouldn't they be called London then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Lucas Moura from PSG anyone? Also agree with the previous shouts for Tevez. Quality player and quite similar to Suarez in talent, work rates and behaviour :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Titi Camara ‏@TitiCamara22 25m When I left Liverpool not many people thought I could have been replaced. Liverpool will survive without Suarez
    As Titi said, we just about managed without him.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

5starpool wrote: »
    Tell his family to live in London then! He can visit them occasionally.

:pac:

Also, those Barca kit pictures are not from their club shop apparently, just some sports shop that has decided to try and pre-empt things (although it is sadly pretty inevitable. I wonder will the ban reduction to a month be announced before or after the transfer?

What ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus, Sanchez would be in London quite a bit with his family if he brought them to away matches. Then he wouldn't have to actually live in London. Which to me would be a bonus...

He could live in London and commute everyday in the Babelcopter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Am I right in thinking that Milan got Ballotelli for 25 million european dollars?
    At that price or a few mil more I'd be happy for Rodgers to take a punt on him if he thought he had a chance of helping him reach his potential.

I don't see us going balls to the wall for an out and out striker though. In a bizarre way I think losing Suarez will allow Brendan to implement his grand plan that he might have envisioned from the start of his tenure.
    He had two lads that were banging in goals for fun and he simply had to accomadate 2 strikers, Danny's goals while Luis was suspended perhaps forced his arm.

Whatever way he decides to set up this season I believe he's earned the right and privilege to do as he sees fit, I'm cautiously optimistic that circumstance was only a coincedence.

From everything I've seen Rodgers has that 'succeed or die trying' thing about him, there won't be any half measures. You can be damn sure that his goal this season is to win the league. I don't see any of the self preservation traits in him, a massive season for him and the club ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

2m47ew8.jpg

There's only one Gordon Gekko around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He could live in London and commute everyday in the Babelcopter :P

Doesn't Andy Carroll commute from Newcastle to London, and back home for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I really thought last week we had a great shout of getting Sanchez. Losing a world class player in Suarez is such a big blow but for the transfer to result in strengthening one of main rivals to boot with Sanchez going to arsenal is actually a nightmare scenario. He'll b a huge signing for them while in same breath we are losing a hugely important player.

Sick and tired of almost getting the likes of Sanchez,kono,willian and Mkhitaryan only to lose them and the last despite so many of media saying done deal .in contrast the stories I hope that aren't true like spending almost 70m on louvren,lallana and markovic seems to be happening.

Sounds really negative but gutted on how it all playing out in this window so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just two things that have been rolling around my mind...

1. I'm getting more and more annoyed at FIFA, it really feels like they're dragging out the appeal for Suarez's ban until he's sold, and it just stinks of looking after the 'special' clubs (i.e. Barcelona). I'm not into conspiracy theories at all, but when it comes to FIFA, accusing them of being corrupt is hardly 'out there'. I wish they'd just come out and deal with the appeal.

2. Suarez is irreplaceable, there's no point denying that, but we should be really happy with Sturridge, I don't quite understand the doubt/fear about him. He's scored 31 goals in 43 league appearances. He scored more league goals last year than Owen ever did in a season, and only Suarez, Torres (in his first season) and Fowler got more in one season in the last 20 years. Yes, he's been playing in a great attacking Liverpool side, which is always going to help, and yes, he had Suarez beside him, which is also always going to help. But he's a great player, if he'd got 21 last season without Suarez getting 31 we'd be lauding him as our star! I'm not saying we won't miss Suarez, any team would, but we still have goal scorers at the club, including the guy who got the second highest total last season...

J.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

75m for Suarez is incredible. Liverpool have to be laughing with that tbh.

Ye'll have to go for quality rather than potential with a chunk of that money though if you want to stay top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I used to love titi camera, what ever happened to him, where did he go to after us and why the fcuk did we get rid of him at all??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

75m for Suarez is incredible. Liverpool have to be laughing with that tbh.

Ye'll have to go for quality rather than potential with a chunk of that money though if you want to stay top 4.

We just need to make sure Sturridge keeps his form, and has a great support crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I used to love titi camera, what ever happened to him, where did he go to after us and why the fcuk did we get rid of him at all??

Was it West Ham?

Edit: It was! For some reason I remember the transfer. From wikipedia:
    "I've come to West Ham to play, play, play – and score, score, score. If it was a question of money, I could have stayed at Liverpool and picked it up. I need to play, and if I don't it is totally pointless."

Camara went on to play only fourteen games, in all competitions, without scoring at all.

Griezmann would be a very nice alternative to Sanchez. All seems quiet with links to him though.

If we want to get in a big name player or two we better do it this Summer while we have the funds and the attraction of CL football. No guarantees we will have it next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd love Sanchez at Liverpool would suit the style of play perfectly but it's unbelievable the difference 4 good games at a world cup have on people's opinion of him as a player. There was a fair bit of indifference towards him on here prior to the world cup if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement