Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd love to see more of Allen and Henderson together in CM but I don't think it is going to happen. It seems most Liverpool fans want Gerrard further forward but loads of managers don't agree!

Yeah Rodgers wants pace in attack and Gerrard hasn't got that.

I'm not writing Gerrard off as I did last season and ended up with egg on my face again. When moved he was very good in the sweeper role.

Obviously the guy is coming towards the end of his career but I'd trust Rodgers to use him properly.

Having another good CB and a quality RB would certainly help a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

tomaussie wrote: »
    He's better than what we have and 6-8 million would be a snip. I really can't understand people judging a player without seeing them play.

How often have you watched him Vanolder ? Maybe if he was foreign and cost £20 million you'd be happier even if you never seen him play ?

I hope we get him.

I've seen him 4/5 times- more than enough. Pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

any interest in bringing Michu in to replace Suarez??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah Rodgers wants pace in attack and Gerrard hasn't got that.

I'm not writing Gerrard off as I did last season and ended up with egg on my face again. When moved he was very good in the sweeper role.

Obviously the guy is coming towards the end of his career but I'd trust Rodgers to use him properly.

Having another good CB and a quality RB would certainly help a lot

I think the sweeper role suits him now . I mean the bloke can pass a ball 60 yards and with all the pace in the team this could be devastating .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

slingerz wrote: »

Wouldn't get in our starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vanolder wrote: »
    I've seen him 4/5 times- more than enough. Pure muck.

As muck as Tevez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wouldn't get in our starting 11

Is Michu not off to Napoli anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Replace a player who scored 31 League goals with a player who scored only 2.

What could go wrong.

djPSB wrote: »

What could go wrong.

Moses will get the other 29

djPSB wrote: »

What could go wrong.

Maybe recall that Michu was injured most of last season while the season before he scored 20 odd league goals.

Sturridge is going to be the main striker for Liverpool so fans should accept that they are not going to bring in another striker like Suarez while Michu has the flexibilty to play as a 10 as well as leading the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Sturridge is going to be the main striker for Liverpool so fans should accept that they are not going to bring in another striker like Suarez while Michu has the flexibilty to play as a 10 as well as leading the line

The problem with Sturridge is he always misses a good chunk of the season with injuries, so unless he's incredibly lucky this season, we're going to need another top quality striker.

edit...

Daniel Sturridge % of #EPL minutes played last 4 seasons:
    10/11 33%
    11/12 66%
    12/13 37%
    13/14 67%
    Overall 51%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

tibor wrote: »
    The problem with Sturridge is he always misses a good chunk of the season with injuries, so unless he's incredibly lucky this season, we're going to need another top quality striker.

edit...

10/11 33%
    11/12 66%
    12/13 37%
    13/14 67%
    Overall 51%

How much of that was injury though and how much was not getting his game at Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

edit...

10/11 33%
    11/12 66%
    12/13 37%
    13/14 67%
    Overall 51%

Do 10/11 and 12/13 take into account time he was available and didn't play - he was at Chelsea both those seasons and figured very little in their plans/was substitute. Iirc he played quite a bit for Liverpool after signing that January (14 games missing a couple through ineligibility and injury)

Using % is a bit misleading as to his fitness, he played in 29 matches out of 38 last season for us. He was subbed off quite a bit after 70/75 minutes in the games where he started.

edit...

10/11 33%
    11/12 66%
    12/13 37%
    13/14 67%
    Overall 51%

Those stats for the first 3 seasons are unfair because he was a backup player who rarely got a chance at Chelsea.

13/14 he was first choice and 11/12 he was first choice for a bit under AVB and his %'s are higher.

He is injury prone though, and we do need someone who can score goals in his absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Sure, the stats look worse than they are because he wasn't getting a sniff at Chelsea regardless, but the point remains that it's likely he'll miss at least 10-12 games this season with various ailments so quality options are definitely required.

James Pearce at the Echo seems to think we will go for one more attacker, hopefully it will be someone who can do a job when Sturridge isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

donfers wrote: »
    We thought the same about Suarez until a few weeks ago :(

Did we?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea's Nemanja Matic has some interesting things to say about Markovic in the Mirror today.
    What can I say about our Markovic? It was excellent playing with this fantastic kid for six months. He has such massive potential that if he changed his attitude in training he could be one of Europe’s best players in his position. But he’s young, he’ll mature, and then nobody will be able to stop him!”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

James Pearce at the Echo seems to think we will go for one more attacker, hopefully it will be someone who can do a job when Sturridge isn't there.

Is that one more attacker overall for signings this summer or just one more in that part of the field. Be worried if we didn't sort out the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Interesting comments re Markovic maybe not applying himself 100% in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is that one more attacker overall for signings this summer or just one more in that part of the field. Be worried if we didn't sort out the defence.

Aside from Lazar and Origi he thinks we will sign another attacking player, a LB and a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Looking for an upside, at least there is some headroom for improvement.

Aside from Lazar and Origi he thinks we will sign another attacking player, a LB and a CB.

There's talks that they are looking for another GK option as they are not overly enamoured with Mignolet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sure Andy Carroll was sh*t at training and look how that turned out.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

AS: Antoine Griezmann rejects Real Sociedad's 2-year extension offer. Wants to leave this summer. Club want sale to highest bidder

SIGN HIM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Club want sale to highest bidder...

Sorry Nuri, I don't think that's us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    AS: Antoine Griezmann rejects Real Sociedad's 2-year extension offer. Wants to leave this summer. Club want sale to highest bidder

SIGN HIM.

Something tells me we'd low ball the sh!t out of the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Its the type of thing I'd trust Brendan to handle

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sure Andy Carroll was sh*t at training and look how that turned out.

Downing was Messi in training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Didn't tuck his shirt in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Something tells me we'd low ball the sh!t out of the offer.

Sign him. Sign him now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Overrated? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Griezmann would be niiiiiiiiiiicccceeeee.

I'm going to allow myself to get excited about this but deep down I know I'll end up disappointed.

A bit like life really.

I don't think my holiday is doing me much good...I have too much time to think about things.

BUY GRIEZMANN FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Griezmann would be niiiiiiiiiiicccceeeee.

I'm going to allow myself to get excited about this but deep down I know I'll end up disappointed.

IA bit like life really.

don't think my holiday is doing me much good...I have too much time to think about things.

BUY GRIEZMANN FFS.

I'm off for the week as well, only I'm outside most of the day, painting.

I fucking hate painting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

If we had a choice who would your prefer Shaqiri or Griezmann?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Offer £75m + Aspas for Griezmann. Ten years on from Alonso's arrival from Sociedad, and subsequent Champions League victory. It's destiny, Knex told me so.

Downing was a menace in training. He kept hiding all the footballs in the bins so no one would make him try to run forward with them. Charlie kept kicking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm off for the week as well, only I'm outside most of the day, painting.

I fucking hate painting.

AA13.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

0028673 wrote: »

Why do we need either of them if we are getting Pogba, Reus and Yaya Toure?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gerrard is key to our style of play quick counter attacking to make the most out of our pacey players.There is nobody in the league with his passing ability from deep. The reason we concede so many goals is because the manager promotes positive play and we never sit back and defend a lead like most teams in the league.At old Trafford despite being a couple of goals up Rodgers continued to make positive changes this obviously shows the team he has huge believe in them and I feel the positives outweigh the negatives which is undoubtedly more goals conceded. When the time comes I've no doubt Rodgers will stop playing Gerrard when there is a better option or a need for a better option.I don't see it being this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

From what I've seen of them I'd prefer Shaqiri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I have not seen that much of Griezmann but I know more knowledgeable posters regard him highly..

Always liked Shaqiri since his Basle days..

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Griezmann, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Why do we need either of them if we are getting Pogba, Reus and Yaya Toure?

Well that would sort LB anyway but we could do with a RB still...

According to Graham Hunter Di Maria is available for €50 million or so, which will allow RM to push for James Rodriguez.

Why not push for Di Maria?

Incidentally Hunter is no big fan of Sanchez. Di maria he reckons is a much better footballer and when asked about Sancehz vs. Pedro, he reckoned Pedro much better also. Which would have been my opinion of the two also prior to being linked to him. No doubt a very good signing for Arsenal but not anywhere near the player some think him to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Fescue wrote: »
    According to Graham Hunter Di Maria is available for €50 million or so, which will allow RM to push for James Rodriguez.

Incidentally Hunter is no big fan of Sanchez. Di maria he reckons is a much better footballer and when asked about Sancehz vs. Pedro, he reckoned Pedro much better also. Which would have been my opinion of the two also prior to being linked to him. No doubt a very good signing for Arsenal but not anywhere near the player some think him to be.

Graham Hunter talks out of his behind more often than not in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Would far rather someone who would compete with Sturridge when he is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yup, invariably it's his opinion as opposed to reporting facts about what has or is likely to happen. I have a very rational dislike for him.

People say that about almost everyone who writes/commentates/whatever on football. In this instance I agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hunter favours any player that comes through La Masia. Sanchez is a better player than Pedro no doubt about imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fescue wrote: »

I dunno about much better, but certainly on a par.
    I don't know what the actual stats are but my impression is that Sanchez is a better dribbler (which is an aspect of play we've obviously lost with Suarez) but he's slower and a worse finisher.

But I don't think Barca want to sell Pedro (obviously with good reason).

Di Maria would be a great signing. He's proven he has what it takes for Real season after season and they keep on buying players. Don't know why they don't just trust him. He wouldn't replace the goals but he's an absolute assist machine.

He's a bit of a git, but at least he doesn't bite people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement