Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd personally prefer Di Maria than Sanchez or at least consider him on a par, would love to see Liverpool go all out and get him but can't see it happening. Realistically if Real Madrid want rid of him he is going to leave, and there are only so many clubs who could take him. Would probably be more likely to go to someone like Juventus or PSG before us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I'd personally prefer Di Maria than Sanchez or at least consider him on a par, would love to see Liverpool go all out and get him but can't see it happening. Realistically if Real Madrid want rid of him he is going to leave, and there are only so many clubs who could take him. Would probably be more likely to go to someone like Juventus or PSG before us though.

If Di Maria is available I think you'll see clubs like Utd, Bayern, Chelsea, City, PSG making a move, unfortunately for us. But you never know so put in a big offer and see if others are willing to match it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He wouldn't replace the goals directly but you could see him bringing even more out of Sterling, Henderson and all our other pacy players, not to mention becoming Sturridge's favourite person in the world.

I'd eat my hat if we signed him though. He's not getting booted out of Madrid because he's not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Fescue wrote: »
    If Di Maria is available I think you'll see clubs like Utd, Bayern, Chelsea, City, PSG making a move, unfortunately for us. But you never know so put in a big offer and see if others are willing to match it.

Why would you put UTD in the same bracket as the rest of them? I'd imagine UTD are just as unattractive this year as we were a few years ago when we weren't doing so well, albeit they've a far more attractive manager than Dalglish/Hodgson were. I could see them to the other teams but I doubt United would have the same pull as the rest of them.

Why would you put UTD in the same bracket as the rest of them? I'd imagine UTD are just as unattractive this year as we were a few years ago when we weren't doing so well, albeit they've a far more attractive manager than Dalglish/Hodgson were.

Lets not kid ourselves, they are a massive club. Plus they have the financial means to compete with most others.

• Advertisement

Lets not kid ourselves, they are a massive club. Plus they have the financial means to compete with most others.

I dunno, I just think players look more at the current situation than past achievements. Inter for example would have been a massive club a few years ago but now they can't attract anyone too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why would you put UTD in the same bracket as the rest of them? I'd imagine UTD are just as unattractive this year as we were a few years ago when we weren't doing so well, albeit they've a far more attractive manager than Dalglish/Hodgson were.

There not really one year out of the CL is nothing a new manager who is in the World Cup semi final and they can offer huge wages would still be a huge draw for players.

I dunno, I just think players look more at the current situation than past achievements. Inter for example would have been a massive club a few years ago but now they can't attract anyone too big.

Inter can't offer 150k/200k wages a week Utd can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Current situation is that they're offering huge wages, they've got a world renowned coach, some world renowned players, and have some first team places up for grabs.
    Like it or not, one season out of the CL will not cause United to regress to the level you're thinking of.
    They ****ed up last season but they've invested heavily to make sure the champions league exile doesn't last.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes: I still have high hopes for their financial meltdown though! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There not really one year out of the CL is nothing a new manager who is in the World Cup semi final and they can offer huge wages would still be a huge draw for players.

For the most part, Champions League football is a convenient excuse used by players to move to a club to get higher wages. Look at the players that went to play in France (a mickey mouse league in comparison to Spain/England/Germany).

Wages are the defining factor in getting players and United seem to be willing to cough up, meaning they can land almost anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Probably just wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes: I still have high hopes for their financial meltdown though! :pac:

The Chevrolet sponsorship is worth £50 million per year. (£350 over 7 years) The new kit deal is rumoured to be worth £75 million per year (£750 over 10 years).
    This on top of profits of £146.4 million in 2013, which is expected to rise in 2014.

I think you are writing United's obituary a little too soon. ;)

The Chevrolet sponsorship is worth £50 million per year. (£350 over 7 years) The new kit deal is rumoured to be worth £75 million per year (£750 over 10 years).
    This on top of profits of £146.4 million in 2013, which is expected to rise in 2014.

Shhh! I like this little bubble, please don't burst it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gbear wrote: »
    I dunno about much better, but certainly on a par.
    I don't know what the actual stats are but my impression is that Sanchez is a better dribbler (which is an aspect of play we've obviously lost with Suarez) but he's slower and a worse finisher.

But I don't think Barca want to sell Pedro (obviously with good reason).

Di Maria would be a great signing. He's proven he has what it takes for Real season after season and they keep on buying players. Don't know why they don't just trust him. He wouldn't replace the goals but he's an absolute assist machine.

He's a bit of a git, but at least he doesn't bite people.

I just think they're slightly different players. Both would probably be most at home in one of the wide slots of a 4-3-3, but I don't think that makes them totally comparable. They're both world class, and getting either would be a phenomenal coup for the club.

But as I said, I think they are a bit differently positionally and style-wise, and for this reason, with Suarez going, push come to shove I would prefer Sanchez.

If I had to put them into a 'midfielder' or 'forward' bracket, I would put Di Maria in the former and Sanchez into the latter. (A bit like I would with Coutinho and Sterling, despite them often vying for/playing the same position)

Sanchez scores more goals. He likes to run in behind and has the pace to do it.

Di Maria is a bit more 'classy', maybe has better vision and would have the technical ability and intelligence to feel really comfortable playing a little deeper - would have no problem functioning in the '2' of the 1-2 midfield imo. Sanchez couldn't play here.

And Sanchez would have no problem functioning in the front 2 alongside Sturridge if so needed. Di Maria wouldn't be too effective in this role.

So for this reason, with Suarez on his way out, I would love Sanchez as I'm sure he'd bring a good deal of goals to the table. I totally understand those who think Di Maria is a better player (maybe he is), and if he was available I'd love it if we were in for him, but Sanchez would be my pick of the 2.

We're not going to get either though :(

The majority of that will go to service the clubs debt to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

this will go down like a tone of bricks but i actually would tip Utd for the league next season.
    i honestly believe we will be battling Arsenal for 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

woodyg wrote: »
    this will go down like a tone of bricks but i actually would tip Utd for the league next season.

Can see it happening. Think Chelsea will be the team to beat though

I still think they have a long road back to the league. Especially with no quality centre backs as it stands.

Winning is a habit and once you lose it, it can be tough to get it back.

I do expect them to be fighting it out for a top four place though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Just spotted this on twitter... not sure if it's his real account but it gives more reason for disliking the guy :mad:

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague · 1h
    Been told Arsenal will pay less than 30m for Alexis. Lallana was 25. Fair valuation u think considering age, goal record, experience?
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 1,452 times1.5K FavoriteFavorited 452 times452
    More

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

8-10 wrote: »
    Can see it happening. Think Chelsea will be the team to beat though

Yep I think they'll romp to the title. City to be weaker this season. United to be back in the mix. I'm thinking us gooners and you pool fans will be resuming hostilities soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Doubt it, it's going to take time to sort out the club. United have been playing bad football for 3 or 4 seasons now, major rehab is needed on that front as we were running on the Fergie factor for too long.

I expect it will be United and Liverpool going for 4th with Chelsea, City and Arsenal going for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not with those defenders.

Hard to look past the usual Man City/Chelsea. Maybe Chelsea as I think City will be looking to make a big push in Europe.

The majority of that will go to service the clubs debt to be fair.

Sorry, but you're very far off the mark with that. :)

Sorry, but you're very far off the mark with that. :)

Since the Glazers took over...
    In total, over £696m has gone towards interest fees, bank charges and debt repayment, with £382.9m invested in players – from the £2m signing of Edwin van der Sar a month after the takeover to the £37.1m club-record purchase of Juan Mata last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

0028673 wrote: »
    Just spotted this on twitter... not sure if it's his real account but it gives more reason for disliking the guy :mad:

Been told Arsenal will pay less than 30m for Alexis. Lallana was 25. Fair valuation u think considering age, goal record, experience?
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 1,452 times1.5K FavoriteFavorited 452 times452
    More

Mans a spoofer if I ever saw one, cant understand how he has the standing he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Love the way Lallana's price is anything from 16 to 25 million.

Since the Glazers took over...

Yes, it's rather tragic and infuriating. But that amount has already been paid. As far as I can work out, there's about £360 million left to pay. Which is obviously not the majority of the earnings that are coming to the club with those two deals (£1.1 BILLION).

Just wanted to point out that that is not manchester united's debt. It's debt incurred by the Glazer "family". I just hope no other club has to endure such a thing. It's obscene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

More

Ya its his real account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

"Riera is not a target of Liverpool, i believe he is a smokescreen for another player" - Guillem Balague

3 days later Riera signs and that quote deleted off Balague's website.

Lesson endeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Lojak wrote: »
    Mans a spoofer if I ever saw one, cant understand how he has the standing he has.

I'm not going to lie but I know a good few people including myself who refer to him as ball b*g .

Guillem Balague at one time may have had ITK contacts because of his friendship with Rafa but I don't think that still stands today.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Roma in talks with Bayern over Shaqiri according to Romano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Roma in talks for Shaqiri apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Ah here, we're being slow off the mark again.....

Surely the club felt Markovic was a better bet in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Morzadec wrote: »
    I just think they're slightly different players. Both would probably be most at home in one of the wide slots of a 4-3-3, but I don't think that makes them totally comparable. They're both world class, and getting either would be a phenomenal coup for the club.

But as I said, I think they are a bit differently positionally and style-wise, and for this reason, with Suarez going, push come to shove I would prefer Sanchez.

If I had to put them into a 'midfielder' or 'forward' bracket, I would put Di Maria in the former and Sanchez into the latter. (A bit like I would with Coutinho and Sterling, despite them often vying for/playing the same position)

Sanchez scores more goals. He likes to run in behind and has the pace to do it.

Di Maria is a bit more 'classy', maybe has better vision and would have the technical ability and intelligence to feel really comfortable playing a little deeper - would have no problem functioning in the '2' of the 1-2 midfield imo. Sanchez couldn't play here.

And Sanchez would have no problem functioning in the front 2 alongside Sturridge if so needed. Di Maria wouldn't be too effective in this role.

So for this reason, with Suarez on his way out, I would love Sanchez as I'm sure he'd bring a good deal of goals to the table. I totally understand those who think Di Maria is a better player (maybe he is), and if he was available I'd love it if we were in for him, but Sanchez would be my pick of the 2.

We're not going to get either though :(

I'd agree with a lot of that, the last point in particular.

But I reckon if we could somehow get Di Maria, he'd be a better bet than many other players who'd fit the wide forward more easily.

He's so good we'd be better off adapting.

Also, he works his balls off and seems to keep a spare set of legs handy in his kit bags.

:(

I was really hoping for one of Sanchez or Shaqiri...

Really hope Markovic is worth it..

We still have Suarez money to look forward to :)

What's taking so long to get rid of him actually? Seems to have gone very quiet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd agree with a lot of that, the last point in particular.

But I reckon if we could somehow get Di Maria, he'd be a better bet than many other players who'd fit the wide forward more easily.

He's so good we'd be better off adapting.

Also, he works his balls off and seems to keep a spare set of legs handy in his kit bags.

Get Di Maria? And where would the money come from for a much needed striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Has he signed yet?

• Advertisement

We still have Suarez money to look forward to :)

What's taking so long to get rid of him actually? Seems to have gone very quiet again

I'd say it's down to us wanting a lump sum and Barca wanting to break it up over 4/5 years.

8-10 wrote: »
    Has he signed yet?

Not yet but it does seem likely according to James Pearce,Tony Barrett and Ben Smith. There more reliable than most Journalists..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'd say it's down to us wanting a lump sum and Barca wanting to break it up over 4/5 years.

I would make them pay in one lump sum . It means LFC can prepare for the future if not say no he ain't we don't accept you paying for him over 5 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

RE Lazar and Matics comments. The same guy tweeted this
    Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall 2h
    Markovic has matured since Matic left. He had a drop in form before Christmas, but his workrate and performances was amazing after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Moses will get the other 29

Actually he will get 39. Owes us 19 from last season and add that to his regular 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If Barca don't pay all the money upfront.

h44870A07

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Forget who Tweeted it, but someone said yesterday that Barca's medical staff chief is out in Brazil to assess Neymar and the conclusion to the Suarez sale will be wrapped up on his return.

Imagine if we ended up keeping him... :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

RE Lazar and Matics comments. The same guy tweeted this

Twitter suggesting his medical is tomorrow
    Be nice to get this wrapped as there seems to be a bit of interest building in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

This is all very familiar:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement