Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Fibre Connection - Not eFibre

Options
  • 25-06-2014 1:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Where I live is due to be enabled for eFibre in 2016 and my next town over (Kenmare, Co. Kerry) is getting eFibre sometime this year (October according to the eFibre checker). As a result of Eircoms investment into this eFibre rollout I now find myself in the position with a direct fibre-optic cable running outside my front door and Eircom contractors KN Networks are currently laying over 30kms of fibre-optic cable between Kenmare to connect to the Fibre grid near Killarney. 

As this cable is so near it would be very easy for me to connect to it and get truly high speed connectivity of 100mb+, speeds I will never atain either through efibre or through my current ADSL2+ connection which gives me 12mb as I live over 2KM from my local Exchange and will still be outside the efibre coverage of the village if and when it is launched in 2016 unless Eircom has more ambitious plans to roll out eFibre cabinets outside of the villages and towns to more rural locations. 

I know such direct fibre optic connections are generally more the mainstay of big business but I'd like to find out what it costs and monthly fees etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hi,

Where I live is due to be enabled for eFibre in 2016 and my next town over (Kenmare, Co. Kerry) is getting eFibre sometime this year (October according to the eFibre checker). As a result of Eircoms investment into this eFibre rollout I now find myself in the position with a direct fibre-optic cable running outside my front door and Eircom contractors KN Networks are currently laying over 30kms of fibre-optic cable between Kenmare to connect to the Fibre grid near Killarney. 

As this cable is so near it would be very easy for me to connect to it and get truly high speed connectivity of 100mb+, speeds I will never atain either through efibre or through my current ADSL2+ connection which gives me 12mb as I live over 2KM from my local Exchange and will still be outside the efibre coverage of the village if and when it is launched in 2016 unless Eircom has more ambitious plans to roll out eFibre cabinets outside of the villages and towns to more rural locations. 

I know such direct fibre optic connections are generally more the mainstay of big business but I'd like to find out what it costs and monthly fees etc.

Hi Stinicker

While I can understand this would be a major benefit to you I can confirm that this will not be available. I have been informed by efibre operations & planning that they will not be offering service of any directly fed fibre optic cables used in the delivery of efibre in its current infrastructural plans.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hi,

It can be ordered from some ISPs. You could be looking at over €10k installation costs, then huge monthly costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Yeah... the monthly cost of a dedicated fibre connection would be more than the total annual cost of an eFibre connection, especially for 100Mb+ speed. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kensington wrote: »
    Yeah... the monthly cost of a dedicated fibre connection would be more than the total annual cost of an eFibre connection, especially for 100Mb+ speed. 
    Does anyone know what providers do this? I have a business idea which I'd like to start up (online business) which would be reliant on having a direct fibre optic connection for proper connectivity. I have already spoken to Eircom and they just seem to reiterate what I've already heard here. Eircom don't seem to really know or aren't interested which is funny because I have a friend with another business which is heavily dependent on Internet connectivity and had over 30 staff employed, this business last year was struggling on a pathetic 2mb line from Eircom and despite his pleas for better connectivity Eircom came back to him with an offer to give him fibre optic connectivity for €30k despite he being some 25kms from the nearest fibre. I myself am less than 10 meters from Eircom's fibre and nobody is even attempting to offer me connectivity.

I'm only going to be a start up myself but I am not even going to attempt unless I have Fibre connectivity, relocating to a different part of Ireland is not an option either as this start up will consume huge resources of mine and unless I can get fibre where I am then it is already dead in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Eircom do, as do a number of carriers (I won't mention as this is an Eircom board after all!)

However it's not a matter of simply splicing into a fibre cable that runs past your house and getting hooked up, that fibre can be used for a wide variety of different purposes, topologies and technology.

If its bandwidth intensive stuff you're doing you might be better off renting some space in a datacentre or getting a hosted server instance.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You'd get much better back for buck in a data centre, together with better provisioning, snapshots, UPS etc.

Advertisement