Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free alternatives to Adobe ACrobat

Options
  • 25-06-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I downloaded adobe acrobat's trial version but it has now expired.

It's a very good program for editing pdf files. However I cant afford to subscribe as its too expensive. Are there any free alternatives to it?

I tried converting pdf files to word but it looks manky when I edit them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I always use the "alternativeto" site for checking alternate software(s).

http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-reader/

Foxit is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

OpenOffice is free and allows documents to be exported in PDF format. Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Dally wrote: »
    OpenOffice is free and allows documents to be exported in PDF format. Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for though.

I think OP is looking to edit pdf's directly.

A workaround would be to upload the file to google drive and ensure that the "convert uploaded image / pdf docs" is checked.

This isn't perfect as if the pdf is set up with embedded images/content, it will just export a page with the image instead of the text. If the document is just pure text it might convert it (the wonders of OCR!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

foxit pdf offering is less than 1/2 the price of acrobat writer.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

if your willing to pay something, but dont want to pay adobe's price it may be worth investigating. at the very least you can use their 30 day trial.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 15 urbanjim1

I've just started using Foxit, and find that really ideal for commenting on and reviewing documents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Thanks lads. I'll give this Foxit trial a try first and I'll have a look at the others later.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Word 2014 also does PDF editing if you have that handy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Overheal wrote: »
    Word 2014 also does PDF editing if you have that handy

Have Micro$oft released a new version? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

urbanjim1 wrote: »
    I've just started using Foxit, and find that really ideal for commenting on and reviewing documents.

You can do that in Acrobat Reader too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Skerries wrote: »
    Have Micro$oft released a new version? ;)

If. You. Have. That. Handy. Ta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement