Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD scholarship Interview

Options
  • 25-06-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi all,

I went for an interview for a PhD scholarship a couple of days ago and insofar as I could see, did well.

There's a few things that really struck me however. I knew my subject area really well, so much so that when I sat down to make interview notes a month ago I ended up with a 9,000 word document which verged on two thirds the length of my MSc thesis!

Anyway, long story short, I came out feeling deflated and underwhelmed. I was asked the usual questions as to why I wanted to do a PhD and my previous research experience and I delivered the expected answers. When the questions moved onto the technical aspect, I was barely tested. They asked a few questions about the practical difficulties I might envision based on my research proposal (which was only allowed to be 1000 words in length but was reasonably good) and asked a few follow-up questions which seemed to basically extend from the answers that I gave. At one point I was marginally perturbed by a question and when I asked if I had answered in the correct manner, I was told that that was "exactly what they wanted to hear".

I wasn't pushed hard at all and it actually came to the point where I was trying to almost over-elaborate my answers to show them the actual extent of my knowledge. I got to ask a few questions which they politely answered and was then brought on a tour of the facilities. Day over. The interview portion lasted 35 mins tops.

I feel so deflated I don't know what to make of it all. This university paid all of my flight and hotel expenses (UK university), yet I feel my time was totally wasted. This was only two days ago so I'm yet to hear back but it looks to me like I was never under serious consideration. Why in the name of Jesus would I be dragged all that way for nothing?

Rant over.

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Just to clarify on this guys, looking at the lack of replies I don't necessarily need any positive answers for consolation, I'm well aware the outlook isn't good for me. Just wondering if anyone might have had similar experiences :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had a similar experience when interviewed for a PhD scholarship. Went out of the interview feeling like it went terrible and was convinced I'd failed it. Got an email a few days later offering me the scholarship. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Coming out of interviews, you'll always overanalyse everything. Nothing to be done about it now but if they brought you over, you must have been under serious consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If they paid for your flights and accommodation you can assume they've likely already decided that you've made the cut on the technical basis and they're just checking that you're a functioning person that they might consider actually supervising.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    If they paid for your flights and accommodation you can assume they've likely already decided that you've made the cut on the technical basis and they're just checking that you're a functioning person that they might consider actually supervising.

Guys I appreciate the replies very much, just felt so underwhelmed by it all and the lack pressure they put me under was disconcerting. I will check back when I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Guys I appreciate the replies very much, just felt so underwhelmed by it all and the lack pressure they put me under was disconcerting. I will check back when I know more.

I had a similar experience but for what it's worth, I didn't get offered any expenses towards the interview and I still ended up getting it. That they were willing to pay your way says you must have been a very serious candidate!

One of the interviewers later told me that those being selected for interview are already seen as very high calibre but they needed to bring interviews to screen for "head-the-balls" (his words) as sometimes candidates can seem very good on paper but can be too cantankerous or awkward to work well with the supervisor.

There's not much that can be done about it now but I wouldn't stress over this. If you get it, then let us know!

• Advertisement

Lockstep wrote: »
    I had a similar experience but for what it's worth, I didn't get offered any expenses towards the interview and I still ended up getting it. That they were willing to pay your way says you must have been a very serious candidate!

One of the interviewers later told me that those being selected for interview are already seen as very high calibre but they needed to bring interviews to screen for "head-the-balls" (his words) as sometimes candidates can seem very good on paper but can be too cantankerous or awkward to work well with the supervisor.

There's not much that can be done about it now but I wouldn't stress over this. If you get it, then let us know!

Ha ha! I will do thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

I didn't do an interview for my scholarship, but I know funding bodies value succinctness and phrasing things simply in filling in applications, so I'd imagine it's the same with interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

I would speculate that you have that scholarship in the bag. Forgive me for being blunt, but PhD is the new masters. In ireland they had out Phds now like ice pops on a sunny day. Years ago the PhD had such weight, now with the amount of people getting them, they have dropped.

Colleges as well are doing so many PhDs that the parameters for who they give them to has become lax. As well the money they offer is not that much, 13K a year. They dont have to try and get the top students (not saying you are not a top student).

Post Doc has now become the new PhD.

Out of curiosity what is your area of expertise?

Lockstep wrote: »
    as sometimes candidates can seem very good on paper but can be too cantankerous or awkward to work well with the supervisor.
    !

very important. You are chosen on your ability to work well with people as much as the merit on your cv. Will you listen. Have you good interpersonal skills and so on.

I would speculate that you have that scholarship in the bag. Forgive me for being blunt, but PhD is the new masters. In ireland they had out Phds now like ice pops on a sunny day. Years ago the PhD had such weight, now with the amount of people getting them, they have dropped.

Colleges as well are doing so many PhDs that the parameters for who they give them to has become lax. As well the money they offer is not that much, 13K a year. They dont have to try and get the top students (not saying you are not a top student).

Post Doc has now become the new PhD.

Out of curiosity what is your area of expertise?

I agree with everything you have said. My area is sport and exercise science and I'm yet to hear back but I'll give it a few more days. If there were many places going in the field I wouldn't be too worried but I've seen just three viable projects in 2014.

• Advertisement

I agree with everything you have said. My area is sport and exercise science and I'm yet to hear back but I'll give it a few more days. If there were many places going in the field I wouldn't be too worried but I've seen just three viable projects in 2014.

ah yea you will get an email saying you are accepted. If not you could always suggest your own project and get funding for that.

Hi all. Just updating on this and thanks to all who contributed. After two weeks I was offered the scholarship today :)

Thanks

J

Advertisement