Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a good boot of stalking 8,10,12 inch which one....

Options
  • 25-06-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

i usually ware wellies when rough shooting/stalking but due to recuring ankle injury's because of football i find their is little or no support in the wellies.so im looking for a good boot but not sure and the height 8,10,or 12 inch.would the higher boot provide more support and been higher better for water crossing ect ect.i was looking at these harkila pro hunter gtx.any suggests would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I have a pair of meindl army pro for the last 3 years or so and use them for everything, hunting and hiking, walking the dog ect. Very comfortable boots and iv never got wet. Protac in the curragh is where I got mine

http://www.protac.ie/shop/meindl-army-pro/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

British Army Pro Boot, you can buy them new on ebay for as little as £30 + postage - NEW, they are gore tex lined. They are soft and comfortable. Cover them in plenty dubbing/polish/wax and they are completely waterproof.

Oh and you can get the new HAIX british army boots for about £65 + Postage.

I have a pair of Meindl Dovre extremes and they are cracked I should have used dubbin on the leather but I stuck with using that meindl boot wax. They are €300 + not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

nice one mate will look into them thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

British Army Pro Boot, you can buy them new on ebay for as little as £30 + postage - NEW, they are gore tex lined. They are soft and comfortable. Cover them in plenty dubbing/polish/wax and they are completely waterproof.

The boots are waterproof and very comfortable but the soles don't last they will crumble away.
    I got caught on Lug a few years ago, soles were fine starting but in ****e at the top, by the time i got down the hard outer rubber was gone and the foam inner was flittered, if i had any further to go i would have been in my socks.
    just google British pro boot sole issues
    other options are
    meindle, lowa and haix are all available as military surplus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I spent more money the previous 3 years on cheaper boots than my one pair of meindles which still look like new. Buy right, buy once imo and dont scrimp on boots if you can afford to buy a good pair

triskell wrote: »
    The boots are waterproof and very comfortable but the soles don't last they will crumble away.
    I got caught on Lug a few years ago, soles were fine starting but in ****e at the top, by the time i got down the hard outer rubber was gone and the foam inner was flittered, if i had any further to go i would have been in my socks.
    just google British pro boot sole issues
    other options are
    meindle, lowa and haix are all available as military surplus

True I've seen some second hand ones in the army surplus in Midleton and the soles were ****e. You could write your name on the road with them.
    The new ones I got were a bit dirty too lots of black ****e coming off of them around the house but they are fine now.

I also have a pair of new german paratrooper boots they are good too, they are made by Haix, but not as comfy as the brit ones.

If I were you I'ld look for a new pair of British Army Haix on ebay, like these http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=british+army+haix&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

Get to army navy surplus store and get a pair of goretex have a pair with 2 years and great support walking and waterproof...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I wear Meindl vacuum with a gore-tex gaiter (when I need it).

Great boots that will last for years if cared for so the investment is worth it.

I also have garmont peak gtx boots if I need more support, again, another great boot if they fit you.

Like anything, fit is everything when it comes to comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I'm on my second pair of aigle, 1st pair the sole disintegrated/perished after 2 years, they were never abused or used hard, use them for shooting not mountain walking,
    Had some hassle trying to get a replacement pair,
    Got a pair of there gtx boots, nice comfy boot hope it lasts,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Danner boots are worth having a look at. My 1st pair lasted 5 years of near daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brixworkwear

The Higher the boot the better the support. the higher up the leg you go the less your ankle can move about.

Some of the haix also come with a big tough sole that is designed so that it will make every step the same no matter the terrain underneath. I have glass ankles and uneven ground was always a risk. I have the Haix Montana which is sadly discontinued (still a few pair knocking about from different suppliers but they are in odd sizes. You might get lucky). I never came close to turning over on my ankle. They took be about 3 weeks to break in cause of the thick leather but the are now 5 years old and still going strong for the same reason.

The new haix British army boot (the scout) is a little more flexable. still great support but I think you would be better in a meatier boot

P.S. never put dubbin/Vaseline on a goretex boot. the goretex works by sucking the water vapour into the boot and out through the leather if you put dubbin on the boot the leather cant breathe and the water will not get out leaving you with a very sweaty boot. look for a goretex approved conditioner or something similar. dubbin is for boots with no lining to keep the inside dry.

Regards
    Gerry

Advertisement