Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a cat colony (Limerick City North)

• 25-06-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Alright there's a local cat colony in the neighbourhood that is growing out of control (population explosion).

No one else seems to be interested in doing anything about it so I'm trepidatiously looking into it myself.

So first question is are there any recommended vets that will be willing to neuter these cats at a discounted rate?

Second question is would Limerick Animal Welfare be willing to take some in for re-homing? The current population size is unsustainable even if people are helping them out with food etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Maybe also post this situation in the Animal and Pet Issues forum in Rec. you might get some good advice from contributors who deal with this sort of thing.

It would seem unfair that you should personally pay vet fees for something that is a public nuisance. Maybe call the council or your local ISPCA for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Get in touch with the Limerick Feral Cats organisation

http://www.limerickferalcats.com/

Very good bunch of folks who will help if they can, and will offer good advice if they cannot help themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Kess73 wrote: »
    Get in touch with the Limerick Feral Cats organisation

http://www.limerickferalcats.com/

Very good bunch of folks who will help if they can, and will offer good advice if they cannot help themselves.

+1

We also had a large cat colony and got in touch with the Limerick Feral Cats organisation.

They came to our place trapped, neutered, vaccinated and released the cats. We now feel much better having the population under control.

They are not a registered charity so any donations would be hugely appreciated.

Emma is the person you need to get in touch with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We've used Limerick Feral Cats too (I'm on a residents committee and we had a cat problem last year).
    For each cat caught, we paid half of the vets bill to get it neutered. There were about 10 cats caught.

LFC can only do so much though... if they miss a couple of cats (through no fault of their own), then you could be back to square one next year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I've been in contact with LFC and they're definitely going to be a group who I'm going to call upon for some assistance. In fact they reckon if left unchecked the colony could expand to 20 - 30 by the end of the year:eek:

The main problem is while a few anonymous people may be willing to give the cats the odd scrap of food (I'm one of those) I'm basically alone on this attempt to head off this looming population catastrophe (forgive the pun). They're barely surviving as it is so the projected population boom is clearly unsustainable.

I'd rather not call in any authorities as I have an odd feeling that might result in... exterminations for lack of a better word.

Even with the discounted vet rates that LFC can secure it's going to be fairly expensive to do the whole population. Now I'm willing to look after one or two but numbers beyond that is impractical for me especially with money been tight.

I'm also quite willing to invest the time to trap them which shouldn't be so hard as a lot of them would be strays that rely on human contact to survive.

The main issues are the cost of neutering them and a place to take some of them for adoption / relocation (too many here already!), I'm hoping Limerick Animal Welfare can help with both problems as I can't find any other group to turn to. LFC is purely an NTR group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Champ wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I've been in contact with LFC and they're definitely going to be a group who I'm going to call upon for some assistance. In fact they reckon if left unchecked the colony could expand to 20 - 30 by the end of the year:eek:

The main problem is while a few anonymous people may be willing to give the cats the odd scrap of food (I'm one of those) I'm basically alone on this attempt to head off this looming population catastrophe (forgive the pun). They're barely surviving as it is so the projected population boom is clearly unsustainable.

I'd rather not call in any authorities as I have an odd feeling that might result in... exterminations for lack of a better word.

Even with the discounted vet rates that LFC can secure it's going to be fairly expensive to do the whole population. Now I'm willing to look after one or two but numbers beyond that is impractical for me especially with money been tight.

I'm also quite willing to invest the time to trap them which shouldn't be so hard as a lot of them would be strays that rely on human contact to survive.

The main issues are the cost of neutering them and a place to take some of them for adoption / relocation (too many here already!), I'm hoping Limerick Animal Welfare can help with both problems as I can't find any other group to turn to. LFC is purely an NTR group.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 TembaWidearm

Just wanted to say, you're a good person for looking out for the cats. The LFC are fantastic, they have neutered loads of cats around my area, and you can tell they really care about their wellbeing. Good luck with it!

Advertisement