Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kegged Bull Dog Evil Dog beer - how long to leave before chill/pour?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Quick question - a week ago I put my brewing Bull Dog Evil Dog beer into a Cornelius keg for the second fermentation.

How long should I leave it before chilling/serving?

EDIT: I think the 'Homebrew HowTo' thread answered my question;
    "Leave in a coolish dark place for as long as you can before drinking- at least 2 weeks."

So I should leave it for two weeks before chilling, or can a fridge at 5C be the 'coolish' place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Have you carbonated it yet?

If you're adding Co2 directly from a gas cannister, a cooler temperature will allow you beer to absorb gas quicker. Many of us do that (force carbonate) and usually beer will be ready in about 3 or 4 days- depending on how much carbon dioxide you want to add & how fizzy you want it. I usually set my gas regulator at the amount of pressure i want, turn on the tap full blast and leave for a few day.

If you are going to just add sugar to carbonate (not recommended, but can be done), same rules as bottle carbonation- leave it somewhere sufficiently warm so that the yeasties are awake to prime your keg- and this will take at least two weeks to get your beer primed.

If you're simply adding to the keg for secondary fermentation, I can't help you there. I never bother with it anymore and there is huge disparity in views in whether it aids or detracts from a beer (not to mention, adds a significant piece to the brewing workload for questionable return).

Hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yea, it seems I went down the track of secondary fermentation :) in theory after a week or so it should be ready to chill.

I keep seeing 'clearing' mentioned when it comes to bottling - does this basically mean secondary fermentation finishing and the yeast dropping to the bottom thus clearing the beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

KeRbDoG wrote: »

I keep seeing 'clearing' mentioned when it comes to bottling - does this basically mean secondary fermentation finishing and the yeast dropping to the bottom thus clearing the beer?

Yes, that is basically it. Enjoy the brew!

Advertisement