Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthy eating on the road

• 25-06-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Without a fridge what sort of things can I bring if I'm on the road a lot?
    Fruit is the obvious one I suppose and maybe sandwiches?
    Are cool boxes any good for this?

Comments

Cold chicken stir fry is ok with me, boiled eggs, salads with a lot of protein in them eg beef and poached pear walnut blue cheese salad, better hot but I would still eat it cold
    or tuna boiled egg mayo feta nut salad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If I'm somewhere with no access to a microwave or anything, I'll bring ingredients for a salad. I would have two tupperware boxes; one with washed lettuce leaves, and the other with everything else (e.g. chicken pieces, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, hummus, parmesan, etc) and combine the two when ready to eat. Used to have everything in the one box before but after 3-4 hours, the lettuce is too soggy from the dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If I'm somewhere with no access to a microwave or anything, I'll bring ingredients for a salad. I would have two tupperware boxes; one with washed lettuce leaves, and the other with everything else (e.g. chicken pieces, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, hummus, parmesan, etc) and combine the two when ready to eat. Used to have everything in the one box before but after 3-4 hours, the lettuce is too soggy from the dressing.

put the dressing into a small jar and bring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If I were on the road constantly I'd eat more protein and fats than carbs and sugar as you'll be full for longer so you'll be less inclined to snack.

Eggs, chicken legs/drumsticks, salmon, ham, roast beef slices, big tubs of salads with lots of dark leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, peppers, feta, Parmesan etc and some dressing. Put the dressing on before you eat to keep the salad fresh.

For snacks some Greek yoghurt, berries, a handful of nuts (but go easy on these and don't over eat on them).

Start the day with an omelette and you'll find you won't even think about food for 4-5 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

What I have with me today is

2 chicken breasts (which were cooked last night in lemon, thyme and butter)
    4 small tomatoes
    half a cucumber
    30 cashew nuts
    some cheese
    3 litre bottles of water
    and soup for lunch

I definitely feel fuller for longer on protein and fats.

Tuna with cottage cheese and some peppers is another favourite of mine.

Basically anything that you can chop up and store in a lunchbox for a few hours is an on the go food.
    Something I always have in the fridge to grab and bring with me if I'm in a hurry is sliced ham or chicken (from the butcher's counter, not prepacked) and (this may sound very weird) some Ella's Kitchen organic vegetable pouches. You know the squeezy ones? Now I know they are technically baby food but all they are is a veggie smoothie, you can get fruit ones as well. I find these really handy to throw into my bag if I'm going somewhere so I won't be tempted to eat ****e if I get caught out late somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Hahaha I second the babyfood thing, I bring 5 of them if I'm out in the field, easy way to get veg in.

If preparing food isn't your thing, you could order some large bags of biltong online and bring a bit of it with you each time!

Advertisement