Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refilled Tooth - Can't chew on it anymore

Options
  • 25-06-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So I went to the dentist for a check up a few months ago and I was told there was a bit of decay around a silver filling I had. So I agreed to have the filling re-done to clean out the decay.

I got a white filling this time and was expecting some sensitivity for awhile after. I found that when I tried to floss in between that tooth and another, I got a sharp pain, and also when I ate something that hit this particular spot, I also got a shooting pain.

So, I went back and explained. The dentist then said, sometimes it can take awhile for them to settle, or there could be an air bubble trapped, causing pressure. She took out the filling and put in a temporary one that contained a sedative to ensure the nerves were calmed down. I kept this for 1-2 weeks and then got a replacement white filling.

The latest white filling I have, has gotten rid of the sharp pain in the particular spot I mentioned earlier, but overall, I can't chew on that tooth anymore. It sends a sharp pain through the whole tooth now.

I don't know what to do. Losing hope on it feeling ok again at this stage.

Has happened to anyone before? And should I keep going back to this dentist or try another?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

ajones wrote: »
    So I went to the dentist for a check up a few months ago and I was told there was a bit of decay around a silver filling I had. So I agreed to have the filling re-done to clean out the decay.

I got a white filling this time and was expecting some sensitivity for awhile after. I found that when I tried to floss in between that tooth and another, I got a sharp pain, and also when I ate something that hit this particular spot, I also got a shooting pain.

So, I went back and explained. The dentist then said, sometimes it can take awhile for them to settle, or there could be an air bubble trapped, causing pressure. She took out the filling and put in a temporary one that contained a sedative to ensure the nerves were calmed down. I kept this for 1-2 weeks and then got a replacement white filling.

The latest white filling I have, has gotten rid of the sharp pain in the particular spot I mentioned earlier, but overall, I can't chew on that tooth anymore. It sends a sharp pain through the whole tooth now.

I don't know what to do. Losing hope on it feeling ok again at this stage.

Has happened to anyone before? And should I keep going back to this dentist or try another?

it is difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the case, but there is a chance that the nerve in the tooth is slowly giving up the ghost and this is sometimes a sequelae of decay under the filling, trauma from the filling , deep filling etc, you may end up needing a root canal treatment. this is a known issue , talk to the dentist ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ajones

Would you suggest going to the same dentist? or moving back to my old dentist maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

ajones wrote: »
    Would you suggest going to the same dentist? or moving back to my old dentist maybe?

Is best to talk to the chap who did the filling as they have better idea of the state of the cavity when it was filled and will be more sympathetic , if you change you will have to go through the diagnostic process again. Continuity of care is best for you instead of moving to another without solid reason IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ajones

So I went back and found out the nerve in that tooth is very close to the surface, which explains the sensitivity.
    I chose to leave it for awhile as the x-ray didn't show any signs of infection or anything. Maybe it will settle down, but I have a feeling it's not going to.

So another filling is in order before trying root canal I think. Great!

Just thought I'd follow up on what's happened so far anyway in case someone else has similar problems

Advertisement