Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Threads on Netflix Original series

• 25-06-2014 3:55pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Should we come up with some kind of rule about making threads for Netflix series where all the episodes are released at once? I'd love to discuss Orange is the New Black for example but I can't go into the thread because I'll spoiler the episodes I haven't seen and if I wait until I'm finished I'll miss out.

Does this bother anyone else? I know there aren't a whole load of this kind of series out there at the minute but it's bound to be a more common feature in the future.

Enforcing spoilers throughout the thread would be a pain and the likes of OITNB are not popular enough to warrant a thread per episode but maybe there could be a thread for, say, every three episodes? Or some clevererer idea...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You could pre-face each post with:

The following post contains scenes of a graphic nature and spoilers for up to OITNB S02E08.

I think it's the one major flaw with releasing the show the way they do. I just avoid the threads until the end, that way no spoilers. I'm sure there's a less practical solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Maybe a subforum would be a good idea? Something that encompasses these shows that release all episodes at once which might not seem practical but this method only looks like increasing. This would enable you to have threads on each episode and get some real discussion going on individual storylines and plot points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, I agree. Something along the lines of the following would be good.

A new Television forum for each show, like the Game of Thrones one there already.
    Under that sub form then a sub forum for each season e.g. Season 1, 2, 3 etc.
    Then under each season a further sub forum e.g. Episode 1, Episode 2... etc.

It really was a killer watching House Of Cards not being able to discuss the show on here as some watched almost in one go whereas others watched at a slower pace. I could never read the thread because there were guaranteed to be spoilers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Netflix subforum? But then there's Hulu and Amazon and who knows what else

I don't think a specific Netflix subform is needed. Just a per show Sub Forum. Like, 1 for Orange Is The New Black, another for House Of Cards etc. That way, it doesn't matter who is airing the show be it Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or my uncle Dave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

I think having a subforum for every show would be a lot hassle, each would need a mod and the discussion and by extension the subforum would die a death when it's not airing which would mean something like a House of Cards or OITNB subforum would be ghost towns for close to a year at a time. A Streaming Television subforum could encompass Hulu, Amazon, Netflix etc and focus on episode by episode discussion. It would admittedly lead to a lot of threads but greater level of discussion and as I said this will only increase so would keep the subforum active and worthwhile. For example right now the subforum would be full of threads on OITNB episode discussion, but they wouldn't clutter it when another streamed show begins with that taking over the discussion, ie Hemlock Grove Season 2(if anyone watches that :pac: )

There are already plenty of ghost town forums around here for shows that have stopped airing. Not everyone will watch the episodes at the same time though so y9ou'll have some activity going on. Admittedly the real traffic will be in the first few months after a show airs. I'd volunteer to mod any forum relating to a show I was interested in and doubtless others would be the same. This has to be seriously thought of especially in the context of a whole swathe of new shows coming soon from Amazon and from Netflix themselves. There are those 5 Marvel shows that are planned. Like it or not, the Netflix model is becoming more and more prevalent so flexibility to accommodate this model needs to be provided, especially as this is a TV forum afterall.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd go with a Streaming TV forum as well where you could have a thread per episode. I currently can't go near the single threads for Netflix shows for fear of spoilers.

There's a number of existing shows that could benefit from this - 'House of Cards', 'Orange is the New Black' would be obvious ones but there's also 'Hemlock Grove', 'The Killing' and a number of new Netflix shows set to debut next year (e.g. Sens8).

One forum with a thread per episode of each series gets very, very hard to manage and navigate after a while, especially as more shows go this distribution route. AT a pinch perhaps organize by thread per show and then subthreads per episode if that's possible, like the way Game Of Thrones works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Right now the threads have a rule which spoiler anything just in case you have not seen an episode. Most people preface a spoiler with the episode they are speaking of
    A few months after a season is released, the rule is relaxed and people openly talk about that season.

I don't see what else is needed here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

A Binge Watching subforum, a catchall for any shows that may be released with this all at once forum. People will talk about the show a lot for a couple weeks and then nothing until the next show comes out. So there can be a lot of threads for each show and it won't clutter things up for people watching traditional weekly shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

EyeSight wrote: »
    Most people preface a spoiler with the episode they are speaking of

It rarely happens. In the past what I resorted to doing was checking the date the episode aired in the US and only read the thread up to that date to be sure I didn't catch spoilers.

I think a general Netflix etc forum would be good and within that forum you'd have an episode thread for each episode/program.

It wouldn't be that hard to navigate. Links could be put into the first post for the previous/next episode thread, things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It rarely happens. In the past what I resorted to doing was checking the date the episode aired in the US and only read the thread up to that date to be sure I didn't catch spoilers.

I think a general Netflix etc forum would be good and within that forum you'd have an episode thread for each episode/program.

It wouldn't be that hard to navigate. Links could be put into the first post for the previous/next episode thread, things like that.

But the point of this thread is for netflix originals which means the whole series gets released in one day(besides breaking bad and Dusk til dawn, but they were co-owned by tv studios).
    But i guess mods could bring in a rule that you must preface a spoiler with the episode
    For non-netflix shows, usually the thread says if it's following the US or irish pace. In those threads you should assume people are talking about the latest episode without spoiler tags - which I think is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I understand your point, but it was with reference to the first post in which people would like to see other peoples opinions and theories on episodes but are way behind the thread and with the best will in the world you will see spoliers somewhere along the way.

Advertisement