Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants

Options
  • 25-06-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Can anyone recommend a long term solution to getting rid of ants, used nippon gel, bait stations .... It has helped but they are still digging under patio slabs and under the concrete of my home... Each year when the heat come, they come too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Out of interest, as long as they are not in your home, what problem are they really? They are not carrying diseases or anything. Always saddened when folks want to kill ants just because they look unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

try the DIY forum, better answers there

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

Well i had them in my home and if you could only see the amount of sand etc they have dug around my house you would not be too pleased to see same i think if it was on your doorstep you might change your views

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

nidge123 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a long term solution to getting rid of ants, used nippon gel, bait stations .... It has helped but they are still digging under patio slabs and under the concrete of my home... Each year when the heat come, they come too

Yes, get yourself one of these

180px-BlueAardvark.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Well i had them in my home and if you could only see the amount of sand etc they have dug around my house you would not be too pleased to see same i think if it was on your doorstep you might change your views

Actually, I see them all the time in my garden and outside on the path. If they were in my home I'd likely concentrate on the obvious reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The only thing I have found that works (when we lived in the UK) is to get a decent insecticide and spray around every door and window frame where you think they are getting in, every couple of days. Then look behind cupboards/sink for any entry into the kitchen and spray there. Also make sure there are no food crumbs etc. on the floor. They follow scent trails in a house so washing floors with bleach etc. can help.

In all honesty, though, in the SE of England the ants rule and simply tolerate the humans. Flying ant day is usually in August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

See if you can find out out where they come inside and build a little border with copper coins, I've no idea why but they won't go past.
    (I wouldn't believe this when someone told me but for whatever strange reason it works)

Outside simply poor salt into the nests, they'll clear out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Mix water and white vinegar together 50:50
    Find their trails and spray with the mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

I get ant powder and put a line of it all around the base of every outside wall then you dont have to do windows etc and they wont come in,i had tried everything to stop them coming into house and this worked,they are still around outside but tg none inside,and a good layer of powder around water outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

Thanks for all your replies, i will let you know how i get on..... Wait till the sun starts to shine again tbh never had them before but built a study and sunroom onto house last year and was told we obviously disturbed a nest but one day about four weeks ago i had them in the study on window sills it was terrible, cannot see how they got in but one rid of them very easily inside but they have been busy ouside since.. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I've be using Ant Stop Powder for past two years and find it very good.

ant-stop-powder-300g.jpg

Advertisement