Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on Inis Mor this weekend (red bull)

Options
  • 25-06-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks
    I’m trying to get an idea of camping on Inis Mor this weekend I’ve been offered a chance to race on a Galway Hooker there but this is the red bull cliff diving weekend and it’s going to be busy. The guy running the camp site appears to have changed his number or his phone is not working, anybody have one please PM me. As a plan be it’s going to have to be wild camping (leave on trace) anybody ever camped there? All info gratefully received and treated with respect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tbaygirl2008

Hey spacehopper,

There is a group of us going camping too, haven't booked anything yet but I will let you know if I can track down the camp site man. I think there is only one on the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just back from Inis Mor had a ball. Camp site is easy to find just ask locally. Because of the red bull event the owner had opened up more fields. There was the main one with a small toilet block which is basic but clean. And two other small fields one of which was quite for those that wanted to sleep.

Between the beer blanket and been wrecked from sailing I slept like a baby. Island is great in the right weather and owner is sound he was drooping people back to the village all day for free. The are also local taxis which are very cheap or rent bikes. Go and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gbreathnach

Just back from Inis Mor had a ball. Camp site is easy to find just ask locally. Because of the red bull event the owner had opened up more fields. There was the main one with a small toilet block which is basic but clean. And two other small fields one of which was quite for those that wanted to sleep.

Between the beer blanket and been wrecked from sailing I slept like a baby. Island is great in the right weather and owner is sound he was drooping people back to the village all day for free. The are also local taxis which are very cheap or rent bikes. Go and enjoy.

Hey just wondering do you have a number for the camp site? Me and my friends are heading there in August but the number we have is ringing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Ring the Inis Mor Tourist Office tomorrow, and they should be able to tell you. +353 (0)99 61263

http://www.aranisland.info/things-to-see-do/inis-mor-inishmore-things-to-see-do/

Local pubs are often good for all sorts of information too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lickiring

Or you could just camp in the campsite, if the (very nice) chap isn't around he'l nab you for the 10 bucks at some stage.

• Advertisement

he lost his mobile and got a new number sorry I don't have it but don't worry about calling ahead he has one large filed and opens up more as needed you'll be fine just go an enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rtoma

What about wild camping? Is it possible?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

rtoma wrote: »
    What about wild camping? Is it possible?

It's a small island so you'd probably be on someone's property regardless of where you camp. You might get away with it in the dunes over near the airport though I suppose.

Just show up and ask around where the camp site is, there is plenty of space and he doesn't over charge, he's also a nice guy. If you google you'll find his nubmer on an Arrin Island accomodation site, he'd lost his phone the time I was there so I don't know if he changed his number or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Myself and three mates want to head west for a change camping,may bank holiday all being well.Is this place geared towards adults? ie cool for four lads coming back from the pub and finishing off the evening with a few nightcaps on site?Or is there a quiet rule after 11pm like some other sites which are family oriented?Normally we wild camp for these reasons,we were all in the scouts so its no problem to us but this time we need facilities.Also we normally just go up to wicklow for one night,two max and stay on our spot until its time to go home,this time however we want to go out at night for a couple of pints so showers and shaving facilities are a must :) Hostels not much of an option either,as we're too old,hostels are sh1te,and we want to camp anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement