Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ecuador vs France 21:00 RTE2

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mike65 wrote: »
    World's worst game. Ever.

I don't think it was all that bad for a nil all game

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Most boring match in the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I don't think it was all that bad for a nil all game

Ah it was terrible. Lack of quality from both teams. There's many a good 0-0 but this wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

France really couldn't be bothered with that it seemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Maybe having the French wear white wasnt the best idea?

Scottish rugby tops = goals galore

White jersies = couldnt score in a house of ill repute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    White jersies = couldnt score in a house of ill repute
    I wouldn't want to score in the Dail, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

RasTa wrote: »
    Ok so are you saying Valencia had every right to be pissed after the Sterling tackle? I understand why he was, surprised if you can't.

Sterling caught Valencia with his trailing foot, not his leading foot. Valencia made a cowards challenge.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sterling caught Valencia with his trailing foot, not his leading foot. Valencia made a cowards challenge.

Cowards yea but also coached to protect your self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A united vs Liverpool debate brewing?!
    Surely not!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Even though he made contact with the ball, the fact both legs are airborne make it a red. The lads are still in the 90's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I agree with the lads, unlucky on Ecuador, very game from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Valencia's was more nasty alright but Sterling's was still a red. You win I guess, hope you feel better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

This talk of two footed, lunged in etc.... His left foot when he made contact was planted flat on the ground, he sprung and then as he landed his left foot on the ground - he went in with his right, I don't see this as a two footed tackle, two footed implies you lunge in both feet or slide in two footed its clear as day his left foot isn't tackling at all it's on the ground... Not defending him, it looked bad and was probably a red but I think he was unlucky too with how the ball went. Don't see it as malicious or horrendous as some people here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Billy86 wrote: »
    I AM RAY HOUGHTON, AND RAY HOUGHTON GIVES CREDIT TO NO MAN!!

Ray this is what he should have done Houghton. Non-stop telling players what they should have done after the fact. "Oh he should have done this, oh he should have done that." I don't think he has the cop on to realise, how incredibly stupid and annoying his gormless commentary is.

Valencia's was more nasty alright but Sterling's was still a red. You win I guess, hope you feel better for it.

Sterling's was never a red.

It's not about winning, it's a forum for debate.

It's not about winning, it's a forum for debate.

Of course it was a red, not sure why you decided to debate it 3 weeks later in their 3rd game match thread.

http://balls.ie/football/vine-raheem-sterling-and-antonio-valencia-red-cards/

Of course it was a red, not sure why you decided to debate it 3 weeks later in their 3rd game match thread.

http://balls.ie/football/vine-raheem-sterling-and-antonio-valencia-red-cards/

2 reds for Valencia in "3 weeks", that's the only reason.

Imo, Sterling and Valencia in isolation both get yellow. Sterlings challenge is up for discretion with the ref, Valencia's reaction to it was not.

2 reds for Valencia in "3 weeks", that's the only reason.

Imo, Sterling and Valencia in isolation both get yellow. Sterlings challenge is up for discretion with the ref, Valencia's reaction to it was not.

Ok then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yes it was. He got sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Valencia has been looking a bit petulant and rough tackling through the three games in the World Cup. I was not surprised to see him tackle like that and not surprised he was sent off either. Only surprise for me concerning him during the World Cup is that he actually got a contract extension at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

French looking ordinary with a big turnover. Digne, schneiderlin not mature for this level. Pogba and Sissoko can't really be on the field at the same time, it's obvious it has to be one or the other. Benzema on an off day. This team lacked the cutting edge of Vabuena and Cabbaye. Varane proved he's absolutely needed in this team with his passing quality. It will be another day with Debuchy and Evra on the flanks with Valbuena relaying. Look at what they did to Switzerland. I reckon they will dispatch Nigeria and challenge Germany unless USA do them a favor tonight. France never failed to reach the semis when they went out of their group in previous WC.

Nothing to really take from this match against Ecuador apart from the fact that nobody was injured or booked. Could have done with a couple of goals though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yes it was. He got sent off.

Calm down Mr.Pedantic you knew what he meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

BoarHunter wrote: »
    French looking ordinary with a big turnover. Digne, schneiderlin not mature for this level. Pogba and Sissoko can't really be on the field at the same time, it's obvious it has to be one or the other. Benzema on an off day. This team lacked the cutting edge of Vabuena and Cabbaye. Varane proved he's absolutely needed in this team with his passing quality. It will be another day with Debuchy and Evra on the flanks with Valbuena relaying. Look at what they did to Switzerland. I reckon they will dispatch Nigeria and challenge Germany unless USA do them a favor tonight. France never failed to reach the semis when they went out of their group in previous WC.

Nothing to really take from this match against Ecuador apart from the fact that nobody was injured or booked. Could have done with a couple of goals though.

The only thing I got from this game is that France will not win the World Cup. Paul Pogba was even more selfish than Yaya Toure the previous night (but at least he didn't cost his country a spot in the last 16) and Benzema couldn't hit a barn door, so can't be relied upon when the pressure is on, IMO. Nigeria will really fancy their chances now. I rate their keeper better than that guy that France made look good last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jacool wrote: »
    The only thing I got from this game is that France will not win the World Cup. Paul Pogba was even more selfish than Yaya Toure the previous night (but at least he didn't cost his country a spot in the last 16) and Benzema couldn't hit a barn door, so can't be relied upon when the pressure is on, IMO. Nigeria will really fancy their chances now. I rate their keeper better than that guy that France made look good last night.

Pogba was very poor last night - hopefully that's a one off. Valbuena was really missed last night, as was Cabaye. With them back in the fold I think they will beat Nigeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seriously, nothing to take from that game about France last night, in a good or bad way. They knew they were through and played like it. Nothing mattered. They'll be completely different against the Nigerians in the last 16. I'm just majorly pissed I didn't have the cash on me at the start of the World Cup to make a serious wedge off them to qualify for the quarter finals at evens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ray this is what he should have done Houghton. Non-stop telling players what they should have done after the fact. "Oh he should have done this, oh he should have done that." I don't think he has the cop on to realise, how incredibly stupid and annoying his gormless commentary is.
    He is kind of like the anti Gruden. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

jacool wrote: »

Pogba was poor yes. He hasn't had a break in 2 seasons now and it started to show already with juventus. He won the -20 World cup last year. It was even more blatant yesterday because with the team shuffle there was no fluid movement and team mates werent easy to reach with quick passing. It stroke me to see France playing pedestrian last night but it makes sense after all knowing that they had nothing to gain from that match.

As for Benzema I don't know what you are calling pressure. Last night match was the most casual match they could play in a world cup. No pressure whatsoever. It was a real mid november friendly show up when the players know there is champion's league the week after kinda performance. Benzema could well be on 6 goals already ( Missed penalty, one given to honduras goaly and one scored as the ref was whistling the end of game ... ) he just didn't play well last night.

Enyama is a great goalkeeper and IMO the best player of Nigeria. In saying that I don't see France midfield being troubled by Nigeria. I fancy Sissoko coming back into the midfield beside Matuidi and Cabbaye, something he's better than the winger role he was asked to play yesterday. I'm not expecting France to walk over them but they should go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

@Boarhunter
    Good points, well made.
    I just felt that if Benzema is to be relied on he should be taking the chances he missed against Ecuador. The French will have to learn to keep their elbows down as well. Theoretically they could have finished with 9 players. Cabaye and Valbuena are better than what was on show there, but it implies, to me, that they haven't too much depth beyond the first 11. The draw sets them up to play Germany and that might prove to be a step too far, if they get past Nigeria(!)

Advertisement