Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer/Software Group Athlone

Options
  • 25-06-2014 9:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finding it hard to get in contact with the local maker space in Athlone. Anyone with an interest in Computers, Software and everything in between interested in putting a group together to meet once a week or once a month? I'm sure we could meet in one of the local bars with WIFI access.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Hi Itzy,

I'd be interested in trying to get another tech group going. We kinda lost steam with the last group as most of us ended up being busy, work commitments and such. Like that, I'm still busy with work/projects until mid-August but would certainly be interested in trying to get something going after that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If there's enough interest, we could hold off until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

I'm in :)

btw nice to meet you guys ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Nice to meet you too Leo. What would be the best place to meet? Where did the previous group meet Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

It is up to you guys

never been there ;/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

With the user group meetings, it was more or less pick a quiet pub and have a chat, talk about tech/projects etc...

We mainly had it in Richard Graces as it was quiet, but that has since changed hands and is a Steak House/Pub.

I'll think of a few places and post them up later today.

I'm guessing the Prince would be a suitable spot during the week at a reasonable hour in the evening or Weekends at an earlier hour. Sean's Bar when the weather is good, but I'm guessing they don't have Wifi, so that choice is a bit so and so. If you don't want a bar, then Gloria Jean's in the new shopping center or O'briens across from Dunnes would be ideal.

A while back I posted in the Linux Users Group Ireland, to see if People were interested in a Midlands Group. Apparently a group from Ericsson is interested in a Midlands Linux Users Group, so I created a forum and proposed an initial meet in the Prince on the 5th to discuss a more convenient time and place that suits everyone.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/midlandslinuxusers

I'm sure we could grow a space from the initial interest and meet up if any one shows up.

Just checked the Prince Hotel in the center of town. Has one or two quiet areas in the bar and a large Reception with couches. They also provide free Wifi and will also reserve an area for groups to meet up for free. Meant to mention if was the 5th of July for a first meet up to see if there really is any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

Something in the Midlands would be good.

Living in Mullingar but a bit of a drive would be ok.

• Advertisement

Hoping to meet up at 12 and be done for 2 at the latest on Saturday in the Prince, before the town closes off for the Triathlon.

Going to meet on Saturday in the Prince again at 2 this time around and see how it goes. Got to see the Athlone Hacker/Maker space last time, which is pretty cool.

Posting a Google Groups link reminder https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/midlandslinuxusers

Aiming for another meet up in the Prince at 2, a more reasonable hour should anyone have a sick :P

Going to meet for 3 pm, not 2 as stated, this Saturday if anyone is interested in coming along.

Anyone want to meet on the 13th of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

Hi! Nice to meet you all!

I've recently moved to near Mullingar, and would be very interested in coming along to some kind of computer/tech meetup.

Mail the lads at the Athlone Hacker/Maker space AthloneHackerspace@groupspaces.com We usually meet up on a Wednesday at 7pm. They can provide directions and let you know what will be going on for a night.

Advertisement