Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for low running cost ink jet printer

Options
  • 25-06-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an all in 1 low running cost ink jet printer. I have the HP envy 4500 which is a nice printer, but its run out of black ink after printing about 80 pages. The cartridges are fairly expensive to replace - about €30 and compatibles won't work with this model.

My priorities are, low running cost, wifi/air print compatible, cost and decent build.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Monsclara wrote: »
    Recommendations for low running cost ink jet printer

There is no such thing, they are all cheap as chips to buy so they can screw you on the ink, and they do!

Get yourself a good laser. I used to get Approx 120 pages out of my deskjet and am getting 2000 out of my laser. Toners might look expensive but there not at all in the long run.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Just bought the Samsung m2022w at Argos. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Best of luck with it ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I would recommend the HP officejet Pro 8100, colour inkjet.

Takes a 951xl ink cartridge, and you can get compatible with 3300 pages of black printing for €20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Inkjet printers do not like being left unused. Lasers do not appear to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thats especially true for Epson with their seperate printheads, but HP & Canon mostly have print head on the cardridge, so new printhead each time you replace the cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

You could also go for:

Canon MG3550

Stylish, compact Wi-Fi All-In-One with easy mobile printing Stylish and compact All-In-One with Wi-Fi for sharing and using from anywhere at home. With fast, high-quality print, copy and scan it also supports Google Cloud Print and Apple AirPrint. I found a price of €86.00 on the internet, incl. delivery and VAT.

or:

Canon Pixma MG6450

High-performance 5-ink Photo All-in-One with advanced Wi-Fi connectivity for direct printing from smart devices and cloud. Stylish, compact and easy to operate it offers superior quality prints. Price €165.00 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Can compatible toners be gotten for laser printers? this is a laser printer, from what I can see on argos. I can see toners online but not sure if they are cheaper than bricks and mortar but just the same manufacturer.
    There is no such thing, they are all cheap as chips to buy so they can screw you on the ink, and they do!

Get yourself a good laser. I used to get Approx 120 pages out of my deskjet and am getting 2000 out of my laser. Toners might look expensive but there not at all in the long run.

Same qs?
    compatible toners? can they be refilled?

I'm guessing my Epson inkjet doesnt do many pages, although I dont print as much as I used to, mostly b&w but at least Im getting the cartridges online, although some compatibles dont agree with my printer.
    I'd be tempted to get a laser printer, although from time to time I've printed documents that needed colour

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The biggest source of ink wastage in inkjet printers is the head cleaning process which perversely happens a lot more, the less you use it, as there is a tendency for the ink to dry in the print heads and clog them up.

Colour laser printers do something similar now and then to do automatic realignment, but this is purely based on the number of pages printed and isn't affected by periods of non-use.

I currently have an HP wireless all-in-one, but my next purchase will probably be a colour laser.

Advertisement