Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Camp In Spain

• 25-06-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm off to teach in a summer camp next week in Spain and it's my first real teaching gig since getting the CELTA! I hope overall it will be a good experience but at this stage there are definitely some nerves! The age group will be 10-17 year olds and some will be preparing for the Trinity GESE exams (grade 4, 5 and 6).

I'm wondering if anyone who has experience teaching this age group can recommend a good book\webiste that would have lots of activities and games that could be used for assisting with grammar, vocabulary and that could be easily mixed into my lessons? Is there a must have book that all you guys with years of experience use?

Also, would anyhow know where in Dublin to get the New Pass Trinity 5-6 Teacher's book? I have tried to order it online but it won't be delivered to me before I leave :-( Maybe someone has a copy the wouldn't mind lending to a new teacher!? :D

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm off to teach in a summer camp next week in Spain and it's my first real teaching gig since getting the CELTA! I hope overall it will be a good experience but at this stage there are definitely some nerves! The age group will be 10-17 year olds and some will be preparing for the Trinity GESE exams (grade 4, 5 and 6).

I'm wondering if anyone who has experience teaching this age group can recommend a good book\webiste that would have lots of activities and games that could be used for assisting with grammar, vocabulary and that could be easily mixed into my lessons? Is there a must have book that all you guys with years of experience use?

Also, would anyhow know where in Dublin to get the New Pass Trinity 5-6 Teacher's book? I have tried to order it online but it won't be delivered to me before I leave :-( Maybe someone has a copy the wouldn't mind lending to a new teacher!? :D

Thanks,
    M

Hiya,

I have tonnes of great books I could recommend, but rather than blind you with titles, I’ll give you the name of a couple that might help you.

Games for Grammar Practice: Maria Lucia Zaorob and Elizabeth Chin

Games for Vocabulary Practice: Felicity O Dell and Katie Head

Both of these books are indexed really well, so it is really easy to locate stuff based on a grammar point, theme or level. The grammar book deals with grammar themes that are typical of the majority of course books. The vocabulary book deals with themes that correspond with the unit layout of the majority of course books.

There is an exhaustive list of websites you can use. It would be a good idea to get a subscription for www.onestopenglish.com. You can access certain materials for free, but with the subscription, you have access to loads of games/resources that are easy to locate. Another one is www.teachitworld.com. You can get some good stuff on there too if you sign up for the subscription, but perhaps not as extensive as onestop.

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in Dublin, so not sure about bookshops that would stock those books you mentioned. Hodgis Figgis, maybe??? I have located the odd obscure TEFL book there in the past. Or Chapters?? Not really sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hiya,

I have tonnes of great books I could recommend, but rather than blind you with titles, I’ll give you the name of a couple that might help you.

Games for Grammar Practice: Maria Lucia Zaorob and Elizabeth Chin

Games for Vocabulary Practice: Felicity O Dell and Katie Head

Both of these books are indexed really well, so it is really easy to locate stuff based on a grammar point, theme or level. The grammar book deals with grammar themes that are typical of the majority of course books. The vocabulary book deals with themes that correspond with the unit layout of the majority of course books.

There is an exhaustive list of websites you can use. It would be a good idea to get a subscription for www.onestopenglish.com. You can access certain materials for free, but with the subscription, you have access to loads of games/resources that are easy to locate. Another one is www.teachitworld.com. You can get some good stuff on there too if you sign up for the subscription, but perhaps not as extensive as onestop.

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in Dublin, so not sure about bookshops that would stock those books you mentioned. Hodgis Figgis, maybe??? I have located the odd obscure TEFL book there in the past. Or Chapters?? Not really sure.

Thanks ever so much for all that fantastic information! It is very much appreciated!

All the best,
    M ;)

Advertisement