Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World cup - empty seats

• 25-06-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

why are there so many empty seats at the world cup in the biggest football nation, they must be charging big bucks for tickets which is a joke they should lower prices and fill the stadiums

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://in.news.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/empty-seats-are-a-product-of-returned-tickets-not-being-reallocated-173905862.html
    According to SeatGeek, several tickets to matches were returned either by teams or sponsors and those tickets were not reallocated by FIFA. So, provided that is true, there are tickets just sitting in the electronic ticketing ether that are going unused.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Happens all the time at big tournaments. Sponsors hand out freebies to various people, and because they get them for nothing the holders don't feel that they're losing anything by not going to the matches, so they don't bother their arses. Obviously that means a lot of real fans who'd give their right arms to be at the matches miss out, but with money and corporate sponsorship calling the shots these days it's something that is unlikely to change any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

why are there so many empty seats at the world cup in the biggest football nation, they must be charging big bucks for tickets which is a joke they should lower prices and fill the stadiums

Better to sell 42000 tickets at $100 than 45000 at $50.
    And reducing the prices in the run up to the game to shift the last few thousand seats would be terrible business policy (for much the same reasons that Ryanair don't give cheap seats on the day of the flight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Better to sell 42000 tickets at $100 than 45000 at $50.
    And reducing the prices in the run up to the game to shift the last few thousand seats would be terrible business policy (for much the same reasons that Ryanair don't give cheap seats on the day of the flight).

Tickets are around $175 aren't they? Think that's what my brother said he paid last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

Tickets are around $175 aren't they? Think that's what my brother said he paid last week.

the prices differ for different stages of the cup don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

josh101st wrote: »
    the prices differ for different stages of the cup don't they?

Dunno, that was for a group stage game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

True. Though my key point really was with the OPs assertion that prices should be reduced. If they able to sell 95% of seats at $X, then $X is probably close to a correct price. Especially as (as zaph gave an example of) the empty seats are caused by more than just the 'too expensive' factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wait until we get to Russia and Qatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

Dunno, that was for a group stage game

oh right yeah as far as i know they can only go up in price from the group stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have to say I've actually seen f*ck all empty seats and I've watched pretty much every match. It was particularly bad at the Champions League and Europa League finals this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's a disgrace and is giving the Manchester City players an advantage by making them feel like they're playing at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

^^See that City fans? You're never more than two metres away from a sick burn bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Keno wrote: »
    It's a disgrace and is giving the Manchester City players an advantage by making them feel like they're playing at home.

True but it could be worse.

If Brazil hadn't finished building the stadiums in time and had to play in a dump, the Liverpool players would have that "home feel" advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm sure that there are many fans there that are happy enough to go to a one off game and spend ALL their time taking photos and not getting into whats going on during the match.

Gives an unfair advantage to the Manchester United players IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

True. Though my key point really was with the OPs assertion that prices should be reduced. If they able to sell 95% of seats at $X, then $X is probably close to a correct price. Especially as (as zaph gave an example of) the empty seats are caused by more than just the 'too expensive' factor.

with a few of the games it looked more like 80%, that's not just purely unused tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH its not unique to this World Cup it was the same for the last one. It's a combination of sponsor tickets given to people who don't bother to go to the matches and ticket prices that are beyond the spending power of the average punter in the country it's based.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/7830742/World-Cup-2010-empty-seats-undermine-Fifa-claims-over-poor-attendances.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

with a few of the games it looked more like 80%, that's not just purely unused tickets.

There are some games you just couldn't give tickets away for I'd say. Even without hindsight, Nigeria-Iran was never going to be an attractive fixture and to ask someone to pay $175 for that is chancing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I dont think the stadia have been full of empty seats -
    sure in some of the hotter areas fans moved out of the sun, since it was too hot
    ok some of the less favourable fixtures may have had a reduced attendance but overall there has been a carnival like atmosphere and especially the dressing up etc.
    Great fans from USA, Germany, Holland and Mexico mixing together as well as the South American fans have made the tournament special
    thankfully there was not a ticket fiasco like for the London Olympics when top sports stars were playing in front of sparse crowds such as olympic tennis etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Keno wrote: »
    True but it could be worse.

If Brazil hadn't finished building the stadiums in time and had to play in a dump, the Liverpool players would have that "home feel" advantage.
    I'm sure that there are many fans there that are happy enough to go to a one off game and spend ALL their time taking photos and not getting into whats going on during the match.

Gives an unfair advantage to the Manchester United players IMO.

At least we all agree Arsenal are being unfairly disadvantaged :D And yet:
    BrjGTw4IcAAYuIc.jpg

Advertisement