Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another newbie with questions.

• 25-06-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Just have a few questions about starting out on a bike. Sure you're all sick of these types of threads by this stage but still.

1. I know you have to do IBT after you pass your theory test, is it normal enough to be a complete newbie starting out with IBT? I've never been on a bike before and haven't a clue where to start.

2. What do you think of a dragstar 125 as a first bike?

3. Is it stupid to buy a bike first before even doing your theory? Think I've found a nice bike that's not too expensive but god knows how long it'll take before I can start driving.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I suggest that you learn first by doing the IBT course.
    Use the school bike.
    When you finish ibt, you will know a lot more about what you need, and be able to ride it safely.

After Theory test is passed, you need to go to the NDLS office to apply for a Learner permit.
    You need a learner permit before you do the ibt course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    1. I know you have to do IBT after you pass your theory test, is it normal enough to be a complete newbie starting out with IBT? I've never been on a bike before and haven't a clue where to start.
    When I started I was 25 and never had been on motorbike, not even a mopped.

IBT (or what was equivalent to that in Belgium at the time) will give you the start you need.
    You may have to ask for a few more practical lessons to feel more at ease with the bike.
    See how you progress and talk too your instructor, he will be in the best position to advise you.
    And school bike are usually selected to be easy to handle and you won't worry too much about dropping it. Better to do it with the school bike that with your own.

And take it easy at first.
    (I hope you're handy enough on a push bike :p)

Advertisement