Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer for programming

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a Laptop I should buy. I am in college at the moment and will be starting computer programming (JAVA Language) and app development in September.

Any suggestions as to what type of laptop to be considering would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a Laptop I should buy. I am in college at the moment and will be starting computer programming (JAVA Language) and app development in September.

Any suggestions as to what type of laptop to be considering would be great.

Thanks

You can program on any laptop really, but I'd recommend Windows over Mac, just to avoid any incompatibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Leave yourself enough money to spend on a real monitor/keyboard/mouse.
    Coding on small screens, unless you're writing BBC Basic, is just inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

if your gonna be developing apps you'd want a fairly decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

if your gonna be developing apps you'd want a fairly decent one

Not really. Android AVD Manager is a horrible slow monster of a thing on any system, and that's if he's even going to use it. He might have his own device to debug on.

Nothing he does in college is going to take any more than a few seconds to compile. Anything at all will do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

I second the large screen dilemma. Your not going to need a beast of a system to code on. <Make sure it has a full hd screen and preferably a 17". Also invest in a seperate mouse, i find the trackpad annoying when coding...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I can vouch for the lenovo thinkpad though. Lovely bit of kit to work with if you do have to use the built in keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

More large screen advice. Beware though, make sure it has a decent resolution. A lot of laptops these days skimp on the display resolution because people mostly just look at size.

Next thing on my list would be plenty of RAM and a keyboard you're happy with (a large screen usually guarantees a decent sized keyboard).

After that, if it's purely for coding, battery life, then I wouldn't really care about the rest of the spec.

Advertisement