Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice beaches not far from Cork city

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

I know of Myrteville, it was nice but it was a bit small and quite rocky. I've heard of Fountainstown but apparently it's not amazing. I want a beach similar to Fanore, Lahinch, Spanish Point or Kilkee in Clare, if you've ever been to them. Big sandy peaches with plenty of open grass/small town by them.

I have no car, I can use public transport or hitch if it's not too far out. I've always been told Cork has lovely beaches, I'd really like someone to show them to me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

There is a reason the second biggest harbour in the world, can't compete with spit banks and depositing tides.

Our harbour silts up with fine mud as we are so protected we are in a weather envelope, we don't suffer the worst of almost any storm.

A good storm can deposit a three foot deep sandy beach on you over a weekend, one needs to be in the path of violent weather regularly enough to build sandy deposits, we are in calm waters so we collect the heavier elements, hence a predominance of stony beaches, mud beaches and boulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Red Nissan is right, the beaches nearest the city in the lower Harbour are small and some are stony. None are like the big, open beaches in Clare.
    For these, you need to go further. Try Garryvoe or Youghal in East Cork (both on public transport), or Garretstown or Inchydoney in West Cork. There are around 2 buses per week (!) to Garretstown. No public transport to Inchydoney, but you can get the bus to Clonakilty and get a taxi, hitch or even walk.

Rosscarbery is also nice, not too long a walk to the beach from the bus drop-off.

Barleycove has really spectacular beaches like the ones you describe but it's at least a two hour journey from Cork, and I think the public transport ends a few miles short of there at Goleen. Cork is big :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

There are some lovely beaches in both east and west cork but public transpost doesnt service them and they can be isolated. Fountainstown is just past myrtleville and has a bus going but dunno how often it is. Not the nicest beach in the world but its ok an hour after high water as the sand is exposed. Garretstown is a nice beach too and also has a bus service.
    Inch in kerry is one of the nicest beaches you will ever see anywhere. A bus to killarney and then onto dingle will get you to it. A bit of a trek but worth it if you could head off early and ome back late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

+1 to Barleycove and Garryvoe. Two great beaches but they are a bit of a drive away. Garryvoe is closer but still a good half hour drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Inchydoney isn't too far out, but I'm not sure how public transport takes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

inchydoney for my money better then garrvoe but barleycove best. Inchydoney is about a 40 minute walk from the bus in Clonakilty though but think you could hitch or get a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Balmed Out wrote: »
    inchydoney for my money better then garrvoe but barleycove best. Inchydoney is about a 40 minute walk from the bus in Clonakilty though but think you could hitch or get a cab.

Have you done that walk?

It's very hilly, very steep, I know I gave up on those school tours when I was a kid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My favourites are Garryvoe and Garrettstown. I often take the dog there. Lots of good suggestions - I might check them out! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

No mention yet of the Dock beach in Kinsale by anyone.
    This small sandy beach is sheltered and also great for swimming. Adjacent to James Fort and has views across the harbour to Charles Fort.
    Bus to Kinsale - very frequent all day.
    And 15 min walk to the Dock beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I find that garryvoe has become quite dirty, but further up the road is Shanagarry strand which is a lot cleaner and sandier. I like walking the dog between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Have you done that walk?

It's very hilly, very steep, I know I gave up on those school tours when I was a kid. :)

Think as a child it seemed worse. Done it loads of times and cycled many more, used to jog to the beach and back from the town a few times a week till my knee went. Completely flat until the very end by the beach. Stick to the coast side and there's only one small section of very steep hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭kooga

public transport from parnell place to fountainstown. you cant beat that

Advertisement