Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plain or self raise

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

which do you pefer to use plain flour and add baking powder? or self raising?
    if receipe is self raising and all you have in cup board is plain flour, how do you judge the amount of baling powder to add?
    thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Hi

Which do you pefer to use plain flour and add baking powder? or self raising?
    If receipe is self raising and all you have in cup board is plain flour, how do you judge the amount of baking powder to add?
    thanks

Add about two teaspoons of baking powder per 150g of plain flour along with a pinch of salt.

I generally personally prefer to use actual self raising as I usually have a large collection of flour on hand including self raising. I also find its easier than having to go adding baking powder and calculating the right amount to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Hi lomadesigns,

I prefer to use plain flour just because I can control the level of baking powder that i add if needed. Plain flour acutally has 1% baking powder added to it, self-raising flour has 3% added so just do your sums and add 2% to make plain flour into self raising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I also prefer to use plain flour, out of practicality.

I usually have a stock of plain flour, wholewheat flour, strong flour, rye flour, and maybe a few other random ones I am experimenting with,
    so I don't bother clogging up the press when I can easily add baking powder to plain, but that's just me. Others prefer to have both.

Advertisement