Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Wear Watches hit the Google Play Store...Ireland too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking to get a watch on Amazon, budget of 150-200. Any recommendations?

Looking at the Sony Smartwatch 3 or Moto 360. Would it be worth waiting a few weeks for newer options like the Asus Zenwatch 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'm looking to get a watch on Amazon, budget of 150-200. Any recommendations?

Looking at the Sony Smartwatch 3 or Moto 360. Would it be worth waiting a few weeks for newer options like the Asus Zenwatch 2?

Depends on what your looking for, they all do the same thing so you should just get one you like the look of.

beno619 wrote: »
    Depends on what your looking for, they all do the same thing so you should just get one you like the look of.

Thanks, Sony 3 has a great spec and price (99GBP) but the black rubber looks a but sporty (i wear a suit everyday) and steel one is almost double the price, so think it is a case of waiting for the Asus Zenwatch 2 to hit Amazon or increasing budget to get the Moto 360 2 or Huawei watch.

Any options I am missing out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Thanks, Sony 3 has a great spec and price (99GBP) but the black rubber looks a but sporty (i wear a suit everyday) and steel one is almost double the price, so think it is a case of waiting for the Asus Zenwatch 2 to hit Amazon or increasing budget to get the Moto 360 2 or Huawei watch.

Any options I am missing out on?

I'm in a similar position and currently rocking a Pebble Classic.

If your near a CEX it might be worth popping in to see if they any 1st gen Moto 360's you could try out, they look much better in person imo and are reasonably priced these days.

Another option is the LG Watch Urbane.

Do you care about amoled vs lcd ?
    Do you require an ambient light sensor ?

beno619 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position and currently rocking a Pebble Classic.

If your near a CEX it might be worth popping in to see if they any 1st gen Moto 360's you could try out, they look much better in person imo and are reasonably priced these days.

Another option is the LG Watch Urbane.

Do you care about amoled vs lcd ?
    Do you require an ambient light sensor ?

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Don't mind Amoled or LCD once there are no known screen burn issues. Ambient light sensor would certainly be a plus for outdoor use but not absolutely essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I just want to chime in here and say I am in the exact same position as CantGetNoSleep and the description suits me perfectly too so I just want to thank the people giving suggestions, I'm most likely going to buy one today and will most likely decide based on this thread, appreciate the info folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't forget to check out argos, I got my Sony smartwatch 3 there and it is discounted to €139, they also have the urbane discounted to €239, there are a few others also.
    I like the Sony because you can use an ordinary phone charger cable to charge rather than a cradle and so you can top up in 20 mins if needed if an app goes bananas and drains your battery by lunchtime.
    Feature wise, pretty much all current watches are the same, some have an optical heart rate sensor that is fairly useless and others have gps, which you can get from your phone anyway.
    I would go cheap to dip your toe and wait for the next generation for the fancy stuff, bearing in mind that your old smartwatch will become your "rough" watch.

fenris wrote: »
    Don't forget to check out argos, I got my Sony smartwatch 3 there and it is discounted to €139, they also have the urbane discounted to €239, there are a few others also.
    I like the Sony because you can use an ordinary phone charger cable to charge rather than a cradle and so you can top up in 20 mins if needed if an app goes bananas and drains your battery by lunchtime.
    Feature wise, pretty much all current watches are the same, some have an optical heart rate sensor that is fairly useless and others have gps, which you can get from your phone anyway.
    I would go cheap to dip your toe and wait for the next generation for the fancy stuff, bearing in mind that your old smartwatch will become your "rough" watch.

This is what is putting me off splashing out on something like the Huawei watch, these are first gen devices and could be obsolete in 12 months, whereas I have had my current watch for 10 years. I might go for the rubber Sony and hope it looks OK at work given that it is less than half the price of some of the others with similar specs (I need to buy from Amazon as I have a voucher)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Get watchmaker premium and you will have acess to more watchfaces than you will know what to do with from the facerepo.com site.
    I was going to upgrade and discovered that none of the current options were an actual upgrade as the hardware is pretty standard and the cosmetic change just doesn't justify the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I got myself a 2nd Gen Motorola 360 and am loving it.

Despite my initial skepticism about smart watches in general, I think this model balances the price vs. functionality vs. doing what a watch should do.

I also think what the above posters said about 1st gen devices is important. A lot of the devices are 1st gen, so will come with quirks and flaws. That's part of the reason I went for the Motorola - because it is a 2nd generation device.

Patww79 wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily agree.

It all depends on what you want to do with the device. For me, I want something that tells the time and alerts me when needed. Anything else is a bonus - being able to reply to WhatsApp/SMS via voice, setting reminders using nothing other than voice, getting news headlines.

I want all of that in a nice package that doesn't look like a relic from a 1970's Sci-Fi movie.

• Advertisement

Again, I don't see that. I find the watch very responsive and intuitive.

I have not used previous iterations of Android Wear, so I have nothing to compare the current version to.

I'm getting two days out of mine, but I do put it into airplane mode at night.

Granted, I haven't used it during working hours (more notifications/replies), so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

The night time face (while charging wirelessly) is a nice addition. I am a sucker for aesthetics. :)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I got myself a 2nd Gen Motorola 360 and am loving it.

Despite my initial skepticism about smart watches in general, I think this model balances the price vs. functionality vs. doing what a watch should do.

I also think what the above posters said about 1st gen devices is important. A lot of the devices are 1st gen, so will come with quirks and flaws. That's part of the reason I went for the Motorola - because it is a 2nd generation device.

Mind me asking where you got it & how much?

• Advertisement

Mind me asking where you got it & how much?

Expansys.ie and it was about 275 Euro (that's ex-VAT - I think it was put through the family business, not 100% clear on how that was done).

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Expansys.ie and it was about 275 Euro (that's ex-VAT - I think it was put through the family business, not 100% clear on how that was done).

Thanks, it is 229 on Amazon Es and 262 on Amazon Fr, will wait for it to drop on UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

nedd wrote: »

Actually just doing a little googling and the 46 looks massive, I might spring for the 42. Would love to see some of these in person to check size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

42 Inch might be a bit big for most normal peoples arms :P

emmetkenny wrote: »
    42 Inch might be a bit big for most normal peoples arms :P

Haha true.

Anyone guess what the UK lightning deal price might be? Cheaper than the 229€ delivered from Amazon Spain?

Actually just doing a little googling and the 46 looks massive, I might spring for the 42. Would love to see some of these in person to check size.

Yeah, the 46mm is huge. While I didn't get to see it before I bought it, I am glad I went for the 42mm.

I did get to compare the 2nd Gen 42mm with the 1st Gen 46mm at Dixons in Dublin airport and it confirmed what I suspected - that the latter is huge and too big for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Mattyking

does the Samsung gear live supports cellular connectivity, Google has released a smartwatch support cellular connectivity, then we should not be bothered to carry the bulky smartphone during a outing.

The Gear S comes with a radio and not the Gear live. Neither run Android Wear though.

• Advertisement

Dangerous in what sense? RF radiation? Bad fashion choice? :p

The cellular urbane was binned a few days after release too as they were found to be dangerous.

From what I've read there was a problem with the display which meant there was a high likeliness of it failing down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Pre-ordered the black Moto 360 Sport from Amazon UK. I was looking at the Sony SW3 but there are apparently terrible problems with the GPS. Should have it some time next week (hopefully) as the release date is Friday. From what I understand, the Sport is based on the 42mm 360.

moto360sport.jpg

42mm Moto 360 is 270 delivered on Amazon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

42mm Moto 360 is 270 delivered on Amazon now.
    Still cheaper from Amazon Spain, 230 delivered for the same watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where in Dublin can I see the Moto 360 2nd gen in the flesh? I want to compare the sizes before ordering one.

Where in Dublin can I see the Moto 360 2nd gen in the flesh? I want to compare the sizes before ordering one.

I haven't seen them anywhere. Motorolo have a pdf you can print on a4, cut out and compare sizes on your wrist.

• Advertisement

Just went for the 42mm Moto 360 2nd generation from Amazon ES, thanks to everyone here for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Dord wrote: »
    Pre-ordered the black Moto 360 Sport from Amazon UK. I was looking at the Sony SW3 but there are apparently terrible problems with the GPS. Should have it some time next week (hopefully) as the release date is Friday. From what I understand, the Sport is based on the 42mm 360.

moto360sport.jpg

Listed in Argos but slightly more expensive http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4815765/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTOROLA.htm

jimmynokia wrote: »

Not that bad, but I'd expect that their price might go up. Amazon are giving a discount for preorder and it's coming in at around 250e. Just reading up a bit and apparently the 360SP is 45mm.

Saw this on HUKD and figured it may interest some here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SW2-Android-Liveview-Smartwatch/dp/B00HQIN4DY/

Sony SW2 for £54.95 (approx 74.50EUR) with free UK shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Dord wrote: »
    Saw this on HUKD and figured it may interest some here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SW2-Android-Liveview-Smartwatch/dp/B00HQIN4DY/

Sony SW2 for £54.95 (approx 74.50EUR) with free UK shipping.

Man that is fugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm considering a new wearable. Currently have a Sony smartwatch 3 but I gave it to my son.
    I am looking for something that has more versatility.
    Ideally something that looks a little "dressier" and is waterproof.
    Decent activity tracking would be a bonus as would a heart rate monitor.
    I'm currently leaning towards LG Urbane or the moto 360 2nd gen any other options out there?

• Advertisement

Picking up an Urbane tomorrow, Eir on Henry Street have one on display. Looks lovely imo and not as large in person.

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm considering a new wearable. Currently have a Sony smartwatch 3 but I gave it to my son.
    I am looking for something that has more versatility.
    Ideally something that looks a little "dressier" and is waterproof.
    Decent activity tracking would be a bonus as would a heart rate monitor.
    I'm currently leaning towards LG Urbane or the moto 360 2nd gen any other options out there?

I don't think you will get any Android Wear smartwatch that is totally waterproof. Splash/dust-resistant, yes, but none that you can immerse in water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

AR game for those interested,tested in myself found my phone heating up quick,be interesting to see how others fair out..

TILT - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirteen.tilt

I am really considering the Moto 360 46mm version now. Does anyone know if there are deals to be had on it? Amazon.es had it discounted last week but the price has gone up again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement