Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Wear Watches hit the Google Play Store...Ireland too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

Managed to get a silver 360 through a rather unofficial route - will update with my thoughts on using it after a few days.

59CMbYS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

smackyB wrote: »
    Managed to get a silver 360 through a rather unofficial route - will update with my thoughts on using it after a few days.

59CMbYS.jpg

What wod the unofficial route be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How much? Heading to Vegas next week and might pick one up.

I ordered off Best Buy site and had it delivered to hotel (Hard Rock). Its sold out on Best Buy i think, but they seem to be dripping new stock in now and then. I used the stock checker at http://www.nowinstock.net/electronics/smartwatches/motorola/
    and ordered it day before my flight with expedited delivery. Was there when I arrived. You do end up with an american plug, but this can be swapped with any other HTC/Nexus/Samsung charger you might already have.

Update on Moto 360 use. Was at 100% charge at 7.30am on Monday and had 10% remaining at 7.30am this morning. Usage was mainly receiving of notifications, few health features (Fit activity, heart monitor) and music control. In addition am using a custom watchface wich may drain abit more power than standard ones.

So that is a true 48+ hours of real world usage. Very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Now all I want to do is buy one !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Now all I want to do is buy one !

Same.

Great looking watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was holding a hammer over my watch this morning as an excuse

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wynnie12

Any update when the moto 360 will be available here? Dying to get hold of one too

listermint wrote: »

Took awhile to come through OTA but finally got this update. Main change (for me anyway) is the music playback screen. Alot more centralised and adds volume control. A welcome addition as it saves me looking like im playing pocket pool on the tube :D

Also understand there is an update to Android Wear coming on November 3rd....so looking forward to the new features there.

Have had 6 people so far ask me "Is that the new Apple watch?!" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Music playback update is excellent! Looks Like material design starting to show up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

Anyone know what price the Moto 360 will be when released in Ireland? Just announced a $329 price here in Oz but not sure whether to buy here or at home. Not sure if warranty is worldwide either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The G Watch R got a favourable review on Android Central. Issues centre around lack of ambient light sensor and cheap feel of the device but the positives are that it has outstanding battery life and performance is great with the latest Wear update.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g-watch-r-review

I still think it's the best looking watch available so far and will look even better when paired with a metal strap.

The G Watch R got a favourable review on Android Central. Issues centre around lack of ambient light sensor and cheap feel of the device but the positives are that it has outstanding battery life and performance is great with the latest Wear update.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g-watch-r-review

I still think it's the best looking watch available so far and will look even better when paired with a metal strap.

You're still very much on a sparsely populated island with the best looking watch piece :)

listermint wrote: »
    You're still very much on a sparsely populated island with the best looking watch piece :)

Hey no point following the flock :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

So some thoughts having used the 360 on and off for the past week or so:

- It's quite nice to use but has a bit of a learning curve. There are heaps of gestures that can be used throughout the UI and it takes a bit of time to learn what gesture does what.

- Having notifications come through from the phone is very handy, at a glance I can see if I need to respond to whatever app is trying to get my attention rather than fishing out my phone each time.

- The health/fitness stuff is quite nifty, the heart monitor is relatively accurate but the pedometer is usually way off. The integration with Google Fit looks promising.

- There are some annoyances with how some notifications work - I can pause Spotify but not skip to the next track without swiping to the side to expose more controls. None of my Viber notifications appear on the watch for some reason either.

pXLDzTS.jpg

- Battery life is not too bad, I was getting through 2 days of fairly normal usage no problem.

- It charges incredibly quickly!

- I wasn't sold on it initially but when I lent it to a friend for a weekend I found myself really missing having it on my arm.

TLDR: It's a really nice bit of kit but at £199 I don't think it provides quite enough utility for the price.

PS: Look out for a Next Bus Dublin wearable app soon :)

Thanks for the update smackyB.
    I've pre-ordered the LG G Watch R from Amazon. Not due for delivery until mid November.
    The worst thing is, I can't use it as it's going to be my Christmas present. God-dammit Jesus! :o

The Google Play music app used to work like the way you describe spotify but since the Wear update to 4.4w.2 it is much better where volume and the forward and back actions are all on one screen, you can also load music directly to the watch now and listen through Bluetooth headphones even without your phone nearby.

...you can also load music directly to the watch now and listen through Bluetooth headphones even without your phone nearby.

How does it work with Google Play Music? Do you "pin" songs/albums to the watch similar to how it works on the phone app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

Starting to like the look of the Sony Smartwatch 3 now as well. Wonder how long until the big Chinese brands start unleashing their own watches- xiaomi, elephone etc?

How does it work with Google Play Music? Do you "pin" songs/albums to the watch similar to how it works on the phone app?

Yes, you need to turn on a setting in the app on the mobile and then music you pin is downloaded to the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was playing around with the Sony Smartwatch 3 during the week. It's the first smart watch I would consider buying. It doesn't feel as bulky as the Moto, LG and Samsung watches when it's on your wrist. Plus it is a nice looking watch as well and they say it will give you 3 days of usage, the bezel is the only thing I didn't like about it.

Phandroid have detailed some updates that will come with the next version of Android Wear.

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/11/android-wear-5-0-lollipop-features-revealed-smartwatch/

You can recover dismissed cards and also make some simple screen brightness changes with just a few swipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Phandroid have detailed some updates that will come with the next version of Android Wear.

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/11/android-wear-5-0-lollipop-features-revealed-smartwatch/

You can recover dismissed cards and also make some simple screen brightness changes with just a few swipes.

Looks like some nice features.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting an LG G Watch, as it seems to do what I want and is far more affordable than the others. I know there are prettier looking watches, but it's the functionality that I'm after.

They're hard to come by 2nd hand though, so Amazon seems like my best bet. I'm not paying €199 plus postage off the Play Store!

Looks like some nice features.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting an LG G Watch, as it seems to do what I want and is far more affordable than the others. I know there are prettier looking watches, but it's the functionality that I'm after.

They're hard to come by 2nd hand though, so Amazon seems like my best bet. I'm not paying €199 plus postage off the Play Store!

They all more or less have the same guts except for the new Sony watch that has internal GPS but that wont be a huge differentiator for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Anyone have a LG G Watch R?? Thinking about getting one. They look the business.

What's the story with the corroding pins on the G watch? Was it only the really early ones that had that problem or was it something that the firmware update solved?

Also, how does the white strap hold up after a bit of wear? Does it get scruffy looking really easy?

So I just pulled the trigger a G Watch. Should arrive the post tomorrow. It's still new, in box, but originated in the US, so I guess the power adapter won't work. Not too bothered about that, it's standard enough voltage and ampage from what I can tell.

The photos that the seller sent are a little blurry, but I think it might say that it's an AT&T version. Does that matter? I didn't think they were in any way carrier branded. Am I right in thinking this is not a problem?

Android Wear is not customisable by manufacturers or carrier so it can't be AT&T branded.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Maybe the name of the original retailer goes on the sticker with the price and serial number.

• Advertisement

Lads, if I was to order one from eBay for 250 what import duty would I be hit with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Lads, if I was to order one from eBay for 250 what import duty would I be hit with ?

Potentially 23% of the item cost AND shipping combined. Plus there would be an administration charge as well. Some items sneak through undetected, some are picked up though.

Ordered a LG G Watch R from Handtec. Was supposed to b shipped in 24 hours but they emailed to say it won't ship for 4-5 days!!

Got my gWatch this morning. All good so far except....

I cannot get the reminders to work. It will initiate the reminders function and transcribe exactly what I am saying correctly. It then goes to the "saving" screen with all the correct details as dictated, but then it goes to a grey screen saying "sorry that didn't work".

Anyone else with this issue and a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Right, I've decided to go for the LG G watch r instead of the Moto 360. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get one is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

How are people getting the Moto 360?

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Right, I've decided to go for the LG G watch r instead of the Moto 360. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get one is

I've one ordered from Handtec.co.UK. Costing €280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

eoz wrote: »
    I've one ordered from Handtec.co.UK. Costing €280

Hmmm, it's only 299 dollars in USA (240ish), might get my sister in States get it and send it home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Orange store have the G Watch R for €269 with free shipping IIRC. Showed up on Pricespy when I was looking not too long ago.

Moto 360 is also €249.95 in Argos.
    http://store.orange.com/eu/electronics/watch/lg-g-watch-r-eu-black-266379/

Orange store have the G Watch R for €269 with free shipping IIRC. Showed up on Pricespy when I was looking not too long ago.

Oh great, just after I spend 280 getting it from the states !

One in stock in the Ilac Centre too :mad:

• Advertisement

Got my LG G Watch R today. First impressions good. Bigger than I thought and looks great. Will take a bit of getting used to. Does anyone have any good recommendations for apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Just got the moto 360 in Argos of all places after hunting the web! Nice one boards/IrishStuff09!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

sean72 wrote: »
    Just got the moto 360 in Argos of all places after hunting the web! Nice one boards/IrishStuff09!

I thought it was pre-order only on the Moto 360. Is it available to buy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

nedd wrote: »

Seems to be. Just reserved mine.
    Not 100% sure on buying since the hassle of getting it has kinda annoyed me and there is talk of the next version but buying from a real shop makes it impulse buyable.

One left.

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=3077827

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

nedd wrote: »

Just saw that argos had them available on this thread and indeed they had one in Cork so reserved it and will collect tomorrow. As for a new version coming out, I'd say it'll be at least 6 months and then it'll be state side only for a few months before it hits this side of the pond.

So does anyone know how fedex handle customs charges ?

Do they require payment on delivery or do they invoice you seperately ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

The Motorola watch looks excellent. Might be tempted closer to Christmas as a present for myself.
    What watch would you guys consider the best ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

So they're here, €199 seems reasonable.

[

So it's shipping included ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Motorola watch looks excellent. Might be tempted closer to Christmas as a present for myself.
    What watch would you guys consider the best ?

I have played with the Sony, LG's and Moto. They each have their positives, and negatives. Sony is nice as it has a simple look and the watch piece and strap blend into one without looking overly bulky, this would be my current favourite but I'm holding out for the Asus Zenwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jester77 wrote: »
    I have played with the Sony, LG's and Moto. They each have their positives, and negatives. Sony is nice as it has a simple look and the watch piece and strap blend into one without looking overly bulky, this would be my current favourite but I'm holding out for the Asus Zenwatch.

Any idea on release for the Zenwatch ? I can't find anything myself.

Advertisement