Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules regarding overtime?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question. Some time ago, my son started a full time job with a company.

He works between 45 and 54 hours a week depending if he does a Saturday or not... 7.30 - 5.30 with an hour for lunch - so 9 hours a day...He is paid an hourly rate.

But there seems to be no overtime pay at all be it time and a half or double time.

Is there employment rules regarding this behaviour of his employer? Or is it all depending on the contract he signed?

Thanks for any info on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Also note that if his hour lunch is unpaid (which is increasingly the norm) then his weekly hours would be 40-48.

There is legislation (The Organisation of Working Time Act) which govern the maximum working hours permitted in a week (averaged over a reference period) but that does not guarantee payment of overtime.

Nody is correct, overtime is subject to his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

At the moment there are a lot of salaried employees doing overtime for nothing its just expected in the role and with cut backs redundancies and job losses people will do a lot to keep the company happy. Its a sad state of affairs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also note that if his hour lunch is unpaid (which is increasingly the norm) then his weekly hours would be 40-48.

Increasingly the norm?

I have never experienced a paid lunch break in over 25 years n the workforce. Anyone else?

Don't think I'd want it either - because if it's paid, then you're not really free to use the time ad your own discretion, leave the building etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the replys,

I had a funny feeling it was whatever his contract stated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Increasingly the norm?

I have never experienced a paid lunch break in over 25 years n the workforce. Anyone else?

Don't think I'd want it either - because if it's paid, then you're not really free to use the time ad your own discretion, leave the building etc.

Same here, never have had a paid lunch hour in about the same amount of time working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Increasingly the norm?

Yes. My last 3 jobs paid for your lunchtime. A lot of factories offer a half hour paid lunch, its quite common. My current office job is the same. But yes, if you leave the building or have an appointment etc, you only get paid exactly for the half hour exactly. Over that, you have to make up the time/go unpaid. Pros and cons to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'd be the same, the only job I've had that didn't pay lunch was a summer job in Burger King back when I had more hair and less waist.

And the current one allows me to leave the building on my break as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Back in 1931, Dominick Hackett of the Division of Industrial Hygiene in New York State Department of Labour wrote of paid overtime (as all overtime then was paid): " “The worker, at a disproportionate cost of energy, is getting an increased wage and keeping others out of badly needed jobs. Is this fair on the part of the employer? Is it fair on the part of the worker? Is it good for anything or anybody in these times when we must search the world for work in order to keep people from starving? Extreme use of overtime, at this time, is inexcusable.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Increasingly the norm?

I have only even had a paid hour for lunch, disregarding jobs as a youngster.
    Of course you you can still leave the building and use it at your own discretion, realistically no difference apart from you are paid which shortens your workday.

• Advertisement

Public sector and private sector have grown apart on overtime. In the Haddington Road Agreement (which for some reason wasn't named after Beggar's Bush, where it was negotiated):

http://www.thejournal.ie/haddington-road-agremeent-922129-May2013/

Overtime will be paid at time-and-a-half for workers under €35,000 and time-and-a-quarter for those over €35,000; those already working over 39 hours a week will be asked to work one hour a week, unpaid, until the end of next March [2014]…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Public sector and private sector have grown apart on overtime. In the Haddington Road Agreement (which for some reason wasn't named after Beggar's Bush, where it was negotiated):

http://www.thejournal.ie/haddington-road-agremeent-922129-May2013/

Overtime will be paid at time-and-a-half for workers under €35,000 and time-and-a-quarter for those over €35,000; those already working over 39 hours a week will be asked to work one hour a week, unpaid, until the end of next March [2014]…

Yeah - but do they actually get overtime? Or is everything dealt with as time-in-lieu, either official or unofficial?

When I was a government worker, you were expected to get your job done in core hours. If you wanted to spend longer doing it, that was your concern. The only ones who paid overtime were relatively low paid people (earning under the "overtime bar") doing very measurable jobs eg accounts clerks who had to process more invoices that they had core hours to do, or call centre operators who had to cover particular hours.

Time-off-in-lieu is very valuable! This is holiday time that you're paid for!

Advertisement